Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #91
skip3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rubicon
i wonder what the heck those things are.... anyone?
I saw something similar at a lead/zinc mine. By the time the lead is separated from the rest of the ore, it's about as fine as talcum powder. It gets put into some water with detergent (to form bubbles) and it attaches itself to the bubbles and floats on top of the water. This "scum" is then directed into devices which look much like those in the picture, except the ends of the drums are sealed. The outer surface of the cylinders is covered with a canvas-like fabric, and a vacuum is applied to the inside of the cylinder. This vacuum sucks the lead dust from the top of the water and carries it around to a scraper, which removes it from the cylinder. There appears to be remnants of scrapers on the left hand sides of the cylinders. It might have been used for just about any type of ore, since many mining practices are similar from metal to metal.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
skip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #92
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
HeavyMetal - Is that the ground based model or the satelite based model?
its the orbital satellite, which can work off its own power, or redirect a beam fired from a ground based unit by way of mirrors
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #93
Grumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip3
I saw something similar at a lead/zinc mine. By the time the lead is separated from the rest of the ore, it's about as fine as talcum powder. It gets put into some water with detergent (to form bubbles) and it attaches itself to the bubbles and floats on top of the water. This "scum" is then directed into devices which look much like those in the picture, except the ends of the drums are sealed. The outer surface of the cylinders is covered with a canvas-like fabric, and a vacuum is applied to the inside of the cylinder. This vacuum sucks the lead dust from the top of the water and carries it around to a scraper, which removes it from the cylinder. There appears to be remnants of scrapers on the left hand sides of the cylinders. It might have been used for just about any type of ore, since many mining practices are similar from metal to metal.

sounds like thats it.
Grumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #94
Blackbart

Was out in the woods on my dirtbike with a couple of friends in the spring. We were riding on the Mississippi river bluffs between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

We come flying over a hill and smack dab in the middle of the small trail are 5 or so Mexicans all armed with at least a rifle and pistol each, and we are not talking 22's. One had a SKS and another had maybe a AK-47 or AK-74, couldn't tell.

Scared the crap out of us, my buddie went down off the side of the trail trying to aviod them. Then his bike flooded from being on its side, the Mexicans just looked at as hard as hell and stood there.

Finially after what seemed like forever, the bike started, and we rode like scalded dogs back to the truck.

For the first time in my life, I was happy to see a DNR officer doing a tag inspection on our off highway vehicles. We told him about it, and got the hell out of there!

By the time we got out to the highway from the gravel road which the trail is on there were 3 DNR Suburbans, a couple of local police cars (Wabasha Minnesota) and a State Patrol car.

That sucked, I really thought we were gonna get shot.

(keep in mind, you really dont hunt anything in the spring in Minnesota)
Blackbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #95
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbart
Was out in the woods on my dirtbike with a couple of friends in the spring. We were riding on the Mississippi river bluffs between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

We come flying over a hill and smack dab in the middle of the small trail are 5 or so Mexicans all armed with at least a rifle and pistol each, and we are not talking 22's. One had a SKS and another had maybe a AK-47 or AK-74, couldn't tell.

Scared the crap out of us, my buddie went down off the side of the trail trying to aviod them. Then his bike flooded from being on its side, the Mexicans just looked at as hard as hell and stood there.

Finially after what seemed like forever, the bike started, and we rode like scalded dogs back to the truck.

For the first time in my life, I was happy to see a DNR officer doing a tag inspection on our off highway vehicles. We told him about it, and got the hell out of there!

By the time we got out to the highway from the gravel road which the trail is on there were 3 DNR Suburbans, a couple of local police cars (Wabasha Minnesota) and a State Patrol car.

That sucked, I really thought we were gonna get shot.

(keep in mind, you really dont hunt anything in the spring in Minnesota)

Id have shat myself...
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #96
97Xj_Sport

Man this thread is Awesome! anyway's, a couple years ago me and a couple of friends were wheeling and hiking and while we were just walking around in the middle of the night we hear something moving from tree to tree and then we hear multiple things moving and then we see one of the people in the moonlight run by in all black carrying a MP5! We haul tail back to the truck and while gettin out of there this FREAKIN huge F-350 blocks us in and a guy walks up and tells us that its the Dallas SWAT team doing training exercises.

I've also ran into an abandoned waggy (one of the old full sized ones) in my usual wheeling spot deeper into the woods but someone had already taken the axles and everything else
Unread 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #97
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrrrdx
Found refrigerators, heaters, air conditioners, bullets, an abandoned/ransacked Isuzu, microwaves, and pretty much every other kitched appliance you could think of...people take this stuff to go shoot.

Its called Carnage Canyon up in Boulder

Ahhh, Carnage. The trash hole of the trails in Colorado. And people wonder why they are trying to close the trail down.

I haven't run across much yet. I've come across some old shacks up in the mountains where I like to camp. They look like old hunting cabins or something. Rummaged around a little, but nothing really there. I've also seen an old smoke stack near a mine in the same area. I've heard about a plane wreck site up near Estes Park that you can wheel to, but not really sure how to get to it...yet...
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #98
dynamite44

totally forgot about these pictures. in cambria county, PA, there are a lot of roads that just don't have street signs. its really strange. i was on route 55 and turned onto a gravel road that lead to a small quarry with a single excavator. very long dirt road. not a single no trespassing sign, gate, or home. no signs of life anywhere.

that's a stock TJ on 30s, so that'll tell you how big the thing was. there was actually a whole row of them. oil and other fluids were all over the ground, i'm sure the EPA would have loved to have seen that.

i found what was left of a K car on another outing, also found a flipped 80s trans am WAAAAY back in there.

it was strange, there was this clearing that seemed almost like it had been mowed or taken care of recently. there were plenty of dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, and stoves back in there too.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM   #99
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
Ahhh, Carnage. The trash hole of the trails in Colorado. And people wonder why they are trying to close the trail down.

I haven't run across much yet. I've come across some old shacks up in the mountains where I like to camp. They look like old hunting cabins or something. Rummaged around a little, but nothing really there. I've also seen an old smoke stack near a mine in the same area. I've heard about a plane wreck site up near Estes Park that you can wheel to, but not really sure how to get to it...yet...
I've got some family that lives in Estes Park, I'll have to ask them if they know anything about it.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #100
JungleLarry

Dead babies.
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #101
MtnbikerWJ

Quote:

Check out this site http://coloradowreckchasing.tripod.com/

It might be the rollins pass crash
ARB Bull Bar with Piaa 520 drivings, no winch yet though
Kenwood Headunit, Kenwood Sirius Reciever, RF Punch p2002 Amp, RF Punch 10" Sub enclosure
Hypertech power programmer
K&N 77 series FIPK
Flowmaster 50 SUV
Magnaflow Cat
next gears and lsd's and OME coils[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR=Green]Colorado Jeep Club Member #14[/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=White][CENTER]White Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR]
MtnbikerWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #102
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I've heard about a plane wreck site up near Estes Park that you can wheel to, but not really sure how to get to it...yet...
Sounds like the crash off of Crystal Mountain to me. Never been there myself, maybe we should take a run up there this summer.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #103
Big_Black_YJ

somewhere behind a local diner off of route 125 is a wrecked military plane

i can't say exactly where, and you almost can't get to it....you have to walk across a swamp...but it's pretty sweet, wires and plane peices stuck in the trees

the military owns the land go figure

i dunno what kind of plane or if it's from the Pease AFB or the Granier AAFB (now Manchester Airport) era
[FONT=Tahoma][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #89[/B]
[COLOR=Sienna][B]New England Jeep Club Member #5[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Official I Own a Toy Jeep Club Member #5[/COLOR]
Swamp Donkey 4x4 [/B]

[B]1994 Saab Aero[/B]
*MAPTUN STAGE 7, *3" JT Exhaust, *SQR intake
470HP...1/4 mile ET: 12.67 @116MPH

[/FONT]
Big_Black_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 10:02 PM   #104
00xj54
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
Abandoned components to a particle cannon
Is that an weapon from DOOM?
[B]|15" Canyon Crawlers | 30x9.5 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos | [Lifted (2" Teraflex Spacers | 2.5" RE AAL | Edlebrocks IAS)| K&N Homebrew Intake | Flow Master 70 |Clear Corners/Side Markers| Class III Hidden Hitch | C4x4 Fronts Tow Hooks | JKS Discos | Surco Safari Rack | Hella 500s |
00xj54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #105
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjRyan
Sounds like the crash off of Crystal Mountain to me. Never been there myself, maybe we should take a run up there this summer.
Not sure. I checked that one out- looks like it's closer to Ft. Collins. There is one in Allenspark that I think it might be. Close to Middle St. Vrain trail (it even specifies Camp Dick in the directions). I think that might be the one that I heard about.
http://coloradowreckchasing.tripod.c...rkT33/T-33.htm
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.