Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 202 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #3016
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Picketwire Canyon in southeast Colorado has the largest dinosaur track site in N. America.
Here's my son (age 8 & a dino nut) standing amid 70 million year old sauropod tracks.

It's not really 4-wheeling, just a 2 track road through the desert-and you can only drive there with a USFS guide. But it's still pretty cool-there's also an old ranch, indian rock art, and an old Spanish mission in the canyon.

colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #3017
supergaako

Hi I don't know if this is the right thread I post but I have no clue how this one happened... I bought a brand new 2012 wrangler unlimited a week ago and now I found a rip on the soft top above the back seat and the metal frame is bent and rusty...seems like some thing hard and sharp damaged the top and the frame. I took it to the dealership but they said it should have happened while I was driving. I've never been off road never parked or drove under a roof or trees (well trees won't do it). I have never touched the top. The dealership said that's not their responsibility and charging me $1200 to fix it. So I'm not fixing it at the dealership. Is there any way to patch it for now? And can anyone guess how that could happen? Please see the pic.
image-1356051226.jpg   image-296049446.jpg  
supergaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #3018
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

1: not the correct place to post that

2: not taking it off road is probably the problem

3: looks like something hit it

4: go to an upolstry (probably spelled wrong) shop and you can get a patch from them or have them fix it. It won't cost $1200
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #3019
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergaako View Post
Hi I don't know if this is the right thread I post but I have no clue how this one happened... I bought a brand new 2012 wrangler unlimited a week ago and now I found a rip on the soft top above the back seat and the metal frame is bent and rusty...seems like some thing hard and sharp damaged the top and the frame. I took it to the dealership but they said it should have happened while I was driving. I've never been off road never parked or drove under a roof or trees (well trees won't do it). I have never touched the top. The dealership said that's not their responsibility and charging me $1200 to fix it. So I'm not fixing it at the dealership. Is there any way to patch it for now? And can anyone guess how that could happen? Please see the pic.
That might just be a "sky'd" bullet. From the looks, it could have been relatively low velocity but still had enough force to bend the metal (weak metal anyway). Check your floorboards and seats. Kind of **** happens way more often than you'd think.

To the upholstry shop with you. They can patch stuff like that for less than $100. Spray that frame with some black gloss and forget it ever happened.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #3020
bighouts5591
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There's a trail we run a lot near Beech Creek, PA that we just call "the furnace." Right in the middle of it is an old melting furnace that has a really steep hill descent and climb out to get to it. Makes me wonder how they got to it when it was operational probably over 100 years ago

forumrunner_20120526_111637.jpg

Last edited by bighouts5591; 05-26-2012 at 09:37 AM..
bighouts5591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #3021
supergaako

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ
1: not the correct place to post that

2: not taking it off road is probably the problem

3: looks like something hit it

4: go to an upolstry (probably spelled wrong) shop and you can get a patch from them or have them fix it. It won't cost $1200
Thank you so much for the info. Haha I know more will happen when I go off road. Can't wait I ended up ordering bestop trektop nx at a custom shop. But for now I will get a patch..didn't know where to go. Thank u!
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #3022
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergaako
bestop trektop nx
That top is notoriously difficult to get on the first time. Make sure you put it in the sun in 80+ heat before you attempt to install it.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #3023
supergaako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone

That might just be a "sky'd" bullet. From the looks, it could have been relatively low velocity but still had enough force to bend the metal (weak metal anyway). Check your floorboards and seats. Kind of **** happens way more often than you'd think.

To the upholstry shop with you. They can patch stuff like that for less than $100. Spray that frame with some black gloss and forget it ever happened.
Wow! Bullet...I've never thought of it.. I didn't find anything in my car but true..anything could happen.. I decided to get bestop trektop for the looks and convenience but I will have it patched and spray the frame so that I can sell it and forget about it :P thank u so much for ur input.
Unread 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #3024
supergaako

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter

That top is notoriously difficult to get on the first time. Make sure you put it in the sun in 80+ heat before you attempt to install it.
Oh! I will make sure they know it. I'm in south Florida so it will warm up really quick in the sun luckily. Thank u!
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #3025
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouts5591 View Post
There's a trail we run a lot near Beech Creek, PA that we just call "the furnace." Right in the middle of it is an old melting furnace that has a really steep hill descent and climb out to get to it. Makes me wonder how they got to it when it was operational probably over 100 years ago

Attachment 403774

That's so awesome. I'm willing to bet those trails you're wheeling on are actually old railroad beds, possibly of the Beech Creek Railroad Company.
Next time you're on that trail, look for concrete mile markers. Then you'll know for sure you're on a railbed. Unless it's just a branchline, it should've had the markers....at least at some point. I'm not sure if they used "Shay" type locomotives, which were almost exclusivly used in tight, steep mountainous regions, and generally used a narrow gauge track. They didn't have the typical running gear of a steam locomotive, but driveshafts along one side turning gears on the wheels. Anyways....my point is, that's probably how they accessed the furnace lol. Which was probably used for making fire bricks.

Here....check this out. Anything look familiar? This is the reminants of the Beech Creek Railroad.

http://www.nepaview.com/nyc-beech-creek-railroad.html

And...why not. Shay Locomotives lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_locomotive

Unread 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #3026
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade View Post
Find a way, and take'er home.....or maybe return it to the owner?

Speaking of returning bikes. A Harley washed up recently in B.C............from Japan! Got pulled out during the tsunami and bobbed around the effing Pacific Ocean before washing up on the Canadian coast.

Of course, being a good Canuck......they reunited it with the owner

Can you imagine his confusion and exitement upon hearing his motorcycle made it all the way across the pacific?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #3027
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post

Can you imagine his confusion and exitement upon hearing his motorcycle made it all the way across the pacific?

Oh yeah.....for a little while, I'm sure. Until he seen the pics of his beloved 2004 Night Train...........

I guess H-D offered to totally restore the bike AND ship it to him(which is totally cool on their part), but he respectfully declined. He requested that it instead be put on display in the H-D Museum AS IS, as a memorial to those who died in the tsunami. Which is also pretty cool.

So......that's where you'll be able to find it, as long as that museum exists.

Unread 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #3028
bighouts5591
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade

That's so awesome. I'm willing to bet those trails you're wheeling on are actually old railroad beds, possibly of the Beech Creek Railroad Company.
Next time you're on that trail, look for concrete mile markers. Then you'll know for sure you're on a railbed. Unless it's just a branchline, it should've had the markers....at least at some point. I'm not sure if they used "Shay" type locomotives, which were almost exclusivly used in tight, steep mountainous regions, and generally used a narrow gauge track. They didn't have the typical running gear of a steam locomotive, but driveshafts along one side turning gears on the wheels. Anyways....my point is, that's probably how they accessed the furnace lol. Which was probably used for making fire bricks.

Here....check this out. Anything look familiar? This is the reminants of the Beech Creek Railroad.

http://www.nepaview.com/nyc-beech-creek-railroad.html

And...why not. Shay Locomotives lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_locomotive

I don't think the trail to this furnace ever had tracks to it but maybe, there is kind of a flat spot right in front of it. but it does have fire brick laying all around it. We did do some trails on the beds today though and got some pictures in the tunnel on that link you sent. Rumor has it there's a big mansion in the woods somewhere near that furnace but we haven't found it yet
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3029
PaulBreg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouts5591

I don't think the trail to this furnace ever had tracks to it but maybe, there is kind of a flat spot right in front of it. but it does have fire brick laying all around it. We did do some trails on the beds today though and got some pictures in the tunnel on that link you sent. Rumor has it there's a big mansion in the woods somewhere near that furnace but we haven't found it yet
I'd like to come out and see this area sometime. What's its location?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
PaulBreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #3030
bighouts5591
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Beech Creek, PA is the closest town to it, we can get you there if you wanna come sometime, we run it pretty much every time we wheel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.