Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

2M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  PitStop 
#1 · (Edited)
I was out in the woods in northern Cali the other day and came across a huge USAF radar facility. This is nowhere near any military bases.

----Update 6-10-06, found this info about it on the interweb: http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/an-fps-118.htm /Update----

A friend of mine said he once found what he believes is an old missle silo inside a chain link and barbed wire fence out in the woods, also in northern Cali, but he couldn't remember how to get back to it to show it to me.

What strange things have you found?

#999 ·
Great thread.. spent three nights readin it..:thumbsup:
1)I have found a crude pot farm that has not been used for some time because cops got them about 3 years ago. The tent where they were staying was still up in the hills as was all their clothes and pots and pans. What was interesting is that they planted in a canyon where there is natural springs coming out of the hills there and they hooked up a drip syestem through the springs (all the drip pipe was still there). It was all a good 5 miles from paved road in a dense forested area.
2)Down in Big Sur backroads there is old mines I have started to explore with my uncle. Pretty cool stuff. Used to be the Los Burros Mining district right next to the ocean. Mines go back a good mile into the mountains with shafts everwhere. Bunch of old shacks that people live in are on the dirt roads up there about 10 miles from paved road and 30 from the nearest town. Some old 1950s cars are on the cliff side from falling the 300 ft drop from the road.
Next time im back there i will post some pics...
Keep the stories comming...:2thumbsup:

#1,004 ·
Saw a bear one night at 3am. I was driving back to camp. Scared the crap out of me, and the bear. I slept in the jeep that night. Not very exciting, i know.

#1,005 ·
This is a really cool thread!

I've found a few things out in the woods wheeling... nothing as crazy as some of these stories though! I found a couch once: http://fc12.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/063/0/4/Couch__by_Tweakster.jpg
Another time my boyfriend and I were checking out some trails out by his house. About a mile and a half into the woods, the trail got really narrow, and we came upon an old camper that had plants growing up around it, so we figured it was abandoned.. until this scruffy old man peeks his head out the door. It was kind of funny, until he stepped out with a shotgun in his hands, then I promptly found a turn around spot and high tailed it out of there! Aside from that, we've found lots of old abandoned shacks, remnants of vehicles, and weird bonfire spots.

The worst one I've heard around here though was just recently. A little over a month ago, my friend was out in the woods in his truck with some buddies and they found a Chevy parked off to the side of the trail, when they drove by there was a guy slumped over inside. They said they didn't get a closer look because they didn't want to see anything... anyway they called the local police and it turns out the kid had been reported missing the day before by his mother. He drove off into the woods and shot himself... I didn't know if it was true or not (the guy has been known to tell stories) but I saw the story on the news the next day... I thought that was pretty crazy. I enjoy finding things out in the woods, but that's one thing I hope I never come across.

#1,006 ·
In Southern California in 2 spots one called jack rabbit trail. went back there on dirt bikes and was arrested by men in black. turn out there's an Air force Research and development Facility, I guess the place in patrolled by helicopters and there's cameras which we both seen but made jokes of.

Another place is in Riverside, CA March Airforce is a old SAC (Strategic Air Command base) Well there was a Huge Massive Door about 80 to 100 feet. Reminds me of the last terminator when they went in the fall out shelter

sort of like in the bottom of the pic here but these were the little door on the huge doors.

#1,007 · (Edited)
when i was a kid me and my brother would walk around the woods behinds our grandparents and once we found a old 50s Ford car that was stripped and a old faded orange hippie hauler minis the tires and doors.
Another time Was with my friend in his old stock XJ on state land and we parked on top of the biggest hill we could find and went for a walk to try and find a party spot our parents had told us they had used when they were our age, so we walk for about 30 min and come to a clearing with really really old graves, about a good 12 or so, they only had small eches in them with no names or dates we could make out.

#1,012 ·
my father in law was working for the TVA and found about 5000 pot plants, he turned right around and got the hell out

he decided not to report it because as most people know Kentucky pot is naturally the best pot in the world (not counting the scientific stuff grown under lights, just natural homerown) and people here take thier pot very seriously. its not uncommon to have insane boobie traps set up around thier crops

but he was worried that they may have had security cameras (it happens) or maybe some one was out there working on thier plants and may have seen him. so if he reported it thier was a chance that they would recognise him (small town everyone knows everyone)

so he just hightailed it and kept his mouth shut

#1,014 ·
i found a boat.

very weird to find a boat at the top of a mountain. :p
ha no doubt.
last guy i heard of leaving one there was named Noah. :laugh:

#1,016 ·
FINALLY FINSISHED with this thread. best thread i have ever been on. and i have been on alot of forum websites. i just got a jeep so i am new to this site. great find. anyway i guess i got a few stories. not while jeeping, but while being a stupid teenager.

Well me and my friend decided to go outside at 3 in the morning with our air-soft guns and run around like retards. anyway, behind his house is a huge field, and past that a pond and some dirtbike trails (i rode out there once or twice, kinda creepy at night, theres the usual trash and stuff out there couples mattresses with some stains on them.... anyway) me and my friend are outside at 2 in the morning, and we decide to go to the park, which is really close to his house. the park backs up against the big field/land area. anyway we go to the park and a white van pulls into the park. Since we wanted to be cool, we decked ourselves out in black. anyway a guy comes out of the van with a little girl. he is holding a flashlight and a piece of paper. we nearly **** our pants. so we lay down in the grass. its dark and we are watching this guy walk toward us with this little 4 year old girl. (right now i feel like a navy seal because we are lying in the shadows of a few trees) and the older guy late 40's and little girl walk by and the little girl says "why are there big bumps in the ground" referring to us. and the guy said "idk?" and kinda jerked her to keep moving. and we lay there and they go off into the big field. so we are sitting their scared ****less and decided to get my friends dad dave. so we go and get dave (aka ex-marine) he goes and gets his .357 magnum and his mag light and we are off into the field. We check the park, the van is gone. and we walked through the field into the woods and dont hear or see anything back there. We searched for at least 2 hours trying to find these 2 people. Thought about calling the Sheriffs Depart. but didnt want to make a big deal about it because behind the field are more suburbs. So we thought maybe they were walking home at 2? in the morning???? idk that was about the creepiest thing that i have seen. besides some old trucks and schoolbuses and minning gear while dirtbiking. Mainly trails of Morman Imagrant Road. so thats my story so far. gna go wheeling here in a few weeks, maybe ill find something

#1,019 ·
FINALLY FINSISHED with this thread. best thread i have ever been on. and i have been on alot of forum websites. i just got a jeep so i am new to this site. great find. anyway i guess i got a few stories. not while jeeping, but while being a stupid teenager.

Well me and my friend decided to go outside at 3 in the morning with our air-soft guns and run around like retards. anyway, behind his house is a huge field, and past that a pond and some dirtbike trails (i rode out there once or twice, kinda creepy at night, theres the usual trash and stuff out there couples mattresses with some stains on them.... anyway) me and my friend are outside at 2 in the morning, and we decide to go to the park, which is really close to his house. the park backs up against the big field/land area. anyway we go to the park and a white van pulls into the park. Since we wanted to be cool, we decked ourselves out in black. anyway a guy comes out of the van with a little girl. he is holding a flashlight and a piece of paper. we nearly **** our pants. so we lay down in the grass. its dark and we are watching this guy walk toward us with this little 4 year old girl. (right now i feel like a navy seal because we are lying in the shadows of a few trees) and the older guy late 40's and little girl walk by and the little girl says "why are there big bumps in the ground" referring to us. and the guy said "idk?" and kinda jerked her to keep moving. and we lay there and they go off into the big field. so we are sitting their scared ****less and decided to get my friends dad dave. so we go and get dave (aka ex-marine) he goes and gets his .357 magnum and his mag light and we are off into the field. We check the park, the van is gone. and we walked through the field into the woods and dont hear or see anything back there. We searched for at least 2 hours trying to find these 2 people. Thought about calling the Sheriffs Depart. but didnt want to make a big deal about it because behind the field are more suburbs. So we thought maybe they were walking home at 2? in the morning???? idk that was about the creepiest thing that i have seen. besides some old trucks and schoolbuses and minning gear while dirtbiking. Mainly trails of Morman Imagrant Road. so thats my story so far. gna go wheeling here in a few weeks, maybe ill find something
wow thats disturbing and creepy:eek:

#1,017 ·
saw the remains of a bigscreen TV last night when I went on a desert trail to test my new lights. also on one of the local trails we found and FJ roofrack, and oilslick, and half of an FJ rim. also found the remains of a dirtbike that had been stolen just chilling in a cave.

#1,018 ·
i found a totalled tahoe in the snow with 2 10" rockford fosgate punches in a black and red rockford fosgate box and a kenwood amp. My friend totalled her jeep and her insurance company wouldn't let her take her subs out so they got crushed. I figured I just saved the subs and the amp to give them a better life.

#1,020 ·
This isn't a wheeling story, but kinda funny. I was cleanging the ZJ out today, and removed the spare tire to clean around it good. Behind that rtire, is a little removable panel I didn't know about, it's factory though. But inside it lay some insulation pads, a sealed pack of cigarettes, and insinde a big wrigleys gum tin lay a weed pipe and a ton of condoms...ultra thins and magnums that expired in '06. I bought the Jeep Quite a while back, kinda interesting huh?

#1,023 ·
Lets see.......

I found a VW hippie type van(while hiking). That wasn't really interesting though. I was riding my quad up a mountain near my house (beasack mountain in middlefield, CT if anyone knows where that is). I found a camp site with 3-4 dirt bikes around it. So I booked it outta there and parked/shut off my quad. They came riding out a couple minutes after probably looking for me(I was on private property). On that same mountain there was supposedly a "mountain man" that lived up there. I have seen him walking past my house a couple times, drunk and pi**ing in public. Anyways, I think I have seen a couple camp sites of his up the mountain. Whether it be a tent and a sleeping bag, or a fortress made out of small trees lol.

Again, not that crazy. But I thought I would share.

#1,024 ·
its good enough. at least your keeping this thread alive!

#1,030 ·
Fresh plane crash near Mohave Road

I was on a Mohave Road trip with my jeep club in '01 (westward) when we found a plane crashed just a few hundred yards off the trail in the Razor Road sandy section. It was odd seeing a plan rudder sticking up from the dunes. We drove over and were surprised to see that the wreck was so recent. We could tell because there was still fresh hanging off the gauge cutouts, and no caution tape, not organization to the wreck, and no tire tracks right up to the site. So, we became concerned that the pilot lived, crawled out of the plane and was crawling around the desert injured. We set up a quick perimete search while one of us called the local sheriff on the ham radio and gave GPS location. It turns out that the crach had happened just 12 hours earlier. The pilot died, and was removed from the plane by the sheriff. They said they figured no one could every get out to such a remote area so they didn't bother cleaning it up or taping the area off. The next morning, the whole story was in the paper. Sad. The pilot's son was out there in a vehicle as backup and watched his dad plummet to the ground and die.

#1,031 ·
Marine attack helo landed facing my tent!!

I was just waking up in my tent when I heard the thump thump of a Marine helicopter get closer and louder. I popped my head out to see the land only 100 feet from my tent, with guns facing me!!! The rotor wash was blowing over me and buffetting the tent. Even though I was on public land, it was a little scary being a sitting duck. They were close enough that I could see their faces looking right at me. They sat there for 2-3 minutes, waved, then took off again (to my relief). I was only 4-5 miles from Camp Pendleton and they love to use the Santa Ana mountains for practice. I'm glad I wasn't accidentally on Pendleton soil...

#1,034 ·
I was just waking up in my tent when I heard the thump thump of a Marine helicopter get closer and louder. I popped my head out to see the land only 100 feet from my tent, with guns facing me!!! The rotor wash was blowing over me and buffetting the tent. Even though I was on public land, it was a little scary being a sitting duck. They were close enough that I could see their faces looking right at me. They sat there for 2-3 minutes, waved, then took off again (to my relief). I was only 4-5 miles from Camp Pendleton and they love to use the Santa Ana mountains for practice. I'm glad I wasn't accidentally on Pendleton soil...
They do that here too, and Im miles from any base. They fly in, do a mock deployment in a field or parking lot, pack up and leave again.

They recently did it at a local cabelas (HUGE parking lot) and my friend was giddy as a school girl. They called him (he is head of security there....think Paul Blart) and asked if they could do a drop if they would let him board and look around the helicopter.

#1,032 · (Edited)
A couple of guys from the base I was stationed at (don't want to give the particular name) went out to the swamp on the outskirts of the base to do some wheeling last summer. Having a great time as we worked our way deeper into the swamp (about 10 jeeps) after getting about 5 miles deep in the swamp we came across a mock Iraqi village. We figured that is where the seals were being trained and that it was our time to leave. Funny thing is the Muslim crescent moon on top of the mosque was shot all to pieces. LOL

**EDIT**

We were wheeling through some woods and found an old school wooden boat like from the early 1900s, did some research and found out that in the 1930s there had been a major flood in the area. A lot of people were killed, we are sure that the old boat was used as someones escape or maybe even a search and rescue boat. It is still there somewhere under some mud now. I should probably go get some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.