Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 215 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #3211
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
All the guys weren't doing anything, just standing around watching me.
That is not unusual for government workers.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #3212
WolfgangGullich
2010 JK Wrangler 

I don't think that's all that weird. They were likely Dept of Interior peeps...are there any National Forests or such up that way? As to 'unmarked' govt vehicles with nothing but the plates to denote their owner...I'm in the Air Force and the vast majority of federal govt vehicles aren't marked in any way save for the license plates. Weird would be seeing one that had govt markings all over it.
Unread 02-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #3213
LJ-ROD
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangGullich View Post
I don't think that's all that weird. They were likely Dept of Interior peeps...are there any National Forests or such up that way? As to 'unmarked' govt vehicles with nothing but the plates to denote their owner...I'm in the Air Force and the vast majority of federal govt vehicles aren't marked in any way save for the license plates. Weird would be seeing one that had govt markings all over it.
Quoted for truth. I'm a contractor for the army, haven't driven a marked vehicle yet. They were probably forest service or fish and wildlife. I've spent plenty of time with gov't workers "team building"

Obadiah Build Thread -
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2005-lj-obadiah-build-1478051/#post14956502
LJ-ROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #3214
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Think so government like keeping stuff on the downlow
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #3215
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I was on National Forest land, so it makes sense that the gov'ment would be up there. I dunno. I looked for markings on their clothing, even, and couldn't see anything. Got close enough to one guy to read his hat. Had RMEF on it. So who knows? Just kinda odd for me.
Unread 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #3216
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post

I was on National Forest land, so it makes sense that the gov'ment would be up there. I dunno. I looked for markings on their clothing, even, and couldn't see anything. Got close enough to one guy to read his hat. Had RMEF on it. So who knows? Just kinda odd for me.
Rocky mountain elk foundation
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #3217
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I knew that. I live in Montana, so this is very typical up here. I think their headquarters is about 2 hours north of us in Missoula. And if it isn't their HQ it's a VERY large visitor center haha
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #3218
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Eagle Mountain, CA

In March of last year (2012), while my buddies and I were stationed in 29 Palms, CA for school, we got bored one Friday evening, so we planned out a day trip to head to Eagle Mountain Mine, sticking only to the trails. Eagle Mountain was an old mining town that was closed down, and just left there, so naturally, we had to investigate.

We all met up at the last gas station headed out that way, topped off the tanks, grab some trail munchies, and headed out. Drove through part of Joshua Tree National Park, which has some amazing views BTW.

Shortly before we made it to Eagle Mountain - at least what we could tell from Google Maps SatView and our GPS's, we needed a lunch break. (I'm leaning on the door)

After some chow, and another 30 minutes on the trail, we came to the gnarliest gate any of us have encountered - had pie slice shaped chunks of 1/4" steel welded to the face of it, pointed towards the trail, and would have likely skewered anyone trying to ram the gate, as well as a crazy "X" shaped spike strip embedded in the ground about 20' in front of the gate. So naturally, we took a minute to size up the situation and figure out how to get around it....

Found it!

Ended up finding a road, so we started meandering down it, and by meandering I mean at ~45 mph, because we all had this weird feeling we were being watched. Little ways down, we came across this big 'ole bastard -

I could stand on the hood of the blue TJ and be eye level with the top strand of barbed wire.

Further on down we came across the actual mining town and support facilities. There were all kinds of warehouses with machinery out the ying yang, all neatly parked like someday, the workers would all return and just pick right up where they left off.

The actual town was the creepy part -

Had a blast that day, but after we crossed that rock berm, we all had the heeby jeebies the entire time we were there.

If I'm ever back there in 29 Palms, I'd head back in a heartbeat though, because there were all kinds of off shoot roads in that area, we only took the main one.

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #3219
AndyAllen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't they film an episode of Top Gear USA there?
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #3220
yodathlete

^ yea it was the Subaru vs the dirtbike
yodathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #3221
AndyAllen
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodathlete View Post
^ yea it was the Subaru vs the dirtbike
Yeah! thats it! Too bad they never, ever, ever do anything with jeeps.... I'd love to see those guys in a couple TJ's .
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #3222
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAllen View Post

Yeah! thats it! Too bad they never, ever, ever do anything with jeeps.... I'd love to see those guys in a couple TJ's .
The had a cj vs bronco vs suburban on a little over a year ago

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #3223
yodathlete

There was a show on discovery where they drive a slightly modded 04 TJ in the worst places on earth but there was so little work done to it
yodathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #3224
SaretteJeep

Saw some deer playing tag on a back road in southern VA. Lol.
SaretteJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #3225
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaretteJeep
Saw some deer playing tag on a back road in southern VA. Lol.
Where are you in southern VA? The deer can get funny around this time of year back in the sticks around here

Sent while doing something I shouldn't be doing.

The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.