Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Reply
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #616
GrimJeeper91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,270
One day while traveling trails I frequently run in Big Bear (north of the lake), I noticed a very faint trail heading into the trees. I decided to check out this side spur. It was apparent that no vehicles had traveled this route in a LONG time. There were no tracks in front of me and there was plenty of debris on the trail (growth, fallen limbs, etc.). After climbing up the hillside a little ways the trail turned to the left and wound around trees and shrubs. I was surprised to find it ended at a VERY heavily used camp.

There were five tents and miscellaneous equipment and supplies visible. All of the tents looked pretty weathered and one of the closer tents had a hole cut in the roof. Although all of the doors were open I couldn't really get a good look into any of them, but I could see that they had gear in them. The site looked like it had been quickly evacuated. Tent doors were all wide open exposing personal belongings. Other items like 5 gallon water containers looked like they had been hastily dropped. One was in the middle of the trail. There were four old wheels and tires leaning against a tree and a old bicycle propped up against another tree. A small play pen about 10 feet square had been constructed from tree limbs and it contained children's toys. Behind the tent furthest from me was a two seater ATV similar to those used by hunters. So much stuff and a heavily used camp but no use on the only access road to the camp didn't sit real well with me.

I was traveling with another YJ that was about a 100 yards behind me. When I discovered the camp I immediately felt that it was suspicious and radioed (CB) back to my buddy that the trail ended and simply stated people were camped there. After a seven point turn I took a quick GPS waypoint and I left the location. I had the feeling of being watched and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I'm guessing I stumbled upon a meth lab but I can't be sure. I don't think the area isn't lush enough for a pot farm.

__________________
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...

Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 02-15-2008 at 08:05 AM..
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #617
wessy
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 284
thats spooky I havent been wheeling nearly enough lol
__________________
89 YJ 4.2L, TF999, NP231, 31X10.5X15R TSL, No sway bars or track bars, RE 4" lift, Optima red top

[COLOR="Red"]CANADIAN[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]WHEELER[/COLOR]
wessy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #618
BradG
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Purdue, West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
One day while traveling trails I frequently run in Big Bear (north of the lake), I noticed a very faint trail heading into the trees. I decided to check out this side spur. It was apparent that no vehicles had traveled this route in a LONG time. There were no tracks in front of me and there was plenty of debris on the trail (growth, fallen limbs, etc.). After climbing up the hillside a little ways the trail turned to the left and wound around trees and shrubs. I was surprised to find it ended at a VERY heavily used camp.

There were five tents and miscellaneous equipment and supplies visible. All of the tents looked pretty weathered and one of the closer tents had a hole cut in the roof. Although all of the doors were open I couldn't really get a good look into any of them, but I could see that they had gear in them. The site looked like it had been quickly evacuated. Tent doors were all wide open exposing personal belongings. Other items like 5 gallon water containers looked like they had been hastily dropped. One was in the middle of the trail. There were four old wheels and tires leaning against a tree and a old bicycle propped up against another tree. A small play pen about 10 feet square had been constructed from tree limbs and it contained children's toys. Behind the tent furthest from me was a two seater ATV similar to those used by hunters. So much stuff and a heavily used camp but no use on the only access road to the camp didn't sit real well with me.

I was traveling with another YJ that was about a 100 yards behind me. When I discovered the camp I immediately felt that it was suspicious and radioed (CB) back to my buddy that the trail ended and simply stated people were camped there. After a seven point turn I took a quick GPS waypoint and I left the location. I had the feeling of being watched and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I'm guessing I stumbled upon a meth lab but I can't be sure. I don't think the area isn't lush enough for a pot farm.
Look up the DEA in the phone book and call it in. You have the lat/long in your GPS.
__________________
2003 TJ X Silver | 31x10.50x15 BFG A/Ts | 10k front tow hooks, factory rear tow hook | 2" coil spacers | Cobra 19 with RatShack 102" stainless whip on an Arizona RockyRoad tire carrier mount | Kilby Steering Box Skid | AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders | Olympic Slider Rear Bumper w Receiver | Skid Row Engine/Oil/Tranny skid (still sitting in my living room)
BradG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #619
tcourdin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 View Post
I'm guessing I stumbled upon a meth lab but I can't be sure. I don't think the area isn't lush enough for a pot farm.
Crazy, you have to be aware of your surroundings these days, thats for sure. Lots o' whackos out there anymore.
__________________
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #620
GrimJeeper91
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradG View Post
Look up the DEA in the phone book and call it in. You have the lat/long in your GPS.
I called the Forrest Service and the Sheriffs Department and provided all the information. The Forrest Service wouldn't get involved. The Sheriffs Dept. was eager to take the info but never investigated (as far as I know). I called them every couple of weeks for six months before finally giving up. I did what I could though...
__________________
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #621
NewhampshireYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarjeep View Post
the wierdest thing ive found was a pot farm. i was out camping out of Auburn,CA (norcal) and we were camping at a small campground (no bathrooms or anything). long story short we woke up to gunshots. apparently the guy running the pot farm next to us didnt want us there so without even taking down the tent (we just dragged it into a trailer) and hightailed it outa there. ya theres a lot of pot farms in northern california. that was the scariest and wierdest.
You mean you filled the tent then dragged it into the trailer because it was heavy.
__________________
1993 Black YJ
All Terrain 33's-4 inch RC lift
Revolver shackles- some other stuff
NewhampshireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #622
Paul_C
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 362
This thread keeps going and going. A few years ago I was literally out in the middle of nowhere Arizona visiting my girlfriends parents. They live in a small community about a hundred miles from the next town. They had a dune buggy so we took it out for the day. Going off the trail we would see tombstones here and there, Some pretty old some relatively recent. Still kind of weird being miles from the trail. Then I found an old trail the little buggy just barely fit through. It came to an old steel bridge that went across a dried up creek. We went across the bridge as it was still quite sturdy and well built. About a half mile after that we ran into what was left of a large stone house. The walls and fireplace was still standing but the rest was gone. It looked like people were burning fires in the fireplace recently. I would have to guess it to be a friday night hangout for kids with quads. Just kind of weird to figure someone forging his way out there decades ago and building a house. Must have been a ranch since there are no mines in the area. And what's with the tombstones 20 miles from the nearest paved road.

Same trip, we were all driving to Oatman, an old mining town along RT66. Half way through the mountain pass we pull over to a bluff. Down the steep slope were headstones. another interesting sight was where old cars drove off the switchbacks and got hung up on the cliffs. Must have seen a dozen from the 50's and 60's.
Paul_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #623
wizardPC
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nolensville, Tennessee
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTeal-J View Post
Found this near the Coke Ovens

That guy was on the Bronco forums. I remember when that happened. he went back andd got it a couple days later.
Here's the thread on it over at FullSizeBronco.com: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29431
more pics and a vid of it being winched over: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30242
__________________
http://GunsCarsTech.com
If I've never pissed you off, give it time.

Last edited by wizardPC; 02-27-2008 at 11:31 PM..
wizardPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #624
bikedude189
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: flagstaff, az
Posts: 1,104
coolest thing ive found is a set of full size axles out in the forrest. looked like they were one tons or something. one was missing the diff and the other the drum brakes. i wish i had at least gotten them and sold for scrap, they weren't useable. still cool to find tho...
__________________
'93 4X4
AX-15
NP-231
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #625
Challenger357
Registered User
1961 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nazo, PA
Posts: 10
I've never found anythign too exciting because im 15 so i cant drive to wheeling spots(or anywhere else lol) but I do cruise around the old trails at our hunting club in the poconoes when the cj will cooperate. Ive found some old ruins from the 1700s and earlier from when all the land up there was cleared farmland. its pretty intersting to see old pictures liek that because its thick woods now. I've also found some very old and overgrown trails that were only identifiable as such by 2 faint ruts in the woods. the short wheelbase is great for that kinda thing tho when you find a 3 foot tree in the middle of the road. And many times i have found excuses for getting my dad to fire up the winch. A 47 year old 4 banger on ****ty 27s has its limits
Challenger357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #626
Dmcastino
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 3,179
i used to go wheeling at a quarry near my house before they gated it up, and we walked along a trail that we couldnt get through cuz of some really deep ruts and i see the bottom of and old xj sticking out of the lake. It had rolled off the trail and went down about a 20 foot drop. I climed down there to check it out and i found most of the exhaust pipe strung up in a tree and the axles and suspension were gone. Funniest thing though was when i got to the water's edge i noticed that the xj was actually sittin on top of a full-size bronco or blazer!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:10 AM   #627
AlTheKillerr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Star IV
Posts: 4,996
not quite offroad story but a urban exploring

hmm how to start the story..... well here in town on the outskirts theres an old abonded insane asylum. rumor has it that there were alot of weird experiments done on the patients that were there. all done by the gubment. i thought they were just story and had never even seen or heard much about this place. well a friend of mine drove down from up north and we were bored and just driving around town that night. we got lost and ended up in a part of town ive never been in. we came to the end of a road and it turned into a dirt path that hadnt been traveled in a long time. we decide to take it. it ends up taking us into the middle of a couple buildings kinda like a court yard area. on one side was the insane asylum and right across it was a big red bricked building with all the windows and the front doors boarded up. we just sat there for a moment wondering what we should do. we decided to turn the lights out and just idle around the court yard and get closer look at the red bricked building. we got close enough that we could see a sign on the building that marked it as a nuclear/hazardus waste site. we started to get pretty creeped out at this point so we decided to keep moving. we followed a rather wide side walk aways and passed a sign. we turned around to read it and it clearly stated trespassers will be detained or shot on sight. we looked at each other mouths agape... we turned around and headed back for the path we had followed in. as we were driving out that path we saw some lights shinning around on the buildings back behind us. we turned around in our seats and found that 3 all black GMC style suburbans (Yukons i think they are?) had drivin into the court yard. at that point we said **** this we're out and took off up that path and out of there. it was a very strange place and im willing to try and find it agian and get some or atleast one picture of the place. since that encounter ive felt like im being monitered and its kinda creepy.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #628
JEEP97TJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MD/Virginia Tech
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
not quite offroad story but a urban exploring

hmm how to start the story..... well here in town on the outskirts theres an old abonded insane asylum. rumor has it that there were alot of weird experiments done on the patients that were there. all done by the gubment. i thought they were just story and had never even seen or heard much about this place. well a friend of mine drove down from up north and we were bored and just driving around town that night. we got lost and ended up in a part of town ive never been in. we came to the end of a road and it turned into a dirt path that hadnt been traveled in a long time. we decide to take it. it ends up taking us into the middle of a couple buildings kinda like a court yard area. on one side was the insane asylum and right across it was a big red bricked building with all the windows and the front doors boarded up. we just sat there for a moment wondering what we should do. we decided to turn the lights out and just idle around the court yard and get closer look at the red bricked building. we got close enough that we could see a sign on the building that marked it as a nuclear/hazardus waste site. we started to get pretty creeped out at this point so we decided to keep moving. we followed a rather wide side walk aways and passed a sign. we turned around to read it and it clearly stated trespassers will be detained or shot on sight. we looked at each other mouths agape... we turned around and headed back for the path we had followed in. as we were driving out that path we saw some lights shinning around on the buildings back behind us. we turned around in our seats and found that 3 all black GMC style suburbans (Yukons i think they are?) had drivin into the court yard. at that point we said **** this we're out and took off up that path and out of there. it was a very strange place and im willing to try and find it agian and get some or atleast one picture of the place. since that encounter ive felt like im being monitered and its kinda creepy.

No freaking way, that is crazy Have you researched it at all, you should try and find it on the internet. That is completely insane. Were there any gates to the place or anything? I can't imagine it being so easy to get to. Very weird.
__________________
Blacksburg, VA
JEEP97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #629
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim
 
FPKites's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 13,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crom View Post
not quite offroad story but a urban exploring

hmm how to start the story..... well here in town on the outskirts theres an old abonded insane asylum. rumor has it that there were alot of weird experiments done on the patients that were there. all done by the gubment. i thought they were just story and had never even seen or heard much about this place. well a friend of mine drove down from up north and we were bored and just driving around town that night. we got lost and ended up in a part of town ive never been in. we came to the end of a road and it turned into a dirt path that hadnt been traveled in a long time. we decide to take it. it ends up taking us into the middle of a couple buildings kinda like a court yard area. on one side was the insane asylum and right across it was a big red bricked building with all the windows and the front doors boarded up. we just sat there for a moment wondering what we should do. we decided to turn the lights out and just idle around the court yard and get closer look at the red bricked building. we got close enough that we could see a sign on the building that marked it as a nuclear/hazardus waste site. we started to get pretty creeped out at this point so we decided to keep moving. we followed a rather wide side walk aways and passed a sign. we turned around to read it and it clearly stated trespassers will be detained or shot on sight. we looked at each other mouths agape... we turned around and headed back for the path we had followed in. as we were driving out that path we saw some lights shinning around on the buildings back behind us. we turned around in our seats and found that 3 all black GMC style suburbans (Yukons i think they are?) had drivin into the court yard. at that point we said **** this we're out and took off up that path and out of there. it was a very strange place and im willing to try and find it agian and get some or atleast one picture of the place. since that encounter ive felt like im being monitered and its kinda creepy.
You referring to someplace in TX, or here in CO? If CO, it's possibly Ridge Home, and very little is known about it (publicly, anyway)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...formation.html
__________________
Jim Karlin
"How the heck do you get there?"
"Duh! Big RED Jeep!!!"
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #630
AlTheKillerr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Star IV
Posts: 4,996
im not sure about the gates but im sure there would have to be some im thinking the way we went in the gate was either open or a section of fence was down or something. it was here in pueblo. in the next day or two ill take my camera along with me and ill try and find it again. ive got a bunch of arrends i need to run today and assumeing i get off my *** ill try for it today.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.