Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 194 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #2896
cameron2012
2008 JK Wrangler 

Drivin thru the woods gettin to my tree stand in Scott GA i came up on this old ice cream truck its rusty looks like an 80 but not sure

cameron2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2897
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK4Three View Post
Great Thread ! I come back to read a few pages every month or so. As mentioned earlier, there's little tangible California history much older than 100 years, except for the tourist traps. I'm jealous of you guys in the East.

I came across these cabin ruins a couple years ago on the Palomar Divide road, an easy mountain trail near San Diego. I researched it and turns out it is a mining cabin built around 1930 for the Ware gem mine, used into the 50's. Made of local rock and cement, but no roof remains. The mine entrance is closed off. Also interesting, but not as visible, just a short hike away, there is a ground level covered cement water tank fed by a catch basin presumably used by the miners. I believe it was marked with a 50's date. It's always full when I've been there and newer galvanized piping has been installed. I'll take a pic next time. There's some rusty mining remants in the area, but nothing major.
Here is some info about that place:

http://www.mindat.org/sitegallery.php?loc=3557
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #2898
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yup, I saw that too. Also, it's been for sale for the last 4 years, only $199k for this fixer upper:

http://www.sdlandandloans.com/pdf/pr...CA%2092086.pdf
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #2899
JOExFROMxNY
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Man, you guys got some cheap land there. My 40' x 100' property sells for $400,000 today. What a rip-off. But then again, 1/2 hour by car, and I am in the middle of NYC.
JOExFROMxNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #2900
Jam86
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well it took me a few days to finally read every page in this posting and I loved the majority of it even the BS.

So my story happened back in 07 the girl I was with, my neighbor Josh, his wife Stacy, and I got up one morning and we all headed out to either Folly's beach or Isle of Palms down around the Charleston, S.C. area.

My girl and I took our 95 XJ and the neighbor took his 2000 (I think ) WJ on the way back we were racing and we decided we would hit up some trails over at the Naval Weapons station in goose creek. I was in the navy and stationed there for school and the neighbor was a coastie so no problems being on base.

Well they have some off road areas around Marrington Plantation on the base so we hit them up and had fun for a few more hours. We were leaving and found a pond off on the side of the road with 3 gators sitting out sun bathing. Josh and I parked and the girls were to scared to get out.

Josh and I walked up towards the edge of the pond the gators were still a few hundred feet away. Well we wanted to get a closer look and see how fast they'd swim in the water. We started throwing rocks in their direction hoping they'd think it was an animal or something and go after it. The best we got was a couple of hisses like we were pissing them off.

Stacey just starts screaming. Josh and I book it back to the Jeeps only to find out that she was screaming to get our attention because the base police were coming in our direction and she didn't want us getting caught throwing rocks, even if we weren't throwing it at the gators directly.

So the base guys stop and start talking to us asking questions about why we were there and normal crap. We chatted for a little bit and I asked them if they knew were Charlie's place was. They gave us directions and off we went.

Now Charlie I had heard about almost has soon as I showed up. Legendary 16 foot gator that had gotten stuck in a drainage pond. He had swam in to the gated off pond and got to big to swim out of the tube. Of course you hear a lot of rumors about him eating a student or varying lengths and weights he is. I wanted to see for myself.

So we drove there and looked through the fence which had a sign conveniently saying Charley's place or something to that effect. Looked around and saw a bunch of baby gators. Finally a gator crawls out but if I had to guess I'd say it was about 8-9 ft and I figured maybe that was him.

All 4 of us were just kind of looking around when the same cops showed up. They asked if we had seen him. I said yea and I pointed to the gator I thought was him. They told us that's not Charley. They kept looking and finally they said they be back in a little bit.

About 15 minutes later they showed up and asked josh and I to give them a hand. They gave us some gloves and we pulled a deer out of the back of their truck. It'd been hit on the side of the road on base. We threw the deer over the fence and the 8-9 foot gator started crawling over to it. About the same time has this gator got to the deer we saw a bigger gator head pop up in the water.

Cops said now this is Charley. We watched him swim at a decent pace to the shore and bolt up out of the water. The girls jumped and screamed because it almost looked has if he was going to run at us. Anyways that's my story... not really unusual but I find it interesting.
Jam86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #2901
JK_Driver

2010 JK Wrangler 

So Jam86, you left out the most important part.... just how big was Charlie ?!
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #2902
Jam86
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_Driver
So Jam86, you left out the most important part.... just how big was Charlie ?!
Oops hmm well it was a few years ago but I'd have to say roughly 12-13 feet. Honestly its hard to guesstimate those kind of things, its not like I could lay next to him and see if he was more than two of me lol
Jam86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #2903
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colockum View Post
Went for a little snow trip and found ERT. He looks so friendly!

Nice I found him on New Years Day hahaha
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #2904
eagle61
1998 ZJ 

i was out wheeling and fishing. i had my favorite lure on the line and got snaged. so i went into the water to get it back . i hooked/found a reel of copper wire about 150 lbs .(dont know how it got there ) then we left there and we were wheeling through a swamp my friend got out to lose a beer and steped on an old riffle
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #2905
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Many years ago a friend and I sneaked back to an old abandoned strip pit for some fantastic bass fishing. His crankbait got hung up big time and when he finally yanked it free, it came back with a big glob of long hair wrapped in the hooks.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Vote here for the November Cherokee Of The Month!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #2906
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Many years ago a friend and I sneaked back to an old abandoned strip pit for some fantastic bass fishing. His crankbait got hung up big time and when he finally yanked it free, it came back with a big glob of long hair wrapped in the hooks.
Mermaid?
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #2907
Supertramp11
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I found a perfectly suitable computer chair in the middle of a trail once. id give anything to know how and why it was there.
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #2908
Supertramp11
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle61 View Post
i was out wheeling and fishing. i had my favorite lure on the line and got snaged. so i went into the water to get it back . i hooked/found a reel of copper wire about 150 lbs .(dont know how it got there ) then we left there and we were wheeling through a swamp my friend got out to lose a beer and steped on an old riffle
man you shoulda scrapped that copper. they pay like 4 bucks a pound for that stuff!
Unread 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #2909
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp11

man you shoulda scrapped that copper. they pay like 4 bucks a pound for that stuff!
That's exactly what I thought when he was talking bout it!
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #2910
Supertramp11
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont_24 View Post
That's exactly what I thought when he was talking bout it!
yea man i work at a tranny shop when theres nothin to do we just sit around and strip copper wire, cash it in and go out to lunch. haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.