Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #241
nodoor94

It wasnt while i was four wheeling but its pretty close. We drove my jeep up to the feild behind my friends house, got out at the woodline and started walking into the woods. I wasnt more than 65 feet into the woods and i step down and hear a *crunch*. I thout i just stepped on a beer bottle ( the rednecks who lived there before him didnt believe in 'the dump') but when i looked down i noticed a clear rectangle shape. After i flipped it over and beat back the swarms of ants that lived under it i noticed it was a jeep willys window frame. the one side with glass was alredy shattered and the other side had nothing.

But wait the story gets better

The window frame has piqued my intrest. I press on. For the biggest pile of rust that i couldnt use, or take it sure made my day. I found most of the rest of the willys! (I think it was from the CJ-2 or CJ3A era). There were two axles with warn locking hubs, a hardtop wiht both sides, one door with the roll up window still inside (but shattered), the old hood with 'willys' stamped on it and the radiator and engine (no head, and full of water). Also the front grille was there and the front fenders sere attached to it, unfortunalty the two fenders and grill were pancaked flat and bent beyond any hope of recovery. However i dont recall finding a frame or most of the bodytub. There was no part of the jeep that could have been saved, it was all rusted through big holes and most if it had been bent and smashed flat over time. It killed me to see what could have been a sweet jeep go to waste. But it wasnt my friends property so we chose to leave before the grumpy woodland neighbors came looking for the source of the noise. I still want those lock out hubs.

Oh yeah, else where on his lot we found an old chevy buried under trash (1940's or 1950's) and a small block v-8.

The moral of the story is anyone who would kill a jeep like that is probabaly a godless redneck and if you want to find abandoned car, root around behind redneck houses because they dont seem to believe that the junkyard is the appropirate place to get rid of old cars!

94 YJ, 4.0L, 5-speed maunal, 4WDHardware 3.5'' lift, 33'' BFGoodrich M/T, JKS Quick-Disconnects, Rockcrusher Diff Covers for D30/D35, K&N FIPK Intake, Hesco Throttlebody Spacer, Silverstar Headlights, Warn Rear Bumper, Trackbars gone, Home-cut front bumper

[url]http://community.webshots.com/user/brentzimm88[/url]
[url]http://community.webshots.com/user/brentzimm888[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]Blue Jeep Club Member #194[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
nodoor94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #242
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoor94
The moral of the story is anyone who would kill a jeep like that is probabaly a godless redneck and if you want to find abandoned car, root around behind redneck houses because they dont seem to believe that the junkyard is the appropirate place to get rid of old cars!
Way back when, it was rather commen to just bury a car, my friends property has atleast 3 cars burried in the field.
Unread 02-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #243
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

I love this thread. Keep the stories coming!
Unread 02-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #244
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I found a bunch of old train cars, like old luxry coach cars...we were looking for them though, cause i read an article about them in Weird NJ. (a book about weird stuff in NJ) It was pretty weird. I have no idea how they got back there. There is know remnants of tracks or a RR bed and no trail big enough for a truck or somthing to bring them back there. It was a good time though.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #245
DonzRedTJ

Thanks for the stories.....I just killed 2 hours at work.
What a great way to get paid time and a half!!!!
DonzRedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #246
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen some stuff Like pretty cool old gold mines, military training, once on my way back from fishing sow a van that was discovered to have someone dead in it, but the oddest thing I think I've seen was on the trail was a Toyota.......that wasn't stuck. spoooooky
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #247
93yjeep

I was mudding one day and found three trucks, one stripped to the frame only motor left, one with a few things taken off of it but hit a tree, and one just stuck it was weird. Its like all the stages of a truck left out there!!!
93yjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #248
stickly
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have been on numerous trips to the woods and found many stolen trucks that have been stripped and burned. I found a 03 dodge ram and the front half was sitting in a pond and the rearend was sticking out of the water and they tried to burn it. It still had tags from the dealership here in town. Sombody didn't do a very good job trying to hide the evidence.

One time some friends and I were out riding along the saline river and in one spot by the railroad bridge there is a set of train axle and wheels in the water that can be seen during the summer months. The train ran off the bridge about 20 years ago.

There is always the redneck trash piles you come across. Couches, tv's, appliances and beer cans.
stickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #249
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickly
One time some friends and I were out riding along the saline river and in one spot by the railroad bridge there is a set of train axle and wheels in the water that can be seen during the summer months. The train ran off the bridge about 20 years ago.
In 1968 a Southern Pacific train derailed on a curve near Horse Lake in northern California and it was in such a remote location that they left numerous freight cars in the canyon where they landed. I've read about it and hope to go out and see them someday; you can get to them by following the old railroad bed where the tracks were removed several years ago. But local ranchers have put up cattle fences across the old roadbed at their property lines, and even though I've been told by a railroad guy that the local land owners can't prohibit you from being on the railroad bed, they still don't like it when you are crossing it on their property and the guy who owns this particular property apparently doesn't take too kindly to people crossing his territory on the roadbed.

Nevertheless, I plan to try and find out where he lives and stop in and introduce myself and ask permission first. Who knows? He might say yes.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
CraigAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #250
grandman97
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigAllen
Nevertheless, I plan to try and find out where he lives and stop in and introduce myself and ask permission first. Who knows? He might say yes.

or he might shoot u in the face
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #251
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandman97
or he might shoot u in the face
True -- nothing like gunbarrel diplomacy. Maybe I'd better find a Jeep girl to go ask him while I check out the railbed in his back forty.
96XJ Sport 4.0 Auto CommandTrac, Chrys. 8.25, 1-3/4" BB, WARN HS9500 winch, WARN Body Armor front & rear bumpers, tire carrier, rock sliders and transfer case skid plate. 30x9.5 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's. As of March 10, 2011, there are 205K miles on the clock and she's still good and strong!
Unread 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #252
jello
2005 WK 

definetley one of the most interesting threads i've ever read on a car related forum. But hey, not many vehicles could access these areas other than in a jeep.
(formers)98 Jeep Cherokee sport atx(white jeep club member #59, 02 Jeep Liberty sport.
93 Ford Probe GT mtx, Trophy winning show car with alot of mods, custom paint
jello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #253
schmoken

We found this stuff last summer in the Medicine Bow Mtns, WY.

Some old mining stuff?

This was welded shut, sticking out of an almost vertical rock wall....

And this was the coolest. He couldn't have been 20 ft from us. Just stopped and looked over at us then kept wandering up the road.

schmoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #254
articulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy
I love this thread. Keep the stories coming!
I have no story, because all I did was find these pants. They must tell their own story:

Found at an old ghost town, lying just like that.

Hmmmmmmmm.....?
articulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #255
CraigAllen
1996 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=schmoken]We found this stuff last summer in the Medicine Bow Mtns, WY.

Some old mining stuff?

Looks like the undercarriage for a crawler crane, shovel or dragline to me. Probably was used in mining in the area. I am amazed at how many old pieces of caterpillars and other tractors are found in the woods... like they broke down and the company couldn't afford to fix them or haul them out so they just left them there ... if I had a way of cutting them up and hauling them off I bet I could almost pay for my gas in scrap steel recycling money!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.