Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 218 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #3256
PaulBreg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt
Suprised at people who are surprised about finding old vehicles and foundations in the woods. The woods up here are littered with them. Oh, and watch out for wells, especially near the foundations.

The weirdest vehicle-related thing I've seen was when I was probably 10-12 years old, riding bikes in the woods with my best friend. We were riding down this trail and came across the chassis of an old mail truck. In the tree next to it there was a noose hanging. Also another time riding ATVs in the same woods we found a 70s Bronco with the n-word spraypainted all over it, fully in tact, right next to a half-stripped Studebaker Wagonaire. The Bronco is gone now but the Studebaker is still there.

As far as weird/cool things out wheeling...

another fine example of said junked cars...

Nobody has taken advantage of this offer yet...

This was a great story... brand new (at the time) Tahoe LTZ, backed off the side of a trail down into a 5ft ditch with 3ft of water at the bottom. My buddy and I came across this around 11pm. Assumed it was stolen...

We came back about an hour later and came across a guy extracting it. I guess what happened was the owner was trying to turn around and accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and backed off the edge.

My favorite old vehicular find... an old Ford converted into some type of tractor. Can't believe how solid it is, and the fact that so many parts are still there! I was actually able to get 2 gears on the transmission too!

Here is a very stange find. A cemetary that appears fairly well-kept on a trail in the middle of the woods. Along the trail is a tall stone wall, and I'm guessing that the opening goes to an underground area where they store the bodies when the ground is frozen, until they can dig the graves? Some of the "traditional" (ie. larger and easily accessible) cemetaries have similar vaults.

Apparently we have kangaroos in NH.

A cool historical marker out on a trail.

Another, very unusual historical marker. My thoughts: who really cares, in a town that's 98.46% white?

This poor monkey was found near this house. Apparently blue monkeys bleed white blood.

There is another very cool half-collapsed house but my phone was dead when I came across it. What makes it unique is that somebody used it as a graffiti art canvas. Normally I wouldn't put "graffiti" and "art" in the same sentence... but I'm not talking tag names. Really nice paintings and portraits that look spray-bombed. And literally everything around it is tagged too. About 2 miles in the woods.

If you want a very interesting (but very long) read with cool pictures, check out my buddy's trip report here
http://forums.exploringnh.com/showth...ighlight=maine
Where are these trails? I'm going up to nh in the spring to go out on some trails

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

PaulBreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #3257
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich View Post
Hey, I grew up in your town ZJMatt!!! I never saw this stuff...except for the stuff in Clough SP when I used to wing my Chevy Caprice around corners on the dirt roads back in the early 90s!
No way! What a small world! If you've got any family that grew up here who'd be around 18-25 chances are pretty good I know them. What part of town did you grow up in? The mail truck & noose, Bronco, Studebaker, and most of the other junk cars I've seen were up in the woods off Mountain Road. One by one they're all starting to dissapear from scrappers, but I know of some wayy out in the woods that scrappers will probably never find. Off the top of my head there's also an old Dodge truck, used to be an old 40s/50s Packard, a 55 Chevy, and an old Ford (don't know what it is). Also used to be an old Crown Victoria near the Studebaker, but that's gone as well. I live/grew up on 149 so I've spent a lot of time in those woods hiking, biking and on ATVs and my jeep (which stays on the main trail).

Even cooler, the trail we used to take on ATV's (runs from Sawyer Rd up through to Mountain - now closed off) has a piece of family history. Not 100% sure this is exactly the story, it's been years. But I believe it goes, my dad had an uncle who was into logging back in the 50s, and he died of a heart attack on the job. It was somewhere in the vicinity of Mountain Road, that's all we knew. Everything was just left there when he died. My dad and I spent a lot of time on ATV's out there, and one day we came across his uncle's old log truck chassis, some old small equipment, and other random stuff! Most of the truck was gone (again, scrappers?) but the frame and front axle were still left. We dubbed that trail "the front end trail" - then found out that it connected to Mountain Rd and started using it all the time. Since then another timber company bought the land and it's now closed. Pretty cool that that's no more than a half a mile walk from my front door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBreg View Post
Where are these trails? I'm going up to nh in the spring to go out on some trails

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
All these pics were on Class VI roads across southern NH.

Junk Subaru - New Boston (easy trail)
Free crate - Bradford (very difficult trail)
Tahoe - Henniker to Hillsboro (easy at that point, gets difficult further on)
Ford tractor thing - Loudon
Cemetary - Gilsum
Kangaroo - Stoddard (actually there was no trail here - it went through a nature conservancy and they blocked it off)
1st monument - Richmond
2nd monument - Hopkinton
Monkey & house - Washington
"Graffiti house" - Windsor (endless trails here of varying difficulty, definitely worth checking out)

If you want me to show you around some, let me know. You also might want to check out http://www.ExploringNH.com if you haven't already. I love exploring new places and coming across stuff like this. Many of the trails (Class VI Roads) in NH are closed until June 1st for mud season. Not all of them. So be careful where you go, or wait till summer.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #3258
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
No way! What a small world! If you've got any family that grew up here who'd be around 18-25 chances are pretty good I know them. What part of town did you grow up in? The mail truck & noose, Bronco, Studebaker, and most of the other junk cars I've seen were up in the woods off Mountain Road. One by one they're all starting to dissapear from scrappers, but I know of some wayy out in the woods that scrappers will probably never find. Off the top of my head there's also an old Dodge truck, used to be an old 40s/50s Packard, a 55 Chevy, and an old Ford (don't know what it is). Also used to be an old Crown Victoria near the Studebaker, but that's gone as well. I live/grew up on 149 so I've spent a lot of time in those woods hiking, biking and on ATVs and my jeep (which stays on the main trail).

Even cooler, the trail we used to take on ATV's (runs from Sawyer Rd up through to Mountain - now closed off) has a piece of family history. Not 100% sure this is exactly the story, it's been years. But I believe it goes, my dad had an uncle who was into logging back in the 50s, and he died of a heart attack on the job. It was somewhere in the vicinity of Mountain Road, that's all we knew. Everything was just left there when he died. My dad and I spent a lot of time on ATV's out there, and one day we came across his uncle's old log truck chassis, some old small equipment, and other random stuff! Most of the truck was gone (again, scrappers?) but the frame and front axle were still left. We dubbed that trail "the front end trail" - then found out that it connected to Mountain Rd and started using it all the time. Since then another timber company bought the land and it's now closed. Pretty cool that that's no more than a half a mile walk from my front door.

All these pics were on Class VI roads across southern NH.

Junk Subaru - New Boston (easy trail)
Free crate - Bradford (very difficult trail)
Tahoe - Henniker to Hillsboro (easy at that point, gets difficult further on)
Ford tractor thing - Loudon
Cemetary - Gilsum
Kangaroo - Stoddard (actually there was no trail here - it went through a nature conservancy and they blocked it off)
1st monument - Richmond
2nd monument - Hopkinton
Monkey & house - Washington
"Graffiti house" - Windsor (endless trails here of varying difficulty, definitely worth checking out)

If you want me to show you around some, let me know. You also might want to check out http://www.ExploringNH.com if you haven't already. I love exploring new places and coming across stuff like this. Many of the trails (Class VI Roads) in NH are closed until June 1st for mud season. Not all of them. So be careful where you go, or wait till summer.
Good to see some fellow ENHer's on here too!

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1975 IHC Fleetstar 2010A Fire truck
'01 Jeep GC Laredo (SOLD)
1962 IHC BC-160 Fire Hose Wagon (SOLD)
jmfirefighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #3259
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfirefighter20 View Post
Good to see some fellow ENHer's on here too!
Yes! Kind of funny I'm finding so many NH people on this forum (Jeep Stories) but the NH regional forum here is so dead.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #3260
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes! Kind of funny I'm finding so many NH people on this forum (Jeep Stories) but the NH regional forum here is so dead.
Wish MT was more like that! We are so spread out around here it's hard to find anyone else to wheel with. Consequently, finding new trails means having to find new people, so without one, the other doesn't happen haha
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #3261
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
Wish MT was more like that! We are so spread out around here it's hard to find anyone else to wheel with. Consequently, finding new trails means having to find new people, so without one, the other doesn't happen haha
True... you can cross NH west to east in 2 hours and south to north in 4... those are if you're driving slow. So everyone is pretty close to each other. I go wheeling alone all the time, but I'm just not quite as daring. I know the bottom half of the state (trails & back roads) very well and know people all over just in case something does happen, I usually have someone I can call (assuming I have cell service - which usually is NOT the case).

Knock on wood the only mishap I've had out alone, was I blew a sidewall on a trail about an hour away, replaced it with my spare, made it to the main road and 500 feet later blew another tire. Had just enough service to call my dad and for him to make out every other word. "Stuck, Route 9, Nelson, bring trailer." lol. I also got out a text to my best friend who lived just a little north of there and they were ready to come down with a tire if I needed it.
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #3262
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
True... you can cross NH west to east in 2 hours and south to north in 4... those are if you're driving slow. So everyone is pretty close to each other. I go wheeling alone all the time, but I'm just not quite as daring. I know the bottom half of the state (trails & back roads) very well and know people all over just in case something does happen, I usually have someone I can call (assuming I have cell service - which usually is NOT the case).

Knock on wood the only mishap I've had out alone, was I blew a sidewall on a trail about an hour away, replaced it with my spare, made it to the main road and 500 feet later blew another tire. Had just enough service to call my dad and for him to make out every other word. "Stuck, Route 9, Nelson, bring trailer." lol. I also got out a text to my best friend who lived just a little north of there and they were ready to come down with a tire if I needed it.
It takes about 5 hours to get from where I live (Helena) to the biggest city in the state (Billings), which is central Montana so wheeling can get a little remote up here. That-- among other reasons like temperature, mechanical failures, etc.-- is why I NEVER wheel alone. Past gnarly dirt roads and trails that I know well, I always go with someone. On a semi-related note, I can get from one of the major towns (and by major I mean somewhere with the population of about 30,000) without using highways/paved roads. And that can be quite the saga at times. For example, between Helena and Butte, you climb over a mountain range haha that route is one of my favorites! It involves train tunnels, game trails, private land, and train tressels (all of which we have gotten permission to wheel on.) Once the snow clears and I grab my budget boost, I'll have to go over there and take some pics "as seen from my jeep"
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #3263
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It takes about 5 hours to get from where I live (Helena) to the biggest city in the state (Billings), which is central Montana so wheeling can get a little remote up here. That-- among other reasons like temperature, mechanical failures, etc.-- is why I NEVER wheel alone. Past gnarly dirt roads and trails that I know well, I always go with someone. On a semi-related note, I can get from one of the major towns (and by major I mean somewhere with the population of about 30,000) without using highways/paved roads. And that can be quite the saga at times. For example, between Helena and Butte, you climb over a mountain range haha that route is one of my favorites! It involves train tunnels, game trails, private land, and train tressels (all of which we have gotten permission to wheel on.) Once the snow clears and I grab my budget boost, I'll have to go over there and take some pics "as seen from my jeep"
Totally off topic, but I dont know how you guys do it out in the NW. My uncle lives in the pan handle of idaho, 45 miles from Canada border, and i think 15miles to the Montana border. Closest grocery store to him is half hour away .. And thats only a mom and pop store.. The last time I was out with him, 8(?) years ago, we went from Bonners Ferry to Missoula. Longest 4 hours of my life. I love it, and would love to live out there, but, you have to drive forever to get anywhere
Unread 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3264
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
Totally off topic, but I dont know how you guys do it out in the NW. My uncle lives in the pan handle of idaho, 45 miles from Canada border, and i think 15miles to the Montana border. Closest grocery store to him is half hour away .. And thats only a mom and pop store.. The last time I was out with him, 8(?) years ago, we went from Bonners Ferry to Missoula. Longest 4 hours of my life. I love it, and would love to live out there, but, you have to drive forever to get anywhere
The panhandle is remote as hell. If you were 4 hours outside of Missoula, you were a LONG ways from anybody else. That's NORTH haha! I love it up in that area. Beautiful! Went up there a couple summers ago. The forests were absolutely gorgeous
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #3265
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lets see here, where to begin?

Wheeled on the Unabombers property, which was weird because we all had the distinct feeling of being watched the entire time...

Found a meth house and a pot plantation less than an acre from each other waaaaaaay up in the mountains. The two were probably connected, so we marked the coordinates and notified Gallatin County Sheriffs. That was retty interesting.

Got chased by a couple wild-looking dudes near the town of Jardine, MT. Lots of Freemen and white supremacist groups up there because it's so incredibly remote. That was one of the scariest things I've I've ever experienced because they would not stop. We ended up right around 15-20 miles from the nearest road without a clue if those guys were waiting for us at the bottom of the hill... Ended up trying to sneak bout past nightfall, which might've worked. I'll never know, though, because we never saw those guys again. I don't think I've even driven so fast on any dirt road like that ever before or since. We were practically in tears the whole time, thats how scared we were.

Oh yeah. Found a pile of around 100 dead sheep decomposing at the bottom of a cliff on my buddies property last spring. They had apparently fallen off when the lead ram led them off the cliff in a bad snowstorm. What was interesting, though, was the fact that when we picked through the pile, we found an antelope buck at the very bottom needless to say, we were all slightly confused. He was next to the big ram haha so we still have no idea.

We had pics of the last story, and I think they ended up on google somehow. The pile was really impressive actually it made the rural newspapers front page! Somehow, though, I lost the memory card that contained the pictures of the sheep pile-up on it. Those pictures went with the ones of the legendary Lamar wolf pack (now nearly extinct) in Yellowstone National Park.

Boy, for being only 18, I've seen a LOT up here in Montucky!
Oh yeah, one more thing, got shot at up in Wickes, about 35 miles outside of Butte. That was some scary business! Had to take cover in an old train tunnel until the guy had unloaded his clip (or so we hoped )

-Evan
Cool stories!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #3266
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAllen View Post
Yeah! thats it! Too bad they never, ever, ever do anything with jeeps.... I'd love to see those guys in a couple TJ's .
Id like to sees a top gear with the newest best Rubicon with all the dealer available goodies VS. A TJ with $5000 in goodies VS. a good condition streetable CJ with $7500 in goodies.
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #3267
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

And the most unusual thing Ive ever seen wheeling was a 80 ft tall wave at Peahi Maui. Better known as Jaws.
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #3268
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post

Id like to sees a top gear with the newest best Rubicon with all the dealer available goodies VS. A TJ with $5000 in goodies VS. a good condition streetable CJ with $7500 in goodies.
And a 5.9 zj with a lift and 32 s
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3269
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
You've got to throw in an XJ. I'd rather see an XJ with $5000 in mods instead of a CJ. Atleast then you keep it fuel injected and similar motors.

If I had $7500 for a CJ project, I could build something that would outdo anything because I'd start with a drive train swap that would be nearly prohibitive in a TJ or XJ.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #3270
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Thing about the cj getting more $$ is because they are cheaper to start with and I skipped yj because cjs are very similar to them(fellow cj guys dont take that as an insult please). And as for zjs and xj thats for a different episode involving a wagoneer. And for the fool injection, drivetrains arent the point, lineage is.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.