Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #1426
mosshopper
1981 CJ7 

While out in AZ I was going through some nasty thick trails scratching the rig all up. Then all of the sudden the trail opened up all the trees and brush were gone and there it was the biggest pot farm I have ever seen (well the only one I have ever seen so maybe it wasnt the biggest one ever or anything) None the less it was probably 5 acres of pot. On the way in I came across a rig that had been burned up. Started to make me wonder what that was all about. Just then a truck started coming towards me from the "farm" I didnt stick around to see what he wanted. I was flying through the desert going through the brush and trees like crazy I dont think there was a body panel that didnt get scratched after that deal. On the way to the trail I had to climb a really large dune on the way out I forgot about that dune, when I hit it I couldnt stop in time and I shot out in the air landed about half way down the dune thought I about broke my back during the landing (luke duke I am not") got rolling again after the dune shot through the Gila River got back on the highway and never went back to that spot

Last edited by mosshopper; 07-27-2009 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
mosshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #1427
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was night wheeling my MJ in the National forrest with my ex-wife (not ex at the time). We had stopped and I was trying to get some trail nookie. We were laying in the bed of the truck. I heard soemthing big moving around off to the side. I figured it was a deer or something, but I stuck my head up to look. I saw a guy in full camo take of into the trees, and I could have sworn he was carrying an M16 or AR15. I yelled out "hey" and he sped up and dissapeared. We sat looking around for a few minutes and then I went back to what we were doing (I was very determined). About fifteen minutes later I heard a bunch of movement all around us. When I looked up we were surrounded by 10 guys holding rifles. There was a short minute or two stare off, during which I nearly crapped my pants. Then the biggest guy raised his rifle up to point at me. Then the guy next to him busted out laughing! I had accidentally driven off of the WMA lands and onto a private hunting club. The club members were having paint ball wars, since it wasn't deer season. When they found us out there they decided to have some fun at our expense. It was particularly embarassing since we were both down to our underwear by the time they came back to mess with us. We ended up getting dreesed and chilling out with them, they even shared their beer. Man those paintball guns can look real in the dark from 20 feet away! My (at the time) wife never did loosen up and stayed pissed the whole time. She never was much fun (hence the ex part)! We all had a good laugh (except for the ***** ofcourse).

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #1428
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

lol. A good sense of humor goes a long ways.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter your jeep in the July Cherokee Of The Month contest!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #1429
Deer_Slay3r
1993 ZJ 

I live in Va so lots of civil war battles took place around where I live in the Vally, along with lots of troop movement. I like to hike to rock climb and look for caves. So I'm way back in the sticks fallowing a creek through the mountains. I'm farther than I've ever gone and up to my right on the bluff I see some cool rocks so I climb up to them. There I find a cave. It's not a huge cave but it's not small. I started to look around and found General 'Stonewall' Jackson's name carved into the wall of the cave. No date, just his name.

Coolest thing I've found. My dad told me he found Stonewall's name carved in a cave back when he was my age south of where I found mine.
Deer_Slay3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #1430
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

bump for more stories
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #1431
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwrm View Post
Well, what a great thread. Took me 2 days. I also foudn a great link to urban exploration that ive been stuck reading for 2 days now too.

I live in a pretty crappy place for 4x4ing, but you see the odd burned out car and piles of garbage like fridges and old TVs. Took my arctic cat out for spin by the only real place left to offroad in my town the other night and ran into probably 100 dead deer carcasses all the meat taken and just bones and fur around.

I'd love to catch the ignorant *** poacher and skin his ***. I dont mind if people legally shoot a deer and clean and dispose of their carcass there as the odd deer isnt a problem, but this was sick. It was like the killing fields. I couldnt go down one trail because they were piled so high.

One time at the river we found a cow that i guess got stuck in mud and then died and was eaten by coyotes or something. All we found were legs stuck in the mud with about half the torse left. Looked like it had just been cut in half horizontally. The head was gone as well.

Another time in BC up north on Vancouver Island me and my buddy found a completey hidden, desolte beach on the west coast of the island. There was about a half mile of the thickest, scariest forest ive ever seen we had to walk through. It was middle of the summer 25'c out and sunny, and in the trees was just above freezing and almost pitch black. I kept looking for quick sand and Rodents of unusal size as this place looked just like the Scary forest in The Princess Bride.

Anyways, walk through the scary forest yelling all the way to scare off any cougars or anything and come out the other side and find this pristine beach with white sand that was maybe a half mile wide and surrounded by mountains on each end. The beach was like none i had ever seen, it was flat for maybe 50 feet, then the shore just dropped into the ocean. It must have been a 45 degree angle into the water. I thought that was kinda scary, as it looked like if you walked 5 feet off shore you would be 20 feet under water.

So, we walk a few feet over and see a big track in the sand where something huge had come out of the water onto the sand. about 20 feet from the water on the flat part, there was a big seal with his head chopped off clean.

I guess we found a beach were killer whales will come in and tackle seals laying on the sand. The can literally beach them selves and eat, then roll back into the deep water cuz the beach is so steep.

I am going back this summer to try and film a whale coming up on shore grabbing lunch. That would be awesome. Also gonna make sure i pitch my tent a ways back....

On the way back from that beach on these logging roads, we also found a few small pot grow ops that had been cut recently, (DAMN) found an old logging skidder that looked like it slipped off a cliff and fell about 200 feet into a canyon of death. Dont know how one would survive that. And on theway back, in about 10 kms of trail and 30 mins of driving, we counted 28 different black bears on the road. It was crazy. I made a mental note not to bring my quad there as i would just be meals on wheels for them.

Oh i also found several old ship wrecks in the same area up and down the coast. Nothing big, jsut really old trawlers and stuff. Still kind of neat. Maybe i have pics.....
Where about on vancouver island is this? nootka? I have heard some crazy stories about that place. Wherever it is I would love to go there someday if you could point me in the right direction
Unread 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #1432
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockGrimes View Post
I wasn't offroad but was driving my old cj-7 north of augusta, GA somewhere in SC never can remember the place till I drive thru there. But anyway I was driving along late one night headed to see a girl, it was late I had worked a long shift and was running behind. I can't recall the time but it musta been around 11 o'clock or so. It's dark on that stretch no house or lights. Well it started to drizzle rain, it was Nov. and was cold I had no heat in the jeep. I'm driving along minding my business when I see what appears to be a person walking along the road. I slow down and sure enough it was a young girl, somewhere between 18 and 20 I guess. I stopped and asked if she needed a lift. Middle of nowhere what was a gentleman to do... She said yeah that her ride kicked her out and she was walking to try and get home. So we drove down the road, briefly chatting, I appologized for the lack of hear and offered her a old army wool blanket I kept in the floor behind the seat. She got it out and covered up some what trying to stay warm. Down the road I see lights from what appears to be a gas station, she says I'll get out here, and points to what looked like an old logging road, I said I can drive you up to your house is it down the road? She said no she would be fine, so I stopped and let her out, I asked again if she would be ok and she insisted that she would be fine. I said ok and she walked towards to road and I drove down the road to the gas station. I got gas and went in and paid, upon mentioning the girl the color in the clerks face faded away. I asked if something was wrong and the lady explained that the girl I had given a ride to had died several years before. She had been hit by a passing car after her boyfriend kicked her out of the car for not putting out. People see her walking the road from time to time. I even had a buddy tell me he saw her but didn't stop.

i got freakin' chills reading this!!!! yaowee...

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #1433
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGANSTANFORTH View Post
Florida....

There is stuff all over florida, you just got to find it,....

Like these:

Hidden in "plane" site near St. Augustine somewhere that I can no longer remember - it's been several years since I was there.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #1434
Lynx80

Tag

TAG
Lynx80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #1435
modelbuilder
2005 WK 

My Turn!!!

Barker Ranch in Death Valley. The last hideout of the Charles Manson. We walked inside and sat at the kitchen table, saw the beds, etc. We even sat in his look out chair up on the hill. I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Ghosts of the Valley..

Someone forgot the pick up their bombs...

Finally...we helped rescue this downed biker.

modelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #1436
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshopper View Post
While out in AZ I was going through some nasty thick trails scratching the rig all up. Then all of the sudden the trail opened up all the trees and brush were gone and there it was the biggest pot farm I have ever seen (well the only one I have ever seen so maybe it wasnt the biggest one ever or anything) None the less it was probably 5 acres of pot. On the way in I came across a rig that had been burned up. Started to make me wonder what that was all about. Just then a truck started coming towards me from the "farm" I didnt stick around to see what he wanted. I was flying through the desert going through the brush and trees like crazy I dont think there was a body panel that didnt get scratched after that deal. On the way to the trail I had to climb a really large dune on the way out I forgot about that dune, when I hit it I couldnt stop in time and I shot out in the air landed about half way down the dune thought I about broke my back during the landing (luke duke I am not") got rolling again after the dune shot through the Gila River got back on the highway and never went back to that spot
Good reason to carry when going to the woods. The city can almost be safer! Plus did you report it? If someone threatened my life, which I assume they were going to do to you, I'd turn the ****ers in as think of the poor Jeeper that shows up next.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #1437
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelbuilder View Post
My Turn!!!

Barker Ranch in Death Valley. The last hideout of the Charles Manson. We walked inside and sat at the kitchen table, saw the beds, etc. We even sat in his look out chair up on the hill. I have more pics if anyone is interested.
As soon as I looked at that pic i thought it looked like the Manson hideout... pretty cool
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #1438
mosshopper
1981 CJ7 

I would like to say I did report it but....

I didnt report it I was 18 and did not have the best relationship with the police I was a bad kid but not anymore so now I would have been on the horn calling for backup but what are you going to do that was a long time ago Im sure something has happened with it since then. If they were hippies then Im sure they burned out if they were a bit more hardcore they probably have been caught If anyone wants to ge look go to el mirage road down by by P.I.R. on the left side of the road there was a dune go over that drive back about 5 miles until you see a BIG BIG dune go up that and then hit the trails for miles and miles heading towards Buckeye should get you there eventually. That being said its probably all houses now the last time I went to Phoenix the ranch I lived on was a housing development so no guarantees
mosshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #1439
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We used to ride at a place we had named the observatory when I was younger(I had a 84 bronco II not a jeep).This place is in the middle of nowhere on a mountain 2 miles back.It had electricity and a huge fence and this was in the 50s! Rumor has it the government owned the whole place and did surveys there.There was a 10 foot white pod looking thing that sat on railroad tracks so it could be spun 360 degrees.Lord knows how much electric wire running into it with a open top that was slightly angled.The strange part is what we found inside of it,it was what looked like a 50s style fridge with 3 huge hinges that once had padlocks.The bottom had a hole cut out about a foot wide with chicken fence covering it up.About 15 feet from it was what looked like a manhole except 5 times bigger and built very solid.We tried to open it up but it was rusted shut.There were several tops of pipes coming out of the ground about 8 inches around,you could drop rocks in there and wait a good 5 seconds before hearing a loud metal pinging sound.About 50 feet from the pod was what was left of a building that had a partial concrete wall that hadent fallen.What was left of that room had 2 concrete slabs 1 of which was about 5 feet long and the other about 3.They were both about 3 feet tall.

I told my dad about this place a few times,of course he wanted to go check it out.So we loaded up the 4 wheelers and went back there looking around closer than what I did before.We found what was left of some papers which i found partial names and dates back in 1955.There was also some names written in pencil in the observatory from the 50s along with USGS.Till this day I cant figure out what the fridge thing was and what they need 3 locks on it for and also the slabs in the building.I know exactly where it is however alot of the land on the mountain has been bought,shut down and is under development.It is rumored that the country singer John Micheal Montgomery bought all the land around there but sold it later on.I know they did put up a new huge gate at one point that someone drove into and over to go wheelin.This whole mountain has some strange stuff and I have some more stories if anyone finds this interesting I will post them.By the way this is right off highway 8 in Warren County TN right up the mountain where Mayhem offroad park is in Viola that was on xtreme 4x4.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #1440
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

^^^^^^ More Stories Please
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.