Hate people who think that adding a lift makes a yj a $7000 jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Hate people who think that adding a lift makes a yj a $7000 jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Sawicki4wd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hate people who think that adding a lift makes a yj a $7000 jeep

Just figured I'd start a thread of horror stories of people asking crazy money for a yj. Just today I emailed a guy with a 93 yj with the 2.5. It had a 4" rough country lift and a set of 33s. I asked him lowest he'd take. He says make me an offer so I said $2000 bucks. He goes um $6500 is the bottom number for me. I try to explain to him that no yj with a 2.5 is gonna bring that money unless it's made of gold. He goes with all the after market up grades this thing is amazing. So I ask what has he done to it. He tells me the lift a front bumper and side steps and "a bumping system" I'm like non of those things add real value. Then he tries to tell me that it's a top of the market lift kit. At this point I'm just dying so I say oh I didn't realize that a $450 lift was top of the line. And I then show him a picture of my baby and he goes look at that hunk of junk and I go my lift kit prolly cost me more then your jeeps worth. Stupid people.

Sawicki4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not a lift, but I went to see a 94 Sahara with 155,000 miles not long ago. The springs were practically inverted, the front right to the point that the front wrap had come off the bushing, some typical rust, and it had a plow.
I ask how much he wants and he says 5K. I ask if he's joking and he says the plow itself is worth 4K.
I say drop the plow and I'll give you 1500. He refused and said he'll never get the jeep off the property if he does that. I say WTH are you talking about? I'll give you money and then its gone! You live in the country. That plow would be outta here if it wasn't attatched to the jeep. But no sale. Oh well.
WindsorRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stopped and looked at one on the side of the road the other day, I believe it was a 93 with a V-8 engine. Body was beat up, rusted up and it had about a 6" home made body lift of some kind on it with inverted springs. The dash was ripped out, the bezel for speed-o and RPM gauge was laying in the passenger seat but no gauges. Tires were gone, no tread and dry rot. No one was there so I thought I would call and see if cheap enough, use it for spare parts. They wanted 7k. Said the motor only have a few hundred miles on it since overhauled and installed. It was a lady on the phone and I just told her "Good Freakin Luck" and hung up.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Many people don't realize that with a YJ, the condition its in has more to do with the value than anything. Especially up here in the Rust Belt. And aftermarket mods tend to *drop* the value, or at least they won't add anything to it. Straight, original, and rust-free metal along with a clean interior and mechanically good is actually worth the most around here anyways. Mileage is rarely a factor.

True story: about 20 yrs ago, a buddy of mine built his dream Camaro. Full NASCAR cage and full NASCAR engine, with nitrous on top of that. 12-bolt rear, drag gears, custom frame and suspension... had about 45K into it. Its still one of the fastest cars around here. Broke his heart when it was only valued at 12K maximum...

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 12-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: det
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
... had about 45K into it. Its still one of the fastest cars around here. Broke his heart when it was only valued at 12K maximum...

I have to think he could get more at auction than its appraised for, but that's pretty risky. Man, that's rediculous.
WindsorRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade View Post

I have to think he could get more at auction than its appraised for, but that's pretty risky. Man, that's rediculous.
I think he finally decided to keep it and restore it when he retires. He's kinda busy with family nowdays, so its sitting in a barn under a tarp. What a pity, the block alone was like $4500. chrome-moly crank was another $2500... the list goes on and on... ported aluminum reverse-flow heads, It was a lot of fun tho, 750 HP at the wheels 7500 RPM's it would actually keep up with the race bikes and eats ricers for breakfast

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 12-08-2011 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: hp
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This thread delivers.
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
BLLDOGG
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It shouldn't make you mad that these people are so stupid to think it's worth that much, you should laugh that someone ever worse off is going to pay it.
()_)- ()_)-----)_)
BLLDOGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLLDOGG View Post
It shouldn't make you mad that these people are so stupid to think it's worth that much, you should laugh that someone ever worse off is going to pay it.
Hey, maybe somebody will offer you some crazy big number if you ever need to sell! Its a win-win!
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I thought they were worth 8k if you add a 6" shackle lift, 5" body lift and seat covers.....
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
pariah24
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The value is whatever someone will pay for it. If it's not worth it to you, then just say "thanks, but no thanks" and move along.
pariah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

when I was in looking for a jeep a few years ago I couldn't tell you how many people I called to see what they wanted for there YJ's. there was so many of them for over $5k that should have never been over $3k. I came across this one that was a '94 that had a lift and 35 inch tires with a 4cyl with rust holes throughout the body and floor boards. The frame was the same way and the guy was asking $6400 because he just put the lift, tires, and brakes on the month before. I told him to have a good day. I saw that jeep sit there for almost a year.
stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think it really is about condition many times. It's not uncommon, I see my share of 7k stock yj's around here.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got lucky and bought mine from a friend as he was leaving the country. Things tend to be expensive over here so $3k was pretty good I thought, for here especially. 4 years later wtih only a 3/4in shackle lift and slightly larger tires and I get asked by some of the Arabs in Landcruisers if I am willing to sell it. I might ask the next one how much he is willing to pay just out of curiosity.
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Saw one on CL the other day out here that they wanted $17K for.

BTW, not tech.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.