Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 219 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #3271
WolfgangGullich
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
No way! What a small world! If you've got any family that grew up here who'd be around 18-25 chances are pretty good I know them. What part of town did you grow up in? The mail truck & noose, Bronco, Studebaker, and most of the other junk cars I've seen were up in the woods off Mountain Road. One by one they're all starting to dissapear from scrappers, but I know of some wayy out in the woods that scrappers will probably never find. Off the top of my head there's also an old Dodge truck, used to be an old 40s/50s Packard, a 55 Chevy, and an old Ford (don't know what it is). Also used to be an old Crown Victoria near the Studebaker, but that's gone as well. I live/grew up on 149 so I've spent a lot of time in those woods hiking, biking and on ATVs and my jeep (which stays on the main trail).

Even cooler, the trail we used to take on ATV's (runs from Sawyer Rd up through to Mountain - now closed off) has a piece of family history. Not 100% sure this is exactly the story, it's been years. But I believe it goes, my dad had an uncle who was into logging back in the 50s, and he died of a heart attack on the job. It was somewhere in the vicinity of Mountain Road, that's all we knew. Everything was just left there when he died. My dad and I spent a lot of time on ATV's out there, and one day we came across his uncle's old log truck chassis, some old small equipment, and other random stuff! Most of the truck was gone (again, scrappers?) but the frame and front axle were still left. We dubbed that trail "the front end trail" - then found out that it connected to Mountain Rd and started using it all the time. Since then another timber company bought the land and it's now closed. Pretty cool that that's no more than a half a mile walk from my front door.

All these pics were on Class VI roads across southern NH.

Junk Subaru - New Boston (easy trail)
Free crate - Bradford (very difficult trail)
Tahoe - Henniker to Hillsboro (easy at that point, gets difficult further on)
Ford tractor thing - Loudon
Cemetary - Gilsum
Kangaroo - Stoddard (actually there was no trail here - it went through a nature conservancy and they blocked it off)
1st monument - Richmond
2nd monument - Hopkinton
Monkey & house - Washington
"Graffiti house" - Windsor (endless trails here of varying difficulty, definitely worth checking out)

If you want me to show you around some, let me know. You also might want to check out http://www.ExploringNH.com if you haven't already. I love exploring new places and coming across stuff like this. Many of the trails (Class VI Roads) in NH are closed until June 1st for mud season. Not all of them. So be careful where you go, or wait till summer.
I grew up on Sherwood Forest Rd off 77 (moved away to AL in '96 when I was 18)...so the other side of town. I've no fam in Weare anymore, but some in Goffstown. One of my best friends lived off River Rd and one day we were back in the woods (prolly right over the Goffstown line) and found a cache of old cars which included a 1940s fire truck, 2 early 70s Toronados, '56 Pontiac Safari and a couple other cars.

Unread 04-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #3272
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAJeepGirl View Post
Elohim City, Oklahoma. About ten years ago. I don't know how we wound up there, I don't know where all the men with guns came from, who they were, or how we got back out to the pavement, but suffice to say, ALL dirt roads in that portion of the state are off limits in my book. Never in my life have I ever been happier to be a person of no color and driving an American-made vehicle.

Yes I am aware that I quoted/responded to an old post... NWAJeepGirl didn't know where she was or what she was in the middle of and seeing it's possible ties to the OKC Bombing I felt it necessary to post.

Elohim City, Oklahoma:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim_City,_Oklahoma

Elohim City is a private community in Adair County, Oklahoma. It was founded in 1973 by Robert G. Millar, a Canadian immigrant and charismatic religious leader. Its 400 acres (1.6 km2) are frequented by Christian Identity followers.[1] The community gained national attention for its alleged ties to members of the Silent Brotherhood in the 1980s and with convicted Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh in the 1990s.[2][3]
Robert Millar died on May 28, 2001.[4] Since his death, his son John Millar has been the leader of Elohim City.[5]
Elohim is a Hebrew word for God(s).

Background

Millar emigrated from Kitchener, Ontario in the 1950s to Oklahoma City, where he established a church.[2] In the mid-1960s, Millar moved to Maryland, where he ran an evangelical camp near Ellicott City,[5] located in Howard County on Frederick Road about one mile (1.6 km) west of US Route 29, at the former location of St. Charles College, a minor Catholic seminary destroyed by fire in 1911.[6][Note 1]
In 1973, Millar returned to Oklahoma with around 18 followers, some of whom were related to him by birth or marriage, to found Elohim City.[5]
[edit]Beliefs

Millar taught his followers that the Great Tribulation was upon them and that "worse is to come" when "Asiatics" invade America. He believed that Jesus has been revealing himself for 2,000 years and that disasters would strike by 2006, at which time the "wicked will be removed" and Elohim City will enjoy an age of peace.[7]
[edit]Notable events

In 1986 a Canadian woman and her children sought refuge in the city, contravening a court order awarding custody of the children to her husband. Officers attempting to arrest the woman were met by a show of arms.[5]
By the mid-1990s, four members of the Aryan Republican Army (Michael William Brescia, Kevin McCarthy, Scott Stedeford, and Mark Thomas) were residents of Elohim City. Brescia was engaged to Millar's step-granddaughter and stayed almost two years.[5] Between 1994 and 1995 these four, together with other members of the ARA (known in the media as the Midwest Bank Robbers), were responsible for a series of 22 bank robberies totaling over $250,000 in the American Midwest, which they used to finance white supremacist causes. Millar denied knowledge of the robberies.[5]
The remains of former Elohim City guest Richard Snell were released to Elohim City residents following his April 19, 1995, execution in Arkansas. Snell taunted jailers that something drastic would happen on the day of his execution. The Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building was destroyed by explosives in the hours before he died. Earlier criminal proceedings had produced evidence that Snell and other affiliates had visited the Murrah building to examine it as a possible bombing target in 1983.[8] However, when Snell watched televised reports of the Oklahoma City bombing prior to his execution, he was appalled by what he saw.[8]
In 2008 an Adair County man, who had been previously evicted from Elohim City, was charged with threatening violence against several Elohim City residents.[9][10] He was acquitted in 2009 following a two-day jury trial in which he represented himself.[11]

Other notable residents

Other individuals who stayed at Elohim City and later appeared in national news include:
Carol Howe, BATF informant who worked undercover in Elohim City[12][13]
Chevie Kehoe, a self-proclaimed white supremacist and convicted murderer[5]
Dennis Mahon, a former imperial dragon in the Oklahoma Ku Klux Klan and an organizer for White Aryan Resistance[5]
Andreas Strassmeir, German immigrant, head of Elohim City security, phoned by Timothy McVeigh two weeks before the OKC bombing[5]
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #3273
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Yes I am aware that I quoted/responded to an old post... NWAJeepGirl didn't know where she was or what she was in the middle of and seeing it's possible ties to the OKC Bombing I felt it necessary to post.
About 10 years before her post date would be 6 years after the OKC bombing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #3274
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
About 10 years before her post date would be 6 years after the OKC bombing.
Right...and??
prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #3275
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Can everyone see all the pics on ZJMatt's post (3251)?? I can only see the 'Male White' monument pic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #3276
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes I can see all 13 pictures.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #3277
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Yes I can see all 13 pictures.
must be a work thing... I'll try from home or my tablet.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/yjjeepinmike
Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
fordtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #3278
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Went wheeling yesterday on some maintenance roads and it was getting dark so I turned around to head home, I was pulling over a ridge and I saw a old pickup with a guy kneeling in the bed, as I drove by I heard a girl scream and he had her pinned down. I stopped and my friend got out and asked wtf the guy was doing and he said mind your own business and my friend asked the girl if she was in trouble and needed help and she said really scared no leave and the guy stood up butt *** naked and said if we didnt leave it would be bad. I told him to let the girl go and he said **** off. My friend looked in his truck and he didnt have any weapons so I pulled my bat out and told him to let the girl go and he said she's my girlfriend and I said is that why you have to hold her down to f her. And he said she likes it and the girl said he wasn't raping her and I felt like a huge idiot because it honestly looked like he was raping her so I said sorry and we got in and left. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #3279
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That is one of those times you just wonder if she was just agreeing to avoid further issue or if it was really an act. I would almost think if it was a false rape, they should have been more nice until you left to go back to their play acting...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #3280
BadKarma1701
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good for you on stopping to help a person in possible trouble, Most people wont now days. Better find out they are just role playing than the real thing.

"I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood and I'm damned sure going out the same way!"

Sienna Jeep Owners Member #56
BadKarma1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #3281
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
That is one of those times you just wonder if she was just agreeing to avoid further issue or if it was really an act. I would almost think if it was a false rape, they should have been more nice until you left to go back to their play acting...
Yea at least I tried. I didn't want to hang around incase the guy did do something to me or my friend. I just continued wheeling. Haha

Unread 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #3282
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma1701
Good for you on stopping to help a person in possible trouble, Most people wont now days. Better find out they are just role playing than the real thing.
If I did find out that it was a real rape I would feel bad but hey, **** happens

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #3283
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Found this while wheeling the other day... I know what it is.. I want to see if anyone else knows what it is. It weight i'd say about 70lbs

Unread 05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #3284
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
Found this while wheeling the other day... I know what it is.. I want to see if anyone else knows what it is. It weight i'd say about 70lbs

Looks like a power pole insulator thing...
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #3285
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post

Looks like a power pole insulator thing...
Exactly what it is
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.