Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 10-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #781
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I suppose it's mine tailings that have been eroded into that by rains.

I dunno. never seen anything like it anywhere.

bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #782
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Almost looks like a termite mound...
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #783
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchMOB View Post
So one day we are wheeling on Broke Back Mountain.
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #784
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Anyone ever make it out to Centralia, PA? The town with the coal fire burning underground in the abandoned mines. Ive seen some pictures and video's of it, and it looks like a neat place to explore. The highway (61 I believe) was physically barricaded with a dirt berm to keep people out of the heaving grounds, and the town itself looks to be in the process of being reclaimed by nature.
I LOVE Centralia... It's about 45~ minutes from my place... I probably drive thru it at least once a month.
Unread 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #785
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

How do you drive thru? Is the interstate still open threw there? Any idea when it will go out?
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #786
Comanche_

i've heard that the fire could go on forever
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #787
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's been burning since '62. There should be enough coal to keep it burning for at least another 200 years. There's only one mine fire, in the world, that is larger than Centralia/Byrnesville. It's burning Mountain is Australia. It's estimated that it has been burning for 6000 years and will burn as long as the earth exists.
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #788
Thumperyz250f
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great link for information about Centrali. Under FAQ it explains how to get in and how it is legal. Plenty of pictures too.

http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/centralia.htm
-8.8 Lock-Right, HP30 Open, 4.56-
-35x12.5 KM2's, MT Spe. Edi. black-
-Superwinch LP8500, BTF Grill Hoop-
Thumperyz250f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #789
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

You can still get into the town via 61... It's just that they closed a section of it off because of the warped, cracked, falling through road.

They recently upped their "road block" on that section of the road too... As to prohibit people from parking at either side of the closed section. But, you can still park and walk if you wanted. With their new "road block" they took down the infamous "Mine Fire" sign that faced Ashland.

The above link is a great reference.

I think they did arial heat plots of Centralia in the last decade or so, that showed the fire actually heading towards Ashland. Most of the country up in Centralia was all mining towns... So I'm sure there's more than enough under there to keep it burning for quite some time.
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #790
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm...reminds me of Silent Hill... They had the fire burning under the town...then the portal opened up...
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #791
Aeronaca
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously though One night my GF and I were riding the trails. We came across this old parking lot or open field. There was a metal brief case sitting in the middle of the lot. I drove right up to it and opne the door to my jeep. Leaned way over to pick it up. As I put my hand on it. Some car at the edge of the lot flashes his lights on momentarily. I didn't see the car at first just this shiny metal briefcase. i decided to leave the case and get the HECK out of there.

Last edited by Aeronaca; 10-25-2008 at 10:46 PM..
Aeronaca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 03:15 AM   #792
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow... I really gotta say I had no idea this post would become this popular! I check back from time to time and am amazed to see it grow the way it is. Some fantastic finds!

The radar station I mentioned in my O.P. is now but a memory. The buildings and fences are still there but all the radar equipment and the antenna arrays are long gone now. I got to be friendly with the caretaker there and he has pics from ever since the thing was starting to be built to when it was destroyed. He worked there the entire time as a tech and then after the Air Force decommissioned it and he retired he hired on with the private company that maintained it in warm storage mode, through cold storage mode and now he only goes out there once or twice a week to check on the buildings.

That place was his baby. It really tore him up to see it torn down like it was but life goes on. He took great pride in keeping it maintained -- he even waxed the Cummins diesel generator sets, believe it or not! He'd fire them up once a month and run them, but once they put the facility into cold storage they cut off his fuel supply and that was the beginning of the end as far as he was concerned.

As I understand it, the Air Force still has to keep the water tanks full for fire suppression since the property is located within National Forest lands.

http://craigsrailroadpages.com/oth-b/ for pics and more info if anyone is interested.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #793
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Looks like a F-105(?) starfighter.
The F-105 is the thunderchief (looks nothing like this)

the F-104 is the starfighter, and has larger naucelle inlets that span the height of the fuselage.

That isn't an F-4 either.

that looks like either a F11

more than likely it's an A-4

Last edited by Greg_Volkman; 10-26-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #794
heyitsme
1999 TJ Wrangler 

there's nothing really interesting around here. we did find an old abandoned hunting camp with beer bottles all around, with an old camper there. few months later came back and the camper was destroyed and stripped of all the metal. needless to say we were always well armed when going in there.
not wheeling, but over in west alabama somewhere there's a natural bridge thats pretty cool to see, and big rocks broke in half and slid halfway down a hill; looked like they were cut with a saw. neat to see.

...all of this talk of old miltary stuff and mysterious compounds in CA makes me want to go there. kinda like the "hatch" from Lost.
Unread 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #795
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was poking around some public land (hunting preserve) and came across what seemed to be a very old and overgrown 2 track leading away from the main dirt/ 2 track trail. I walk it in (someone took a backhoe and dug a trench across the 2 track so no one would enter) and about 50 feet back I came across a large pad of asphalt, which then turned in to a tile floor which abruptly ended at the bank of a man made waterway (a narrow canal dredged in a swamp for foul boats).

It looked like there used to be a gas station or convenience store there once that was torn down so they could dig a river through it. Ive never seen anything like that before.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.