Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #451
bigsky89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

this si true the most 'pollution' these huge fish encounter is thermal pollution, they live in really hot water increasing their life expectancy and allowing them to live at full speed and grow consistently all year instead of going into 'slow motion' as we call it during winter. the water in our dam doesnt get like 'hot' or anything but it wont freeze in winter and its actually a really nice place to go swimming. the water is totally pure in fact the power plant boilers purify the water to an extreme its just that it rolls out of the lagoons at a realtively warm temperature. our plant has a new ash management system so that the water in boudary dam doesnt turn acidic.

lo tho i wheel through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no obsticle, for my jeep is with me. thy armour and tires, they comfort me. you lead me to lay down rubber on big rocks, and drive you through deep waters.
you prepare a place for me at the end of tough trails, and you anoint my driveway with oil. surely your awesomeness and the smell of burning motor oil will follow me all of the days of my life, and i will dwell in the house of the jeep forever. amen.
bigsky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #452
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also in New Mexico in the Carlsbad Caverns they have a bottomless pit. That thing was crazy.. they had some huge spot lights shinning down in it, and you couldnt see ANYTHING. They were huge bright lights too.. just cave walls and an empty void.[/QUOTE]

you can actually see the bottom now, it took the fun out of it.
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #453
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
Why? They don't dump anything in the water at hydro-power plants. The two "water" stories are two different situations. The big fish below dams are not exposed to anything unusual. The bright blue lake in the pics is something different that I have no experience with. Somebody said ash is dumped in it making it acidic which would be a reasonable explanation. But remember, an orange is acidic. Just because most organisms can't live in it, doesn't mean you'll die from touching it.

Oh, and P.S. That middle pic of the giant blue catfish is a fake. It's one of those replica things you see hanging in tackle shops sometimes. That fish would easily weigh 200lbs, almost doubling the world record. The top pic of the flathead catfish might also be a fake, but it does look real. That would be a very very big one though. And the gar is real. I've actually seen that photo before. A friend of mine's nephew shot the louisiana state record gar (at the time anyway. not sure if it's still standing) while bowfishing. It was over 200lbs and 7' long. That MAY actually be it.
The pictures of the catfish are real, but they aren't from the U.S. I think both were caught in Thailand.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2006, 06:53 PM   #454
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb76
The pictures of the catfish are real, but they aren't from the U.S. I think both were caught in Thailand.
I stand corrected. I looked it up and you are right. From the pic, that one looked like it was already mounted or something because it's all stiff. Maybe it was stuffed when then took the pic. I also thought it was a blue cat, but it's apparently some sort of Thai "Mekong?" catfish. It's a giant whatever it is. It was 646lbs or something like that. Wow. But still, the world record for catfish that live in the US is just over 100lbs --> can't swallow you.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 06:20 AM   #455
j.Russ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm stationed in Germany currently. Outside of a village a few miles from where I live we were walking som old trails and found an abandoned military bunker from the WW era. When new construction project happen it's not uncommon to find old WW bombs.
j.Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #456
bigsky89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

lmao nice avatar
lo tho i wheel through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no obsticle, for my jeep is with me. thy armour and tires, they comfort me. you lead me to lay down rubber on big rocks, and drive you through deep waters.
you prepare a place for me at the end of tough trails, and you anoint my driveway with oil. surely your awesomeness and the smell of burning motor oil will follow me all of the days of my life, and i will dwell in the house of the jeep forever. amen.
bigsky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #457
j.Russ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It fits perfectly
j.Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2006, 10:38 PM   #458
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Back in the 1990's my uncle and I were breaking in his new F-350, and found a burning coal seam, near Elkford B.C. . The ground is kind of soft, and its like looking straight into hell - white hot and burning. It was started by a lightning strike.

Not a jeeping story, but I found an abandoned hospital in Downey, Ca and took some pictures. Two weeks later, I found out the Marines were using it for search training. A couple of them were in a basement and opened an old ice box, to find it full of severed limbs and brain matter. It seems this was left over from when the room was a morgue. It made the L.A. Times. Fairly creepy.

This thread rocks.

Last edited by MJDriver; 10-18-2006 at 07:50 AM..
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 07:25 AM   #459
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Dude that is gross. It would be cool to see some of those pictures.
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #460
jocww

I could go on living without seeing brain matter

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2006, 03:53 AM   #461
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

man you guys kep me up all damn night and now i wann say screw working on my womans car and go play in some random woods keep the awsome stories commin
Unread 10-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #462
frumpy

Was out on a road trip down to the east cost with my jeep (me and my little brother) and my older brothers jeep (him and my dad) and every once and a while we would wonder off the roads down by the ocean or through forests and whatnot. Not really any hard trails but needed a 4x4 to get through them. Came through a forest trail and opened up right on the ocean and there was a little old abandined cabin. Had been kinda trashed a bit it looked like but everything was still in there, couches beds fridge stove etc.

and this was just to the right of the black TJ

was the middle of nowhere dirt road that lead into a field
Unread 10-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #463
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This happened a few months back...

Went out wheeling on a wildlife preserve with a buddy of mine and we found some trails that had been newly forged, so we decided to check them out. Well, we end up making a big circle, which was kind of a let down.

I glanced off to my side and noticed another trail leading away from all of this, but it had a gate, so that kind of made me not want to go. There was also an oak tree that basically had branches to the ground (scratched the crap out of my Jeep) that was in the way also.

However, I wanted to go and since the gate was open, I figured the hell with it. So we get back there, and you can go straight, which is like an endless looking grass road (boo), or you can hang a right which is a long and curvy dirt road (yay). So we hang a right.

Shortly after going back there, I just got this eerie feeling like we didnt belong back there, the woods were torn up in a wierd way... something about it was kinda off.

So we kind of sat there for a minute contemplating weather or not to go straight, or turn around and go back, when all of a sudden I hear a framiliar whooshing sound... chopper. I look up and out of nowhere this chopper comes blazing above the trees (not really low to the ground, but low enough), flies over... no biggy I think.

Well, the noise didnt go way, and we look up again and he was really throwing that thing around and heading back our way in a hurry, he had definatly taken notice of us.

I figured that was a pretty good sign to leave right then and there. Im not really sure if they were looking for somebody (this was the kind of place that you go to do something bad), or if we werent suppose to be back there or what.

It was scary, cause you cant really run from the chopper... luckily we took off and he didnt fallow.

Another fun one is being left alone in your stuck Jeep in the middle of nowhere, where youve personally seen some wierd stuff at the same spot. I had gotten stuck with some freinds, who had also gotten stuck. I didnt want to leave my Jeep back there by itself, cause it was in plain veiw of the road, as their truck was sunk in a water hole waaaay back in the trail. After they were out of site, I wish I had walked with them. I had to get out to take a leak twice, and each time I did I kept getting freaked out about seeing some psycho walking towards me, or some bigass animal tearing me up. Woop de doo, that was a dumb one on my part, but hey im still here...
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #464
Sh4dowRac3r
1999 XJ Cherokee 

me and my friends were in the pinelands , nj and we came across a gate that had a bunch of signs on it sayin"laser guided missle testing range, keep out"
needless to say, we turned aroung and went elsewhere. lol

2001 Flame Red Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5Spd
Red Jeep Club Member 531
Sh4dowRac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #465
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4dowRac3r
me and my friends were in the pinelands , nj and we came across a gate that had a bunch of signs on it sayin"laser guided missle testing range, keep out"
needless to say, we turned aroung and went elsewhere. lol

Yeah we have old bombing ranges around here. It seems like every time they develope new subdivision they are always finding live rounds that havnt been detonated yet.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.