Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #856
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

man, there's some pretty sweet stories on here, especially the one about the sd card. The only thing I have ever done close to this was ride my 4-wheeler to the ghetto of youngstown

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #857
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

man...4hour th-read-athon

great stories everyone.

...my eyes hurt.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 03:06 AM   #858
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I can't believe I just read this entire thread...must sleep now...great thread, will follow.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #859
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing spectacular, but it is unusual. Came across this bus on Bald Mountain here in VA. I'm surprised it made it there, it must have taken a looong time. Hard to say why, a group of college kids, a hunter wanting shelter maybe? It's neat to look at, the engine and trans is still there. It's been set on fire so not much left of the inside, but the door opener assembly and rod is SS and still is pristine. Weird.

Unread 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #860
gamble71

what's it got in it? The big V6 or a 327?
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #861
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I believe I remember it having an 8 cyl. I didn't pay attention that closely.
Unread 12-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #862
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just watched a show about how moonshiners would have there stills in old buses in the woods and when they got busted the ATF would burn everything inside the buses but not let the hole thing burn( so the woods didnt catch on fire) So i wonder if thats what happened to that bus??
Edit** this show said it happens a lot in VA or WVA
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #863
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's as good a reason as any I could come up with. Sans the first row or two of seats and the driver seat, there were no other seat frames in there indicating it wasn't exactly used to haul people any longer.
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #864
gamble71

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
I believe I remember it having an 8 cyl. I didn't pay attention that closely.

Cool. Can't help it myself, old school gearhead. If it was a V8, I'd have run the numbers and probably found a way to pull it out by now. Parts is parts
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #865
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A couple years ago a friend and I explored an abandoned coal mine out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in update NY. I've completely forgotten now how I got to it. This was before I had my Jeep, so we drove there in my 4Runner and parked a couple miles away out in the woods and hiked the rest of the way to the coal mine. Here're a few pictures.

This is one of the catwalks leading into the mountain... we turned back when we came to these missing floor boards.

The slag pile.

Old equipment sinking into it.

It took forever to get to the top.

The place was huge. We didn't have enough time to explore it all before sundown. About halfway through the complex though, we started hearing voices echoing through the tunnels, and machinery running in the distance. We didn't really feel like walking through the underground to figure out what it was, so we worked our way back out of the buildings and started walking around it in the woods to figure out who was there. Turned out there was an asbestos cleaning crew working the site. We camped out in one of the buildings until their shift ended at 5, then checked out their site. They left all their equipment on location because the place was closed off from the main entrance (we came in on foot from the woods). Generators and everything. We left it alone, just finished exploring until there was only enough light left to find my 4Runner in the woods.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #866
chuckyj95

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
Wow, some awesome stories/places and I didn't even read them all. I can add 2 short stories but nothing like some of the stuff I read here so far.

I am in the Adirondacks a lot because it is my back yard so to speak. So about 20 years ago I decided to take this dirt road and ended up at the Tahawis Mine. It was closed down in the 1950's and was a Titanium mine. There is a dirt road going in there and a steel gate and it was open so I drove the jeep in and parked part way down the road because I could see a vehicle parked down at the main building. Now this place is supposed to be closed. My GF is with me and we kinda just walk up there (it's all wide open) and are real close to the building and hear machinery running. Lights are on. There is something going on in there. We walk around the building whoch is a very large old warehouse type with real large doors and is maybe 300 feet long...not a sole around...... just the noise of machinery running......and on the other side of the building is an fj40, old and beat but looked in running condition with the key in the ignition. Big mountains of slag everywhere. (it was an open pit mine) Another real long building about 6 stories high and in rough shape with a large conveyer system running through it. It started to get spooky like someone was watching us so we high tailed it out of there. Anyway, there is a "ghost Town" for the lack of a better term down the road. This was a community of mine workers when the mine was in operation. It was like a company town. There were a couple hundred people living there until the mine shut down operations supposedly sometime in the 1950's.. There are about 10 houses left there in various stages of falling down along with the remains of a giant smelting furnace. This place is really in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I go up there 2 or 3 times a year since then as there is a NYS trail system that runs close by. Also there is a guy that has a buffalo ranch with about 50 - 60 head left now and a small store and I always stop and look at the herd and talk to him. He sells buffalo meat and other things. He had a bull that weighed 2,000 pounds and he became totally unmanageable and so now his head is hanging on the wall. Just an enormous buffalo. Course, I don't get to see too many buffalo, so to me he was just enormous.
Were is that I would love to take a ride there and see that
2008 Triumph Speedmaster

Last edited by chuckyj95; 12-31-2008 at 07:07 PM..
chuckyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #867
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just a word to the wise for some of you guys, you need to be very careful when exploring abandoned mines. The ground in them is almost always unstable and without them being worked, they're not maintained. Without regular maintenance, they're prone to collapse.

Another common hazard in mines is mine gasses. Again, without the mine being worked, there isn't adequate ventilation to expel the gasses. All common mine gasses are fatal and some of them cause a very painful death. Common mine gasses include carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, methane, acetylene and hydrogen.

You can see that some of these gasses will form explosive mixtures with oxygen and some of them will form explosive mixtures at extremely low concentrations.

The third common hazard is standing water. Mine gasses like nitrogen oxides and hydrogen sulfide will make these puddles of standing water into nitric and sulfuric acids. When disturbed, these acid puddles will release the gasses that formed them in the first place. The gas release from these puddles is instantaneous too. A large release of hydrogen sulfide in an enclosed area will be fatal for all in the drift.

Standing water also poses the problem of carrying sediments that don't readily settle out of the water. What appears to be a 3 inch deep puddle can be 10 or 15 feet deep. The sediments that are suspended in the water will also act as quick sand and cause a struggling victim to become trapped quickly.

Learn how to "bar down," or scale and be sure to bar down any chamber that you plan on spending time in. There should still be scaling bars laying around a mine unless people have walked off with them. This has saved my life on more than one occasion.

I'm not trying to be the fun cops here and tell you guys to stay out of mines. I've worked in them and think they're some of the coolest places that I've been. I'm just trying to share with you what is common knowledge among miners and some of the safety that we're required to know before setting foot in a mine.

If planning a trip to an abandoned mine, be sure to let someone know where you're going, how many are with you and when you plan to be back. If you happen upon one and decided to explore, leave a note at the portal explaining how many are inside and the time and date that you entered. Also, be sure to take a respirator and use it. Take 2 flashlights per person. Wear a hard hat or climbing helmet if you have one.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #868
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Another common hazard in mines is mine gasses. Again, without the mine being worked, there isn't adequate ventilation to expel the gasses. All common mine gasses are fatal and some of them cause a very painful death. Common mine gasses include carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, methane, acetylene and hydrogen.

besides these...you'll also need to watch your exposures to the "heavy metals."

...not metallica or megadeth, but mercury, lead, etc. mines usually separate these from their final product...and back in the day before the epa...well, they probably weren't too careful on how they disposed of them.

have fun...but what's fun about dying or polluting your offspring?

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #869
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
besides these...you'll also need to watch your exposures to the "heavy metals."

...not metallica or megadeth, but mercury, lead, etc. mines usually separate these from their final product...and back in the day before the epa...well, they probably weren't too careful on how they disposed of them.

have fun...but what's fun about dying or polluting your offspring?

b_c
Heavy metal concentration aren't going to be high enough in most mines to be a health threat. Even in a lead or cadmium mine, it takes years of working 12 hour days for the blood concentrations to become dangerously high.

Arsenic can be found pretty easily in Nevada and Southern Cali though. It shows up as bright red streaks in otherwise dull brown or grey rock. It's an oddity and will attract attention, especially by those who are new to being in mines. Handling it, then smoking or eating is enough to make you pretty sick.

Native arsenic from the Turquoise Ridge mine in Nevada:

Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #870
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
Just a word to the wise for some of you guys, you need to be very careful when exploring abandoned mines. The ground in them is almost always unstable and without them being worked, they're not maintained. Without regular maintenance, they're prone to collapse.

You can see that some of these gasses will form explosive mixtures with oxygen and some of them will form explosive mixtures at extremely low concentrations.

The third common hazard is standing water. Mine gasses like nitrogen oxides and hydrogen sulfide will make these puddles of standing water into nitric and sulfuric acids. When disturbed, these acid puddles will release the gasses that formed them in the first place. The gas release from these puddles is instantaneous too. A large release of hydrogen sulfide in an enclosed area will be fatal for all in the drift.

Standing water also poses the problem of carrying sediments that don't readily settle out of the water. What appears to be a 3 inch deep puddle can be 10 or 15 feet deep. The sediments that are suspended in the water will also act as quick sand and cause a struggling victim to become trapped quickly.

Learn how to "bar down," or scale and be sure to bar down any chamber that you plan on spending time in. There should still be scaling bars laying around a mine unless people have walked off with them. This has saved my life on more than one occasion.

I'm not trying to be the fun cops here and tell you guys to stay out of mines. I've worked in them and think they're some of the coolest places that I've been. I'm just trying to share with you what is common knowledge among miners and some of the safety that we're required to know before setting foot in a mine.

If planning a trip to an abandoned mine, be sure to let someone know where you're going, how many are with you and when you plan to be back. If you happen upon one and decided to explore, leave a note at the portal explaining how many are inside and the time and date that you entered. Also, be sure to take a respirator and use it. Take 2 flashlights per person. Wear a hard hat or climbing helmet if you have one.
Yeah there's that. But it was still fun.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.