Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 98 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #1456
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Read this thread cover to cover, 50 pages last night, the rest tonight.
I'm excited to start exploring once my build is finished.

Good luck trying to find places to legally wheel around me tho I bet.

Sanborn, pekin, town of niagara. Most I've ever found was a few old tin shacks when fourwheeling as a kid.

The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #1457
callsigncowboy

2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow..nothin like 98 pages of awsome stories. i never really found all that much when i was out wheelin. but i used to work at a paintball park and i found an old willys and a 57 studabaker...turns out the park bought the land from the joliet armory. no one knows where the studabaker came from though
Bulit not Bought #65 nightcrew#284
www.chicagoheretics.com
callsigncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #1458
Volacious
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, This isn't my story, but I was told this by my uncle a few years ago. My uncle is an avid hunter and one day, while driving (kind of like herding) deer, he and his buddies came upon a mangled aircraft deep in the Pennsylvania game lands. Here's the background story. About 30 years ago, there was an aircraft flying in that area which lost radio contact in the middle of the night during a bad snowstorm. A search and rescue mission was innitiallized the day after and continued for about a week, but the aircraft was not found, nor any of the four men who were on the plane (a white plane covered with snow in a densely tree populated area is almost impossible to spot by air). So anyways, my uncle had found the plane with his hinting party about 10 years ago, along with the remains of the four men. Here is the creepy part: my uncle spotted an arm hanging in the branches of a dead pine tree (20 years of rotting made it smell really bad too). when they continued searching, they found the mangled wreck of the plane and the three other bodies. The one passenger apparently survived the impact, and crawled out, but died with his back against a nearby tree (with a missing arm). The three other bodies were found inside the aircraft, all mangled and of course, 20 years rotten. Of course, the hunters immediately went back to their cabin and called the proper authorities to investigate. Now there is only a prop and a few scattered airframe parts. What odds me out most is why the bodies were basically "untouched" by other animals. you would think a bear, a mountain lion, or a vulture would eat the remains and scatter the bones.

Last edited by Volacious; 08-27-2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Volacious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #1459
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volacious View Post
Alright, This isn't my story, but I was told this by my uncle a few years ago. My uncle is an avid hunter and one day, while driving (kind of like herding) deer, he and his buddies came upon a mangled aircraft deep in the Pennsylvania game lands. Here's the background story. About 30 years ago, there was an aircraft flying in that area which lost radio contact in the middle of the night during a bad snowstorm. A search and rescue mission was innitiallized the day after and continued for about a week, but the aircraft was not found, nor any of the four men who were on the plane (a white plane covered with snow in a densely tree populated area is almost impossible to spot by air). So anyways, my uncle had found the plane with his hinting party about 10 years ago, along with the remains of the four men. Here is the creepy part: my uncle spotted an arm hanging in the branches of a dead pine tree (20 years of rotting made it smell really bad too). when they continued searching, they found the mangled wreck of the plane and the three other bodies. The one passenger apparently survived the impact, and crawled out, but died with his back against a nearby tree (with a missing arm). The three other bodies were found inside the aircraft, all mangled and of course, 20 years rotten. Of course, the hunters immediately went back to their cabin and called the proper authorities to investigate. Now there is only a prop and a few scattered airframe parts. What odds me out most is why the bodies were basically "untouched" by other animals. you would think a bear, a mountain lion, or a vulture would eat the remains and scatter the bones.
hmmm, wonder if there was enough fuel from the plane that it kept the kritters away
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #1460
Volacious
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmer_fud View Post
hmmm, wonder if there was enough fuel from the plane that it kept the kritters away
That could be. 100 octane fuel isn't too appealing to wildlife.

To continue the thread, by brother and I found downed bridge while wheeling near Tunkhannock with a bunch of old cars and a bus at the bottom of the river under it. I don't remember the name of the river (could be a branch off the Susquehanna) but I couldn't find it when I went flying the next day It was weird because there was no traces of a road we actually approached it from the underside next too the river.
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #1461
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I believe your story but no way that a 20 year old arm or any dead bodys has much of any smell at all.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #1462
sb5551
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How did his arm get caught in a tree? This is why you don't stick your arm out the window while flying.
sb5551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #1463
Bandit1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54 View Post
I believe your story but no way that a 20 year old arm or any dead bodys has much of any smell at all.
not to mention that a 20 yr old body would have any flesh on it by the end of the first summer. unless the fuel and winters some how preserved them, dont know how the fuel would have helped that, but stranger things have happened i guess

Outlawed Offroad Forums

NY State ORV Park Project
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #1464
cvwfl03tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I live near Eglin AFB in the Florida panhandle and occassionally wheel on base. It's like 300k acres and lays across 3 counties. Lots of odd and unusual things out there. Parts of it have been a bombing range for more than 50 years.

One night we were gigging for redhorse suckers ( a kinda fish) up one of the creeks on Eglin. The boat got hung up on a log. When I poked it with the gig, it went "clink". When we shined the spotlight on it, it was some kind of bomb laying in the middle of the creek. Probably a foot across and 10' long. It had been there a long time - probably from the '50s. We pushed off of it and kept on gigging. We did circle around it when we came back down.

A friend showed me a bomb shelter out there. We didn't have a light, so we didn't go in. He says it's about 40 x 100 underground with a kitchen in it. I'll go back sometime and take a look at it.

Once I drove down an unused road. About 2 miles in I thought I had found an abandoned tank, but it was just a decoy made out of plywood and stovepipe. I have found several abandoned duece and a halfs that they've used for target practice. Also, drove by a whole trainload of russian armor that they had brought in from somewhere. It all looked like it was mostly new. Probably captured in Desert Storm. I guess they used it for target practice on one of the ranges.

I did find an APC that I sat in while hunting during a downpour. The back door was missing and it made a good stand.

The funniest thing I've seen, we were fishing on the river one afternoon and a whole rubber raft full of special ops-types came paddling by - with weapons and facepaint. We just waved to them and they ignored us.

When I was much younger, they used to have maneuvers out there. We would buy a couple of cases of beer and drive out into the woods looking for the soldiers. We could trade beer for MREs - or K rations at the time. Camo clothes, bayonets, ammo boxes etc. Got lots of good stuff off of them. Now the Special Forces from Ft Bragg are moving in, so I'm sure access to alot of the base will be stopped.
cvwfl03tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #1465
Volacious
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5551 View Post
How did his arm get caught in a tree? This is why you don't stick your arm out the window while flying.
Plane+Tree=Bad Things. I used to be on Civil Air Patrol and have seen some quite gruesome crash scenes. As the plane gets ripped appart, so do the people inside... As for the 20 year old rotting arm, I have no clue I doubt it had much flesh on it, and I don't know the exact details, but apparently it smelled really bad. One of the reasons the hunters were investigating the area was because they thought they smelled a rotting deer from the season(s) before. The only thing I can come up with is that particular winter and the next few subsequent winters had record breaking cold temperatures. Possibly the initial freezing of the bodies did something to preserve them? However, regardless of their condition, the bodies should have been spread by wildlife, but they were all basically intact (besides the body parts ripped off in the crash). Freaky......
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #1466
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The strong smell of aviation fuel alone might have been enough to keep wild life at bay...

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #1467
callsigncowboy

2000 TJ Wrangler 

id think after 20yrs most of it would have leaked out or evaporated though
Bulit not Bought #65 nightcrew#284
www.chicagoheretics.com
callsigncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #1468
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiereck View Post
Years ago when I was a young private in the Army (I am now an old Staff Sergeant) I was stationed in Fort Irwin, CA, in the middle of the Mojave Desert. It's all pretty arid there, and no one really lives anywhere near the installation.

The nearest major paved road is like 40 miles south. This was before 9/11 so there was no fence to the back of the installation, you literally could drive right in. No one did, because it is very rugged terrain through the desert. Well, almost no one did...

Well, one day we were out down range, we were maybe 25 miles north of garrison, way out in the boonies, maybe 3 miles from the end of the installation. It was me and everybody else from my OC unit. OCs are Observer Controllers, they are kind of coach/referees whenever Army units train against each other. In total there were maybe 25 of us. We were having our annual camp out, when everyone slept downrange, had fun and bbq, all military, no wives, no kids.

This night we had a huge bonfire, we didn't need to follow light discipline out there because it was just us in the sand. The only lights you could see in any distance was our fire and the stars.

At about midnight I remember most people were asleep, it was a few of us around the fire, I remember our Sergeant Major telling us stories from when he was a private.

All of a sudden someone noticed some lights coming towards us across the desert. It was weird seeing that as when we drove at night we used NVGs, we couldn't drive with headlights on, but we thought maybe someone saw the big fire and turned on the headlights because the fire was too bright under NVGs. The headlights were pretty far, however, and took a while to get to us. Funny thing it seemed like these lights were coming from outside the base, miles and miles from the nearest paved road.

When he finally got to us we heard the diesel engine, we thought it was a Humvee, expecting someone else from our unit. As he got closer and circled around to stop close to the fire we noticed it was a really beat up Ford van, all hand painted with peace signs and flowers. It had big tires, and a lift, and probably 4 wheel drive too, the only way they could make it out this far into the desert.

The van's door swung open and these four hippie dudes and two hippie chicks came out! They were all high on weed, they stunk of patchouli, and were carrying booze with them! It was an awkward moment when they saw us all in Army BDUs, a military camp with a huge bonfire and a bbq pit; and they, stoned, drunk and dirty, tearing across the desert is a rockcrawlin' hippie van! They looked at us a bit uneasy, wondering if we're going to arrest or detain them, we looking at them wondering what are we going to do with a bunch of stoned hippies in our camp...

One of them said "so, this is not where the party is...?" We all looked at each other like "yeah, but it's our party, not yours", without saying anything. Our Sergeant Major, who was pretty cool and relaxed as Sergeants Major go, told them they had trespassed into a military installation, and that the party they were looking for was somewhere else out in the middle of the desert...

The hippies all bummed out climbed back inside the van, turned around and left...! We all had a good laugh and wondered next day if they ever made it to their party. We also wondered why we didn't keep their booze for trespassing on Uncle Sam's property...
LMAO! One of the better stories!!!

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #1469
patrick1102
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well after hours of reading and passing time here in the sunny vacation spot called iraq, i though i would add a little.

i noticed someone touched on this while stationed in afghan, but i will beat a dead horse because it's still pretty cool.

while driving here on an old iraqi air base that is now U.S. property, you can stumble upon alot of old russian aircraft. they tried to bury them all around the base. so its not unusual to see MIG's just sitting in around in the most random spots in the desert. i've got some good pics but seeing as though our internet isn't great here, you guys have to give me some time.

back in the states, i've come across an old civil war cannon ball and some other randomness. after reading this thread i cant wait to try and gather some more stories.

if only i could send this stuff back home. i would have plenty of parts for a jet powered TJ with a DIY snorkel....
patrick1102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #1470
Sabotage
2002 WJ 

i wasn't wheeling, but if u drive in downtown Detroit like the abandoned parts ull see some of the eeriest looking buildings and old equipment ever. looks like those post apocalyptic zombie games

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.