Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 81 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #1201
Mediarocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat View Post
Agreed, but on the other hand, it's less likely to be stolen if it's still stuck. :/
You got a point... i would've rummaged through the glove box for a registration tag, gotten in contact with the owner, and pulled him out. To me, it looks like he got stuck there on accident.

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #1202
glimmerman
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJORN98TJ View Post
Good Garble!

Found, a pickup truck under water about twenty feet from the shore of a mountain pond in the Wasatch mountains. Don't know how it got that far out there, but it was a newer truck. Sucks for whoever it was.
Might have fallen through the ice during winter?

You never truly know a woman, until you meet her in court!
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #1203
lgreve
1977 CJ7 

please keep this thread alive i am addicted to it and cannot get enough

Here is another story, it did not happen to me but my dad when he was young and he told the story to me.

When he was growing up one year they went to Crested Butte and decided to be the first ones up Paradise Divide once they got past a big snow drift the road was relatively clear for another couple of miles.

when they cam around a curve they saw an old willy parked under a tree and decided to check it out since there were no tracks in the drift that they had just come through.

well when they got closer they discovered a body in the drivers seat. they immediatly turned around and went and told the sheriff about what they had found. they thought that someone had driven over form the other side and just died since the body looked like he had just died.

it turned out that it was an old man from Crested Butte that had gone missing the year before. everyone in town had figured that he had just up and left town. but as it turned out he had drove up there during the first big snow storm and just parked and died there.

the body had frozen over the winter and was perfectly preserved so when they found him he was just starting to thaw out. i really creeped me out every time we drove by that spot when i was young since my dad always reminded me that that was the spot where they had found the body.

well this is all i have for now i will try and think of some more good stories that i remember.
CHRISTIAN JEEPER #230
lgreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #1204
timesublime

When I was much younger my grandfather took me out into the desert by huerco tanks, near el paso. We were out plinking at cans with a 22 for the good part of the afternoon, mind you it was summertime and really hot. Anyways, out of nowhere this ratty looking guy came walking towards us. He looked like he was really wasted on something and was mumbling and could barely walk. I was freaked out, but my grandfather was not concerned. He told me the man had heat sickness, which he recognized from years in the pacific theater of WWII. Anyways my grandad gave this guy water and the guy laid down in the bed of our truck. We drove him to the edge of town on montana blvd and he thanked us and left. Never found out what he was doing out in the middle of the desert in the summertime.
timesublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #1205
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

some of this is creepy
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #1206
twobit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesublime View Post
Anyways, out of nowhere this ratty looking guy came walking towards us. He looked like he was really wasted on something and was mumbling and could barely walk. I was freaked out, but my grandfather was not concerned. He told me the man had heat sickness, which he recognized from years in the pacific theater of WWII. Anyways my grandad gave this guy water and the guy laid down in the bed of our truck. We drove him to the edge of town on montana blvd and he thanked us and left. Never found out what he was doing out in the middle of the desert in the summertime.

Probably an illegal alien walking in from Mexico. Many die from heat after they run out of water in the desert areas like where you were.
twobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #1207
Jory
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent thread! here's a auto-related ghost story thread you all might enjoy:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1424744

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
Nothing spectacular, but it is unusual. Came across this bus on Bald Mountain here in VA. I'm surprised it made it there, it must have taken a looong time. Hard to say why, a group of college kids, a hunter wanting shelter maybe? It's neat to look at, the engine and trans is still there. It's been set on fire so not much left of the inside, but the door opener assembly and rod is SS and still is pristine. Weird.

Here's a pic I snapped (around November if I'm not mistaken)

As for trail closings, I'm pretty sure it's just closed during certain winter months. It should be open now.
Jory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #1208
silbotta

Last nite we heard some people on our ranch, took the jeep out and the 12 gauge to see what was going on. It was some kids drinking. Got to them and shot off a couple of rounds and scared the **** out of them.
Just a short one to keep the thread going
Unread 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #1209
NOVA87Wrangler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Excellent thread! here's a auto-related ghost story thread you all might enjoy:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1424744

Here's a pic I snapped (around November if I'm not mistaken)

As for trail closings, I'm pretty sure it's just closed during certain winter months. It should be open now.
I've been on that trail lots of times, I went to UVA. That bus actually used to be farther down the trail. Someone tried to drag it out and gave up. On that same trail, farther down by Sherando Lake, there also was a fairly new full size pick-up that went off the side of the trail. It was a little more stripped each time I was there and then one day it was gone. Another time there was a battered, old volvo station wagon. It's a good trail and a good place to find some weird stuff.
NOVA87Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #1210
Motorep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does finding a dead illegal count? Back in the '80's we used to ride dirt bikes near the border here in San Diego. I came up to the top of a plateau and found a dead guy laying in the dirt. Guess he died from exposure and whatever was in the bottle he'd been drinking. Hauled butt down to the Border Patrol office and let them know.
Unread 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #1211
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ill be glad when schools out so i can go wheeling more and find more cool ****

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #1212
zluster

I'll share the best thing I can think of.

Maybe ten years ago now out tooling around in the desert a good ways outside of Moab I go down one particular road by the Green River, now all along this road are abandoned Uranium Mines. Well at the back of one of the larger ones.......way way back on it, maybe like 400-500 yards, There was a section with a rather large open room. At the back of the room there was a bunch of random household stuff. An old polariod camera, an aqauruim, some school photos of a 8-11 year old boy, some random stuff like you would expect to find in a bedroom or bathroom. Written on manilla envelope was a 303(denver) area code.

I seem to remember finding a date from the late 80s on some of the stuff, and the vintage of some of the items seemed to be about the same age.

I tried going back about a year or two later to investigate further, but someone had burned a couple of fires inside the mine and the air felt, "heavy" and decided it wasn't worth the risk if the oxygen was low.

About 1.5 years ago now in January I went back with my roomate(his first time in Moab), and we went into the mine again, I didn't get back to where it was as my Spotlight starting dimming which is a sign that I needed to get out.

Still need to get back there and see if the stuff is still in there, and maybe figure out why.
(keep in mind this is the most random household crap about an hour and a half away from Moab.
Unread 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #1213
NMjeepguy
2014 JK Wrangler 

""""Hummer
About 4 years ago, i went wheeling up in the mountains of Washington in the early spring. I'm talkin about 30 miles to the nearest building, and about 60 miles to the nearest town of at least 200 people. I was driving on old forest service roads for hours following one set of tire tracks. The road hadn't beel cleared of winter debris yet, so there were trees down on the road all over. Had to either drive over or around them. After AT LEAST 15 miles of following a single set of tracks, they went towards the edge of the road and disappeared.

I got out of the jeep and looked over the edge and saw a brand new hummer h3 rolled off the side of the road. Footprints in the snow lead back the way i had come. It was at least a 20 or 30 mile hike out to civilization. I climbed down to the Hummer and looked at the brake rotors. Speckles of rust had developed so the wreck was at least a couple days old. I took pictures of the wreck and it's plates.

I headed back to civilization not long afterword. Keeping an eye on the side of the road for someone walking. But like i said, it was snowing, and it was a good 20+ miles to find help. Never saw anyone. About 20 miles later, i saw an oncoming fire department pickup truck. I flashed my lights at him and stopped. Told the guy about the wreck and showed him pictures. He chattered back and forth on his radio for a bit and said no one had reported the wreck yet. I described where it was and asked if he wanted me to lead him to it, but he said no.

Since it hadn't been reported, and there weren't any other tracks through the snow up there, I think it's safe to assume whoever wrecked it didn't make it out. I wonder if whoever it was, was ever found. :/ Did i mention it felt pretty eerie and the wreck?
""""
Was this near Quilcene, WA?

I was up on Mt. Hamilton last summer and saw a tow truck coming down the hill with a rolled H2 on the flatbed.
NMjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #1214
CherokeeOwner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMjeepguy View Post
""""Hummer
<snipI was up on Mt. Hamilton last summer and saw a tow truck coming down the hill with a rolled H2 on the flatbed.>
That's where I see the majority of Hummers, on a flatbed or behind a wrecker.
CherokeeOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #1215
ScJeepaholic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found my wife, we were at a local mud related event and her and her other high society friends were up there with some richy richy boys with their daddy's brand new fully loaded Ford buried up to it's doors. So being the fine upstanding southern gentleman that I am I offered to get them out for $200 bucks (what a deal right) I actually had an old 56 chevy p/u on a Blazer frame with an old Caddy 500 in it, nv 4500, and some divorce mount transfer case. I had just gotten my brand new 12k elec/hydro mile marker for $400 bones and was itching to use it. I hooked up the winch and the tow hook came off that brand new fully loaded Ford 4x4. A young lady with them several comments about my truck, assumed I lived in a trailer, and questioned my education and dental care. Her rich friends joined the fray and I told them I would pull it out for free if they would just haul *** because my friends whom she had also made some not so nice comments about were not pleased with the situation and I was concerned for the upscalers safety. The driver hooked up the nylon to the front of the said brand new fully loaded Ford and told me "lets see if your white trash limo can pull a ""real"" truck out" I ripped the axle off of the said brand new fully loaded Ford and thus they would either get their polo and hillfiger clothing dirty or sleep in the brand new fully loaded Ford. They held out, begged for someone to come get them, then they braved the belly button deep mud with the black muddy water topping. Once the entertainment and laughter died down a certain fore mentioned young lady come over to me, made a comment that would make me ashamed to kiss momma with the mouth that it came out of, and commenced to slap me across the face. So me being a fine southern gentleman tamed the shrew by placing her spoiled rich uppity *** back into the same belly button mud stew with the black dirty water topping from whence she had just came. When realizing the gravity of the situation they were faced with they decided as a group to de-*** and walk to the nearest gas station and call their daddy for a tow. A month or so later I was working in the ER (I was a flight medic/nurse at the time) and a pretty, young, rich, spoiled, young lady entered to see her daddy, a certain Dr. in the ER. Ironically said Dr was a fan of yours truly and asked me to meet his daughter. We went on a few dates that which I was a true southern gentleman, she didn't realize that it was me until after our first kiss, I told her if she had just kissed me I would have never thrown her *** into the mud. Furthermore if she slapped me again I would drive to said belly button deep mud and place her *** back into the mud (not as forcefully).

We've been married for 12 years this year have a baby boy, and I have been long gotten rid of that old Sanford and Son looking Chevy and came to my senses. (JP forever!) I take her to the mud hole every year on the day we met in her 4wd truck and I chuck her *** into the mud.

she loves it.......

[CENTER][COLOR="White"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][B]White Jeep Club Member #999[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]FireMedic[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Si vis pacem para bellum[/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER]slinky + escalator = everlasting fun[/CENTER]
ScJeepaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.