How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #46
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've been in phoenix in the summer, wouldn't want to drive without AC. I'd start saving, you can get a unit from jeep air for a little over 1K. and to the poster that asked about r12, you can get it on ebay.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #47
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I notice most of the folks who think ac in a jeep is a waste live in the north, you should try Florida summers at 105 and 80 percent humidity for a couple of months. It would be like me being in Florida telling you guys in CT, MI and Nodak you dont need a heater just because it doesnt get very cold here
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #48
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
i may live in CT but when we have 100* temps, we also have 100% humidity. id take 120* with no humidity over 80* with humidity any day
Agreed. People think it doesn't get AC worthy up here either.
I have one, but it doesn't work. The fan on it helps a bit though.

Windsor gets 90F+ days at least 69 times per summer, and the highest humidity in the country thanks to the Great Lakes, and the most smog days thanks to some friendly factories down river in Detroit.

Quote:
panaceabeachbum I notice most of the folks who think ac in a jeep is a waste live in the north, you should try Florida summers at 105 and 80 percent humidity for a couple of months.
You're saying its 187*F where you live, for a couple months?
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #49
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

My Heep lives with a Bikini top all summer. Just the right amount of shade to keep the sun off.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #50
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It comes down to a matter of choice, get AC or deal with it, like most on here have said. I personally am too lazy to carry around extra clothes to change every time I drive somewhere.

I see a lot of people on here seem to think it is just as hot where they are as AZ where the op is from. I have spent most of my life living in SC and FL and know quite well the summer heat and humidity. But the 100+ days are not daily, don't tell me they are because I'm from there and I know better. If you think a 20 degree increase doesn't make a difference, I assure you it does. I have been working in the middle east for the last 8 years and bought my Jeep here. In the summer 120+ days are almost daily and we are on the coast so the humidty can be just as bad as the south east. I may be a wuss, but couldn't do it without the AC.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #51
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There was a thread about a guy who took a window ac unit and installed it in the back of the jeep. From what I can remember the cost of that can be closer to half of the factory ac system if you don't buy the upgraded parts he did(he said you could probably go with less). OP should try that.
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #52
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the summers in southern az. are brutal, last time I was there was in late october with temps still hitting mid 90s. yah its a dry heat but 110+ is still 110+. if you havn't been there you really have no idea what its like. I live in south fla and I'll take our 90's and high humidity any time.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #53
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly the way to drive it in the summer heat is start it put it in gear and go same way in the spring fall and winter. This thread has moved to the weather

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #54
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

The way to drive with no A/C? really....?

No problem just carry extra tampons.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
There was a thread about a guy who took a window ac unit and installed it in the back of the jeep. From what I can remember the cost of that can be closer to half of the factory ac system if you don't buy the upgraded parts he did(he said you could probably go with less). OP should try that.
I remember that thread. The guy wired a home 110v room AV unit to the back of his Yj.I guarantee that his AC system did not work. Other than looking like hell. By the time the cool air reached the front of the cab it would be warm. The AC only worked in the back of his rig.

Try pointing the AC vents in your car to the floor and see if your AC cools your car. It won't.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #56
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i will be removing the ac unit from my 88 yj this week while im stripping down for my build. if you are interested i will sell you every thing pump condenser hoses everything .I have no use for ac . Summer is about a week long around here . You just need to figure the shipping out .
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #57
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming that you will not be adding AC to your jeep.
> Act as if you were going on a 3 hour mid-day hike, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
> Sun block--super high spf.
> A good bikini top would probably work OK for shade but a wide brim mesh hat would be good also.
> Polarized sunglasses--I sunburned my eyeballs last summer---F'ING hurt.
> Light airy clothes--dry wick fishing shirts and golf shirts are my faves. Going shirtless is just asking for a sunburn/ windburn and if you ask me very uncomfortable if you have vinyl seats.
> A towel or two to cover your seat and steering wheel while it's parked.

Some things that you can do to your jeep to make it a little more tolerable...
> Add sound deadener/heat barer (dyna mat) to the firewall and floor. Especially under your feet and seat.
> Add carpet. Ive been thinking about having some carpet made like the stuff in boats that is snap in/out with a rubberized backing.
> By-pass your heater core.
> Pick up a 12v fan to help keep the air moving.
> Make sure that your engine is running as cool as possible by flushing the cooling system and keeping the radiator clear of debris.

It gets hotter than hell here in OK. Last year we had several weeks of 110+ temps with humidity in the 60% to 80% range...my AC was not working in my jeep and I lived. However I didn't drive it if I had to go someplace and look and smell nice.

Good Luck!
MegaCabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #58
tilo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you look into bikini tops, specifically "best top" make sure you look into drilled. A lot easier than non-drilled. I have a non-drill sitting in the shed collecting dust. I would offer it to you but it's for a TJ. Good luck
tilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #59
MegaCabMan
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you do want to add AC.

Any R12 system will work with 134A and can be switched over for less than half the cost of one can of R12.

Basically all you need to do is flush the old oil out and replace it with POA or PAG compressor oil (depending on the compressor's specifications.)

Then you screw on the 134A port adapters on the high and low side and charge the system.

Here is a temp chart I found online that should get you close.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...1/freon-check/
For vehicles currently running with R-134a only
Outside-----low side-------High side------Center vent temp
60 F -----28-38 psi----130-190 psi ----44-46 F
70 F ------30-40 psi ---190-220 psi ----44-48 F
80 F ------30-40 psi ---190-220 psi ----43-48 F
90 F ------35-40 psi ---190-225 psi ----44-50 F
100 F -----40-50 psi ---200-250 psi ----52-60 F
110 F -----50-60 psi ---250-300 psi ----68-74 F
120 F -----55-65 psi ---320-350 psi ----70-75 F
MegaCabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #60
Vermonter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run a safari top and no doors from April to November. The safari goes farther back and keeps the sun off the back of your neck. When it's 100 and the humidity is really high I fill a water bottle with ice water, so I don't die on the longer trips! You will get used to the heat after a while. My wife gets mad when we drive in her car and I shut off the a/c and roll down the windows.
Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.