Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 170 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #2536
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post

I'm not a mod, and I don't play one on TV, but surely we can cull ourselves a bit better than that, can't we?

Sorry.....couldn't help it...........

War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #2537
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
I'm not a mod, and I don't play one on TV, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night and surely we can cull ourselves a bit better than that, can't we?
I like.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #2538
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

There is an easily accessible cabin no more than 20' off the side of a very easy trail just out of town, it has been beat up and worn down for many many years. Some friends of mine were looking through the cabin, and in one of the walls they found a newspaper from the 1800's, only one small line was legible, and it was a headline about a hanging that would occur later in the week. Pretty cool stuff, but my idiot friends lost the paper.

Another branch off that same trail leads you to a couple of barbed wire fence gates, this is national forest land, and no where is it posted "private property" in fact, I wanted to make sure it wasn't and double checked with BLM. At the end of this road, is another old cabin, not as old though, it is flat paneled instead of logs AND panel like the other one.

When visiting this cabin, it creeped me out what we found. It looked lived in! Shaggy carpets in the one room shack, some bit of organization, some canvas bags that were folded, a clearly visible sleeping setup, with a small dutch oven. and a fire place with GHETTO exhaust for it.

Out back of the shed, there was a rope over a tree branch, tied to a handfull of ammo cans, inside was dry pack foods, rice, beans, some flour, stuff like that, further into the woods, holes were dug, about 4' deep and 3x6 is, just about man sized. Three of these holes, maybe 30 yards in between, scattered and hidden. We didn't stick around to look for more.

1998 5.9 limited, DT headers, CAI, 3" exhaust.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #2539
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

not so much what i found, rather who i met:

when i was 16 i took my dads CJ 7 out to the Arizona Desert...alone...
of course i get in a jam and somehow manage to fry the starter solenoid. "CRAP!" i tell myself

I call my older brother because my dad is the last person i want to call at that moment.
my bro directs me to disconnect the positive wire from the solenoid and touch it to the other side (bypassing the solenoid) at least thats how i remember it. sparks everywhere...ok not the best idea. didnt matter anyway the motor didn't start.
Finally grow the balls necessary to call and confront my dad with the situation. by this time, the sun is going down...fast.
i walked the 5 miles to the trail head where i meet my dad who is driving a BORROWED chevy s-10...bone stock. somehow we manage to make it to the CJ, connect the recovery gear as best we could and begin our ride back. we were doing fine until we encountered an incline that the s-10 simply couldn't overcome with the jeep in tow. so my dad makes me get out and try to push the jeep while he hits the gas...all i get is a rock in the forehead. to which i remember thinking "yeah i deserve that."

my dad is on the phone with my uncle now. requesting backup as it were. it is now 1:30 in the morning.
before he could finish explaining what an idiot i was to my uncle we see headlights appear over the hill we were struggling on. it was a black ford bronco. driving it was what can only be described as the momma fretelli from the movie "The Goonies" same voice and everything...

we asked for her assistance and she reluctantly agreed. she seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. but she got us over the hill and we were grateful. i asked her what she was doing out in the middle of the desert this late at night...alone. and as i did i glanced into the back seat and saw a very very large, black sack lying across the back bench...
the lady scowled at me almost as if to say "you didn't see anything!!"
she then replied "im finishing some business." and just like that she took off down the trail! nearly ran over my foot!

next time i come across someone shady in the desert that late at night (hopefully never) ill know better than to ask questions.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2540
silbotta
1994 YJ Wrangler 

silbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #2541
toplessanddirty
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Billy.
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #2542
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

becky.

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #2543
mcneil
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93boomer View Post
today my friend and I went out to Castle Hot Springs Road and started rolling out the way of Crown King. we weren't going all the way up just out for a little afternoon jaunt in the desert. then we came upon a green bin upside down and off to the side of the road. curious, i got out and opened it up to find that i had scored myself some gold panning equipment!

yah i had a good day.
I realize it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of a find, but reasonably speaking, you came across a couple hundred dollars worth of well maintained equipment that ended up on the side of the road for one of three reasons:

1. Fell off a truck
2. Cached for later use/recovery
3. Pulled out of a better-hid cache by someone else, and left as junk

Either way, the guy probably knows about where it is (along that mile or two of trail), and probably would like it back. It is yours to keep now, but if you want to be nice about it, you should have put a note on a stick with a contact method (email), near where you found the box.

If he emails you and says "green box with 5 pans and a sluice", you let him come get it. If the guy writes it off as lost and you never hear from him, you keep get to keep it free of guilt.

You'd want him to do that if he found a box of your gear, right?
mcneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #2544
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

We found another old Titan II site while we were out yesterday. The steel dome of the missile control bunker was exposed so of course we had to take turns parking on it.

p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #2545
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

^thats tight. too bad you couldnt find a way inside
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #2546
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
^thats tight. too bad you couldnt find a way inside
Oh, there is a way. If someone cares to give me exact location, I can check the database and let someone in on the POE. Just ask, you shall recieve.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #2547
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

3157'24.43" n 11039'48.05" w
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #2548
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-saurus View Post
3157'24.43" n 11039'48.05" w
I'll see what I can do.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #2549
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know that there is an easy way in. The dome used to be underground and they excavated the area. The concrete pillar to the right in the first picture has stairs but they're filled in with dirt.
Unread 01-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #2550
tritt007
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
I found 2 people doing it in the woods on our last trip out. It was a work truck (one with the yellow lights on top) pulled into a "dead end" and both their doors were open. When we came up to that area, they closed both of the doors and peeked out the back window... the one head was directly over the other persons head which can only mean one real thing...

They must've thought they were safe from people going back there however because it has just rained and all of the holes and tracks getting back there were mud and muck.

Fun stuff.

yeh yeah, i ran into this couple bangin in a home depot rental truck of all things up in the woods , it was wierd, we pulled up she hopped off his lap pulled over a tshirt crouched in the truck an pretended to read a book, it was funny.
tritt007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.