Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 187 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #2791
Bigisland1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

While 4 wheelin here on the Big Island of Hawaii, we were up about 9-10 thousand feet on the side of Mauna Kea and got to a Navy jet crash from the seventy's. Lots of wreckage scattered everywhere, Heard later that there was a body still there up to about 10 years ago... One of my favorite off road adventures!

Bigisland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #2792
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Back in the 1990's I visited Elkford, B.C. in the Canadian Rockies, to see my uncle. He took my sister and I out in his new f-250 4x4 to break it in. We ended up way out in the woods on a trail, and almost ran over a grizzly. My uncle slammed on the brakes and we slid right up to the bear, who was crossing the road. The hump over his shoulders was higher than the hood. He just ambled across the road and into the woods like he had no worries. Ok...I am a city slicker so that may only be cool to me.

Later, he showed us a burning coal seam, ignited by lightning. The ground around it was hot and kind of spongy. I remember the rocks in the actual fire hole were white hot and it was amazing to look at, like looking straight into hell. This is a link to a description http://www.tourismelkford.ca/Burning%20Coal%20Seam.html. It reminds me of that town burning in Pennsylvania.
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #2793
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDriver View Post
Later, he showed us a burning coal seam, ignited by lightning. The ground around it was hot and kind of spongy. I remember the rocks in the actual fire hole were white hot and it was amazing to look at, like looking straight into hell. This is a link to a description http://www.tourismelkford.ca/Burning%20Coal%20Seam.html. It reminds me of that town burning in Pennsylvania.
That town in Pennsylvania is Centralia (located in Northeast PA). Definitely an interesting to place to explore. I don't think as many roads and areas are open anymore, but definitely worth a visit. While you are near there, the area outside of Shamokin contains interesting "coal ruins" as well.

Here's a book about Centralia: http://www.amazon.com/Day-Earth-Caved-American-Tragedy/dp/0812971302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320444582&sr=8-1
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #2794
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

There are some amazing stories in here, but I have to agree with some of the other comments that pepper this thread: reading over some of these experiences makes me feel like I'll never be able to go exploring without a firearm again.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #2795
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
While hunting back in the mid-80’s near Naples, Florida, I turned a corner on a dirt road and spooked some guys unloading some ( ? ) from a plane and into a van. Thank God I was in my 4brl 351w Bronco and not my 6cly CJ5, nothing like the feeling of doing 100+ mph off-road and no bullet holes when it was all over. Pucker factor was very high!

Who said speed is over rated? Not me!
I know exactly the area you're talking about, in fact it used to be my favorite place to wheel when I lived in Naples.

The area is hundreds of abandoned of paved miles of roads in one of Americas greatest land scams. It's all state owned now.

"In the 1970s Golden Gate Estates’ abandoned roads, particularly Everglades Boulevard, were used as landing strips for DC-3s landed with South American drugs."

The crazy thing is that drug trade still goes on out there. A few years back my friend was out there as a helicopter making some sort of drop touched down and he too ran.

It's a cool area with some major history behind it

http://simplify3.wordpress.com/2007/...rious-history/

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #2796
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I came around a corner once onto some private property that separates public fourwheeling trails and it was the kind that was ok to ride on slow. but the owner nailed a ton of random things to trees everything from hub caps to headless raggedy Anne dolls. It was super creepy and every single leaf and stick or anything that was a plant and not a tree was picked up. Needless to say i didnt stay too long
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM   #2797
Mitchell420tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffham
Just read all of this over 3 days... BUMP FOR MORE STORIES!!!
I agree great stories there's gotta b more out there
Mitchell420tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #2798
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not too unusual. Found an old car while I was bird hunting the other day. Anybody have ideas about the model? Looks like an old Studebaker.

1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #2799
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The "V" on the hood makes me want to think a Cadillac.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #2800
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I didn't think of that. Maybe an old Chrysler logo?
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #2801
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

That is an early 50s Cadillac. I think it is a 1953 or 1954.
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #2802
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Found this old railroad between Roan Mountain and Hampton TN. Several old tunnels with the tracks still there, they look like they were all cut in by hand (and boomsticks). The one trestle is about 40 feet off the river and roughly50 yards long. The main steel beams are as wide as a sidewalk, but still scary to walk! It was also built with all the support structure underneath, unlike the other one. Any engineers able to tell me possibly why. And yes, you do have to walk over the top!

Unread 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #2803
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsteKuste View Post
Found this old railroad between Roan Mountain and Hampton TN. Several old tunnels with the tracks still there, they look like they were all cut in by hand (and boomsticks). The one trestle is about 40 feet off the river and roughly50 yards long. The main steel beams are as wide as a sidewalk, but still scary to walk! It was also built with all the support structure underneath, unlike the other one. Any engineers able to tell me possibly why. And yes, you do have to walk over the top!
That's Cool. The tracks look like a narrow gauge rail line tho. I wonder if it was used to get stuff from either a mine or fields to a depot to be loaded on a regular train.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #2804
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
That's Cool. The tracks look like a narrow gauge rail line tho. I wonder if it was used to get stuff from either a mine or fields to a depot to be loaded on a regular train.
You are right, it was used to transport iron ore and timber. The last bit of it was used sometime in the late twenties or thirties. I've talked to the family that used to own the logging company way back when.
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #2805
skip3

"... The main steel beams are as wide as a sidewalk, but still scary to walk! It was also built with all the support structure underneath, unlike the other one. Any engineers able to tell me possibly why. And yes, you do have to walk over the top!"

That's called a Warren truss. In most cases, they're built so as not to disrupt the view from the bridge. A truss is a truss - it doesn't matter which surface is used to travel on, or whether or not it's "upside down"

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
skip3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.