Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 153 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #2281
f100ranger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

holy freakin crap i would poop my self^^^

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #2282
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaza View Post
First off I really enjoyed this thread, although halfway through I had to start skipping pages. While doing some wheeling about a month ago my brother found a Jeep just sitting off to the side of a trail. A couple weeks later he went back and the Jeep was still sitting in the exact same spot and he could see somebody sitting in the driver seat. He walked up and knocked on the window to see if everything was alright when he noticed the decay. The body was badly decayed and apparently had been there for several months based on the missing person report the cops found. Next to him was a suicide note.
whoa **** that

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #2283
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Whoops.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #2284
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Northern Mi Lows are 10K an acre.
Where the hell are you shopping? We bought 9 acres for just under $10k a couple years ago.

2005 WK Limited, 5.7 hemi, QDii, aFe intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Taylor shorties, Diablosport tuned

1999 XJ Sport, trail rig, lots of goodies
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #2285
NorthWhiteWolf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
Where the hell are you shopping? We bought 9 acres for just under $10k a couple years ago.
Grand Traverse County (Williamsburg to be exact).
Unread 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #2286
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose this isn't unusual on an off road trail. But hey. It used to be a Toyota pickup or SUV. It's at the bottom of a big hill (see build thread) so I suppose that could have been part of it's demise contrary to what usually happens to stolen cars down off road trails.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #2287
300grand
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I can still find land in rural Ohio for $1,000 or at the most $1,500 an acre.
You couldn't PAY me $1000 to take an acre of land in Ohio!
300grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #2288
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300grand View Post
You couldn't PAY me $1000 to take an acre of land in Ohio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300grand View Post
Isn't Columbus the meth capital of Ohio
I'll tell ya what, I'll drop you off out around Flint (where my ex-wife is from) and you can see the real meth capital.

The ex's family actually wants to move there and only had to pay like $5 an acre.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #2289
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaza View Post
While doing some wheeling about a month ago my brother found a Jeep just sitting off to the side of a trail. A couple weeks later he went back and the Jeep was still sitting in the exact same spot and he could see somebody sitting in the driver seat. He walked up and knocked on the window to see if everything was alright when he noticed the decay. The body was badly decayed and apparently had been there for several months based on the missing person report the cops found. Next to him was a suicide note.
My brother found something similar to this, although it was while he was hunting. But he drove his jeep, so I think it counts for this section. Anyways, he was heading out to a spot he thought might have some deer, and smelled something nasty. he tried to follow the smell, and found a guy sitting in a lawn chair, two empty six packs next to him, a 44 on the ground, and the top of his head half gone. he had shot himself under the chin, and had started to decay, which is what my brother was smelling. I cant imagine finding that. I'd flip out.
marksman1941 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #2290
GroundAssault
2006 TJ Wrangler 

(500th post...yay) We were out exploring in the Jeep and found an abandoned prison. It was neat but I couldn't get the better half to get out and explore with me. It looks like there is a lot of stuff the state just left. I did not take anything but pictures even though I would like to have the desk! Looks like every door has been kicked open and you can get into the cell blocks, dining halls and where ever else you would want to look at. Hope you guys enjoy the pics

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
GroundAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #2291
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundAssault View Post
(500th post...yay) We were out exploring in the Jeep and found an abandoned prison. I was kinda neat but I couldn't get the better half to get out and explore with me. It looks like there is a lot of neat stuff left. I did not take anything but pictures though. Looks like every door has been kicked open and you can get into the cell blocks, dining halls and everything. Its actually pretty sweet.
So freaking cool. I love Urban Exploration.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #2292
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Urban exploration has got me spooked lately. I used to do it a lot. I came up on an abandoned cold war era military base (a decent sized one). It had multiple barracks, a movie theatre, and many many other structures. I went back in there a few times, both in the night and day, just to explore. The last time though, there were fresh trenches dug everywhere extending out from many of the buildings, and there were fresh tire tracks in the tall grass. While on foot, approaching a building, I thought I heard footsteps in the grass. I motioned to my friend to stop and listen. I then heard a loud metallic click about 50 yards off in a patch of trees/ foliage. In my mind it sounded like a gun being charged into battery. I took off about as fast I have ever moved in my life and literally dove back into my topless jeep. My friend, however, didnt take off like me. He just froze there, and didnt know I was gone until he heard the jeep start 50 yards away (probably <10 seconds after I took off, lol).

I dont know if scrappers were digging for copper power lines, or if someone was running some kind of illegal operation out there. In any event, I have never gone back, nor have I done any more exploration of abandoned properties.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #2293
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Urban exploration has got me spooked lately. I used to do it a lot. I came up on an abandoned cold war era military base (a decent sized one). It had multiple barracks, a movie theatre, and many many other structures. I went back in there a few times, both in the night and day, just to explore. The last time though, there were fresh trenches dug everywhere extending out from many of the buildings, and there were fresh tire tracks in the tall grass. While on foot, approaching a building, I thought I heard footsteps in the grass. I motioned to my friend to stop and listen. I then heard a loud metallic click about 50 yards off in a patch of trees/ foliage. In my mind it sounded like a gun being charged into battery. I took off about as fast I have ever moved in my life and literally dove back into my topless jeep. My friend, however, didnt take off like me. He just froze there, and didnt know I was gone until he heard the jeep start 50 yards away (probably <10 seconds after I took off, lol).

I dont know if scrappers were digging for copper power lines, or if someone was running some kind of illegal operation out there. In any event, I have never gone back, nor have I done any more exploration of abandoned properties.
what happened to your friend? how deep were the trenches and how fresh were the tire tracks? sounds like a crazy experience.
georgia4x4in is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #2294
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia4x4in View Post
what happened to your friend? how deep were the trenches and how fresh were the tire tracks? sounds like a crazy experience.
He ran back to the jeep once he heard it start, lol.

The trenches were about 3 feet deep, and extended for about 50 feet from every building. They were clearly dug within a day or two. The tire tracks in the grass were definitely from the same day.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #2295
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow that's crazy. you really think it was people digging for copper?
georgia4x4in is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.