Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 50 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #736
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was stationed in Arizona, and while out hiking toward our usual campground (we couldn't wheel out there due to restricted areas), came across a group of Mexican immigrants running for their life with 2 border patrol trucks rolling behind them. Same trip, my friend dove off a cliff into a waterfall fed pond and found a gold watch at the very bottom.

Unread 09-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #737
firefighter315
I got a brain sneeze....

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
The place people were talking about where the camera card was taken sounds a lot like Waverly Hills here in Louisville, KY. It is considered the most haunted place in the country possibly the world. That show ghost hunters has come several times and several of their tools for measuring abnormal things broke because of the activity.
They now give Ghost tours to pay for the building's restoration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills_Sanatorium

i've driven past it but not taken the tour. My girlfriend has been inside and said it was very creepy especially the "body chute"

I've been to Waverly several times and it is quite an experience. They used to use a portion of it for a haunted house every Halloween (don't know if they still do). I have a paramedic friend who was a member of the Louisville Ghost Hunters Society, or something like that, and they provide security and tours for the owner. He told us of an area that they keep locked with a large chain and several locks because the "activity" in that area is so common that it verges on dangerous. Sadly, he left the group due to a disagreement before he could take us on a private tour of that area. My brother who is the world's largest cynic, took the overnight stay tour and said they had a guy who had to be taken out to the hospital because a glass bottle came flying through the air and hit him in the head causing a large laceration. The body chute is where you used to exit the haunted house. It is the long underground tunnel that leads from the basement and rises to the area outside where they used to load the hundreds of bodies of people that died there when it was a tuberculosis hospital. Don't know why they called it a hospital when the people were just locked up in there in an attempt to keep the disease from spreading more. Anyway, VERY cool place to check out!!!!!
firefighter315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #738
JayMasterFlex23
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I swear to this one. Me and my buddys were wheeling through an place out here on long island. there are tons of trails and always seem to find something ne everytime we venture. This one time we were going through a really narrow trail, just hauling on through and we get to a little roundabout in the trail and instead of turning around we just kept going. we come down a hill and we find ourselfs scrambling to shut off all the lights and such. We some how ended up in the backyard of an appartment complex. I mean i know that there is surrounding areas around the site but i had no idea there was an appartment complex. We all stop and just take a look around and come to find a elderly, probably 55-65 yrs, WOMAN standing on the inside of the second floor behind a sliding glass door. And sure enough her shirt starts coming off and then sure enough the PANTIES DROPPED. We were all stunned and were scrambling once again to get outa there and turn the trucks around in the narrow trail. The funny part of this is that she had no idea we were there it was night time and she was in a well lit room, so she couldnt see out!! We re-named that trail to "The Pantie Dropper"........GOOD TIMES!!!
1992 XJ 2 Door Sport. 4.5'' Rough Country, TKS Sway Bay Quick Disconects, No Rear Sway Bar, Home Built Snorkle, No Carpet, Front Hitch Receiver, Rear Hitch Receiver, 2 Receiver Hooks, Winch Bumper, Surco Roof Rack, BFG A/T 33x12.5x15, Train Horns, Warn T-Case Skid Plate......TO COME SOON----Heavy Duty Rear Bumper, 12,000 lb Winch, Rock Slyders, And Misc. Armor!!
JayMasterFlex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #739
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The first trail I went down I went even further down (well up) this road looking think where there was a lot of cut down brush and stuff. As soon as we came over the peak of the small hill we saw a very small camper trailer. About as soon as we saw that we were out of there. Like this trail would be completely impassable by anything stock so there is no question as to the fact that if anybody actually resides in there they are residing there for a reason.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #740
HikerX
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool thread indeed!

Back in '04 I was headed from Indiana up to Yellowstone in October. Poor planning on my part since several of the roads were reported closed that lead up to the park. I wasn't so brave to tackle it with chains that I had yet to buy, so I headed back down to Colorado from mid-north WY. Ended up spending a lot of time wandering CO.

The cool thing about WY is that I kept seeing all these dirt roads branch off from the interstate. So, I decided to take one and follow it for awhile.

I ran across an old, abandoned, very picturesque farmstead, and all along the road I kept seeing boots on the fence posts. Seemed like hundreds of them.

Odd, but interesting. Never found out why they were there...

'04 TJ
'86 CJ7
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #741
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I've been told that the human smell left in the boots helps prevent predators from crossing the fence and going after livestock. We had a biker rally just south of Denver that used to have an admission fee of boots or shoes. The property this rally was held on was "procured" by the city, so they moved it further south to Elizabeth, CO.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #742
HikerX
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
I've been told that the human smell left in the boots helps prevent predators from crossing the fence and going after livestock. We had a biker rally just south of Denver that used to have an admission fee of boots or shoes. The property this rally was held on was "procured" by the city, so they moved it further south to Elizabeth, CO.
VERY interesting... They'd hit the jackpot with some of my old shoes.
'04 TJ
'86 CJ7
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #743
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well yesterday afternoon we were just exploring Carpenter Canyon and on the trail discovered an abandoned pick up.

sad thing though is that there was all kinds of stuff left in, tools, air compressor....but it was gutted otherwise, with no plates...yet the VIN was one it.

also, sadly was a letter left that still needed to be stamped and sent to someone in Joshua Tree, California. it had pics of kids in it, and was just a letter to a mom or aunt that someone never got.....but the saddest thing of all was the form letter from the State of Nevada awarding custody of those kids to someone, I couldn't make out......hope it all came out okay in the end.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #744
Fred99TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
well yesterday afternoon we were just exploring Carpenter Canyon and on the trail discovered an abandoned pick up.

sad thing though is that there was all kinds of stuff left in, tools, air compressor....but it was gutted otherwise, with no plates...yet the VIN was one it.

also, sadly was a letter left that still needed to be stamped and sent to someone in Joshua Tree, California. it had pics of kids in it, and was just a letter to a mom or aunt that someone never got.....but the saddest thing of all was the form letter from the State of Nevada awarding custody of those kids to someone, I couldn't make out......hope it all came out okay in the end.
So with it stripped and no plates you are now the owner of some tools and a compressor?

Did you get an address from the letters?
Unread 09-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #745
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

none of us took the stuff inside.

that's just wrong (though it was tempting), but we did take the letter, since it had a clearly legible return address on it, and refer it to the Forest Service, who I guess will call the sheriff.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #746
moparman12
1996 ZJ 

Great thread....
Whew!
moparman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:39 AM   #747
moparman12
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic99007 View Post
well, i guess i'll never go to pueblo. Here in Idaho we have the INL idaho national laboratory. It's one of those places that if you get off the 2 public roads that cross the area, you will have some of the guys in black GMC right on your tail. Any way on the other side of the mountains from there is a little town called Howe. One day we were out there playing around looking for indian ruins and found this
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...9007/vault.jpg

After talking to a couple of the locals out there we found out that some guy had lost his mind, thought aliens had taken him. So, he went up into this canyon and dug a little room out of the solid stone and then put on this huge solid metal door. it's a little bit of a creepy place
Any spcific directions to that place? I would love to check it out on my next trip through there on my way to Mom's in IF.
moparman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #748
firefighterjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I came across the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY while mountain biking during my college years. We didn't know it was there, had never even heard about it for that matter. As we rode right past the front of the main building, looking at all the graffiti, we couldn't shake the eerie feeling that we were being watched. Seriously creeped us out. We decided not to stick around. As we went past, we found a long gravel road. Not long after starting down the road, a small white car comes flying up behind us....from the direction of Waverly. He stopped beside us and asked us what we were doing there. We told him we were just out riding and stumbled across the huge "abandoned" building. His response was for us to leave immediately. We took his advice. It wasn't until a few months later when I found out what we had seen and the history behind the place. No wonder we felt like we were being watched. I've never been back. Since then, several friends of mine have invited me to go with them for the Halloween tours. I've always refused. I'm usually pretty skeptical about stuff like that, but I can't shake the uneasy feeling we had the whole time we were there.

Now, there's a movie about the place shot on location at the sanatorium and various sites around Louisville, KY. It's called "Death Tunnel". I've seen the movie and if I remember correctly, it was based on actual happenings there.
firefighterjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #749
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterjeep View Post
I came across the Waverly Hills Sanatorium in Louisville, KY while mountain biking during my college years. We didn't know it was there, had never even heard about it for that matter. As we rode right past the front of the main building, looking at all the graffiti, we couldn't shake the eerie feeling that we were being watched. Seriously creeped us out. We decided not to stick around. As we went past, we found a long gravel road. Not long after starting down the road, a small white car comes flying up behind us....from the direction of Waverly. He stopped beside us and asked us what we were doing there. We told him we were just out riding and stumbled across the huge "abandoned" building. His response was for us to leave immediately. We took his advice. It wasn't until a few months later when I found out what we had seen and the history behind the place. No wonder we felt like we were being watched. I've never been back. Since then, several friends of mine have invited me to go with them for the Halloween tours. I've always refused. I'm usually pretty skeptical about stuff like that, but I can't shake the uneasy feeling we had the whole time we were there.

Now, there's a movie about the place shot on location at the sanatorium and various sites around Louisville, KY. It's called "Death Tunnel". I've seen the movie and if I remember correctly, it was based on actual happenings there.

That is messed up. I wonder why some of these 'abandoned' buildings are guarded so well and secretly. If they are having issues with people snooping around, you'd figure they would just get rid of the building. Some of these places that people have told about on here are very sketchy especially with the guards that show up out of nowhere.

Definitely a great thread
Unread 09-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #750
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonez View Post
I do alot of backpacking and wheeling in my area. I have found four strange things in Ga/Tn.

1. Found an abandon town in Austell Ga. It has five buildings one of them being a church. We use to go there in high school and party. I wish I could find it again and take pictures. It was really weird the town was built in the 70s and then deserted. Everything was in good shape so you could walk around the buildings.

do you have the slightest idea where tis is, austell is close to me and id like to find it. any clue, landmark, anything?

thanks
whitie_08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.