How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > How to drive a jeep with no a/c in summer?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandboost98 View Post
ACs are over rated. the only reason i would have liked to have one in my jeep would be to turn it into oba. just take the top and doors off and get a bikini top. i deleted the AC system in my car a long time ago and couldnt be happier
Dude, you live in CT.

Try living in AZ, or the sub tropics of Fl and then say that.

I have to laugh at you guys that say you do not need AC, or that you are a wimp with AC. Not one of you live in a area that is extremely hot. A few days a year of hot weather does not count.

AZ weather gets to 120 in the shade. Driving in 110 to 120 heat is worse as the 110 heat is blowing at you, and not cooling you. Try turning your oven to 110 and feel how hot it is. Place a fan in the oven and turn it onto your face. Now tell me you do not need AC

For sub tropics FL weather. Walk into a steam room which is pretty close to our summer weather. Then tell me you do not need AC.

pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Bikini top, light weight clothes, and a ball cap.

If you want creature comforts, don't drive a YJ. Econo-box rides with AC are cheap, get one of those if you want comfort.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No doors, unzip the windows out of your soft top, sunscreen, and drive fast.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Lemoore-on
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try a bag of ice on the floor board............

92YJ with some stuff done to it.
Lemoore-on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #20
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Dude, you live in CT.

Try living in AZ, or the sub tropics of Fl and then say that.

I have to laugh at you guys that say you do not need AC, or that you are a wimp with AC. Not one of you live in a area that is extremely hot. A few days a year of hot weather does not count.

AZ weather gets to 120 in the shade. Driving in 110 to 120 heat is worse as the 110 heat is blowing at you, and not cooling you. Try turning your oven to 110 and feel how hot it is. Place a fan in the oven and turn it onto your face. Now tell me you do not need AC

For sub tropics FL weather. Walk into a steam room which is pretty close to our summer weather. Then tell me you do not need AC.
I like the addition to this post! It doesn't get 120* here but temps will see 110* with severe rolling blackouts so there isn't any A/C even at home. It's hot! I've spent some considerable time in AZ and that's also hot. Also for some reason every military base in the world (except Ft Lewis) is built with the intent of killing the soldiers with hot and/or humid weather and possibly boredom.

Being hot stinks! Luckily, January is still in its infancy and that bastard Punxsutawny Phil better see lots more winter in his stupid little forecast when that time comes.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i may live in CT but when we have 100* temps, we also have 100% humidity. id take 120* with no humidity over 80* with humidity any day
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #22
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have ac it's great but when it's turned on the gas hand wants to race to the bottom of the tank and kill by already horrible mpg

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #23

I just put the top down and remove the doors and enjoy it. However the hottest it gets here in summer is around 90*, but it does get quite humid too. I was able to score a new in box aftermarket heat/ac unit on ebay for a little over 300 bucks a couple years ago. Brand new condensor, compressor, universal lines, hoses, under dash unit, etc. I bought it for my muscle car but it would work in a jeep too.
444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #24
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I live in the desert of so cal and I run with out the top and doors on with a hat and sun block. Luckily for me I got a mesh full top for Christmas so I'll be adding that.
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
jpringles
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsteryjSS View Post
Hi i'm a new owner of a 1993 jeep yj 4.0 and I know it's winter right now, but I wanna know how you guys are able to tolerate the heat in the summer. My jeep has no a/c and I live in Arizona so 110 is the average in the summer during the days.. What should I do to be able to drive in this heat? Haha
It's a jeep thing..... someday you'll understand!
jpringles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Hollingsheadj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fix the AC or man up? Really no other options here that are practical....
Hollingsheadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Drove my CJ with no AC for 10+ years in Louisiana heat and humidity. Bikini top is a MUST to keep the sun off of your head. Top down all summer, pull the drain plugs when it rains, carry a towel to wipe the sweat occasionally lol
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
monsteryjSS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollingsheadj View Post
Fix the AC or man up? Really no other options here that are practical....
lol easy for you to say because it seems like you live in a cold place .. try living in arizona!
monsteryjSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
HAMRICK1024
1983 CJ7 

I purchased a factory takeout for my CJ on ebay. Paid $200 and it had everything to install. I live in Georgia and it reaches high 90's to low 100's plus humidity. I have only used it a few times because my Jeep is a weekend driver and most of the time the top is off but it is nice to know it is there.
HAMRICK1024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRICK1024
I purchased a factory takeout for my CJ on ebay. Paid $200 and it had everything to install. I live in Georgia and it reaches high 90's to low 100's plus humidity. I have only used it a few times because my Jeep is a weekend driver and most of the time the top is off but it is nice to know it is there.
Where'd you find R-12 to put in it? Or was it retrofitted for R-134a? I live in Alabama and would like to have AC eventually but I don't know how feasibly it is to take a old ac system out of a YJ or ch and make it compatible with today's refrigerant requirements.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.