Gimpy Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Gimpy Rubicon

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Zyriana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Gimpy Rubicon

My 2006 TJ Rubicon is only 1/2 the Rubicon it used to be (if that). Thought I'd share, as I did see one post on this type of "issue".

2011 I bought myself a nice red Jeep. I wanted a Rubicon but didn't want to pay the $$$ to get the new one. Plus, after alot of research on the forums and otherwise, I learned the 2006 was the last year for the 4.0L engine and for whatever reason, I wanted THAT year. I wanted a Rubicon because I fully planned on using the Jeep in my adventures because sometimes I simply get myself into situations that the lockers would assist with. It happens...

I never really wanted to do MAJOR crawling, but wanted a Jeep that would save my butt should I ever need it. Okay - that's the background on why I wanted the Rubicon.

I studied alot before going to look at this used Jeep at a dealership and knew that I had to verify the VIN to be sure it was a Rubicon. That's ALL I knew to verify. Apparently I stopped at verifying anything else!

I've had so many minor issues with my Jeep, but I keep smilin' saying "whatever, more to learn!". And I do - I'm under the hood, buying my own parts, watching videos and if someone is doing it for me, I make SURE I watch everything so I can do it myself. One issue that was plaguing me was the freakin' locker switch. It would NOT do a darn thing! Up, down - sideways, nothing. I researching this on the forum and decided to change the relay switch first since that was the cheapest, verify the fuses - check. But the locker issue got put to the end of the line on things because other items needed attention. Then.....

My new boyfriend, understanding my Jeep addiction and my extreme frustration with the locker switch, told me that he'd jack it up and look at the compressors and see if there is an issue with those. He went to his brother in laws and they jacked it up. And.... I swear, if I could have seen their faces... apparently there are NO compressors. There are wires hanging, bolts half butt screwed in with no nuts, he said it looked like a mess under there. Well, that's strange I thought. Someone took my compressors - under the skid plate?! What? Then things sunk in a bit... next was to verify the axles, so he sent me pics of the axles when I asked and I ID'd them. They ARE NOT Dana 44s, nope - they are Dana 35s.

Oh. My. GAWD! I bought a Rubicon that has had it's axles swapped out. Who knows what else, we are just figuring it all out.

Seriously?!

Jeeze, wonder why the little "switchy thing" didn't work huh? 'Cause there isn't anything hooked up to it!!!

Word of advice - don't be a newbie that knows NOTHING except to check the VIN when buying a Jeep. I should have done more investigation. But, I can tell you - I can ID Dana Axles now pretty well, and have watched video after video on compressors for the Rubicon and even relocating them.

So... I guess my modifications for the future are... get the Jeep Rubicon back to a Rubicon.

BTW - to the guy that stripped my Jeep -

Good side is I am learning ALOT fixing this Jeep of mine!

Anyone else heard of something like this happening?

Unread 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Zyriana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update - the transfer case is a 231, not the one that came stock.

~sigh~

This is gonna be a long road.
Unread 08-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
tuc
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow I have heard of people putting Rubicon stickers on their Jeep and trying to sell it as a Rubicon but never swapping out axles and tranfercases.
tuc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear this... got any pics?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Zyriana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwch99tj View Post
Sorry to hear this... got any pics?
Hi, yeah - I put some under the "Gallery" section of my profile. Also in the TJ location for photos.
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Zyriana
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post
Wow I have heard of people putting Rubicon stickers on their Jeep and trying to sell it as a Rubicon but never swapping out axles and tranfercases.
Yeah - someone must have had it maybe repo'd and made out with the axles and such before hand. "Hey Bob! Bring over your Jeep we're gonna swap out before they grab it!"

Who knows... but a long $$$ road to get it back to norm eh?
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
duntov
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Man, this story makes me mad just reading it. Those axles and transfer case can run you 5-6K new. Good luck making it a Rubicon again. I guess now you can go ahead and get some Dana 44 axles with lockers. I'd say the transfer case could probably wait but it's up to you. Good luck!
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic, Chili Pepper Red, 4.0, 4WD, 3" OME Full Leaf, JKS QD, JL Sub, Sony CD w/Ipod adapter, Polk Audio Speakers, Uniden CB Radio. JCR Front Prerunner bumper, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Reese hitch, Yakima Rack, Mopar spare tire rack.

2013 Jeep Unlimited, Gecko. Bone Stock.
duntov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe someone put a Rubicon body on a regular frame and drive train?
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.