Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 193 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #2881
HitowerInc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJeeper16 View Post
Whatever you were smoking I don't want any
Alright, this thread needs new "real" stories. Definitely my favorite thread ever.

HitowerInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #2882
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
This may sound paranoid, but think like a pot grower if you go through the door. They boobytrap everything. There could be something rigged to the door for unauthorized personnel. Take a couple friends. And take pictures.
True. Found quite a few nice booby traps when I came across a small grow op on the far side of my farm five or so years ago. Nothing that would have killed me instantly but certainly traps that would have either badly injured or infected me had I not known some of the telltale signs of a grow op. Look for paths, side paths (sometimes multiple...growers make the one they use look like the least-traveled if they even leave a trace in the first place), camoflauged tools/buckets, sod piles and trimming piles. Sod piles are particularly indicative as most growers will carry in their own organic soil and remove a similar amount of sod wherever they intend to place a plant. Usually you will see these things before you see traps or even the plants themselves.

Then again, thinking like a pot grower requires you to smoke copious quantities of extremely potent marijuana. Maybe not the best decision when walking into an area with booby traps.

Growers that really know what they are doing won't barely leave a trace that they were even there. Experienced growers don't use traps as they can get their plants to flourish amongst similar colored plants/foliage...never to be recognized even by a trained eye or nose. I've been shown other ops on friends/neighbors properties that I could have walked right past in broad daylight and never spotted a thing. I stumbled across the grow op I described while tracking a huge buck I've been farming for a few years. These guys were clearly not very bright. Dad found a similar op on another part of the farm just after we moved in around 20 years ago. Now there's regular sheriff flyovers and whatnot that seem to keep them at bay.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #2883
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Whatever you were smoking I dont want any
well, it was kind of subtle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitowerInc View Post
Back in high school days, me a buddy and a couple of girls were out riding around in my dadís CJ one Saturday night. It was probably like 1 or 2 in the morning and we hit the woods and river bottoms. We get back in the middle of nowhere pretty good and decide it looks like a good place to hang out for a while. We are all just hanging out bsín and off in the woods we notice this faint light. Now were we are thereís not any houses or really any reason to be out there unless your some kids like us. So we decide to creep towards the direction of the light as far as we could with our lights off and park it and start walking towards it. As we are getting closer we can see itís a lantern hanging on a tree branch and thereís a guy with his back turned to us on his knees kind of crouched over like he is looking at something. Now we being the dumb teenagers we were decided it would be a good idea to sneak up behind him and see what he was doing. We crept up on him super quit, so quit we didnít make a single noise and got up behind him and he is leaning over a dead clown and has his arm in his hands just chewing away on it like it was the last good piece of ribs left in the world. Now we have some knives and sticks and stuff and we are pretty creeped out so my buddy yells out Hey! The guy just looks at us like everything is normal and kind of motions the arm he is chewing on towards us like he is offering us some. Now we are really freaked out and we say Hey wtf? And the guy just looks at us and says, does this taste funny to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitowerInc View Post
Alright, this thread needs new "real" stories. Definitely my favorite thread ever.
I'm with ya on that one. With all the wild jeepers on this site I know there's more crazy experiences out there waiting to be told.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #2884
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
well, it was kind of subtle...

I'm with ya on that one. With all the wild jeepers on this site I know there's more crazy experiences out there waiting to be told.
oh I get it eating clown and it tastes funny .... wow
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #2885
Bigisland1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Whatever you were smoking I dont want any
I'll second that!!...
Bigisland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #2886
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
oh I get it eating clown and it tastes funny .... wow

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #2887
lostinIA
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughes2013 View Post
think i saw that on an episode of dexter once. She was innocent, but slightly crazy...
It was very strange in retrospect. We didn't think anything too bizarre of it at at the time, were more concerned that she would wander into the swamp or get hit by a car.
lostinIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #2888
Lamont_24
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was riding snowmobiles at my friends cabin in Michigan and his cabin butts up to the national manistee forest which is 150,000 acres of nothing but trees and a few trails. We were about a mile from the cabin an just crossed into the forest and found a cement block foundation that was tiny. If you picture an average sized bathroom that's how big it was. Just the foundation. Trees were growing out of it now. Just kinda weird to think someone was going to live there and why they didn't complete it.
[COLOR="Indigo"]Purple Jeep Club member #13[/COLOR]
Lamont_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #2889
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is the wrong thread to read right before you try to go to sleep. Some creepy **** in here. I'm kind of afraid to go into the woods and down dirt roads now. Which sucks because we have lots of dirt roads around here. You guys are ruining jeeping for me.
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #2890
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

About 2 weeks ago I was with my gf in my tj just cruising around the desert in bullhead city, az. We're going on all these random dirt paths. I drove up over this steep hill and on the way down we see 2 CAT diggers and a old mine hole that looks like it hasn't been touched in years. Everything was all there, even a few metal gas cans. It's was interesting to say the least
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #2891
XJ-JekL
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My family and I went on a 16 day camping trip at Kool Lakes in Garrettsville OH. I was probably about 11 years old. My buddy and I were exploring way in the back of the 20ish acres they had. They say total of 2 lakes, but we found a third It was behind of really think brush, and I mean THICK. There was small 5'x5' old rusted tin shed standing next to it. Looks like there may have been a pier there decades ago. Of course we had to check it out and it was wall to wall filled with random ceramics! about 4 feet deep! WTS??? Is up with that. well, me being 11, started going through them and found an elephant that my mom would like so I took it. Carried it all the way back to camp an gave it to her and she started to clean it up and screamed. You know how most porciline(sp?) has a hole in the bottom of it? Well a mole rat had crawled into this particular piece and had a littler or 4 fur-less little nastys! <- thats what naked mole rat are, BTW )) Needless to say that was one souvenir that didn't make it back.

Down the street is Nelsons Ledges, GREAT hiking through the caves. Awesome camping, lots of rasta-fests and shows there. "Hippie friendly" Mostly dead-heads, flower children, and boomers go there. Still, awesome scuba diving in the quarry and hiking, but no trails :\
XJ-JekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #2892
ATLTempe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dynamite thread.
Way back when about 1978, with a 1968 Nissan Patrol that was my first 4wd rig. I lived for a while in Montrose Colorado and we'd go exploring random dirt roads. Once we followed a road along the Uncompagre river and came up on an abandoned mining camp or ghost town. About a dozen buildings, mostly intact with windows and roofs that kept out the weather. Found some newspapers dated to the 30's, a wood burning stove. There was a wheel house with the remains of a very large winch, no motor. Accross the river there was a cable that looped over a large shiv about 100' up a cliff, right over a mine opening. I'm sure it's all gone by now, from what I understand the whole area got over run with the California equity boom.

I've been living in Arizona now for about 16 years. There are more magic places and suprises here than I could list. Can I get a witness!
ATLTempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2893
ATLTempe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8Hondas View Post
This is the wrong thread to read right before you try to go to sleep. Some creepy **** in here. I'm kind of afraid to go into the woods and down dirt roads now. Which sucks because we have lots of dirt roads around here. You guys are ruining jeeping for me.
Dude, really?
ATLTempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #2894
mbybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTempe View Post
Dynamite thread.
Way back when about 1978, with a 1968 Nissan Patrol that was my first 4wd rig. I lived for a while in Montrose Colorado and we'd go exploring random dirt roads. Once we followed a road along the Uncompagre river and came up on an abandoned mining camp or ghost town. About a dozen buildings, mostly intact with windows and roofs that kept out the weather. Found some newspapers dated to the 30's, a wood burning stove. There was a wheel house with the remains of a very large winch, no motor. Accross the river there was a cable that looped over a large shiv about 100' up a cliff, right over a mine opening. I'm sure it's all gone by now, from what I understand the whole area got over run with the California equity boom.

I've been living in Arizona now for about 16 years. There are more magic places and suprises here than I could list. Can I get a witness!
There are a LOT of ghost towns still standing in AZ, and it's part of what I love about this state.
I hope the Colorado ones are still around
mbybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #2895
JK4Three
2009 JK Wrangler 

Great Thread ! I come back to read a few pages every month or so. As mentioned earlier, there's little tangible California history much older than 100 years, except for the tourist traps. I'm jealous of you guys in the East.

I came across these cabin ruins a couple years ago on the Palomar Divide road, an easy mountain trail near San Diego. I researched it and turns out it is a mining cabin built around 1930 for the Ware gem mine, used into the 50's. Made of local rock and cement, but no roof remains. The mine entrance is closed off. Also interesting, but not as visible, just a short hike away, there is a ground level covered cement water tank fed by a catch basin presumably used by the miners. I believe it was marked with a 50's date. It's always full when I've been there and newer galvanized piping has been installed. I'll take a pic next time. There's some rusty mining remants in the area, but nothing major.
ware-mine-cabin.jpg  
JK4Three is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.