Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-21-2006, 12:33 AM   #286
ProjectXJRescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
I was deployed to Tooele Army Depot with the Ca. National Guard a few years back. A buddy and I were out on roving guard duty in a Humvee. While we were "reconning a possible avenue of approach" into the ammo holding area, we stumbled across a VX (nerve agent) filled land mine. We had to call in EOD. I've worked with EOD quite a bit and I've never seen one of those guys panic. The tech that showed up to deal with it was an E-7. He took one look at it and got panicy as all hell. He showed us where he kept his nerve agent antidote kits and gave us detailed instructions on what to do if we heard/saw the mine go off while he was dealing with it.

Because of the nerve agent, the mine couldn't be blown in place, he had to collect it, render it un-exlopdable and take it to the chemical depot that was a half hour away. The next day, he came to us and let us know that the mine was inert. Supposedly, it had been filled with the neutralizing agent and never marked as such. We had to go through a big debriefing on it. I still think it was a live VX mine though.
When my unit was being deployed to Iraq we mobed out of APG in Md. One of the very first breifings that we got was on safety and what not. We where told very clearly that we were not to go into any wooded area and not to go into any clearing that was marked off in any way, the reason being is that since one of things that they have tested there was ammo of all sorts. There are still tons upon tons of unaccounted UXO's throughout that base. As we getting to leave the FD there told us how the army was finally getting rid of or neutralizing several hundred tons of nerve agent they had stored there. So more then likely that mine was live with VX. The army tends to forget about things.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, because of rough men who stand ready to commit violence on their behalf"
ProjectXJRescue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #287
ProjectXJRescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram
There are two springs in FL that I know of Blue spring and Ginny spring, both 50 degrees in the middle of summer in middle florida. They haven't found the bottom of them yet, but if you take the time to certify you can cave dive them. I was down there so long with a double tank that I had to decompress twice before surfacing. They don't go straight down but more down a couple of hundred feet then out
No one in Jersey would do that at this place, because then somebody might acutally find the Jersey Devil's bones and prove (A) that it was real and that (B) it is now dead. IF there were no Jersey devil there would be nothing cool about that state other then the beach. I mean really think about it. What is jersey sand and pine trees
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, because of rough men who stand ready to commit violence on their behalf"
Unread 03-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #288
MichiganJeeper1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great thread. My story happened a couple of months ago. A buddy and I were wheeling down an old lake accsess road on some state land and found a set of prison clothes. (Cassidy lake prison is a bootcamp type prison that is near the trail) It freaked us out because we thought that someone might have escaped and needed a chang of clothes and a vehicle...well we had both of what he needed. We got the heck outta there and my buddy dicides to go tell someone at the prison where we found them and I went to the local watering hole to wait for him and tell our story. Well when my buddy showed up he told me that the guy he told called the DNR and they wanted him to show them what trail he was on. Well when he took them to the trail head they wrote him a ticket for illegal wheeling! Now there is a big gate acrossed the enterance with a sign that says no hunting fishing or tresspassing. We never did find out what the story was with the clothes. He is pretty bitter about the ticket though.
Unread 03-22-2006, 01:31 PM   #289
Pottymouth
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Location: 30 minutes south of Baghdad....oops....I mean Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJeeper1
This is a great thread. My story happened a couple of months ago. A buddy and I were wheeling down an old lake accsess road on some state land and found a set of prison clothes. (Cassidy lake prison is a bootcamp type prison that is near the trail) It freaked us out because we thought that someone might have escaped and needed a chang of clothes and a vehicle...well we had both of what he needed. We got the heck outta there and my buddy dicides to go tell someone at the prison where we found them and I went to the local watering hole to wait for him and tell our story. Well when my buddy showed up he told me that the guy he told called the DNR and they wanted him to show them what trail he was on. Well when he took them to the trail head they wrote him a ticket for illegal wheeling! Now there is a big gate acrossed the enterance with a sign that says no hunting fishing or tresspassing. We never did find out what the story was with the clothes. He is pretty bitter about the ticket though.
Damn! That sucks! You would think the term "discretion" would have some meaning to the DNR. Here you are trying to do the right thing and you get slapped with a ticket. The DNR in Michigan are terrible, especially during snowmobile season. I cannot tell you how many times i've been heckled by them on the trail up north.
10" Kicker Compvx Subwoofer
350W Kicker Amp
A big back seat for some fun with the lady friends
Pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:58 AM   #290
SurvCat

Found this wheelin a couple of months back. This is a local place known to have stolen vehicles taken to and stripped and burned. The column had been punched. Called this in but was never reported stolen. Last time we went out there....about 3 weeks later, I saw the tailgate, misc. light lenses, and pieces of dash....but no truck

SurvCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #291
MichiganJeeper1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottymouth
Damn! That sucks! You would think the term "discretion" would have some meaning to the DNR. Here you are trying to do the right thing and you get slapped with a ticket. The DNR in Michigan are terrible, especially during snowmobile season. I cannot tell you how many times i've been heckled by them on the trail up north.

I dont know what it is about the DNR in Michigan, A lot of the rangers I have run into are nice to me and are just doing their job. However it seems like just as many encounters are with real a$$ holes who want to squeeze every last bit of power they can from being a DNR ranger. Oh well I guess the best way is to live and learn , we wont be going back to that spot again.

Sorry about the rant guys
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #292
jeeptj00boy

on the way up to east lake just outside of sunriver oregon there are these freaky looking idols carved out of old tree trunks with a chainsaw. First time I saw them freaked me out big time (probably because it was 5 am and I didn't get very much sleep) anyhow if you get a chance go look at them pretty cool.
O and thanks to this thread I do believe I am going to buy a gun.
Unread 03-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #293
Cherokee-Dan

this doesnt count for jeepin but my Dad and I were out on our boat in the Thames River which is the river that has General Dynamics , Electric Boat, and the Sub base there. We were riding up along side of the base and looking at all the cool Subs they were working on and the sub in the Dry Dock. All of sudden we look ahead and see flashing lights and we stop and then see a Us Naval Boat standing there grounds with a Mounted machine gun on the boat all ready but it was covered but you could tell the odd shape of it. Next they look at us with binocluars and see another boat to our right the same way but this time his gun was not covered. LOL So we got the heck out of there.

General Dynamics and EB is where they put Nukes in the Subs so its very high security wise!

o|||||o
Cherokee-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #294
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here in the hilly southwest corner of Pa. we have found all sorts of crap. But the best was when I was about 13. I delivered newspapers and, this weird old man(prolly in his 80's) told me about "the fire that comes outta the ground" and that he used to go there when he was a kid. My brother, a couple of freinds and I went fishing on this lake way back in the woods behind my parents house. He said if you follow the stream up to where it Y's past the lake, stay left and you'll find it. We never went that far up before so we thought we would give it a shot. Well about two miles up we get to the Y, and then another mile we come up, and there is this fire litteraly shooting outta the ground! It was the coolest thing we ever saw. We would camp there later on so that we wouldn't have to collect fire wood. But it was to much of a pain to back track for the fishing. I guess it was some kind of nautral gas well of some sort? oh well, my story anyhow, doug

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #295
Haik
supaJEEP

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Found a guy sleeping out under a tree, wearing jogging cloths in the middle of NOWHERE with exactly 1 open beer and a rifle. He didn't even move when the dirt bikes and quads showed up, yelled at him a bit and figured it would be a fantastic idea to leave. went back a few hours later on our way home and he was gone, as was the rifle and beer.

-SOLD- White Jeep Club Member #8675309

Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Lift Kit - Advance Adapters SYE w/ Custom driveshaft
35" SuperSwamper Boggers - SMF rear bumper w/ swingout tire carrier
Cobra 75 WX ST - Firestick II 5' - PIAA 520 - PIAA 525 - 488 Gears - Detroit Locker
SMF front
bumper w/ bull bar - Warn 9500ti winch
Haik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #296
ProjectXJRescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_1994
Here in the hilly southwest corner of Pa. we have found all sorts of crap. But the best was when I was about 13. I delivered newspapers and, this weird old man(prolly in his 80's) told me about "the fire that comes outta the ground" and that he used to go there when he was a kid. My brother, a couple of freinds and I went fishing on this lake way back in the woods behind my parents house. He said if you follow the stream up to where it Y's past the lake, stay left and you'll find it. We never went that far up before so we thought we would give it a shot. Well about two miles up we get to the Y, and then another mile we come up, and there is this fire litteraly shooting outta the ground! It was the coolest thing we ever saw. We would camp there later on so that we wouldn't have to collect fire wood. But it was to much of a pain to back track for the fishing. I guess it was some kind of nautral gas well of some sort? oh well, my story anyhow, doug
When I first read this I thought you were going to talk about the town called centralia or something like that. The ground underneath it really is on fire, its an old coal mining town and the coal vein caught fire. Anyways there are a few people still living there but most moved out and the state and federal government bought those homes and land up. I have never been there but I hear its a pretty cool place to go.
Unread 03-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #297
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectXJRescue
When I first read this I thought you were going to talk about the town called centralia or something like that. The ground underneath it really is on fire, its an old coal mining town and the coal vein caught fire. Anyways there are a few people still living there but most moved out and the state and federal government bought those homes and land up. I have never been there but I hear its a pretty cool place to go.
Saw that on one of the cable channels not to long ago - the Travel Channel or Discovery or something like that. Really eerie!
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #298
ImSuck

i found a gun once looke like a 12 guage it was pretty cool. looked fairly new also but i already have one so i didnt feel like grabbing it.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #59
[QUOTE=Grewe02]No such thing. Eat **** and die.[/QUOTE]

lifted with some extra's
......sold
ImSuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #299
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've heard about that also, but what I'm talking about, is a hole about the size of a golf ball with a flame about two foot high. It musta been burning for 100 years! doug

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #300
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i've been there a few times. There really ain't much to see anymore, a torn up stretch of highway

an a big ole hole in the ground

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.