Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 161 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 08-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #2401
R0cket
1930 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Found this wheelin

We figured it was someone that broke their axle shaft, had to walk out, and someone came by and stole their stuff. Came back a few weeks later and found this

Now we were thinking it must have been stolen a few weeks ago, guys took it up here screwing around, broke something or parked it up there to strip the tires the first time, and everyone else that came by in the next few weeks took the rest of it off.
where was that? cause right around that time.. i think in May, i had to abandon my TJ on a trail near the springs because of a sheared shaft.... i only left it over night then rescued it the next day.... i was soooo nervous that whole night. but it was untouched when i returned

Unread 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #2402
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeeps85 View Post

I always wanted one of those.
There was a guy down in San Filipe Mexico that had two of them he used to take people out fishing on.
Might be a little tough as a daily driver tho'.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #2403
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One time my friends and i were out wheelin and i came across an old nuclear test site. We looked around and things were weird. All of a sudden we realized that one of my friends was gone. We looked around for him and ended up finding him dead, eaten. We were scared and looked around and there were hillbilly retards that looked like they lived on the nuke sight before the nukes so they were deformed. They were savages and tried to kill us all. The chick that was with us was taken to their leader so he could do the nasty an have babies......Thats my story.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #2404
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler1997TJ View Post
One time my friends and i were out wheelin and i came across an old nuclear test site. We looked around and things were weird. All of a sudden we realized that one of my friends was gone. We looked around for him and ended up finding him dead, eaten. We were scared and looked around and there were hillbilly retards that looked like they lived on the nuke sight before the nukes so they were deformed. They were savages and tried to kill us all. The chick that was with us was taken to their leader so he could do the nasty an have babies......Thats my story.
Wow! So did the hills have eyes too?
RJC#512
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #2405
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler1997TJ View Post
No pics, didn't happen.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:37 AM   #2406
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It wont let me post pics for some reason like it usualy does but i do have pics.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #2407
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
Wow! So did the hills have eyes too?
haha yes it does.
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #2408
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRotorhead View Post
I always wanted one of those.
There was a guy down in San Filipe Mexico that had two of them he used to take people out fishing on.
Might be a little tough as a daily driver tho'.

damn what were thay fishing for
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #2409
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
damn what were thay fishing for
They had a big canvas shade cover on it and the floor was built up so you could cast over the edge. The Gulf of California rarely gets any waves near San Filipe. When the tide goes out, the gulf is so shallow the water receeds almost a mile in spots. So they needed to be able to drive people back to town in it.
Pretty cool idea. No having to worry about tide tables.

Here's a pic of my Willys wagon right at the beach there. In the top pic you can see where the beach water line is at high tide. This pic was taken at low tide and you can drive out and pick up fish in the tide pools.
52-willys-.jpg  
RJC#512
Unread 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #2410
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hmm, what kinda gearing would I need to get my 2.5L to pull those on the highway ya think. And would my D35 be ok, aslong as I didn't "abuse it".

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #2411
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archy View Post
...Ultimately, I beat them to the gate and lock'em down at the river before they can even get to the gate,...
nice!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #2412
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
come on now dont say that, it makes me feel like wading out there to find out. then i would die of a heart attack if they were and my body would float downstream
well not sure what to say about that, so how bout I just tell another story that yours brought to mind.

Not all that long ago in the glory days, my bro and I had some scuba gear to check out so we headed to small pond towards the outskirts of town that came into existence before our time as a borrow pit for the interstate overpass over the train tracks that ran through town. Borrow-pit being the hole they dug to get the soil to make the overpass. It’s spring fed with cold clear blue water and serves as a local swimming hole for the kids. Nice isolated spot surrounded by cornfields and only accessible by going along the tracks; cutting across a small creek, then up a hill and down a dirt trail. Mostly foot traffic but also 4x4’s if it wasn’t too wet. The land was then owned by an old widow who lived on the edge of town, though I’ve heard she’s since died. A few of the local kids had talked to her and she said she didn’t care if we swam and fished there so long as we kept it cleaned up and decent which we did by usually taking out trash we found lying around. Though we never went there after dark, we knew there were night visitors as well because sometimes we’d find beer cans and remnants of campfires. Having swum and snorkeled there on hot summer days, I knew the pond was deep but no one seemed to know how deep. There was an old access road to the bottom that ran along two sides underwater gradually going deeper until out of our free-diving range. We were pumped at the thought of finally getting to unlock some of the places mysteries since maybe twenty feet was about as deep as we’d ever dared go before, so we started in on the shallower end and working deeper. The bottom dropped off steeply from the underwater road with scattered vegetation. Visibility was pretty good for mid-west diving opportunities. We found some pieces of mostly unidentifiable and likely broken equipment left behind when the overpass was done. Though it was midday, as we approached the deepest part of the pond things got kind of like twilight as the sun struggled to penetrate and the water was very cold in spite of a wetsuit. I was glancing at my compass to make sure we didn’t circle back in the half-dark when something bright almost glowing suddenly caught my attention towards the far bank which is pretty much sheer cliff all the way to the top. We worked our way over and soon realized that there on the bottom of the pond in nearly fifty feet of water was a spiffy looking white Bronco II upside down, bumper towards the bank in classic “drove into the pond, sank nose first, and rolled forwards on impact’ position. It was pretty clean and sleek looking; not torn-up, and complete with nice set of BFG AT’s on Outlaw II rims. It looked as if it had been on dry land only that morning or yesterday.

I started getting the creeps, likely a combination of the cold, semi-darkness, and seemingly completely out-of-place-ness of it. This is not where one would expect to find a nice vehicle. I looked at my brother and found his eyes as wide as mine, respirations increasing and bubbles going everywhere. We did a quick recon noticing a license plate in place and expiring that very month. The doors were locked with windows up and tinted. Lighting was dim and we had no flashlight. Every plant or seaweed moved aside raised a cloud of silt and we soon managed to stir up enough that with visibility down to a couple feet we had to hang on to each other to keep from getting separated. We looked at each other and both pointed upwards in the same instant then soon after surfaced gasping for air and shivering from cold and excitement.

We bailed out and headed for home wondering what to do. We figured that if we reported it, the local sheriff would soon be there with a dive squad, swat team, and full media crew and whatnot, and the end result would likely be all of our pals losing access to a great fishing and swimming hole. So we kept it to ourselves saying it was likely stolen and dumped, even if it didn’t appear damaged or stripped.

That Bronco was surely in a place where no one was likely to ever find it. It stayed in our minds though and we couldn’t help wondering if maybe someone had been night fishing and maybe drinking and had accidently missed the path, driving into the pond instead. The windows up and doors locked thing was troublesome because it didn’t jibe with an intentional sink. I wrote the license plate number in my divelog book but in those days had no way of checking up on it without surely having to do some explaining.

After a few weeks the waning summer and thoughts of somebody being still inside there with their family wondering their whereabouts forced us back to find out, this time with flashlights and a tool to break glass. I was surprised how much harder it was to find this time with the shiny paint now silted and algae starting to take hold. We hovered carefully so not to disturb and noticed that down in the weeds the very back window glass was either open or missing. I slipped down there as gently as possible to stick in my flashlight and saw CD cases and assorted other junk lying on the roof in the cargo area, but couldn’t see far in the murky water. This was getting creepy again yet I couldn’t turn back now without knowing so I worked myself through the window which was no easy task with an air tank on my back. With hasty retreat no longer being an option, I fumbled along the upside down roof under the back seatback straining my eyes and half groping for whatever lay ahead and was quite relieved to find no one there ahead of me. Another short crawl and I was in the front looking at the windshield. Slowly I turned over, just knowing there was going to be a bloated nasty corpse floating up in the floorboards. Thankfully this wasn’t the case though and the dang thing turned out to be empty.

We didn’t go back again until the following summer nearly a year later. This time we had to search hard to find the old beast. Mother Nature was fast at work absorbing the evidence and the Bronco was well on its way to becoming artificial reef habitat. The entire thing was covered with algae or moss and the weeds grown up around it. We left it alone. Today several years later, my money says that old Bronco is still there, long forgotten for the most part. I’ve not been back. The whole thing was a bit too surreal. But I sleep well at night knowing the Bronco rests alone.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #2413
_Kyle_
1996 ZJ 

Can't say I've ever found anything useful - but I've found a lot of really cool things like landmarks, archtitectural, and historical things that are buried in the woods at places.
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #2414
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
But I sleep well at night knowing the Bronco rests alone.
Cool story!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #2415
silbotta
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dirt- View Post
Cool story!
x2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.