Are the factory rollbars for show or are they structural? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Are the factory rollbars for show or are they structural?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Closed Thread
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
roadgator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Are the factory rollbars for show or are they structural?

An office worker at my job has a daughter that was in a pretty decent single vehicle wrangler accident. The co worker is saying that the roll bar was totally gone from the Jeep after the wreck. I find this very hard to believe since none of the SIX people were ejected and the Jeep never rolled over. What is your experience or thoughts on this?

Keep in mind I am in New Orleans and rust is not a major issue on these Wranglers.

I am tempted to get a sticker that says,"Jeeps don't kill people, people kill people." I was also informed by the co worker that my Jeep and all other Wranglers are to dangerous and that her daughter will never ride in another Jeep again.

Unread 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The factory bars are structurally designed to support bikini tops. And roof racks. And that's about it. If you want a little peace of mind add to the existing cage via weld in or bolt on pieces. This is the rock hard version:

Unread 11-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stock roll bars are just okay. I'd rather have that bit of steel protecting me rather than be in a car where the roof would be flattened by a slightly overweight man

They do need re-enforcing if you want them to support the whole Jeep.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wait. Why were there six people in a wrangler?
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
roadgator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My bars are fine for my use. I will pretty much never go off roading. There just are no trail places in my area that I know of. My Jeep is to take my dogs to the vet or the lake and bring my wife to city park to go bike riding. I drive it with the same awareness of my old motorcycle. The most people in my Jeep will be two not six.

I just do not see the impact they had from hitting a bridge rail being substantial enough to separate the bars from the jeep. I asked for a picture when they can to see the actual Jeep.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There have been so many threads about this.... Here's the deal, the stock bar is OKAY as a one time roll over protection, meaning after the bar has been put under extreme stress the best idea is to infact upgrade or replace. Most want to upgrade immediately and do...
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

First, these are roll bars, not crash cages. They are single use items. Once "used" they need to be replaced . They will support the Jeep in a roll over, but may not in a violent endo or wreck involving much speed, or airborne departure from the roadway. In a "oopsi" off roading, they work great, and are what they are designed for.

Just like every other body component on cars these days, they deform when hit (to absorb some of the impact).

Second, that Jeep was grossly overloaded, 3 passengers and a driver is max load (depending on pax weight).

Third, kids lie when they wreck cars (omit telling details like they were doing stupid stuff, drinking, etc).

Forth, women have been known to over react. The term Drama Queen comes to mind.

If someone wants a safe car to drive, get a Crown Vic, not a Jeep.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
roadgator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Wait. Why were there six people in a wrangler?

Her daughter was downtown with her friend. The friend liked one of the guys in the jeep. They jumped in and were going to go to Baton Rouge which is an hour away to go to another party. I do not know the time, but I gather it was pretty late in the evening. Four of them were in the back. The co workers daughter was one of them and says that she told the driver to stop texting while driving. Someone then said that he was passing the exit. He cut the wheel and spun the Jeep out, hitting the bridge rail with the passenger side of the Jeep.

The co workers daughter has a broken foot, ankle, and a cracked pelvis. Another girl had her head split open right up the length of her nose. There were other injuries but I can not remember. The driver and person behind the driver walked away.

They were in the 18 to 20 age group. Supposedly alcohol was not a factor. I do think that the maturity level and lack of experience was the real cause.

Out of the version she has told me, I only see many human errors. I do not see how the jeep is the danger. I have had my share of bad accidents and they were my fault. I did not ever think that I had to blame what I was driving and refuse to ever drive one again.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow! With that amount of stupidity, everyone is lucky to be alive. I have seen less severe things decapitate people. The open air vehicle can give a sense of insecurity but it is as safe as any other top heavy vehicle on the market. My girlfriend has been in three accidents where she has been ejected from the vehicle, all three times the window was open and two out of the three times she wasn't wearing a seatbelt If she had been inside she would have been killed as the vehicle rolled off a hill (two out of the three times). She wasn't at fault for any of them obviously but she's also scared to drive sometimes.

Sometimes they roll and fortituously eject the driver.
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

And a simple fender bender turned decapitation.

Unread 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hate when people say Jeeps are unsafe and should not be driven by any one who values their lives/loved ones.

From the pictures I have seen:

The main hoop in the stock cage is structural, the spreader bars that go to the windshield are there to hold the windshield up nothing else, and the rear hoops on the family cage like to buckle inward.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f164/.../#post10670568
That was doing 45-50 and the Jeep was launched 15 feet into the air, every one in the Jeep was extreamly lucky that they survived because luckily they were not wearing seat belts so they were ejected.

Most of those are by my standards severe roll overs, and almost every one of those Jeeps have the stock cage, and no one was hurt. The Guy in the FJ 40 is lucky but I don't know why that is in a Jeep video?
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The cage doesn't have anything to do with stupidity.

That said, no, it isn't structural. It will protect you from small stuff, and slow rollovers off-road. That is all.
Its not structural until its welded directly to the frame, with enough braces and gussets. But those are for competition. I doubt the co-worker would win many claims against anyone. And the driver needs to have a full NASCAR cage - or else get off the road.

Guess they won't be texting so much anymore? Or partying?

Disclaimer: I live within minutes of a D.I.R.T. track, and did pro welding for years...

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-15-2011 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: driver
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A Jeep is only as dangerous as the driver. Only an idiot would think they are dangerous.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, 6 teenagers piled into a jeep on the way to " another " party and it's the jeep's fault for not being safe? How much safer would they have been in a convertible car with no protection overhead? I think the name itself should say something, "ROLL BAR", as in protecing your head if you roll your jeep. Does nothing for vehicle impacts.
Unread 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwhaler View Post
Wow, 6 teenagers piled into a jeep on the way to " another " party and it's the jeep's fault for not being safe? How much safer would they have been in a convertible car with no protection overhead? I think the name itself should say something, "ROLL BAR", as in protecing your head if you roll your jeep. Does nothing for vehicle impacts.
This ^^^^^ X 1000
'nuff said...
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.