Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #586
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I remembered another "strange" thing I found.
I was driving a Cherokee near Sedona AZ in the Spring of 1999, scouting locations for landscape photography. The red dirt of Sedona is liquid when it's wet, and like stone when it's dry. As I was negotiating the dry ruts of the trail, I noticed something that had obviously been dropped into the mud when it was wet, and stayed there as it dried. I stopped the Jeep mid-rut, and reached down to the ground from the driver's seat. I carefully wrestled a small jar with a plastic stopper all decorated with fimo clay. I lifted it into the cab, and opened it to discover a couple of nuggets of really stinky pot. Being good citizens, we disposed of the illicit substance in an environmentally friendly manner. I gave my sister the jar after it was completely cleaned. She still has it.

Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #587
jayr

Found this thread through someone's sig (Thanks!) and thought it was cool so I had to contribute.

Every fall a bunch of us go camping/wheelin in the dense forest of S. VT at the same spot on a small lake for three days. Well my first time going which I think was 5 years ago, we went wheelin around the lake and came upon a rustic hunting cabin in the forest off the trail a bit but close to the lake. This thing is all set up with a kitchen, propane for cooking, and a wood stove etc. Well the coolest thing about it is the sign on the door: "If you open this door make sure you have identification to notify your next of kin". Needless to say we have NEVER messed with the place. Its hard to tell if its even used anymore but there is a sign inside with kills (ie. Nov 1976 6-pointer etc.) that is last dated sometime in the last 10 years. There is an old picnic table in the "yard" so every year we go back to this place with coolers and just hang in the yard before heading the rest of the way around. Have yet to bring a camera since everyone and everything is covered in mud by the time we leave so don't want risk getting it ruined - maybe next year I'll have to get a cheap one to bring.

Also last year while on the way out from this same camping trip we stopped for a break on the trail and lo and behold as we're standing there shootin the s@#$, I look down and see a handle buried in the forest floor. I kick it and realize its a perfectly good straight-claw hammer that now lives in my toolbox!
jayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #588
88xjchief
1989 MJ Comanche 

One time I went hiking in the woods around where I live and I found an abandoned car. It looked like it was there for 20 years. It was rusted into the ground and bullet holes every where.
88xjchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #589
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
If anyone is interested in radar facility mentioned in the original post that started this thread, the Over The Horizon Backscatter Radar facility in the woods has now been dismantled and all the radar gear, antennae structures, back screens and ground screens have been demolishd and hauled off as scrap. The buildings still remain.

Pictures: http://craigsrailroadpages.com/oth-b/
Bummer, that was a nice piece of history that was out in BFE for people to stumble upon and think they found something super secret. I hope they at least leave the buildings and signs.
Unread 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #590
88xjchief
1989 MJ Comanche 

Today out on the trail I saw a BMW and a Range Rover out getting dirty.
88xjchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #591
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88xjchief
Today out on the trail I saw a BMW and a Range Rover out getting dirty.
stolen
Unread 10-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #592
JAW_WRANGLER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, i cant tell you how much time this has killed at work.... GREAT THREAD!
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #593
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was doing training at work and it took me two days to read all these....there has been some great stories

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #594
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This past weekend, I found Joe Dirts cousin. Skynard Mullet and all. He saw the www.4x4grace.com sticker on my windshield, and the one on the side of my rig, and said, in a Joe Dirt voice, "is that a Christian group??" "Im a Christian, see my gold cross". He was speaking of the gold cross necklace around his neck. I wanted to ask him where his meteor was.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #595
adurbin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scs748
out here in east tennessee find lots of junked cars, especially on one trail in the city limits, also lots of trash (old tires, appliances, etc) on the trail

about 2miles down a trail found an area fenced off next to the trail but no buildings
That would have to be Cash Hollow.
Northeast Tennessee Jeep Club Member #1
adurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #596
90eight
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I found a 3-wheeler lying on its side in a dry creek bed a couple miles from the nearest road somewhere in Indiana. In a deep gully in Madison county Ky there is a 59 Chevy Biscayne with no logical reason I can come up with for how it got there.

You guys have found some cool things, I need to go riding some more.
90eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #597
swoll50
2008 JK Wrangler 

great thread.

south florida sucks.
swoll50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #598
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is undoubtably one of the greatest threads, if not the greatest thread I have ever had the pleasure of reading!

Simply awesome!
Unread 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #599
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Holy crap. This thread took me at least 2 hours to read. Makes me want to go wheeling to find some cool ****. An old Indian reservation is on my property, have to go scout around.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #600
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

the only thing I've seen while wheeling that really sticks out is
in Calico there are trails all over behind the town with mine shafts everywhere
we were exploring some mine shafts (the kids and I) and we turned a corner in a shaft and there was a burned out VW bug complete .... motor trans everything there was NO WAY they could have gotten that bug in there because of the narrowness of the shaft and it was jammed in so tight we couldn't get around it so we went out climbed up on top the rock pile above the mine and there a hole that dropped down into the rocks you could still see the drag marks on the rocks where the bug had dragged going in

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
toke is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.