Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 211 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #3151
Grux
1983 CJ7 

My son and I found human remains in a shallow grave near the Mexican border east of Plaster City, CA. We were the last Jeep in a colum of 7 Jeeps. Every one drove over the remains without noticing. My son just about jumped out of my rolling CJ, yelling that there were human bones on the side of the trail. At first we did not believe him, but when we saw the lower vertiberal colum and 1/2 the plevis with some meat still on it in the middle of the trail, we fanned out to see what more we could find. That's when we found the grave. We call the local authorities, and they detained our group for close to an hour. They told us that the body was probably a "coyote" (trafficer), kidnap victum that was killed because the ransom was either paid or not paid. Apperently they kill them either way.

I have been going to the So Cal deserts since I was 5, and have found rockets, bombs, airplane crashes, burned out cars, mine shafts, and abandon stone cabins, but the human bones were a first.

Grux

Grux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #3152
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jackson Whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe View Post
jackson whites anyone?
What do you know about Jackson Whites? That tribe is located in northern Jersey.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #3153
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you know about Jackson Whites?
You from Jersey, I'm from Jersey. Spent hundreds of nights in tents in JW territory. Hardly a tribe. My understanding is they are two families of squatters from the depression. I had relatives with a taste for possum whom claimed to have known a few. There is a book that has some recipes, remedies and lore. Once while establishing a multi day orienterring course I came upon a cabin with hot coals in the stove and coffee on the table, a small garden, and cache. Being naive teen we went in while he/she/they bolted. Given the contents of the cabin we guessed they may have been JW but who knows, it was the early 70s after all!

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #3154
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was a teenager when I met the Jackson Whites in Mahwah area. Used to buy large quantities of weed from them. I grew up walking the Ramapo Mountains. Alot of people other than the JW lived in those mountains. Very familiar with the area from the Hudson to Greenwood Lake. Used to camp around Lake Welch in Bear Mountain, fished in the lakes off of Seven Lakes Drive. Am old enough to remember Doodletown. An uncle of mine owned "Janek's" in Mahwah. I used to work at the truckstop on 17. I notice that you're a long way from home. I've traveled all over since I left. Know Tucson too, used to live in Bullhead City, up by Kingman. How old are you anyway? Seems like our paths should have crossed back then. The JW love to fight and party. Kind of wild. They claim Indian ancestry and slave forefathers too. I knew a few but no taste for possum. Friends of mine knew them quite well. The Call family who lived on Call Mountain knew them. Call Mountain is off of Call Hollow Road.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #3155
yodathlete

Found a Toyota 4 runner trying to go 4 wheeling

forumrunner_20121217_212813.jpg
yodathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #3156
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodathlete View Post
Found a Toyota 4 runner trying to go 4 wheeling

Attachment 526968
Doesnt look like the trail is beyond the Tacos capibility. to him
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #3157
yodathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL

Doesnt look like the trail is beyond the Tacos capibility. to him
Trust me after this rock hill is puddles that he almost got stuck in 4 hi that I was breezing thru in 2
yodathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #3158
GhostTownRubi
2013 JK Wrangler 

I guess this counts as a fun wheeling story as it took place in an old Army M151 Jeep! I was in the Army in 1979 and my unit was sent to Ft. Irwin in the California desert for training. Now during this time, Ft. Irwin was not very big but their downrange training area is massive. I was with the 4th MP Co. stationed out of Ft. Carson, Co at the time so our jobs were security for the tactical operations centers (TOC). During the exercises, in my Jeep were my squad Sgt., myself, and a .60 gunner. We had a particular area to cover, but if anyone has been on Ft. Irwin downrange would know it can get confusing and one can easily get lost. Well, you guessed it, we got lost and soon we had no idea where we were and no one around for miles. We come around a bend in the road and spy a huge satellite dish that is surrounded by chain link fencing with razor wire and serious signs to keep out or you will be shot. We spy a building about 2-300' from the dish and head for that hoping to find directions back. As we pull up this guy with long hair and beard unkempt clothes steps outside and starts waving at us. He really seems happy to see us and we ask for directions back to Ft. Irwin. He tells us we got to come on in and get out of the sun and get something cool to drink and he would show us around. We said we could not since we had our weapons and could not leave them. He tells us, "no problem bring 'em in."

This guy proceeds to take us three dirty dusty soldiers through this building with all these blinking lights and gadgets and tells us this site tracks deep space objects and just was so happening tracking voyager at that time. It was like what you would expect to see out of a sci-fi movie. This guy was just so happy we were there he was running around and showing us how he could move the satellite dish. We talked with him for a while and thanked him for the tour, but told him we really needed to get going. He really seemed to be bummed out. I just don't think he got to see many people way out in the middle of the desert.

I will always remember that day walking through that place and how happy that guy was for our visit.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3159
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I was 12 or 13 my buddy and I were out in the woods near our house when we walked through an area that had a well groomed path, so we went to check it out and came across a 20' x 20' marijuana crop that was 6-8' tall. We couldn't believe it, but thought it was best to get out of there. Went back the next day with a couple of other friends to find an empty 20 x 20 piece of land.
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #3160
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Went wheeling onetime and came across a graveyard from the 1800's that is now a devil worshipping site. it had pentagrams and animal bones everywhere. It had recently rained so I did donuts on the pentagram and some other stuff that was there, and totally destroyed it!
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #3161
Mitchell420tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickboxingSloth View Post
Went wheeling onetime and came across a graveyard from the 1800's that is now a devil worshipping site. it had pentagrams and animal bones everywhere. It had recently rained so I did donuts on the pentagram and some other stuff that was there, and totally destroyed it!
U better b careful, wat if the devil worshippers make ur jeep have bad luck or something haha
Mitchell420tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #3162
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Remembered another one, not a Jeep experience but really creepy. so when i was 7 years old when we lived on our ranch in Central Texas, i was out exploring the property one night by myself (Back in the days. when this wasnt considered child abuse) with a little Rugar .22 lr. I decided i would go down and follow the bottom of the creek till i got home. It was a new moon so it was pitch dark and all i had was one of those ever ready flashlights that would allow you to see like 10 inches in front of you. When all of a sudden these eyes started popping out of nowhere so naturally i started shooting. I had to reload like three times but I hauled *** out of there.I was telling my dad what had happened and he didnt believe me. We decided to go to the creek the next morning. When we did we were astonished at what we found. There had to be 30-40 dead nutria laying everywhere. If you dont know what a nutria is its a Beaver with a thick rat tail instead of the normal flat tail. In the county where we were they paid $5 for every nutria killed you just have to cut off their tail as evidence. So it ended up being a pretty good day!
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #3163
tj1997tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure "I'VE" been found unusual by others out wheeling a time or two
tj1997tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #3164
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickboxingSloth
Remembered another one, not a Jeep experience but really creepy. so when i was 7 years old when we lived on our ranch in Central Texas, i was out exploring the property one night by myself (Back in the days. when this wasnt considered child abuse) with a little Rugar .22 lr. I decided i would go down and follow the bottom of the creek till i got home. It was a new moon so it was pitch dark and all i had was one of those ever ready flashlights that would allow you to see like 10 inches in front of you. When all of a sudden these eyes started popping out of nowhere so naturally i started shooting. I had to reload like three times but I hauled *** out of there.I was telling my dad what had happened and he didnt believe me. We decided to go to the creek the next morning. When we did we were astonished at what we found. There had to be 30-40 dead nutria laying everywhere. If you dont know what a nutria is its a Beaver with a thick rat tail instead of the normal flat tail. In the county where we were they paid $5 for every nutria killed you just have to cut off their tail as evidence. So it ended up being a pretty good day!
Good shooting! What rugar a mkI pistol?

'06 LJ
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #3165
jricketts67
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGxJOHN
we were wheeling one day in the woods and came across a dirtbike. it was cold so it hadnt been on in a while but we knew it had to belong to someone. nevertheless we moved it off the trail so we could stop back by on the way out and see if anyone claimed it yet. well no more than a 1/4 mile farther down the trail we run into the owners of the thing and they are already lookin at us like they know we f'd with it. so they question us about it and we deny that we even saw it (dont know why). 5 min later we're surrounded by them and their buddies who had left to get gas for the dirt bike. needless to say they weren't happy. the worst part, one of them was a fellow jeeper. sad day for us..im sure we could have fought them and blah blah blah but we didn't wanna take it there. we were in the wrong and we knew it. so we just put our tails between our legs and left. lesson learned. dont touch other peoples' stuff on the trail!!!! DUH!!!
Don't take no **** from nobody... You moved it so you didn't run it over.. Should have just told the guys
jricketts67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.