Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-19-2005, 06:26 PM   #46
04rubicon

a shed moose antler, inline diesel engine, milk delivery truck with a 4 digit phone number (from the 20s i think), abandoned mine, abandoned boat, shotgun shells and rife casings, stuck ram 1500, abandoned teepe, snowplow blade... that's all i can think of right now.

Parrothead Jeeper #3
Yellow Jeep Club Member #649
04rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 07:13 PM   #47
shmoken875
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was wheelin one afternoon and came upon two of the wierdest things. Me and a buddy were drivin down some trails when outta nowhere an oil pipline/facility popped up. It was wierd, it had those massive oil tanks that hold like millions upon millions of gallons, and there was a massive pipeline, I asked everyone I knew if they knew it exsisted, and nobody did, it was just soooo out of place (I live in a small town) hidden back in the woods no signs or anything, just barbedwire and guards in white trucks.

Then the same day, we came out into an opening and I slammed on the brakes because in front of me was some kinda animal sacrifice area. There were bones EVERYWHERE from all sized animals, a fire pit with bones in it, a decomposing deer carcass hung by its neck from a tree, and what looked like it had been a cow with a noose around its neck to.
www.sc4wda.org.vt.edu
My 44 Build:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-wagoneer-44-build-start-finish-466573/
shmoken875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #48
KINGxJOHN

we were wheeling one day in the woods and came across a dirtbike. it was cold so it hadnt been on in a while but we knew it had to belong to someone. nevertheless we moved it off the trail so we could stop back by on the way out and see if anyone claimed it yet. well no more than a 1/4 mile farther down the trail we run into the owners of the thing and they are already lookin at us like they know we f'd with it. so they question us about it and we deny that we even saw it (dont know why). 5 min later we're surrounded by them and their buddies who had left to get gas for the dirt bike. needless to say they weren't happy. the worst part, one of them was a fellow jeeper. sad day for us..im sure we could have fought them and blah blah blah but we didn't wanna take it there. we were in the wrong and we knew it. so we just put our tails between our legs and left. lesson learned. dont touch other peoples' stuff on the trail!!!! DUH!!!

[B]35" TrXus M/T's
5.5" LA RK Kit
Tom Woods Custom CF DS/SYE
4.88's
Locked Front and Rear[/B]

More to come...
KINGxJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #49
Grady

When I lived on Guam, there is a place called the Tank Farm where, during WW2, U.S. tanks were crossing the island flanking the Japs and most got stuck in the mud during a storm. Later, after the war, these tanks were used as target practise for the Navy and Air Force. Most of the time you can't tell what they are any more with rust and bomb damage but it's still cool. The picture under my name is close to that spot.

On another note, there is a cliff on Guam where years ago they would push all the old military equiptment off of into the ocean. It's an awesome dive spot now. Acres of underwater military junk.

What doesn't kill you...
just hurts like hell.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #3
USN JEEP HULL #11
'02 TJ
'04 Grand Cherokee
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 09:03 PM   #50
SpikeSpeigel

In the early '90's my dad and I would go wheeling to a hunting spot out near Barstow, CA. Every now and then we would see this flat object sitting on a thin stand about 30ft. in the air. Nothing around except a small building about a mile away in the same flat area. Well, turns out, that was the gov't testing facility for the B-2 Bomber. We saw it a couple years ago on the Discovery channel.

My friend also found a cave that we had heard rumors about for years. Took him about a year of scouring the mountains for it, but when he found it, he got coordinates. The thing is awesome. You have to crawl in, bring a jacket 'cause it drops about 20* inside. You can climb around in the main cavern for about an hour. There are about 5 tunnels off of the main cavern and each one goes to another cavern and then drops down beyond the light of a flashlight. All sorts of albino creatures in there.

I've also found many old mines out in the desert with some cool old lanterns and such in them. Very dangerous, but I've gone climbing through them. Amazing that people used to work in those things.
[SIZE=1]RE 5.5" front coils, TNT Customs Y-link radius arm kit, S-10 rear leaves, RE .75" shackles, ORO u-turn steering, SYE/CV driveshaft, YJ brake lines, 33" BFG MT's, K&N drop-in, Flowmaster 40 series, Tow hooks, Trimmed fenders, M.O.R.E. motor mounts, TNT Customs frame stiffeners, RE HD trackbar/mount, Autometer Trans temp gauge w/ pillar pod
[/SIZE]
"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken!!"
[CENTER]-Tyler Durden[/CENTER]
SpikeSpeigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #51
Moose_God
1994 XJ Cherokee 

This thread reminds me of the urban exploration kind of stuff. Or rural exploration, as the case may be. This stuff sounds like fun:http://www.uer.ca/forum_showcats.asp?fid=1
94 Cherokee Sport 4wd (converted from 2wd), AW4, NP231 w/SYE, 6" bastard lift, RC drop brackets, IRO trackbar, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs, HDoffroad subframe connectors, prerunner front bumper, homebrew rear bumper, flowmaster 40, 96 booster swap., upgraded headlight harness, 4.56 gears (finally!!!)
Moose_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 10:18 PM   #52
avsfan

Not a wheeling story but it is a strange mountain biking story. I was in mainland Japan, Iwakuni to be exact. A friend and I were out mountain biking, we hadn't seen and other people for couple hours or so. We where coming down this hill and around the corner we run into this long haired American guy that is dringing a bud heavy and digging a hole with a small bobcat like thing. We didn't stop to ask questions fearing we might also end up at the bottum of the hole.
avsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #53
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

We once found what looked like the remains of a rocket or missile or something, was a pipe with fins on it

Also seen downed fighter jets...

Have come accross many shooting ranges or military bases and so on, that's nothing unusual...

Accidentally came accross a police base while night wheeling that we didn't know was there... We'd packed the Night Vision Goggles and killed the lights and made an exit-stage-left in pitch black, stopping occasionally to laugh and how the guards could hear us but we could plainly see they couldn't see us
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #54
Sugarfuzz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It was probably a septic tank from an old RV
Sugarfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #55
04rubicon

bump
anyone have have anything to add?

Parrothead Jeeper #3
Yellow Jeep Club Member #649
04rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #56
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

found these - not sure what they are.

and found out what happened to Charlie Brown...
Unread 01-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #57
dynamite44

found this in cresson PA, no idea how in the hell it got back as far as it did. probably a hunter's vehicle. it had live tags and inspection on it.

because of the metal covering up where the doors should be, it was probably an old demolition derby car (cambria county has demo derbies a few times a year) that someone took up there and set on fire, flipped, and such.

found it in gallitzin, PA. this was waaaay back in the woods, easily a mile from the nearest dirt road. my friend adrian had fun dragging it into a pond. the whole area used to be a strip mine, so once you got onto the mountaintop, it was almost like hard packed gravel.
went back there a few months later, it was turned over about 100 yards from where we left it.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #58
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I found a small beached whale once beach wheeling in the middle of winter, looked like it had been dead for a few weeks.

Riding my bike through the woods once me and my old friend found the body of a man who took his own life, that was back when I was 13 or so. Freaked me out pretty good for a day.
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #59
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've stumbled across pot gardens on foot. I wheel on the Samoa (CA) dunes when ever I'm there. The dunes have old coastal defense bunkers on them. I've always wanted to break into them to see if there is anything left in them. I do a lot of back-packing. One of the lakes in the Trinity Alps has a wrecked B-17 near it.
Unread 01-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #60
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
I do a lot of back-packing. One of the lakes in the Trinity Alps has a wrecked B-17 near it.
That is plain bad ***! I would have gotten some pics of that, makes for good story tellings, lol.

To add to some of the other crap ive found, I came across a shelter that consisted of some wood and a tent.. pretty sure it was still occupied. I recently found an oil pan, couldnt tell what kind engine it was from though.. About a year ago there was a rash of blown up/burned mopeds, not too sure on that one... found a newish looking alternator also, abandoned cars.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.