Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 59 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #871
AbsolutXJ
1953 M-38 

Fromme - where's that bus at? Sounds like a good day trip for me

Unread 01-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #872
USAFRecon

i rolled up on the kkk one night, they had a burnin cross n everthing i just floored it. at least i think it was. it was dark bunch of guys in white and a burnin cross. did not like that at all.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #873
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF01Sahara View Post
i rolled up on the kkk one night, they had a burnin cross n everthing i just floored it. at least i think it was. it was dark bunch of guys in white and a burnin cross. did not like that at all.
I found one of their old spots where I live. It was a building with white supremacist graffiti all over it. I go online and find out that was a popular meting spot for them in the 60's/ 70's.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #874
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutXJ View Post
Fromme - where's that bus at? Sounds like a good day trip for me
Bald Mountain Jeep trail. You can get to the trail from Skyline Drive. Do it quick, last time I went the trail was closed. I suspect it's open fro the hunters, then it'll be closed down again for rec use. I should have marked the location on my GPS so I had the coordinates, but I didn't have it on that day.
Unread 01-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #875
jcm1983
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I got one. Wasn't in a jeep though. There is a beach here near houston. You go to Galveston, ride the ferry to boliver, drive down till you hit 124 only u dont turn right on 124. Keep on going on 87 only it's not really a road anymore. A prior storm washed that road out. Anyway, it's a pretty cool little beach..stretches out to Louisiana almost. Well, it was my first time down there riding with some buddies...just riding along minding our own business when aw f*** a dude in a speedo! then...Awww shii** a dude in NO speedo...butt naked. Dammmmit... son of a ***We ride farther down the beach and find many more......sights. Turns out, since that beach is so secluded, the nudist community seems to have made it their own home. ever seen a naked 70 yr old woman? 4 words for ya (pudding in a bag) To bad there is lotsa weirdos over there, its excellent fishing. no pun intended. Oh yeah, its' since been renamed Brokeback Beach.......yall want pics?
Unread 01-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #876
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1983 View Post
I got one. Wasn't in a jeep though. There is a beach here near houston. You go to Galveston, ride the ferry to boliver, drive down till you hit 124 only u dont turn right on 124. Keep on going on 87 only it's not really a road anymore. A prior storm washed that road out. Anyway, it's a pretty cool little beach..stretches out to Louisiana almost. Well, it was my first time down there riding with some buddies...just riding along minding our own business when aw f*** a dude in a speedo! then...Awww shii** a dude in NO speedo...butt naked. Dammmmit... son of a ***We ride farther down the beach and find many more......sights. Turns out, since that beach is so secluded, the nudist community seems to have made it their own home. ever seen a naked 70 yr old woman? 4 words for ya (pudding in a bag) To bad there is lotsa weirdos over there, its excellent fishing. no pun intended. Oh yeah, its' since been renamed Brokeback Beach.......yall want pics?
ill pass on the pics haha
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #877
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I think I've heard of the mine, I think it a couple hours north of Albany, but I'm not sure. where is that, and what does it mean to "bar down"?
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #878
squirrelrocket
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow just read all 59 pages, now my brain hurts!!
I recognized the pics of the blue lake near East Liverpool, its like 20 minutes from my house. I've come across a ton of old house foundations on my mountain bike adventures, old pump stations with everything still in them, and two military training bunkers from back in the day. There is a ton of cool stuff along the Ohio river such as old barges, and an old brick factory that is full of barrels and crates, it even has a jail cell looking thing in it. Also up by my buddies camp in Bradford PA there are a bunch of old oil derricks that you can find along the trails. The Pittsburgh area has tons of cool crap if you do research.
Unread 01-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #879
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pman View Post
I think I've heard of the mine, I think it a couple hours north of Albany, but I'm not sure. where is that, and what does it mean to "bar down"?
Barring down, scaling or sounding is when you take a long pry bar and use it to check the back and ribs (ceiling and walls) for loose rocks by slamming the chisel end into the rock as hard as you can. Really loose rocks will fall free as you do this. As you do it, you also listen for hollow sounds under larger rocks or within "solid" areas. If you hear something that looks solid, but sounds hollow, you pound the crap out of it until it falls. If it doesn't fall, you keep an eye on it through out the day and retest it every time you enter the drift. Roof collapse kills more miners per year than anything else.

It's without argument the most dangerous activity that a mine worker does on a daily basis. However, the only thing more dangerous than scaling is to enter a drift without scaling.

This is cheesy as all hell, because it's a government produced educational video, but everyone who works in a mine is shown it as their intro to scaling.

[YT]AvwD9P4vIBs[/YT]

[YT]9PVSPlWL8MI[/YT]
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #880
marko686
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow...i just read all 59 pages over 3 days. These are some great stories. I have one but it cannot compete with most of these. when i was 16 and buddy came with me wheeling out in the woods on some pretty easy trails in northern MI. Well it was about 1 A.M. and we came over a hill to find a guy in camo with a gun (diddnt stick around long enough to see what kind of gun) standing in the middle of the trail. I immediately put it in reverse and took off. We were 16 which is probably why this scared the **** out of us.
marko686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #881
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko686 View Post
wow...i just read all 59 pages over 3 days. These are some great stories. I have one but it cannot compete with most of these. when i was 16 and buddy came with me wheeling out in the woods on some pretty easy trails in northern MI. Well it was about 1 A.M. and we came over a hill to find a guy in camo with a gun (diddnt stick around long enough to see what kind of gun) standing in the middle of the trail. I immediately put it in reverse and took off. We were 16 which is probably why this scared the **** out of us.
Ive come across a few hunters carrying in MI while riding my bike on trails when I was younger. It is enough to turn around and and see how fast an 18 speed can go, lol.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #882
96zjman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well 3 days of on and off reading, great thread makes me wanna jump in my jeep and go down some trails to see what i can find anyways, I was up in the Up of michigan a couple years ago wheeling and turned down an old logging road to eat lunch and rest, well were just sittin there about 5-10 miles from the main road and a lexus drives by and the man driving it was wearing a suit, he was wearing blue surgical gloves, he was down there for about 15 mins or so then came back out and the gloves were gone, I dont know what he was doing and didnt want to we got the heck out of there fast.

If anyone knows some good trails in the UP shoot me an email at nxtlmn596@yahoo.com
96zjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #883
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zjman View Post
Well 3 days of on and off reading, great thread makes me wanna jump in my jeep and go down some trails to see what i can find anyways, I was up in the Up of michigan a couple years ago wheeling and turned down an old logging road to eat lunch and rest, well were just sittin there about 5-10 miles from the main road and a lexus drives by and the man driving it was wearing a suit, he was wearing blue surgical gloves, he was down there for about 15 mins or so then came back out and the gloves were gone, I dont know what he was doing and didnt want to we got the heck out of there fast.

If anyone knows some good trails in the UP shoot me an email at nxtlmn596@yahoo.com
Oil well service/ monitor guy?
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #884
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Oil well service/ monitor guy?
Probably something innocuous like that. The gloves don't mean anything. I always carry a box of blue nitrile gloves in my Tuffy tool box in the back of the jeep. If you have to change a tire or something, it's always nice to just pull the gloves off and your hands are perfectly clean.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #885
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr View Post
Probably something innocuous like that. The gloves don't mean anything. I always carry a box of blue nitrile gloves in my Tuffy tool box in the back of the jeep. If you have to change a tire or something, it's always nice to just pull the gloves off and your hands are perfectly clean.
I carry mine in the same bag as my barrier mask and gauze and tape.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.