How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer?

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRICK1024
I purchased a factory takeout for my CJ on ebay. Paid $200 and it had everything to install. I live in Georgia and it reaches high 90's to low 100's plus humidity. I have only used it a few times because my Jeep is a weekend driver and most of the time the top is off but it is nice to know it is there.
Where'd you find R-12 to put in it? Or was it retrofitted for R-134a? I live in Alabama and would like to have AC eventually but I don't know how feasibly it is to take a old ac system out of a YJ or cj and make it compatible with today's refrigerant requirements.

deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #32
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteryjSS

lol easy for you to say because it seems like you live in a cold place .. try living in arizona!
Try living In Tn in the summer it's 110+ and humid as hell. I'll trade

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermjd View Post
Where'd you find R-12 to put in it? Or was it retrofitted for R-134a? I live in Alabama and would like to have AC eventually but I don't know how feasibly it is to take a old ac system out of a YJ or cj and make it compatible with today's refrigerant requirements.
R-12 is still sold for Ag air conditioners.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #34
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermjd View Post
Making a older AC work with R-134 is not problem. Only need to change over a few O rings. Until your old R-12 AC unit quits, I have mixed R-134 with R-12.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #35
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to live in Glendale. I had a tj then. I would leave the top up and the doors and windows off. It's not too bad. You'll get used to it. Until it rains.
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
Gearhead231
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is AC? Ive had two yjs and one xj and none of them have AC. There is a reason YJs have vinyl seats

Bikini top is a good idea for a sun shade. They make an AC kit but I wouldnt spend the time or money.
Cherokee Creto-This is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
Gearhead231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
FizzMaster15
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have bought 3 on Craigslist for 40 dollars a piece. The pop up but snatch them quick fortunately for me all three work so I'm set. Btw not all three ACs are for the same jeep I have 5 jeeps right now. Very well worth it. The people in here that drive with no top on with no problem my hats off to you i can't do it!
FizzMaster15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #38
Mr.ThunderMakeR
1991 YJ Wrangler 

< Drove YJ for 8 years in Phoenix with no AC. Most of my suggestions have already been covered.

Take doors and windows off, but in the dead of summer you MUST keep the top on for shade. I would recommend the full factory top (minus windows) for the max amount of shade possible. A bikini top will leave you vulnerable from the back. I've never tried those mesh tops, but if they're anything like the mesh umbrellas and screens on various patios, then I would NOT recommend one. Phoenix sun will still burn you through those things.

Whenever possible drive with no shirt or it will be soaked. Yes you look like a redneck but oh well that's the Jeep life. Hopefully you don't have a suit-and-tie job. If you do, wear something else for the drive and change once you get to work. In fact its just a good idea to have a spare change of cloths anytime you have to drive more than 20 mins.

Avoid driving in the middle of the day. A 9-5 job is good because its not too hot yet for the morning commute. The drive home sucks though! An added bonus is if you can get a job where you commute the opposite way of rush hour. Stop and go = no wind, which sucks. I used to live in Tempe and commute to N. Scottsdale or E. Mesa. Those commutes weren't too bad, even during the summer.

One final Phoenix tip: monsoon season sucks. Its still hot as balls so you want to keep the windows and possibly top off. But you never know if its gonna rain on any given day. Keep a spare rag handy to wipe down the inside of your windshield. You WILL get rain in your Jeep during monsoon season, no way around it.
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
illest
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Who drives Jeeps nowadays? My Jeep fly's
illest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #40
luvcycles2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

6 pack and a wet towel
luvcycles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #41
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since your in the desert you have that dry desert heat which isn't bad. Just keep lots of cool water and unzip the windows and what not if you have them. Just keep something over you in order to keep you shaded. Don't leave the whole top on because that vinyl plastic traps heat and it becomes like an oven.
The last texas summer was killer, we had 60+ days of 100+ degree heat, no rain but enough humidity to make the heat unbearable, oh and did I mention that major lakes in the Dallas area lost up to 20 feet of water? That's true. I do not know what I would have done if I didn't have A/C last summer. Instead of warming the jeep up, I had to cool it down.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #42
AppStateTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaYJ View Post
No doors, unzip the windows out of your soft top, sunscreen, and drive fast.
That is exactly what I did when I had my YJ. I even had an aftermarket a/c system. It was not that great and didn't keep up with southern humidity. I picked up one of those battery powered fans at the drug store (for stop lights). Got some inquisitive looks, I'm assuming they were checking out the Jeep.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #43
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteryjSS View Post
Hi i'm a new owner of a 1993 jeep yj 4.0 and I know it's winter right now, but I wanna know how you guys are able to tolerate the heat in the summer. My jeep has no a/c and I live in Arizona so 110 is the average in the summer during the days.. What should I do to be able to drive in this heat? Haha
3 choices,
1) Buy an AC unit.
2) Drive with no doors/windows and bear it.
3) Sell it and get a car.
And yes, I realize I am from Wisconsin but people were driving cars, CJ's and trucks in Arizona long before AC was the norm. I am pretty sure you see some motorcycles out and they have no shade.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #44
zman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
< Drove YJ for 8 years in Phoenix with no AC. Most of my suggestions have already been covered.

Take doors and windows off, but in the dead of summer you MUST keep the top on for shade. I would recommend the full factory top (minus windows) for the max amount of shade possible. A bikini top will leave you vulnerable from the back. I've never tried those mesh tops, but if they're anything like the mesh umbrellas and screens on various patios, then I would NOT recommend one. Phoenix sun will still burn you through those things.
This guy nailed it.

Mesh tops sux in AZ, been there done that. You need a full top, not the bikini. No matter what you are going to sweat a couple pounds off every day so be ready to get sweaty.

As far as rain, if you have front doors on with windows you can stay pretty dry with the factory soft top.
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Easy Answer-

1) Get AC.

2) Not getting AC? Then simply no- shirt, shoes, doors, windows, stop lights, drive-through's, and exposed pale skin. Oh and sunglasses are essential for the look.

Its part of the fun of having a jeep, enjoy it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.