Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #1441
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My dad used to own 32 acres on this same Mountain which is named Harrison Ferry when I was 14(32 now).The dirt/mud road to get to the land was almost to the end of a dead end gravel road on the right.At the very end of the gravel road is Mt. Sinai church and cemetery.There is a trail beside the church that ran into our land on the backside,so we would come out there often since it was a shorter distance back to the Jeep on the gravel road.We had 2 Honda utility 4 wheelers and my dad had a 79 wagoneer back then.The church didnt have electricity so they would bring a generator on the back of a truck for service,they had oil lamps hanging from the ceiling(went in once-creepy).At the back of the cemetery was an outhouse.

The graves there were very old,the newest one we found back then was in the 1920s with the oldes being in the civil war era.There was 2 strange epitaphs(sp?) that I can somewhat remember.One had something along the lines of "As I lay here now I was once as you are,and soon you will be as I am now',the other in so many words said that if you walk on my grave you will die.Needless to say at night this place was creepy,everytime I ever went there I always felt like someone was watching me out by the outhouse even during the daytime.

So one Sunday me,dad and my ex brother-in-law had went up for some nice Sunday muddin/wheelin.We knew of course that they had service on Sunday at the church.I guess with all the fun we had wheeling we forgot all about it and came up the trail beside the church on the way back to load up and leave.We were giving the Hondas as much hell as you could a utility ATV.Low and behold not only did we see the cars in the old gravel parking lot but they had just let out from the service.Of course we slowed to a crawl and felt like the biggest aholes in the world right at that moment.There was nothing we could do at that point though so we just smiled and waved as we rolled by.Needless to say there werent any smiles or waves back.I know this isnt so much of a wheeling story where you find something but it was just creepy.

Halloween night 8 years later when I was 22,I was riding around with a buddy of mine named Travis and two girls.We were all bored to death and itching to figure out something to do in a non mischievious way.I had remembered how creppy Mt. Sinai was at night so I started telling the girls about the head stones up there.They were all about it and swore that it was all BS and they werent scared of anything.So we headed up there hoping to get a rise out of the girls,we came up on the church and seen a bright light way up.This light ended up being a street light so since the last time I was there they had gotten electricity back there.We all get out and told the girls since they were so brave that we would hang back so they could explore the cemetery.I pointed in the direction that I thought the weird epitaphs(sp?) were,it only took a few minutes till they found it.They read it ,screamed and started running for the truck saying lets get the hell out of here right now.Of course me and Travis were laughing our ***es off at the two girls who said they werent scared.I just wish they would have seen it before getting the light back there and would have found it with flashlights.It was still a great night and I will never forget it.I have one more story but will have to call my dad to get the details since its been so many years ago when I was a kid.

Last edited by FPKites; 08-18-2009 at 05:41 PM..
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #1442
The Golden One

More pics of the Manson house!
I have a morning ritual that I need to share. I call it "the terminator". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator traveling through time" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing either Arnold or the guy from the second movie (not the chick in the third one because that one sucked) and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I slowly rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It ruins the fantasy.
The Golden One is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #1443
modelbuilder
2005 WK 

More pics of the Manson House...you got it...

http://picasaweb.google.com/caprica7...lleyMarch2009#

Should be a lot of stuff to look at.
modelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #1444
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelbuilder View Post
More pics of the Manson House...you got it...

http://picasaweb.google.com/caprica7...lleyMarch2009#

Should be a lot of stuff to look at.
Man it looks like you all had a blast out there. those are some pretty cool pictures.
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #1445
modelbuilder
2005 WK 

Thanks...it was an awesome trip!!!
modelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #1446
mokthraka
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

well it wasnt off-roading but when the place me and my dad went shooting was closed to be mined for a year or 2. we went around and looked for a new place and we went down an unpaved road and we saw a few other cars. then we saw TONS of no tresspassing signs and there was a military base. was near a place called Browns camp in oregon. was in tillamook county. well not sure if it was a base but it was something that was supposed to be out of the way and not seen
mokthraka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #1447
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGxJOHN View Post
we were wheeling one day in the woods and came across a dirtbike. it was cold so it hadnt been on in a while but we knew it had to belong to someone. nevertheless we moved it off the trail so we could stop back by on the way out and see if anyone claimed it yet. well no more than a 1/4 mile farther down the trail we run into the owners of the thing and they are already lookin at us like they know we f'd with it. so they question us about it and we deny that we even saw it (dont know why). 5 min later we're surrounded by them and their buddies who had left to get gas for the dirt bike. needless to say they weren't happy. the worst part, one of them was a fellow jeeper. sad day for us..im sure we could have fought them and blah blah blah but we didn't wanna take it there. we were in the wrong and we knew it. so we just put our tails between our legs and left. lesson learned. dont touch other peoples' stuff on the trail!!!! DUH!!!
Bull ****, if its there after 3 days, its mine.

Last edited by FPKites; 08-21-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: let the filter do it's job
cj7Sswampers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #1448
cj7Sswampers
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal420 View Post
The ol' Mojave Desert Phone Booth... SBC/Pac Bell tore it down unfortunately.

DR
wasnt there a Pete & Pete episode about this thing?
Unread 08-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #1449
armyhooker
1971 CJ5 

When the US invaded Iraq in 2003 I was part of the invasion force. we were the first unit to inhabit an Iraqi Airbase that we had bombed. We were tasked to search all the "bombed" buildings for search for survivors. We went through a few each day .. about day 3 we were tasked with visiting the bombed hospital on the base. we went through th place... nothing out of the norm. normal dead bodies and such and equipment everywhere. Well we found a door and finally got it opened. It was a long stairway that went underground. We checked our ammo and weapons donned our lights and entered. It was a long dark empty hallway. looked like nothing had been disturbed. started checking each room as we passed. Offices, dental area, storage roms, pharmacy, room of crap, towards the end of the hall we came to a room with steel tables in it. decided that this is where they did autopsies and such. well across the hall was the morgue. like a huge wal in cooler. it was still cold inside being as the power had only been off a few days and it was underground. we opened the door and went inside. there was 5 of us in our group. we saw the wall of steel doors and each of us joked about what if there was really a body inside. well we all decided to grab a door and on the count of three open it as fast as possible. 1.....2.....3..... and all 5 doors came open..... nothing.... we laughed and joked as we opened the rest... probably 20 doors all together and my Platoon Sergeant opened a door towards the floor and there was a dead body in it... pulled the sheet back and there was a guy with absolutly nothing wrong except he was dead. kinda weired us out so we reported it and left.
armyhooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #1450
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quite possibly, the worlds greatest thread......

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #1451
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundAssault View Post
Quite possibly, the worlds greatest thread......
I argee 100%
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #1452
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The graves there were very old,the newest one we found back then was in the 1920s with the oldes being in the civil war era.There was 2 strange epitaphs(sp?) that I can somewhat remember.One had something along the lines of "As I lay here now I was once as you are,and soon you will be as I am now',the other in so many words said that if you walk on my grave you will die.Needless to say at night this place was creepy,everytime I ever went there I always felt like someone was watching me out by the outhouse even during the daytime.
Its actually a popular phrase in latin. Quod sumus... hoc eritus.
Such as we are, so you shall be. The dead explaining the terminality and brevity of life to the living.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #1453
LOGANSTANFORTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyhooker View Post
When the US invaded Iraq in 2003 I was part of the invasion force. we were the first unit to inhabit an Iraqi Airbase that we had bombed. We were tasked to search all the "bombed" buildings for search for survivors. We went through a few each day .. about day 3 we were tasked with visiting the bombed hospital on the base. we went through th place... nothing out of the norm. normal dead bodies and such and equipment everywhere. Well we found a door and finally got it opened. It was a long stairway that went underground. We checked our ammo and weapons donned our lights and entered. It was a long dark empty hallway. looked like nothing had been disturbed. started checking each room as we passed. Offices, dental area, storage roms, pharmacy, room of crap, towards the end of the hall we came to a room with steel tables in it. decided that this is where they did autopsies and such. well across the hall was the morgue. like a huge wal in cooler. it was still cold inside being as the power had only been off a few days and it was underground. we opened the door and went inside. there was 5 of us in our group. we saw the wall of steel doors and each of us joked about what if there was really a body inside. well we all decided to grab a door and on the count of three open it as fast as possible. 1.....2.....3..... and all 5 doors came open..... nothing.... we laughed and joked as we opened the rest... probably 20 doors all together and my Platoon Sergeant opened a door towards the floor and there was a dead body in it... pulled the sheet back and there was a guy with absolutly nothing wrong except he was dead. kinda weired us out so we reported it and left.
Which base??? I'm at Cedar II right now working, I was at Tallil for about 7 months prior to coming here October 2008......
LOGANSTANFORTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:40 AM   #1454
armyhooker
1971 CJ5 

The story is Balad. I was in Talill in OIF 1 first but then in Balad.

I am in Taji now

Last edited by armyhooker; 08-24-2009 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: easier reading
armyhooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #1455
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Years ago when I was a young private in the Army (I am now an old Staff Sergeant) I was stationed in Fort Irwin, CA, in the middle of the Mojave Desert. It's all pretty arid there, and no one really lives anywhere near the installation.

The nearest major paved road is like 40 miles south. This was before 9/11 so there was no fence to the back of the installation, you literally could drive right in. No one did, because it is very rugged terrain through the desert. Well, almost no one did...

Well, one day we were out down range, we were maybe 25 miles north of garrison, way out in the boonies, maybe 3 miles from the end of the installation. It was me and everybody else from my OC unit. OCs are Observer Controllers, they are kind of coach/referees whenever Army units train against each other. In total there were maybe 25 of us. We were having our annual camp out, when everyone slept downrange, had fun and bbq, all military, no wives, no kids.

This night we had a huge bonfire, we didn't need to follow light discipline out there because it was just us in the sand. The only lights you could see in any distance was our fire and the stars.

At about midnight I remember most people were asleep, it was a few of us around the fire, I remember our Sergeant Major telling us stories from when he was a private.

All of a sudden someone noticed some lights coming towards us across the desert. It was weird seeing that as when we drove at night we used NVGs, we couldn't drive with headlights on, but we thought maybe someone saw the big fire and turned on the headlights because the fire was too bright under NVGs. The headlights were pretty far, however, and took a while to get to us. Funny thing it seemed like these lights were coming from outside the base, miles and miles from the nearest paved road.

When he finally got to us we heard the diesel engine, we thought it was a Humvee, expecting someone else from our unit. As he got closer and circled around to stop close to the fire we noticed it was a really beat up Ford van, all hand painted with peace signs and flowers. It had big tires, and a lift, and probably 4 wheel drive too, the only way they could make it out this far into the desert.

The van's door swung open and these four hippie dudes and two hippie chicks came out! They were all high on weed, they stunk of patchouli, and were carrying booze with them! It was an awkward moment when they saw us all in Army BDUs, a military camp with a huge bonfire and a bbq pit; and they, stoned, drunk and dirty, tearing across the desert is a rockcrawlin' hippie van! They looked at us a bit uneasy, wondering if we're going to arrest or detain them, we looking at them wondering what are we going to do with a bunch of stoned hippies in our camp...

One of them said "so, this is not where the party is...?" We all looked at each other like "yeah, but it's our party, not yours", without saying anything. Our Sergeant Major, who was pretty cool and relaxed as Sergeants Major go, told them they had trespassed into a military installation, and that the party they were looking for was somewhere else out in the middle of the desert...

The hippies all bummed out climbed back inside the van, turned around and left...! We all had a good laugh and wondered next day if they ever made it to their party. We also wondered why we didn't keep their booze for trespassing on Uncle Sam's property...

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.