Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 117 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #1741
silbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrad1 View Post
It's at Hollister Hills OHV. I can't think of the name of the trail right now though
Nice, im 20 miles from hollister.

Unread 01-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #1742
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silbotta View Post
Nice, im 20 miles from hollister.
That's pretty cool. I live about an hour north and it's the closest place for me to go wheeling, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #1743
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

This wasn't wheeling but it may be if the ice freezes a little more. So yesterday a friend and i went ice skating on the maumee river. There is a large island across the river from my house that i have been around many many times but never been around in the winter. This island is privately owned and is pretty huge probably 3/4 of a mile long but mostly 50% of it is wetland. I have seen part of a roof once and new that there were some small structures on it but i was shocked at how big they were. Remember this is all on an island and there are no roads on the island and no real roads going down to the water. I have been around this so many times and had no clue this stuff existed. The trees are so thick in the summer. This is all about 30 feet of the shore but it is totally hidden in the summer.

Here is an arial view of the island and i circled where the buildings are.

Here is a birds eye view

Here is the first building it is about 30'x60' it looks like it had a first floor about 4 feet above ground level. Then on the north side it looks like there was a second story loft. There seems to be a full basement. There is a dirt ramp on the northeast side. As you can see its mostly collapsed and it is full of bricks and farming implements.

The second building appears to be a barn for storing a tractor and it also has drying racks for crops. probably about 25'x45'

This last structure is kind of odd. Its only about four feet tall and and the only thing i can guess judging by the small doors on the ends is that it must have been for pigs or some small livestock.

Then at the very tip of this finger of the island their appears to be a wall from a pier for docking a barge or large boat.

This is on the city side directly across from that

And on that same property is this absolutely enormous run down boat garage.

My guess is that whoever owned this island also owned that house in the picture with the boat garage. They probably stored a barge in the boat garage and this was a hobby for them. This island is very large but it does not seem like it would be profitable to farm on due to the horrible access. I have to think that whoever built this just had more money than they could use and built this stuff and farmed it as a hobby. Probably hired some farm hands to do most the work. Were guessing this was built in the 1930's

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.

Last edited by mcurcio1989; 01-10-2010 at 03:37 PM..
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1744
f100ranger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow a day and a half of reading and now its my turn!
i dont have any jeepin stories but me and my father were spraying our hunting fields and we barely hear a military chopper and we can see it way up in the sky and then it dissapears then all of asudden it comes out of no where and is just above the tree line circling us, we though they were gona land in our field! well later we kinda figured they were looking for mary jane

another time me and my friend we riding fourwheelers down the street from my house where we always have just hitting some mud holes and some jumps. well a few days before we were down there a model/hairdresser that had went missing, and no one knew what happened to her. well a few days later i come home from school and there is all kinds of cop cars rolling past my house (i live in the country we very seldomly see cop out here) well aparently one of the guys that was with the girl before she went missing lived right behind my house and the cops came back to question him that day and he freaked out and killed himself. well the cops investigate more and find a sucide note saying that he killed her and he put the body where he rode fourwheelers often, well they find the body where everyone rides there fourwheelers at and they said the body was dumped in the am of sat and me and my friend were riding there sunday afternoon so we pretty much drove past her and never new it and people still ride down there all the time and this all happened with in a mile of my house
Unread 01-11-2010, 12:19 AM   #1745
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

mcurcio1989 --- Nobody lives in that big *** house in the last picture?
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #1746
cwdrlove
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I'm gonna say pretty unusual there 918. That young-un will likely never make it to full maturity.
I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods and have only seen one full albino and one piebald. And never that close or been able to get pictures either. Nice!
If I remember right, I think Oklahoma law prohibits hunting an albino, of course poachers could care less.
cwdrlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #1747
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_C View Post
mcurcio1989 --- Nobody lives in that big *** house in the last picture?
No someone lives there but there not the same people who own that island anymore. That boat garage has looked like that for a long time i think its just to huge and to run down to do anything with.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #1748
RedHotChiliDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was offroading in the desert one time and I go to take a piss and I notice a hole in the ground. So I go over to it and wouldn't you believe it, it was Saddam Hussain!
RedHotChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #1749
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUGGE View Post
I was offroading in the desert one time and I go to take a piss and I notice a hole in the ground. So I go over to it and wouldn't you believe it, it was Saddam Hussain!
Haha and i would assume you then directed your stream into that hole correct?

Unread 01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #1750
CalebXJ123
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 View Post
Haha and i would assume you then directed your stream into that hole correct?
i'd hope so
Unread 01-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #1751
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bump
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #1752
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've posted this before elsewhere but figured I might contribute to this thread. Found this erected on a side-trail on a mountain out in nowhere.

While getting out to look at the flag, I also noticed a copper plate stamped into a rock under some brush. I didn't take a picture of it so I can't quote it exactly, but it was some government marker listing the date (1800s), elevation (can't remember), and the penalty for tampering with it. Geological survey I suppose.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #1753
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdrlove View Post
If I remember right, I think Oklahoma law prohibits hunting an albino, of course poachers could care less.
Some states have repealed such laws, though around here there's still quite a bit of hunter stigmatism surrounding such. Natural predators have little regard for hunting regulations though.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #1754
Smittyman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
...While getting out to look at the flag, I also noticed a copper plate stamped into a rock under some brush. I didn't take a picture of it so I can't quote it exactly, but it was some government marker listing the date (1800s), elevation (can't remember), and the penalty for tampering with it. Geological survey I suppose.
Did it happen to look like this?

I've seen a dozen of these. Pretty neat, and in the most random places.. This one was in Florida along the coast, that's why it says National Ocean Survey
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #1755
mitchconley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowardRubi06 View Post
Man that fish stuff is pretty freaky. My story didnt take place while I was in my jeep but I was on my 4-wheeler. About three and a half years ago a few friends and I were all riding one saturday on the creeks right next to the Black Warrior river in Alabama. We were in Brookwood which is about 10 miles outside of Tuscaloosa close to Rocky Branch state park right outside Brookwood. Anyway railroads used to run all through that area running to the old coal mines and such but all the trussels were burned down long ago. There are three old tunnels, the type that they cut straight through a rocky bluff all the way to the other side and it looks like a creepy cave. The biggest tunnel is about 110 yards long and it runs all the way to the river. Well it was getting later in the day and we were looking at all the creepy writing in the big tunnel when we decided to turn around and head back out. We had all heard the stories of the old Satanic rituals and such that used to go on there but we were kids and thought we were untouchable. Well the creeks have bluffs of rock usually on both sides and it was getting to be twilight outside, the magic hour as some people call it. Well I was in the middle of the pack when I look up onto the high bluff and see two men dressed in long dark brown robes with torches and hoods......I'm talking about the emperor from star wars type robe with a hood drooping so low you can barely make out their faces. Now my first reaction was you know, to scream and freak out and drive past everyone but I stayed calm and acted like I didnt see them. Well I quietly and calmly stop all of them tell everyone in the group that we are being watched and of course, they laugh at me. About that time we hear a horn blow. Not a car horn but like the medievil type of horns you hear when people are about to fight. So without saying a word we all started our atv's and drove as fast as we could to get out. Right before we hit the exit trail I look over and see sort of an old piece of paper nailed to a tree and it wanst there earlier because it stood out very oddly. None of the words were in english, but I could tell most of them appeared to be in latin. There were other words at the bottom of the paper and I later figured out that they were Aramaic because I remember what the writing looked like. I left that place and I have never went back since. They started blasting out there for mining so no one can get in there, which I say Thank Goodness. The lesson I learned from that ordeal was listen to the folk tales and stories older people tell you because there may be some truth to them.
ok so i know your post was like 4 years ago, but this one holds the record for the creepiest one on here that left me with the most vivid image in my head. i read about 80 pages. but this one wins. i want something like this to happen to me so bad so that i can have a memory that nobody will ever beleive, but i will always know the truth. i dont care if this is true or not but this one wins.
mitchconley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.