Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 189 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #2821
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken18r

To get there, you really need a hand held GPS. I dont know if you can input LAT/LONG coordinates into a car's GPS. If you can, well, have at it.
A smartphone will work too. I use an Android app called c:Geo that works pretty well. It isn't as accurate as a good handheld GPS unit but it works well enough.

p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #2822
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-saurus View Post
A smartphone will work too. I use an Android app called c:Geo that works pretty well. It isn't as accurate as a good handheld GPS unit but it works well enough.
If you want a good hand held GPS try the garmin 60csx. I have used it for around 3 years when I go wheeling in the desert her ein the UAE and it works great on road too.
It is about the size of a hand held radio and has very good tracking and route plannign abilities. The screen is a little small, but very clear and responsive to movement!
Unread 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #2823
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken18r View Post
Next summer, Im planning to find some huge locomotives that have been long abandoned also up north in Maine. Not quite sure where they are, but it will be a bit of an adventure to get to them
http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/history/allagash/rr.htm
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #2824
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
Yeah, Ive see that. I know about the history and I know almost exactly where they are, and Im pretty familiar where the trail head should be. The only thing Im not sure is how overgrown the trail is and what its going to take to get there from the "road". I know you cant drive up to the trains so it will be a bit of a hike in. The hike is going to be the big question mark
luken18r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #2825
codyjames
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, good way to waste a half a day. I read through the first 600 posts and just had to jump to the end to post my findings. Around my neck of the woods in New England, I come across your usual 18th-19th c foundation hole in the woods from a house destroyed long ago. The coolest things Ive found, werent really stumbled upon, but found doing some Geocaching. I was able to locate the B52 crash site that a few others here mentioned as well as a hole in the ground from a F101 crash also in the way north Maine woods. The B52 crashed in a snow storm into the side of the mountain and there are still some large pieces of the plane that is recognizable; cockpit, landing gear, etc. However, the F101 crashed straight down from high altitude and the only remnants are a good size water filled hole in the ground with some aluminum pieces scattered about. Next summer, Im planning to find some huge locomotives that have been long abandoned also up north in Maine. Not quite sure where they are, but it will be a bit of an adventure to get to them

Have you been reading Weird New England? I've heard about the B-52 crash as well as how they disposed of the plane. Have you ever checked out the crash site in the Quabbin State Reservoir? The story behind the locomotives is awesome that's definitely on my list of things to see.
codyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #2826
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjames View Post
Have you been reading Weird New England? I've heard about the B-52 crash as well as how they disposed of the plane. Have you ever checked out the crash site in the Quabbin State Reservoir? The story behind the locomotives is awesome that's definitely on my list of things to see.
No, I havent, but that seems like its something right up my alley. Ill have to put it on the ol Xmas list
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #2827
Jeepzj8
1996 ZJ 

Me and my dad were out riding in the desert in Utah and we came across a bunch of old graves, it looks like the people were dug up by coyote's. Then the same day we found this like 200 foot crack that was like 75 to 100 feet deep. Another time we were there in my zj wheelin around and we found like 6 old mine shafts, one of which has a jeep in the bottom of it, someone told me about it before but i forgot it was out there. A couple years ago we were riding up in Oakhurst California and we found an abandoned Pathfinder flipped on its side.
Jeepzj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #2828
bluecollarguy
1981 CJ7 

I think the two most unusual things i've come across have been a cat fish in a small mud hole in the middle of the woods miles from a river or lake and a stop sign in middle of woods part of the way up a trail(on a metal post and everything) which we took as a posted sign and proceeded to turn around backtracked(there was no cross path or logical reason other than that). it was just a weird object for the kc's to hit when out night wheeling and thinking you're coming to a road.
bluecollarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #2829
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, good way to waste a half a day. I read through the first 600 posts and just had to jump to the end to post my findings. Around my neck of the woods in New England, I come across your usual 18th-19th c foundation hole in the woods from a house destroyed long ago. The coolest things Ive found, werent really stumbled upon, but found doing some Geocaching. I was able to locate the B52 crash site that a few others here mentioned as well as a hole in the ground from a F101 crash also in the way north Maine woods. The B52 crashed in a snow storm into the side of the mountain and there are still some large pieces of the plane that is recognizable; cockpit, landing gear, etc. However, the F101 crashed straight down from high altitude and the only remnants are a good size water filled hole in the ground with some aluminum pieces scattered about. Next summer, Im planning to find some huge locomotives that have been long abandoned also up north in Maine. Not quite sure where they are, but it will be a bit of an adventure to get to them
Those would be the Eagle Lake Trains. Supposedly the trip isn't too bad. Let me know if you'd like some company, I've been meaning to wheel into them for a couple of years now. What's the 20 of that F101 Crash?
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #2830
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyBayXJ View Post
Those would be the Eagle Lake Trains. Supposedly the trip isn't too bad. Let me know if you'd like some company, I've been meaning to wheel into them for a couple of years now. What's the 20 of that F101 Crash?
Here is the story on the F101 crash
http://www.mewreckchasers.com/mayday.html

No directions to be had, but like I said, if you log onto Geocaching.com you can find the coordinates, or PM me and I can send them to you
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #2831
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

I was riding around with some friends on some local trails. He was in front and I was behind him with one other behind me and the friend in front came over the CB and said "guys, there is a huge concrete building up here". Sure enough, I rounded the corner and there was a huge cluster of concrete buildings. Only one had a window and through it you could barley make out what looked like an airplane. We began to drive on the trail that circled the fence (which has electric shock signs as well as radioactivity warning signs) and we came on an area of where there was a tunnel leading underground. At the end of the tunnel were two huge metal doors, one of which was cracked wide open. There was a eerie bluish glow in the room and we could see some form of container which had markings on it. Using the scope on my friends gun we were able to see that it was a container that contained some sort of radioactive substance. As we drove further down the trail, we encountered more signs that said " radioactivity next 10 miles" and one that said "radioactive area. Digging prohibited". Both of these signs were obviously very very old. Upon further research, this is what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia...aft_Laboratory
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #2832
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

That's crazy! i personally would want to check it out further but id kinda be scared of the radiation! you'd think if it was really dangerous stuff it would have been disposed of at some point..
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #2833
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJCHRIS
That's crazy! i personally would want to check it out further but id kinda be scared of the radiation! you'd think if it was really dangerous stuff it would have been disposed of at some point..
Just don't eat it and it won't kill you. Touch it you might have strange looking kids so I'd poke it with a stick :lmao:

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #2834
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Here is a pretty cool video from Youtube giving an idea on what they did there.

Sounds pretty sweet though, I wish I had some awesome job like that.

EDIT: I'm still wasting time watching videos about it on youtube lol.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dawso...5862?sk=photos

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2835
DrGrand
2003 WJ 

That stuff is exactly what we saw. It is much much more overgrown now. It almost appears that they purpously planted trees around it to hide it. Intresting area indeed. I am a bit hesitant to return though, because I am not sure if they guard it or watch it at all

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.