Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 222 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3316 of 3502 Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
4x4andmetal
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Savannah
Posts: 92
Bump...

I was going to go wheeling but all i found was a rusted out gmc boom truck from the 70's and that in St. Joseph Mo for some reason waterworks rd is blocked off. If anyone from around here can tell me why its been closed, I'd love yo know.


1996 4.0 Laredo. Weekend warrior
1999 Pontiac Grand prix GTP. Daily driver
1995 318 laredo. Gone
4x4andmetal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3317 of 3502 Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 PM
98TJcomeonuh
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ringgold
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchconley
BUMP THIS! Omg one of the best adventure stores I have read, so jealous and it makes it that much better because everything is within a few hours driving time from me. Strongly recommend reading this thread.[/QUOTE]

Awesome thread! Thanks for the link.
98TJcomeonuh is offline  
post #3318 of 3502 Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM
CGlaser
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Columbus
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
BUMP THIS! Omg one of the best adventure stores I have read, so jealous and it makes it that much better because everything is within a few hours driving time from me. Strongly recommend reading this thread.
Awesome thread! Thanks for the link.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with the quote. that is awesome.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98-zj-slow-build-1484672/
CGlaser is offline  
post #3319 of 3502 Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM
MXLord327
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Berwick
Posts: 13
Close to 40 years ago, I was probably 7 or 8, I was fishing in a canoe with my Dad in a pond near their house. It is a shallow, warm pond with thick lily pads around most of the edge. I looked toward shore, and one of our neighbor's dogs was walking out on the pond on top of the lily pads! It was a really skinny bird dog, and the pads were really thick, but I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Last edited by MXLord327; 08-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
MXLord327 is offline  
post #3320 of 3502 Old 09-06-2013, 12:40 PM
MXLord327
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Berwick
Posts: 13
MXLord327 is offline  
post #3321 of 3502 Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM
jchou
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Redwood City
Posts: 96
Great link

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXLord327 View Post
jchou is offline  
post #3322 of 3502 Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,034
This is not find something unusual, however while camping just recently in the Michigan UP on a Jeep trip, we were at a quiet camp site in a wooded area. Sometime in the night, I woke up in an instant as I heard foot steps right outside my tent. The foot steps were not of an animal, at least of the four-legged kind. When I camp, I have started to setup some inexpensive motion detection lights around my tent. I first immediately questioned myself, “Did I really hear those foot steps or dream them?” But I noticed that one of the lights that I setup was on (as the top of the tent had light on it, otherwise it was super dark).

So I jumped right out of my sleeping bag, unzipped the tent, and got out as fast as I could. No one was around of course. There were not walking trails around me, and no reason to pass through my camp site. My wife just assumed I had gotten up to pee, and also got up. I didn’t tell her why I really got out of the tent.

That’s one of the weird things about tent camping is what’s out there in the middle of the night while you sleep? That’s the first time I’ve had that happen.

A link to the lights if you're interested.


Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer - Build

grogie is offline  
post #3323 of 3502 Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM
nosheep
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: alb
Posts: 170
^--like the idea.
nosheep is offline  
post #3324 of 3502 Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,500
Garage
4 cheap trail cams. Position them so they can see each other as well as your camp site. That way you theoretically have all angles covered. And if someone tampers with a camera the other(s) will catch it.

What kinda person sneaking around would think to look for multiple IR cams watching a camp site.

Throw in the motion lights and you have security and entertainment.
mike_dippert is offline  
post #3325 of 3502 Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM
bobjp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
This is not find something unusual, however while camping just recently in the Michigan UP on a Jeep trip, we were at a quiet camp site in a wooded area. Sometime in the night, I woke up in an instant as I heard foot steps right outside my tent. The foot steps were not of an animal, at least of the four-legged kind. When I camp, I have started to setup some inexpensive motion detection lights around my tent. I first immediately questioned myself, “Did I really hear those foot steps or dream them?” But I noticed that one of the lights that I setup was on (as the top of the tent had light on it, otherwise it was super dark).

So I jumped right out of my sleeping bag, unzipped the tent, and got out as fast as I could. No one was around of course. There were not walking trails around me, and no reason to pass through my camp site. My wife just assumed I had gotten up to pee, and also got up. I didn’t tell her why I really got out of the tent.

That’s one of the weird things about tent camping is what’s out there in the middle of the night while you sleep? That’s the first time I’ve had that happen.

A link to the lights if you're interested.

Aw, jeez. I wish I hadn't read that. I'm going up there soon.

I'm always paranoid about noises I hear when camping up north or western US. But I'm more worried about bears than yeti.

I thought you stayed in a cabin?

97 TJ sport.
bobjp is offline  
post #3326 of 3502 Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Aw, jeez. I wish I hadn't read that. I'm going up there soon.

I'm always paranoid about noises I hear when camping up north or western US. But I'm more worried about bears than yeti.

I thought you stayed in a cabin?
We camped at two camp sites, along with the cabin on Drummond Island at the end of the trip. It was the second camp site where the visiter stopped by. It was just weird to wake up to heavy foot steps in the dirt outside the tent, and wonder if I was dreaming it? I probably would have written it off if it wasn't for the light that was on. Like I said it was dark and quiet that night.


Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer - Build

grogie is offline  
post #3327 of 3502 Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM
MXLord327
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Berwick
Posts: 13
I think I might have been the weirdo once... I was bird hunting with my brother in law in his Jeep in Northern Maine, we were cruising down a dirt road going from one hunting spot to another, and we saw a guy and girl off the side of the road with a shovel digging in the dirt. My BIL says "Hey, that's my buddy Jim," he flies up to them, skidding sideways to a stop, jumps out and yells "Hey, who you burying?" They looked at us in disbelief and I'm sure they heard banjos playing - turns out it wasn't his buddy, just two people trying to clear out the end of a driveway into their woodlot. The look on their faces was priceless!
MXLord327 is offline  
post #3328 of 3502 Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler
 
RikRotorhead's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,981
I bought the driveway motion sensor for my camping.
I camp in a motor home so if anyone was messing with my Jeep I would sleep right through it.
I set the PIR sensor pointing at my Jeep, then the receiver is in the motor home. (wireless setup)
You can just set the sensor in your back seat and put the receiver in your house/apartment etc... and if someone breaks in you will know.
I think it was $12 at Harbor Freight.
You never know when somebody is gunna' touch your junk.

Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline  
post #3329 of 3502 Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 PM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I bought the driveway motion sensor for my camping.
I camp in a motor home so if anyone was messing with my Jeep I would sleep right through it.
I set the PIR sensor pointing at my Jeep, then the receiver is in the motor home. (wireless setup)
You can just set the sensor in your back seat and put the receiver in your house/apartment etc... and if someone breaks in you will know.
I think it was $12 at Harbor Freight.
You never know when somebody is gunna' touch your junk.
I got a idea just throw the just throw them on the doors so if either is open it'll break the circuit
xrunndonex is offline  
post #3330 of 3502 Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 PM
RikRotorhead
Web Wheeler
 
RikRotorhead's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
I got a idea just throw the just throw them on the doors so if either is open it'll break the circuit
It's a PIR (passive infrared) motion detector. Detects body heat, well, the light that heat generates.Has a 40X40 foot viewing area (pie shaped). Compares background temps/light to body heat and triggers sensor. Same way a game camera works, but it sends a radio signal to a wireless receiver up to 160 feet away. Too much detail huh? lol

Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
What do you "Carry" when wheeling in the middle of nowhere? jeepboy21 General Discussion 321 08-13-2013 11:37 AM
What constitutes "REAL Wheeling?" RnEmOvr General Discussion 76 05-22-2010 02:48 AM
Clearcut forest "wheeling" pix wyldejackyl General Discussion 13 04-21-2009 09:56 AM
Unusual while wheeling PICTURES THREAD jake7893 Jeep Stories 1 04-18-2007 10:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome