Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 149 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #2221
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

we get apachies (sp?) out at my house in the fall, they are looking for pot.

Unread 05-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #2222
Audi-Guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I just got to the end of this thread. Can't wait for more stories.

Too bad the majority of posts between pages 135-145 would have been better off as "Private Messages" instead of wasting space in this epic thread.

I haven't found anything great yet, just a few couches, microwaves, coolers. The only cool things I've come across weren't really "finds". My friend had a 2wd 2Dr XJ and loved wheeling with it, unfortunatley he got stuck a few times and I had to tow him out, one time was in a mud pit we had to come back the next day for it, and another time in a swamp.

When he got stuck in the swamp it was hilarious!! He was going to cross a stream (his theory was that if he went as fast as possible he wouldn't get stuck), so he gets a 20ft head start and floors it. To his surprise he hits a stump under water and it LAUNCHES his jeep into the air a good 5 feet in the air and slightly off to the right about 15 up the trail. My friend and I were laughing so hard I almost pissed my pants. As his XJ settles it's at a 45 degree angle just about to roll into the swamp next to the trail. They had to crawl out of the drivers door to get out, the Jeep started filling with muddy water and we couldn't get it out no matter what we did. We left to get more straps and when we came back I found a very large chunk of his wheel next to the stream. It had shattered when he hit the stump! We planned on coming back 2 days later but he got a call from the local PD in the meantime telling him to pick up his Jeep and pay his towing bill. The town actually cleared trees from the trail to get a tow truck in there and haul the Jeep out, it was a hefty tow for him.

Sorry it's not something I "found" but it'll keep the thread alive for another day.
Audi-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #2223
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #2224
Audi-Guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ha! I should show that to him, "Hey man, you know you weren't supposed to go in there....shame on you"
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #2225
MJDriver

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Back in the '90's, my uncle bought a new F250 turbo-diesel, and it needed breaking in, so he took my sister and I to a burning coal seam. It's been burning for years, from a lightning strike. It's located about 40 km outside of Elkford, B.C. Canada, near the border.

On the way up, a grizzly crossed in front of us. His shoulder hump was higher than the hood line on the fairly good height F250. Wish I had a camera.

The coal seam itself was like looking straight into hell. The rocks were all burned to a white color, the heat was pretty intense, and our feet were sweating from the heat given off by the ground. The ground itself was kind of spongey, from have the support burned out of it - not a good place to play around.

Anyway, you can see a picture of it here: Elkford Chamber of Commerce
MJDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #2226
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

people are finding such cool thing!!!! this might be dumb but how do you all go about finding things like abondened buildings and towns? do you just drive around till you find something or is there some type of website that has places listed or what? id love to start exploring these types of places but i have no idea where to start. im in boone, nc btw
Unread 06-05-2010, 06:21 AM   #2227
Audi-Guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure about the military bases, but you can search for ghost towns online to find some near you. Google it.
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #2228
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi-Guy View Post
Not sure about the military bases, but you can search for ghost towns online to find some near you. Google it.
you can search for some of the places, or sometimes you just come across places as your out wheeling. With me, it always seems like when I'm trying to go out and find somethin cool, i never find anything. When I'm just out exploring not doing anything in particular, i will find somethin, even if it's small
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #2229
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1979impala View Post
people are finding such cool thing!!!! this might be dumb but how do you all go about finding things like abondened buildings and towns? do you just drive around till you find something or is there some type of website that has places listed or what? id love to start exploring these types of places but i have no idea where to start. im in boone, nc btw
Message me.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #2230
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1979impala View Post
It's called Urban Exploration. I've scouted several ghost towns. Alot of times, it's just talking to people. Or look at maps. Sometimes it will list towns that don't exist anymore.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #2231
my1979impala
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yea ive been on a few UE sites but mostly they just tell me about some house that has burned down so theres nothing there anymore. besides that i havent really found anything around boone. i need to get a good map of the area and start driving around looking for stuff
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #2232
cherokee33s1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

found this after walking about 3 miles from were we stopped wheeling:

cherokee33s1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #2233
georgia4x4in
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow that's an awesome find. you go in?
georgia4x4in is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #2234
cherokee33s1991
1996 XJ Cherokee 

hell no haha i was too scared
cherokee33s1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #2235
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.