Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 11-18-2005, 02:03 PM   #16
blackZZR

I grew up in a airforce family, so I have seen a few of those remote places with warning signs. I will tell you they are not abandoned and someone is watching you, but if you drive off they leave you alone.
if you ever fly over some of the deserts in the southwest you see roads going out to square cleared areas with very small buildings and a square or circle by it. Take a guess, underground missle silo.

blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:06 PM   #17
In the open

Not Wheeling but we found a fresh tapped keg in a lake. It was a good party spot and had gottin bust an hour before we got there. We turned around in the car and our headlights shined on the top with the tap sticking out of it in the lake. We jumped out and waded in and pulled it out. We loaded it up and took it home and had a hella party. Free full keg-o beer
Mopar rock rails,15x8 eagle alloys
[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149388]Our Jeep pics[/URL]
In the open is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #18
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
I was out in the woods in northern Cali the other day and came across a huge USAF radar facility. It had three, mile-long, hundred-foot tall steel-and-wire antenna arrays with control buildings at the center of each of them but no fence around it (except wooden fences around the antenna structures) and nobody around. There was a sign that said "OTH-B Radar, Northwest Air Defense Sector, Segment 5 Recieve, Facility 15" (each of the three buildings showed a different segment or maybe facililty number, I don't remember, and the middle building had two giant sized satellite dishes pointing to the eastern sky). This is nowhere near any military bases. I would have at least thought there would be a security guard or something!

The place was kind of eerie out there in the middle of nowhere and apparently abandoned, but it was obviously well-maintained.

A friend of mine said he once found what he believes is an old missle silo inside a chain link and barbed wire fence out in the woods, also in northern Cali, but he couldn't remember how to get back to it to show it to me.

What strange things have you found?

Where oh where was that? I'm assuming it was somewhere on your reno-to-alturas geo-cache oddesy? Closer to Alturas? do you have gps coordinates or directions? gotta check it out. thanks
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I found a recliner once. Too bad I was on my dirt bike and not in the jeep. also in eerie northern Cali.... weird.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
Where oh where was that? I'm assuming it was somewhere on your reno-to-alturas geo-cache oddesy? Closer to Alturas? do you have gps coordinates or directions? gotta check it out. thanks
Here is a page with some pics I found doing research trying to find what this place is (Over The Horizon - Backscatter Radar).
http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/TuleLakeAFSCA.html This page only shows one of the facilities, but there are actually three there, about a mile apart in the woods.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!

Last edited by CraigAllen; 08-11-2006 at 05:38 AM..
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #21
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
I found a recliner once. Too bad I was on my dirt bike and not in the jeep. also in eerie northern Cali.... weird.
I did too. We were riding along on dirt bikes and my buddy fouled a spark plug. I told him I'd ride to the truck and get one and be right back. When I get back he is all weird acting and showed me a recliner that had blood all over it. He was skeered.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #22
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have seen lots of old refrigerators, freezers, washers, driers, stoves and other household appliances, but don't consider those "unusual." A dead body or a crashed WWII airplane, now THAT would be unusual!
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #23
eagleno49
throbbing member

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
I did too. We were riding along on dirt bikes and my buddy fouled a spark plug. I told him I'd ride to the truck and get one and be right back. When I get back he is all weird acting and showed me a recliner that had blood all over it. He was skeered.
That is why I always kept an extra one in my toolbag
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #24
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm... once we found a 33x1250 tire mounted & with pleanty of tread...

Another time we went out to our local wheeling spot & found 3 stuck pickup trucks... in group of VERY easy mud holes. The first guy was a stock height 2wd Chevy, and his buddy got stuck in a stock F150 trying to get him out. The 3rd truck barely made it where they were. I pulled them all out, and they shared some beers with us... turned out they had been back there all day drinking & shooting thier guns.... the next day the cops had our whole wheeling spot shut down & we haven't had the stones to go back there since

I'll be Savvy someday!

Last edited by neZZr; 11-18-2005 at 05:21 PM..
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:05 PM   #25
Fat_Man

Well, I wasn't wheeling, but it was still kinda cool, sorta. . .

Found an old TV circa sometime probably in the 60's or 70's or so, and also found a big old iron bar. Took a swing at the thing, and it bounced right off! Took another swing. . . SAME RESULT. . .

Finally, threw it at it like a Javelin. . . that worked! I swear the noise it made probably echoed for MILES. Sounded like a CANNON going off!

Anyway, that is about the best I have. . .
Fat_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #26
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleno49
That is why I always kept an extra one in my toolbag
Oh me too. Trouble is the putz that I took riding fouled like 3 plugs and I was out! He was a puzz.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #27
RedWrangler04

We were out wheelin on some of my buddies land way out in the boonies. We were also shooting our guns and we came across this old *** giant propane tank, like one you would find on a mobile home, at least a 100 gallon size. Tapped it with the butt of my rifle and sure enough it was probably 1/3 full. Well I was shooting a custom accurized 7mm Magnum with a 8-16x leupold vari-x scope and some hot hand loads. We went back about 500 yards up this hill. Laid down prone popped the bi pod scoped it in adjusted the elavation for the distance pulled the trigger and holy hell it was like a 500 pound bomb going of it blew the tree next to it apart about 3 foot in diameter and probably 50 feet high just clean took it down. Mud and dirt rained down at least 200 yards from the spot of the container. Needless to say we were like that was freakin awesome. We now once a year go find a old gas grill tank spend 15 bucks having it filled and go shoot it in the same spot.

Thankfully the nearest house is about 2 miles or so away.
RedWrangler04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #28
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Uhh well nothing too interesting but when i was wheeling on the beach I found a ton of 20-50 year old truck chassis with engines axles etc on them. There is a place at the top of the dunes of the road that fixes trucks and i think they just threw their scraps right off the bluffs onto the beach. or the bluffs eroded and some of their trucks went with it! It's kind of an eerie rusty truck grave yard. No usable items tho, all the axles are rusted out and whatnot because they've been on the beach or 30 years. -Ian
Green Jeep Club Member #172
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member # 23
Green 1995 4 Banger
If only my pocket was as green as my Jeep :D
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #29
tcourdin

Thats a cool story. Explosions....
Unread 11-18-2005, 04:45 PM   #30
gary c
1981 CJ5 

One long week end, more years ago than I want to remember, a small group from our club were going up a canyon in the south part of Death Valley. We came around a bend in the canyon and saw an old blue and white school bus off the side of the trail next to some shacks. A bunch of people started coming out of the shacks. They had long hair and all were dirtier than we were. They stood along the trail and stared at us as we drove past, they were a spooky bunch of people but they never said anything to us.
we found out a little while later that those strange people were Charlie Manson and his infamous family.
gary c is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.