Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2006, 09:31 AM   #226
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnguns
Last weekend I found this.

What's up with that
They should have driven it out!
If it was an H2 it would have still been in one piece.....because no one would have wanted anything off it

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #227
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram

What's up with that
If it was an H2 it would have still been in one piece.....because no one would have wanted anything off it
He probably just claimed it as stolen on his insurance.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #228
jeepnguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram

What's up with that
there is no way to drive it out, several large trees and ledges infront of if. It is about 1/2 mile to the nearest acces point. besides that both rear axle shafts broke on the way down at the flange. it was also a stock jeep, actually it might of had a rear locker since the spider gears were missing but that that would not help if the rear wheels are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
He probably just claimed it as stolen on his insurance.
I said the same thing Heck it might of been stolen.
Dana 44s Detroits w/ 5.89s
38" Swamper SX
Lots of other random things and dents
jeepnguns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #229
calamari

Not on my own, but when I was in high school I went on a cultural exchange and lived with a French family. They had an East German ex-military jeep of some kind and we went wheeling in the back woods. We saw an old abandoned church, and up the trail a ways he pointed out a natural spring that had been used since the middle ages to baptize people. It had a cross somehow forged into the rock above it that had obviously been there for quite a few centuries.
Unread 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #230
Peccavi18
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I was young early 80's my grandfather had an old truck that we used to go travel through the woods in. One day we were driving on some land a relative had just bought down a trail that wasn't even wide enough for the truck, running over saplings and small trees and stuff and we came came around this corner and almost hit a drag line. The thing was monsterous especially to a kid. We managed to get around it and parked the truck in the bucket and could open the doors no prob. Inside it was still in really good shape and the outside didn't look bad either, don't remember why it was just left there.
Another time on the same plot of land just on another side of it we are driving down a trail that is alot more open and a duck runs out onto the road with something red sticking out of it. it tries to fly but can't, so we stop and chase it for a bit till it tires and sits down here it has a crossbow bolt (arrow) sticking out of it. We caught it and pulled the bolt and it instantly flew out of our hands and away.
Another time I was with a friend wheeling our trucks on his land and he gets high centered so we stop to get him going again and we saw something glimmer along the trees so we walk over and find 3 fishing poles and 2 tackle boxes that are packed full of gear and a pair of womens underware. They had been sitting there awhile cuz jagger bushes were growing to them. So we each got a new pole that day.
-pecc
Peccavi18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #231
Traveller

Damn, where to start. I found some wreckage to an old WWII type bomber in Oregon. Just bits and pieces of aluminum, and most of an old radial aircraft engine.

An old VW Bug in the middle of a forest. I have no idea how it got there, I couldn't get there in my Blazer, either the bug was driven there before the fifty foot trees were planted around it, or it was dropped from an airplane or chopper.

Found an old fallout shelter in the mountains in So Cal, two steel doors, and two ladders leading down to a large concrete room. I salvaged a table and two chairs from it which I still have.

Last month I found two old guns laying out in the desert in West Texas. The first was a Reminton single shot rifle, the other was a J Stevens single shot shotgun pistol. The wood on the rifle was rotted away, but the metal parts aren't bad. I was able to clean the pistol enough to break it open and get the hammer and trigger to work, but the firing pin is still stuck tight.

I also found several belts of .50 cal ammo and two horse skeletons in the same general area as the guns.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #232
Drew_Jeep14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiram6
Around 1983 or so, my friends and I all had CJ-5s and went wheeling almost every weekend. Usually old logging or fire roads. Somehere southwest of Roanoke VA (have no idea where, it's been 20 years) we were on a fire road in the Appalachian foothills. It was no longer maintained, and was pretty overgrown. Well up into our trip up the mountain we see what looks like a bus way off in the woods to our right, but we keep going without stopping. We all had CBs, and were asking each other "did you see that?" and we planned to stop on the way back unless we found another way out. Well we get to the top, see the old firetower (disappointment, they had removed the stairs) and start back the way we came. We get to the place where we saw the bus and stop to check it out.

60's vintage school bus, but painted flat black. Had a porch built onto it, and many windows boarded up. On a post about 20 feet from the bus was a deer skull with a broad-tip arrow sticking out of it. The bus hood was up, no engine or radiator.
Lots of old garbage around, I remember seeing some rusted Pabst Blue Ribbon cans.

Anyway, one of my buds sticks his head in the door, and yells for us. The bi-fold door had been replaced with a screen door. Inside were bunks, and a sink area. Someone had obviously lived here for some time.

Then we see the knives. Many knives. Had to be 20-30 of them. Looked like about 6-8 inch double-edged blades in wood boxes.

Being chicken**** teenagers, we got the hell out of there, but we did have enough wits about us to mark the spot on the fire road. We tied my buddies red Nebraska Cornhuskers sweatshirt to a tree right next to the trail.

We called the county sheriff, gave him the details, and told him where to find the sweatshirt. About three weeks later, we were told "we can't tell you more than this, but we closed an old case because of what you found."

Kinda creepy.
nebraska... alright!
Unread 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #233
fried_gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETROV

found these - not sure what they are.
Sorry if this is answered but I'm not going through 13 pages of posts. Those look like old rotary fermenters used in making wine
fried_gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #234
Bot

So my buddies and I were wheeling in the back woods of PA and kept hearing some whistling. Soon we came across a bunch of people standing parrel along the trail. All had their pants down around their ankles.

SO basically we wheeled between a bunch of bare asses. 5 on each side. It was pretty funny but not sure why these people were that deep in the woods.

Sold 2005 Rubicon 3" lift, 33 MTZs, Superwinch, A to Z bumper and rock rails
Bot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #235
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I found this while wheeling today:

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #236
FromHereDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose_God
This thread reminds me of the urban exploration kind of stuff. Or rural exploration, as the case may be. This stuff sounds like fun:http://www.uer.ca/forum_showcats.asp?fid=1
my friend does that, ive been with him a few tiomes, it is f***ing intense, really gets the adreniline going
FromHereDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #237
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
I found this while wheeling today:

Holy hell! what's the story, don't tease!!!

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #238
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalhoosier
Holy hell! what's the story, don't tease!!!
Just a couple of moron kids. They said they could make it through anything, we said "Betcha can't make it through that."

They didn't. It took 3 jeeps to pull them out.

1999.5 Ford F250

Youtube

Twitter
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #239
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

These are the only other pictures I have, until my friend figures out how to use photobucket.

1999.5 Ford F250

Youtube

Twitter
Unread 02-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #240
MoochsXJ
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnguns
Last weekend I found this.

talked to the BLM Ranger and it had been up there for about 2 months. It rolled off an off-camber road into a deep valley. The hardtop or what was left is about 100yrds up the canyon. It has been stripped pretty good. I can say that only the axle housings which are bent, the tranny and engine block are left. every thing else is gone. I would like the tranny but I am not carrying that thing out.
At least you find cool stuff still in tact, every vehicle I find has been burned and then spray paint by bastard kids with horrible spelling and grammar.

the one immedately above my XJ is a rolled, burned YJ, above that is I think a Dodge pick-up again rolled and burned.

Misc. Jeep stuff for sale/free
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664793
MoochsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.