Great jeep story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Great jeep story

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
drewmiller

Great jeep story

Let me start by saying, I'm a stupid high school kid and driver of a 96 cherokee. Well, I like test the limits of my completely stock XJ, especially when I'm with my buddies.
So one day, I took a couple of my best pals and my younger brother out duck hunting at some public land. We shot some wood ducks, but it was snowing and we started getting cold, so we decided to go for a ride in my jeep to warm up and pass the time. I tore up some old logging trails and then decided to hit the major mud hole. It's in the middle of plumb-**** nowhere and there's just one deep thick mud hole at the bottom of a hill. I had taken my jeep through it before, but they had recently done some excavating on the hill or something so it was really steep and, I didn't realize it at the time, but there were some large rocks at the bottom.
Anyway, I slammed through there enough times to satisfy my friends, but I went through one last time just for the hell of it. We heard a pretty loud clunk, but I passed it off as nothing because the jeep still drove and sounded good. After we got out of that hole we had pretty well warmed up; the ol cherokee really blasts the heat. So, we decided to check one last spot for ducks before heading home.
We got to the spot and I got out first and I smelled gas. I said to my pals, "something smells like gas-o-line! They smelled it too, and naturally I went to look at the gas tank. I damn near soiled my drawers at the impending sight. Gas was gushing out of my tank onto the ground below. I immediately panicked and figured I had to save some gas so we could make it home. We kept thinking of something to collect it with and our best option was my brother's knee high rubber boots. They weren't even his boots; he had borrowed them from my father. But we had to work fast, for there was only so much gas left. It wasn't long before we got both boots filled with gas and I got my arms and most of my clothes soaked with gas. Once the rest of the gas had drained out I looked to see if it would even be possible to repair and get back home. There was a puncture about the size of a quarter right in the corner of the tank and the entire corner was smashed in. I tried to patch it with duct tape, but that didn't hold. While I was under the gas tank, I must have accidentally kicked the boots that were holding all the gas and my friend nick noticed, but by that time half the gas was already gone. "Son of a *****!" I exclaimed. I was devastated. We took a quick break to reflect on things and think it over while eating little Debbie peanut butter crunch bars. That helped a lot. Since there wasn't much gas left, and I couldn't really get to the hole in the tank because of the plastic covering, we called my friend, cole and asked him to come down and bring gas, duct tape, and tin snips. We had nothing to do while waiting for cole, so my friend bryce, and brother devan wanted to go try to shoot some ducks. I was totally pissed off and nick said something about how I shouldn't just let all that gas go to waste. We were all thinking it, but nobody said it until Bryce spoke up and said we oughta light all the gas on fire. I knew it was stupid; we all knew it was stupid, but it had to be done. So we pushed my jeep a reasonable distance from where all the gas had poured out and they decided that I should light it since it was my gas. I refused, for I was soaked in gas and was afraid I would burst into flames. So nick, having not gone under the jeep where all the gas was as Bryce and I had, went to light it. There was a big puddle and Bryce said it was all water, but nick figured much of it was gas, so he struck a match and tossed it in. The entire puddle and much of the surrounding ground immediately burst into a flaming inferno which nearly engulfed nick. Fortunately he got out unburned. We were all awestruck by the 20 ft high flames and plumes of black smoke that rose above them. I took out my phone and captured a video and some photos, but not before the fire had burned down a ways. I was incredibly lucky that the fire didn't follow a path back to my jeep or I'd really have been ****ed. The fire wasn't going out and we were afraid a warden would come by since we were on public hunting grounds. Eventually we got it out, but it took at least 20 minutes of throwing snow on it. Not much later though, we heard a vehicle coming. Luckily it was just some hunters and not a warden. They didn't even stop.
Pretty soon, cole arrived and he had gas and tools and I got to work. I was able to cut away the plastic cover with the tin snips but I still didn't have anything to plug the hole with because cole's duct tape didn't stick either. After searching through my jeep and cole's ford explorer we were still clueless. Then I found a rubber frog fishing bait (common for fishing largemouth bass) in my glovebox. It was the perfect size to plug the hole! We then put gas back into the jeep from Cole's can and Devan's boots and I was able to drive to Bryce's house, get cleaned up, eat burgers, and then cole, devan, and I went in to watch film for football.
I permanently replaced the tank in shop class a few weeks later after patching the major hole and having it leak from under one of the straps. The gas tank replacement was pretty tough, but now she's back in tip top shape.

drewmiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, one big page of words. I can't even read it.
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Wasn't that hard to read. The guy had good spelling, sentence structure, and proper punctuation. Missed capitalization a few times, but it was a lot easier to read than some of the 100-200 word posts that have no punctuation with every other word misspelled.

Good to see some kids are paying attention in class.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not a bad story but I'd have found it hard to read as a big block of text so I broke it up with a few line breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmiller View Post
Let me start by saying, I'm a stupid high school kid and driver of a 96 cherokee. Well, I like test the limits of my completely stock XJ, especially when I'm with my buddies.

So one day, I took a couple of my best pals and my younger brother out duck hunting at some public land. We shot some wood ducks, but it was snowing and we started getting cold, so we decided to go for a ride in my jeep to warm up and pass the time. I tore up some old logging trails and then decided to hit the major mud hole. It's in the middle of plumb-**** nowhere and there's just one deep thick mud hole at the bottom of a hill. I had taken my jeep through it before, but they had recently done some excavating on the hill or something so it was really steep and, I didn't realize it at the time, but there were some large rocks at the bottom.

Anyway, I slammed through there enough times to satisfy my friends, but I went through one last time just for the hell of it. We heard a pretty loud clunk, but I passed it off as nothing because the jeep still drove and sounded good. After we got out of that hole we had pretty well warmed up; the ol cherokee really blasts the heat. So, we decided to check one last spot for ducks before heading home.

We got to the spot and I got out first and I smelled gas. I said to my pals, "something smells like gas-o-line! They smelled it too, and naturally I went to look at the gas tank. I damn near soiled my drawers at the impending sight. Gas was gushing out of my tank onto the ground below. I immediately panicked and figured I had to save some gas so we could make it home.

We kept thinking of something to collect it with and our best option was my brother's knee high rubber boots. They weren't even his boots; he had borrowed them from my father. But we had to work fast, for there was only so much gas left. It wasn't long before we got both boots filled with gas and I got my arms and most of my clothes soaked with gas. Once the rest of the gas had drained out I looked to see if it would even be possible to repair and get back home.

There was a puncture about the size of a quarter right in the corner of the tank and the entire corner was smashed in. I tried to patch it with duct tape, but that didn't hold. While I was under the gas tank, I must have accidentally kicked the boots that were holding all the gas and my friend nick noticed, but by that time half the gas was already gone. "Son of a *****!" I exclaimed. I was devastated.

We took a quick break to reflect on things and think it over while eating little Debbie peanut butter crunch bars. That helped a lot. Since there wasn't much gas left, and I couldn't really get to the hole in the tank because of the plastic covering, we called my friend, cole and asked him to come down and bring gas, duct tape, and tin snips.

We had nothing to do while waiting for cole, so my friend bryce, and brother devan wanted to go try to shoot some ducks. I was totally pissed off and nick said something about how I shouldn't just let all that gas go to waste. We were all thinking it, but nobody said it until Bryce spoke up and said we oughta light all the gas on fire.

I knew it was stupid; we all knew it was stupid, but it had to be done. So we pushed my jeep a reasonable distance from where all the gas had poured out and they decided that I should light it since it was my gas. I refused, for I was soaked in gas and was afraid I would burst into flames. So nick, having not gone under the jeep where all the gas was as Bryce and I had, went to light it. There was a big puddle and Bryce said it was all water, but nick figured much of it was gas, so he struck a match and tossed it in.

The entire puddle and much of the surrounding ground immediately burst into a flaming inferno which nearly engulfed nick. Fortunately he got out unburned. We were all awestruck by the 20 ft high flames and plumes of black smoke that rose above them. I took out my phone and captured a video and some photos, but not before the fire had burned down a ways. I was incredibly lucky that the fire didn't follow a path back to my jeep or I'd really have been ****ed.

The fire wasn't going out and we were afraid a warden would come by since we were on public hunting grounds. Eventually we got it out, but it took at least 20 minutes of throwing snow on it. Not much later though, we heard a vehicle coming. Luckily it was just some hunters and not a warden. They didn't even stop.

Pretty soon, cole arrived and he had gas and tools and I got to work. I was able to cut away the plastic cover with the tin snips but I still didn't have anything to plug the hole with because cole's duct tape didn't stick either.

After searching through my jeep and cole's ford explorer we were still clueless. Then I found a rubber frog fishing bait (common for fishing largemouth bass) in my glovebox. It was the perfect size to plug the hole! We then put gas back into the jeep from Cole's can and Devan's boots and I was able to drive to Bryce's house, get cleaned up, eat burgers, and then cole, devan, and I went in to watch film for football.

I permanently replaced the tank in shop class a few weeks later after patching the major hole and having it leak from under one of the straps. The gas tank replacement was pretty tough, but now she's back in tip top shape.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.