Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 222 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #3316
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

Bump...

I was going to go wheeling but all i found was a rusted out gmc boom truck from the 70's and that in St. Joseph Mo for some reason waterworks rd is blocked off. If anyone from around here can tell me why its been closed, I'd love yo know.

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #3317
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchconley
BUMP THIS! Omg one of the best adventure stores I have read, so jealous and it makes it that much better because everything is within a few hours driving time from me. Strongly recommend reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thread! Thanks for the link.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #3318
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
BUMP THIS! Omg one of the best adventure stores I have read, so jealous and it makes it that much better because everything is within a few hours driving time from me. Strongly recommend reading this thread.
Awesome thread! Thanks for the link.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with the quote. that is awesome.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #3319
MXLord327

Close to 40 years ago, I was probably 7 or 8, I was fishing in a canoe with my Dad in a pond near their house. It is a shallow, warm pond with thick lily pads around most of the edge. I looked toward shore, and one of our neighbor's dogs was walking out on the pond on top of the lily pads! It was a really skinny bird dog, and the pads were really thick, but I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Last edited by MXLord327; 08-21-2013 at 01:14 PM..
MXLord327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #3320
MXLord327

Here's a similar thread.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age1737051/pg1
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3321
jchou
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great link

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLord327 View Post
jchou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #3322
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is not find something unusual, however while camping just recently in the Michigan UP on a Jeep trip, we were at a quiet camp site in a wooded area. Sometime in the night, I woke up in an instant as I heard foot steps right outside my tent. The foot steps were not of an animal, at least of the four-legged kind. When I camp, I have started to setup some inexpensive motion detection lights around my tent. I first immediately questioned myself, “Did I really hear those foot steps or dream them?” But I noticed that one of the lights that I setup was on (as the top of the tent had light on it, otherwise it was super dark).

So I jumped right out of my sleeping bag, unzipped the tent, and got out as fast as I could. No one was around of course. There were not walking trails around me, and no reason to pass through my camp site. My wife just assumed I had gotten up to pee, and also got up. I didn’t tell her why I really got out of the tent.

That’s one of the weird things about tent camping is what’s out there in the middle of the night while you sleep? That’s the first time I’ve had that happen.

A link to the lights if you're interested.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #3323
nosheep
1983 CJ7 

^--like the idea.
nosheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #3324
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

4 cheap trail cams. Position them so they can see each other as well as your camp site. That way you theoretically have all angles covered. And if someone tampers with a camera the other(s) will catch it.

What kinda person sneaking around would think to look for multiple IR cams watching a camp site.

Throw in the motion lights and you have security and entertainment.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #3325
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
This is not find something unusual, however while camping just recently in the Michigan UP on a Jeep trip, we were at a quiet camp site in a wooded area. Sometime in the night, I woke up in an instant as I heard foot steps right outside my tent. The foot steps were not of an animal, at least of the four-legged kind. When I camp, I have started to setup some inexpensive motion detection lights around my tent. I first immediately questioned myself, “Did I really hear those foot steps or dream them?” But I noticed that one of the lights that I setup was on (as the top of the tent had light on it, otherwise it was super dark).

So I jumped right out of my sleeping bag, unzipped the tent, and got out as fast as I could. No one was around of course. There were not walking trails around me, and no reason to pass through my camp site. My wife just assumed I had gotten up to pee, and also got up. I didn’t tell her why I really got out of the tent.

That’s one of the weird things about tent camping is what’s out there in the middle of the night while you sleep? That’s the first time I’ve had that happen.

A link to the lights if you're interested.

Aw, jeez. I wish I hadn't read that. I'm going up there soon.

I'm always paranoid about noises I hear when camping up north or western US. But I'm more worried about bears than yeti.

I thought you stayed in a cabin?
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #3326
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Aw, jeez. I wish I hadn't read that. I'm going up there soon.

I'm always paranoid about noises I hear when camping up north or western US. But I'm more worried about bears than yeti.

I thought you stayed in a cabin?
We camped at two camp sites, along with the cabin on Drummond Island at the end of the trip. It was the second camp site where the visiter stopped by. It was just weird to wake up to heavy foot steps in the dirt outside the tent, and wonder if I was dreaming it? I probably would have written it off if it wasn't for the light that was on. Like I said it was dark and quiet that night.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #3327
MXLord327

I think I might have been the weirdo once... I was bird hunting with my brother in law in his Jeep in Northern Maine, we were cruising down a dirt road going from one hunting spot to another, and we saw a guy and girl off the side of the road with a shovel digging in the dirt. My BIL says "Hey, that's my buddy Jim," he flies up to them, skidding sideways to a stop, jumps out and yells "Hey, who you burying?" They looked at us in disbelief and I'm sure they heard banjos playing - turns out it wasn't his buddy, just two people trying to clear out the end of a driveway into their woodlot. The look on their faces was priceless!
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #3328
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the driveway motion sensor for my camping.
I camp in a motor home so if anyone was messing with my Jeep I would sleep right through it.
I set the PIR sensor pointing at my Jeep, then the receiver is in the motor home. (wireless setup)
You can just set the sensor in your back seat and put the receiver in your house/apartment etc... and if someone breaks in you will know.
I think it was $12 at Harbor Freight.
You never know when somebody is gunna' touch your junk.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3329
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I bought the driveway motion sensor for my camping.
I camp in a motor home so if anyone was messing with my Jeep I would sleep right through it.
I set the PIR sensor pointing at my Jeep, then the receiver is in the motor home. (wireless setup)
You can just set the sensor in your back seat and put the receiver in your house/apartment etc... and if someone breaks in you will know.
I think it was $12 at Harbor Freight.
You never know when somebody is gunna' touch your junk.
I got a idea just throw the just throw them on the doors so if either is open it'll break the circuit
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #3330
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
I got a idea just throw the just throw them on the doors so if either is open it'll break the circuit
It's a PIR (passive infrared) motion detector. Detects body heat, well, the light that heat generates.Has a 40X40 foot viewing area (pie shaped). Compares background temps/light to body heat and triggers sensor. Same way a game camera works, but it sends a radio signal to a wireless receiver up to 160 feet away. Too much detail huh? lol
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.