Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 129 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #1921
BftXJ

i love this thread

JCR stage 2 sliders
Detours Tailbone Tire Carrier
Flowmaster 40, dumped after axle
BftXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #1922
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have found many items of interest out wheeling. The new england area has alot of history and folklore. Quite a few locations I go wheeling have old house foundations far off the beaten path. There is one place in Cornwall Ct called Dudleytown that is haunted and has been visited by the Warrens who are well known ghost hunters. Just the name of the trail going up the mountain to it is eerie enough "Dark Entry Road". The story of Dudleytown can be found here.... Dudleytown, Connecticut - a New England Ghost Town I have personally camped there when I was in the boy scouts and experieced some wild and scary s***. Not a wheeling story but Im sure you will find it interesting. Heres my experience there....
My cousin and myself were on this camping trip with our scout troop. As night fell our troop began playing capture the flag at night with flashlights. As I ran off and was hiding at the bottom of a small waterfall ducked down I heard somebody walking towards me. Well the point of the game is if you can spot somebody with your flashlight and "tag" them in the light then they are out and have to go sit by the fire till the game has ended when either a flag is captured or a entire team is out of the game. Well I stood up and shone my flashlight towards the direction I heard footsteps and saw nobody. In that instant I heard footsteps DIRECTLY behind me and spun around quickly and once again NOBODY there. Very weirded out I called out to the others that I was leaving the game and returning to the fire so the others wouldn't give up their positions. Skip ahead a coupled hours... We all are settled in our tents which were all surrounding the fire pit. My cousin and I were sharing a tent. Later that evening when all but The 2 of us were asleep, unable to sleep we were talking quietly we notice a shadow pass the side of our tent. Thinking somebody had gotten up to go use the "restroom" lol, I called out "Hey whos up?" with no answer. So I asked again with no reply, so I peeked my head out of the tent. As I was looking out my cousin asked me "who is it?" I told him "nobodys out there". He replied "whaddya mean nobodys out there? I see the shadow right by our tent!" So I popped back into the tent to see what he was seeing and as god is my witness there was a shadow of a person standing between our tent and the fire. So now were are freaking out. We both pulled our pocket knives (as if that would help) and got out of the tent and threw some more wood on the fire and sat by it. Shortly after two others in the tent next to us got out and sat by the fire with us. They described a similar situation that happened to them a little earlier but were scared to get out of their tent until the heard us outside. The next morning we were scolded by our troop leader for staying up and feeding the fire so we told him what happened, as we were staying there for one more night. He basically told us we were nuts and said that we werent allowed to leave our tents at night but for bathroom breaks. The next night we heard people walking around the outside circle of our tents. Figuring we would get out of our tents and use the excuse of needing to urinate if caught we both got out to inspect the area with our flashlights. When we looked around again we found nothing or nobody around. Both nights we camped there we didnt sleep and both ended up sleeping on the hour or so ride home.
The weather is warming up here In CT and there are some places I will go back to that have some very interesting and peculiar things I will get pictures of. One is an old NIKE missle site in Plainville Ct. Some old homestead areas in the Burlington Ct area. Great thread btw and I cant wait to see what others have to contribute in the future.
erockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #1923
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

this thread is so awesome. ok heres mine. i wasnt wheelin cuz i didnt have my jeep yet but i was out exploring with friends. we came across an abandoned airport that still had a plane outside its hangar. we decided to check it out, the cabin door was unlocked so we of course opened it. there was blood spatter and brain matter EVERYwhere. it was bad. freaked us the **** out. so we peaced. as we were driving away we all turned around to look at it one more time and saw the ghostly figure of a captain leaning against the nose of the plane staring at us. then we get back on the outer road and he was standing in the middle of the road, there was no way he could have been a real person and make it that distance that quickly. needless to say we hauled *** and got the **** out of there
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #1924
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh btw. If there any ppl from the central Ct area that ever wanna go see some cool stuff (old farms, old home sites,etc.) Im always up for exploring. Also anybody from Mass in i believe the greater Boston area there is an old insane asylum in Danvers. Danvers state hospital. Coolest thing is there is a movie about it called "Session 9". In I believe Meriden Ct there is an old children's sanitaruim sp? In norwich Ct there is an old hospital that has many buildings on a very large peice of property adjacent to the Thames river and can easily be seen right off the main road. In the Burlington and surrounding areas there are many very old cemeteries. One is listed on an old map I had that is no longer a road and hasn't been found yet because its placement on the map would put it in the woods about an eight mile hike from the nearest house.

Please though people, if you go exploring anywhere in our country be mindful of private property and don't steal or vandalize. Don't give us offroad folks a bad rep. Bad enough we are all losing our wheeling areas. Lets not give property owners and the tree huggers fuel for their fires. Also please be careful and cautious where you go. The more off the beaten path you are the more likely you are to run into somebody or something that lives there that doesn't wanna be bothered. For example here in the northeast, timber rattlesnakes and black widow spiders are a extreme rarity, BECAUSE they prefer to live far away from where people venture. Example: old barns, caves, abandoned cars.

One other true story : A couple years ago I was up in a nice local area riding my atv( a Yamaha warrior 350 2wd manual) with my friends. We had driven my truck aways into the woods with my atv on back, unloaded it and the three of us were taking turns riding around the trails. Well as one of them come back he tells me" I found this trail up that way but it looks to be past my skill level". Well i decided being more experienced I would attempt it. As Im heading up its getting more rocky and slowly becoming more difficult. Unfortunately there is little to no room for me to turn around so i continue up the trail. I eventually come up to a opening apparently near the top of the hill and stop,shutting my quad off. I notice i hear nothing but birds chirping so i yell out a few times hoping my friends will respond to give me a direction on where to go. I begin looking around for an alternate route down due to the difficulty coming up. I spot another trail and take it. As Im going back down i see ahead of me a very out of place teepee style tent and can see smoke rising from a fire a few yards from it. The trail Im on is takin me roughly 20 feet from the tent. As i near the tent I come to an almost stop. Right at that moment i see somebody inside jump up. Well that was my cue to get the **** outta there. I peg the throttle and shift into second. I look back and see a very ragged man heading my way. When i look forward to focus on the trail it suddenly veers a 90 degree left turn into an off camber that my speed was gonna throw me off and down a small rocky ravine that woulda did some damage to me if i went down. In nearly racing precision i leaned hard left with the turn and tapped the gas to kick out the rear to prevent a roll and safely maneuvered the turn and finally made it to a path I recognized. As I got back to my truck and shut off my quad I said to my buddys "man am i glad to see YOU" and told them about my adventure. I was gone about 2 hours. Apparently after about an hour they were honking my truck horn and using a air horn to try to attract my attention thinking I lost my way. After the hour and a half or so they were considering calling other friends to start looking for me because they were getting concerned. When we arrived home and I told my Wife she wasn't too pleased and always made me carry my cell phone after that due to its gp tracking abilities in case I ever did get lost.

Sorry for the biblicly epic post but I hope you enjoyed it.
Unread 03-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #1925
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
this thread is so awesome. ok heres mine. i wasnt wheelin cuz i didnt have my jeep yet but i was out exploring with friends. we came across an abandoned airport that still had a plane outside its hangar. we decided to check it out, the cabin door was unlocked so we of course opened it. there was blood spatter and brain matter EVERYwhere. it was bad. freaked us the **** out. so we peaced. as we were driving away we all turned around to look at it one more time and saw the ghostly figure of a captain leaning against the nose of the plane staring at us. then we get back on the outer road and he was standing in the middle of the road, there was no way he could have been a real person and make it that distance that quickly. needless to say we hauled *** and got the **** out of there
This thread has more than ran its course. Time for a locking.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #1926
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
This thread has more than ran its course. Time for a locking.
Or you could unsubscribe, forget you ever saw it and go about your merry way.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #1927
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

^I like the way you handled that.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #1928
erockz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed........

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
This thread is by far the best on JF. If they dont like it they can move along!
Unread 03-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #1929
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Or I could make up outlandish ghost story bs and ruin whay was a great thread. You seem very accepting of that.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #1930
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Or I could make up outlandish ghost story bs and ruin whay was a great thread. You seem very accepting of that.
Its like panning for gold. You have to go through a lot of **** to find the good stuff. I for one am more than willing to dig thought it. And so are most the folks here. Plus every story, real or BS, is at the very least somewhat entertaining.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #1931
Mediarocker

I found an old chair and we tied it to the back of my jeep and pulled it around the dirt pit like idiots... our test rider almost fell off.. but he made it to 45!

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #1932
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

^Are we related?

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #1933
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
lol wasn't sure why you were calling for a lock, but didn't want to see it taken too seriously.
I guess I'm used to sifting through BS to pick out the gems and letting the rest go by like dust in the wind.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #1934
91Fun
1991 XJ Cherokee 

No trash on the thread please. Possibly the greatest thread I've ever read (rhyming!). Who cares if it's BS?! Do YOU go find interesting things every day? No? Then sit back and enjoy. Or go away. Your choice.
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #1935
frenchlayer
2010 JK Wrangler 

this is a great thread. I have had a ghostly encounter myself and so have a few folks I have met. It could happen.
frenchlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.