Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 86 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #1276
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
That's a sheep herders trailer. You still see a lot of them being used where sheep are being grazed...
oh... I guess it doesn't sound as interesting anymore.

2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #1277
Tony89
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well damn, over the course of 4 days i managed to read this entire thread. now i'm at the end and wondering how i will pass the rest of my time until 5:00 today
Tony89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #1278
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Haha, I was talking about this with a guy I used to work with. It seems like every dam in every state has this same story connected to it. Most of the time it's a catfish or more than one catfish that's "big as a volkswagon" or "big enough to swallow a man". Haha. I think it's just an urban myth. There are some very big catfish below the guntersville, wilson, and wheeler dams here in alabama, but they're not THAT big. The world records for blue cat and flathead are right around 100lbs. And a 100lb catfish is STOCKY, as in 3 1/2 feet long or less. So, unless they're immortal and never die and wash up, then there are no catfish big enough to eat a diver. There could be some very long musky, sturgeon, and alligator gar, but still not big enough to swallow anyone.

Maybe we should write to Mythbusters about this one. I love that show.
I'm still reading the rest of this thread, very much awesome thread btw, but you should watch a show called "River Monsters" on Animal Planet, it's a really cool show. Giant catfish do exist, they're just rare. He just caught one on a 2hr special last week, thing was 6 feet long 200+ lbs

Not many giant catfish left in the states, overfished & all, but still there is always the possibility
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #1279
MidnightRider
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnduey View Post
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
Haha, I was talking about this with a guy I used to work with. It seems like every dam in every state has this same story connected to it. Most of the time it's a catfish or more than one catfish that's "big as a volkswagon" or "big enough to swallow a man". Haha. I think it's just an urban myth. There are some very big catfish below the guntersville, wilson, and wheeler dams here in alabama, but they're not THAT big. The world records for blue cat and flathead are right around 100lbs. And a 100lb catfish is STOCKY, as in 3 1/2 feet long or less. So, unless they're immortal and never die and wash up, then there are no catfish big enough to eat a diver. There could be some very long musky, sturgeon, and alligator gar, but still not big enough to swallow anyone.

Maybe we should write to Mythbusters about this one. I love that show.
wow the biggest catfish i have ever caught/seen was a thrity five pound one and that sucker was huge. I caught it in Lake Logan Martin in Alabama
Unread 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #1280
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Catfish

There are bigger catfish at Fort Gibson Dam in Oklahoma. They catch them with grab hooks. The largest ever recorded catfish is just a little over 600 pounds but it was in Thailand.
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #1281
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Post #2:
Man I cant top that! We rolled up on some freaks in the middle of nowhere one night and they just had to be devil worshipers. My stupid friend wheels up right in the middle of them and kills the engine and is like "hey whats up?"!! We were all saying get the F outta here and they were acting weird. He turns around and floors it (blazer with 44's and a 454) and he didnt see the hump in the road to prevent washouts...well we launch into the woods screaming and WHAM..hit a tree and totalled the rig. The devil worshipers scattered luckily but then we were there all alone........luckily a drunk deer hunter rolled up on an atv and he went back to camp to get our buddies and our rigs. I never went anywhere with that ******* again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusiknowit View Post
Post #1145
One night some buddies and I were out in the middle of nowhere, worshiping the devil and having a good ol time, when some guys in a blazer showed up. They were acting all weird, and yelled some obscenities at us, before driving off and crashing into a tree. My buddies and I took off when that happened.
I laughed so hard I cried, my wife read it and laughed until she cried.

Good stuff.
Unread 06-06-2009, 10:49 PM   #1282
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

I had just bought the jeep and so I wanted to use 4hi and 4lo and see how it behaved. It was about 10 am when I picked it up so I headed for the mountains. There are a few dirt mountain roads around so I headed for one that was about 25 miles long over the mountain before it came back to pavement. I get up to the top and start down the other side and decide to try 4lo so I stop and go to 4lo and I am barely rolling and a black bear cub runs across the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and stop and he dissapears into the woods on the other side of the road. I quickly look back to the left side of the road where he came from expecting to se mama but nothing. No bushes moving or anything. I continue ahead about 50-60 feet slowly and stop all the while looking in the mirrors and expecting to see mama come across the road behind me following her cub. She just had to be there but I saw nothing. I went back to 4hi and continued on really slow all the while looking in the rearview. She never crossed the road while I was looking anyway.

I thought that was strange that I never saw her as I am sure she was watching me.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #1283
Selftest

Not really wheeling related, unless you consider the AWD Suburu Outback a 4x4...

A few years ago, my buddies and I went up to 29palms to shoot some photos and just generally explore. We found tons of old houses, and it was really cool. One house in particular had a boat half-buried in the yard. A rather large boat, too. We looked in the windows of the house, and it was totally empty. About an inch of dust covered everything in sight. We walked through the house, messed around outside, did normal kid stuff, then we went back to exploring.

We found a house that we will call the Easter House. Creepiest place I've ever been to. The entrance was floor to ceiling mirrors, all mysteriously intact. Then there was a long building with two long picnic tables running the length of the room. There were cubbies and childrens names decorated in Easter colors. Really odd stuff. The last date we could find was like 1982, about 20 years prior to our visit. The spooky thing was, all the cubbies had lunch pails or sweaters or something in them, like all the kids just up and disappeared.

Well, it started to get dark. We drive up the highway a little ways to check out some less creepy stuff. Well, we get to the house with the half buried boat and there are lights on in the house, an we can hear people talking. We broke into an occupied residence! It felt so unlived in, too.

So we walk into the desert a little ways to clean up some trash, so we have a shovel and a trash bag. As we're coming back out, there is a car coming down the highway. And here we are with a shovel and a trash bag. We stared really hard at the car and they just took off as fast as possible. Haha.

Sorry for the rambling. Typing on an iPhone sucks. I'll clean it up when I get home.
Selftest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #1284
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

wow good stories, just spent a good 2 hours looking at this! I have one too;

Me and some buddies were wheeling in our normal spot and came across a basically new silver honda accord. No idea how they made it that far as the area is always muddy as hell. Had a broken rear window. The rear tires were hung up over a little hill which made it stuck. Found it kinda odd, doors were locked....stolen?

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #1285
bodybrdng
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve01WJ View Post
wow good stories, just spent a good 2 hours looking at this! I have one too;

Me and some buddies were wheeling in our normal spot and came across a basically new silver honda accord. No idea how they made it that far as the area is always muddy as hell. Had a broken rear window. The rear tires were hung up over a little hill which made it stuck. Found it kinda odd, doors were locked....stolen?
Def sounds stolen. Prob some kids took it out there for joy riding, got it stuck, and left it there.

Christian Jeep Club Member # 278
Baltimore County Jeeps Member # 4
Maryland Jeep Club Member # 25

______
/l,[____],
l---L –()lllllll()-
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

bodybrdng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #1286
Drozen
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well here's one not anything i saw but something i heard when i was a yung un' on the farm.Dad had a IH Scout PTO winch and all our family had been in Clay county Ark. forever.Always heard storied from my dad about these..um big furry things..no joke no ****..the family talked about them like the family dog.

We camped a great deal and would get in places so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Now back then late 60's early 70's they still had cougar in that part of the world and they would scream at night really make the hair on your arms and neck stand up.

My father used to tell me something else screams in the woods but if you leave it alone it will leave you alone...so we went fishin on Black River spent a few days..on the third night out i heard a noise i cant put in words..but it sounded like a deeper louder scream than the cougars and lasted a great deal longer.My dad had a big fire going he chuckled and told me that's what he was talking about and not to worry but he picked up his dble brl 12 ga and rested against the log he was sitting on.

I didn't sleep much that night if any.My dad brothers had hunting cabins here and there and they told story's of something throwing rocks on the tin sheeted roof.

AND no i didn't go looking for a dang thing in the morning.we got our stuff in the Scout and drove back to the farm..over the years i heard that scream a few more times..i told my dad i wanted to hunt one when i got in the 7th grade and he told me..no..and he best not catch me trying...that's back when lying to your dad or defying him got you a real *** whuppin.SO i figured not worth it.

but when we moved to st.louis and people startin talkin about whether they believed in big foot or not i thought they were daft.
Drozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #1287
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drozen View Post
Well here's one not anything i saw but something i heard when i was a yung un' on the farm.Dad had a IH Scout PTO winch and all our family had been in Clay county Ark. forever.Always heard storied from my dad about these..um big furry things..no joke no *hit..the family talked about them like the family dog.

We camped a great deal and would get in places so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Now back then late 60's early 70's they still had cougar in that part of the world and they would scream at night really make the hair on your arms and neck stand up.

My father used to tell me something else screams in the woods but if you leave it alone it will leave you alone...so we went fishin on Black River spent a few days..on the third night out i heard a noise i cant put in words..but it sounded like a deeper louder scream than the cougars and lasted a great deal longer.My dad had a big fire going he chuckled and told me that's what he was talking about and not to worry but he picked up his dble brl 12 ga and rested against the log he was sitting on.

I didn't sleep much that night if any.My dad brothers had hunting cabins here and there and they told story's of something throwing rocks on the tin sheeted roof.

AND no i didn't go looking for a dang thing in the morning.we got our stuff in the Scout and drove back to the farm..over the years i heard that scream a few more times..i told my dad i wanted to hunt one when i got in the 7th grade and he told me..no..and he best not catch me trying...that's back when lying to your dad or defying him got you a real as* whuppin.SO i figured not worth it.

but when we moved to st.louis and people startin talkin about whether they believed in big foot or not i thought they were daft.
Something similar happened to my wife and I in North Georgia. Scared the crap out of the both of us. We got out of there in a hurry. Weirdest scream\growl\yell I have ever heard.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #1288
good_ol_boy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, there's something about being out in the woods/swamps as a little boy and hearing that signature "woman's scream", knowing there's no woman out there, but panthers. All the hair on my body would stand on end. I haven't heard one in years, though. I don't even know if there are any here in South Georgia anymore.

Last edited by good_ol_boy; 06-09-2009 at 12:05 PM..
good_ol_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #1289
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Every since I was a young woman, when the PMS hits, late in the evening I take a drive out to the woods and Scream my lungs out and throw rocks at stuff.

It makes me feel better............. But it kinda makes my hair stand on end!
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #1290
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

cruising on a 4wheeler path at night with no extra lights my friend and I realized we were on a land bridge with 5 feet on either side and a 10 foot drop into the water. that was a fun one to turn around on...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.