Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #1531
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

We came upon some guy that was crushed in a snow cave!

We were wheeling the devils punchbowl near Aspen Colo. when we came upon this guy that was fooling around in a snow cave.
It collapsed on him.
Here it is before total collapse.

Here is a part of the snow cave collapsing.
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vaA8sHeavCw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vaA8sHeavCw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Here I use the winch on the front of the jeep to winch the injured guy and the paramedics up to the trail. The paramedics were 4 wheeled in and out.

Here the injured is choppered out. He had to be jeeped several miles until a helicopter could land.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #1532
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
We came upon some guy that was crushed in a snow cave!

We were wheeling the devils punchbowl near Aspen Colo. when we came upon this guy that was fooling around in a snow cave.
It collapsed on him.
Here it is before total collapse.

Here is a part of the snow cave collapsing.
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vaA8sHeavCw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vaA8sHeavCw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Here I use the winch on the front of the jeep to winch the injured guy and the paramedics up to the trail. The paramedics were 4 wheeled in and out.

Here the injured is choppered out. He had to be jeeped several miles until a helicopter could land.
you sir are a good man! you are a hero (or at least should be) to that guy you saved.
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #1533
Lurchyr
1979 CJ7 

These stories are awesome!! I haven't been wheeling very long, so i haven't seen any unusual sights. However, while hiking, i've come across the usual old stone wells, abandoned/burned down houses with the token satanist graffiti. The only usable item i've found in the middle of the woods was a Scissors-Jack. There weren't any signs of wheeling activity, or camping, so i chalked it up to my lucky day.

Keep the stories coming.
Lurchyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #1534
macandwill
1998 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Jeremy_C;7855250] we started hearing what sounded like a woman screaming her head off. We just thought the baby crying was spooky, i swear to you, it sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder.
he said it was a panther.

I've heard a panther too, in the mountains in Arkansas. A woman screaming bloody murder is exactly how I would describe it also. Really freaky to hear in the dark in the middle of nowhere.
macandwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #1535
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblaze View Post
i kinda came across something....have a nice wheelin area about 3 miles off the main road...went up there with a buddy and 2 chicks....thought we were alll alone...well as night fell we started hearing people moving in the woods all around us.....i busted out the spot light and saw the reflectors of vehicles way back in the woods....there were absolutly no lights on or around these vehicles/ people.....execpt for little red lights that you could barely make out.....we had no clue how many people were there but they were moving in the brush and woods all around the clearing where we were....freaked us out so we left....

thought it had to be military using night gogles cause those woods are dense...normal people couldn't make the ground they were covering in pitch darkness....this is one reason i carry a gun and extra clips with me whenever i go out in woods

It was probably a Guard unit out on weekend drill. More than likely they were doing night maneuvers in a convoy formation. My unit does this occasionally. We'll just take the Humvees to the desired location by dirt road and then go straight into the woods following nothing but the map (The Humvees break brush really well and will go just about anywhere) The headlights are turned off. And the tail lamps are covered by a special cap with a small slit in it that allows just enough red light out so the vehicle behind you can stay in formation (aka- cat eyes)- that's why you could barely make out the light. The soldiers on foot are there for security and to help with navigation (night vision). This is nothing new though, my dad said he used to do this stuff back in the 70's with his unit (except they used Jeeps ).

Having a firearm while out in the boonies is always a good idea, but I wouldn't brandish it if you find yourself in the same situation again. They have much bigger weapons .
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #1536
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgamesxj View Post
best thing that I have found, was running atv's in Iowa, and came upon an abonded military base, found tank tracks,(the metal tracks they ride on), old concrete buildings, then on another adventure found an old scrapyard, on farmland, they had pushed old cars/trucks into the gulleys to stop soil erosion, I wish that i could go dig/pull them out, a lot of them still had paint, next to that was an old farmhouse or what was left.
we have a 56 Chevy in a ravine on the family farm. and a 72&1/2 Camaroe in a few pieces now
skeeterbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #1537
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was wheeling back in high school; long before I got my Jeep. I had Isuzu Amigo at the time. Anyway, Me and a few friends were up near South Boston, Virginia, wheeling on some old logging trails that connected to a large portion of land one of my teachers owned and gave us permission to camp on. We were way back in the sticks just before dusk. The trail became really narrow (had to fold the mirrors in). All of the sudden we came upon a clearing with an old rusty swing set in the center. There was also one of those Fisher Price plastic toy houses next to it (the thing was really faded and the plastic was cracking) and a bunch of other little play sets that you would find at the average playground. Everything was rusted and weathered.
We stopped and checked it out. All the vegetation in the clearing was dead and brown. There were old baby dolls scattered everywhere. Some were missing arms/legs and others had all their hair ripped out. Some of them were half covered up in the dirt...

Mind you this was completely in the middle of the woods. We had seen nothing before this; no old cars, old houses, old trash- nothing... And then all of the sudden here's this old playground in the middle of the woods. It was so random and creepy. At this point it was dusk and almost dark under the tree canopy. We all got back in the trucks very quickly and got the **** out of there. None of use talked about it until we got back to our camp about 4 miles away towards the main road. It's still one of the most strange and completely creepy things I've ever encountered . I still have no idea why it was there and I never want to go back haha
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #1538
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMasterCHS View Post
#3 This is also in Alabama, same area. We were outside on the porch at night time, just talking with the family. All of a sudden, we heard this noise I can only describe as howler monkeys/ dogs fighting.Went on for about 30 seconds.

It was pretty loud, and didn't sound too far away. Nearest neighbors are about 5 miles away. Grandparents say they have never heard a noise like it before or since.
Sounds like Coyotes. I would guarantee you that's what it was. I had a similar experience while in the woods once in South Carolina. At dusk my friend and I were sitting around our campfire when we heard what I would describe as the same exact sound all around us. I could hear lots of rustling in the leaves around us as well. It was really freaky. My friend was from the Midwest though and quickly said they were just a pack of Coyotes coming out of their den to hunt/scavenge for the night. After about 10 minutes they left and the howling and screeching stopped. I had never heard anything like that before.

Last edited by southbound; 09-16-2009 at 08:33 PM..
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #1539
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Sounds like Coyotes. I would guarantee you that's what it was. I had a similar experience while in the woods once in South Carolina. At dusk my friend and I were sitting around our campfire when we heard what I would describe as the same exact sound all around us. I could hear lots of rustling in the leaves around us as well. It was really freaky. My friend was from the Midwest though and quickly said they were just a pack of Coyotes coming out of there den to hunt/scavenge for the night. After about 10 minutes they left and the howling and screeching stopped. I had never heard anything like that before.
Now that you mention it, there is a good population of them up there....
BassMasterCHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #1540
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb76 View Post
This is out by the powerplant...I used to head out that way a lot, but after 9/11 I don't mess around there anymore. These are real photo's, not chopped:

It's big, you can see it on the sat image here:
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/#mvt=s&maxp=search&trf=0&lon=-80.556736&lat=40.597531&mag=6

Supposedly, a guy went swimming in the lake on a bet...all his hair fell out the next day.

just kidding.
it's full of lye. we have the same looking pond somewhere around me. they fill it with some byproduct that has lye i it and the dredge it out and give it to the farmers to put on the fields. its so blue becaus nothing can live in the water... and you couldn't get me to swim in it lol
Unread 09-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #1541
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostINohiO View Post
well here are some of my stories... apologize if they are hardly related to jeeping...

near my HS alma mater there is a road everyone claims to be haunted....

Wehr road....

there is a dark rural stretch of the road that is curvy and creepy LOOKING.... this is the part everyone THINKS is haunted....

the other part of the road on the other side of a big intersection is a shorter straighter section with more houses on it....

in between is a big creepy cemetery...

I am a believer... i have had several experiences....

but this particular experience still gives me chills...

(we used to use the short benign LOOKING stretch of Wehr road to get from my friends house in 7mile ohio to middletown ohio where we had several friends while growing up)

one HALLOWEEN NIGHT... i was hanging with my friend Rick (NOT a believer)

we get a call from middletown and it was like 130 - 2 am ... our friends wanted to meet up...

so like so many other nights we took off through the rural roads towards the city of middletown....

we casually turned left onto Wehr rd... and immediately we were struck with the fact that a thick fog out of nowhere just filled up the road...

so naturally we slowed down...

the next thing i know... rick is stepping on the brakes...

in the middle of the road SO CLOSE to us... is a HUGE Grey Horse with a rider who is cloaked in grey wool overcoat...

we pulled right up behind it... the hood ornament on ricks mustang was about to this horses tail...

it was so close ...

the horse never spooked, or waivered...

just plodded along slowly directly down the center of the road...

we looked at each other ( will never forget loook on ricks face)

and then looked back...

watched the horse and rider move about ten yards and then it just dematerialized as if a mist...

my grandfather was a horse farmer as are all of my uncles... i have NEVER seen a horse behave like that one...

most horses in the road will spook or get startled by a car driving right up... some will give way and move off to the side...

the rider on the horse never turned around... we never saw above the mans shoulders!!!!!!!!!!

i have to stop talking about it NOW. looked exactly like the back of a rather large confederate officer...

once while i was hiking i found 3 cedar trees senselessly chopped down...

i sat down and meditated on it... the cuts were really rough... i decided it was kids....

i meditated more.... i decided that if it WAS kids then they probably borrowed the tool....

then i realized that if it was kids who stole a tool they probably left it there rather than take a chance on getting caught returning it....

i got down and dirty and within five minutes i had found the old rusted out maul that was the instrument of the death of the cedars so many years prior... it was directly under the carcass of the biggest tree i had to crawl in to get it...

i was way off trail once and alone and my mind must have been deep into that state of meditation/ alpha waves because i just suddenly got the feeling that something WAS THERE! so i stopped and i brushed the leaves aside at my feet...

i saw a ring of metal and almost walked away because my eyes passed it off as a mere can top...

but i did a dble take and realized it was a bracelet... i pulled it out of the mud and it is a solid silver bracelet from mexico...

i still have it...

another time more recently i was practicing some meditation techniques atop the highest indian mound in butler county ohio.... about 30 minutes into a meditation after leaving a tobacco offering... i had a sensation wash over me that i can only describe as... " a color descended on me" ... this color was a pale blue green and it filled me with warmth and peace...

after my prayer/meditation ended... i walked through the fields to get to my vehicle... and a tiny speck of that particular color caught my eye...

i walked closer and out of my way... until i picked up a fragment of a robins egg... thinking : "this must mean something"....

as i took my 2nd step away from that spot i tripped on something and almost fell down... i looked at my feet and to my amazement there was an entire OLD skeleton of a deer complete w skull totally bleached by the sun...

a color during a meditation led me there...

i asked if i could keep the skull and i did not hear a no... and it felt right so i kept it...

i ended up trading the skull away to my shawnee indian friend in exchange for some sessions with his medicine wheel.

ok you can all call me crazy now....

but for some reason i seem to be one of those folks who is good at finding things...

i have found money so many times i lost count....

i found a hundred dollar bill folded up in a tiny square in downtown columbus ohio just a few yards away from half a dozen bums begging for change...

finding objects is kinda like bird watching some folks just have a knack for it.

as far as strange places off road....

search for the Moonville tunnel in or near athens ohio... that place really spooked me out... as do the ridges, state mental hospital there...

too many weird experiences to post.

fantastic thread

and yes im serious... im not the only one out there who practices finding things....
Ever been to fudge road outside of Gratis? one and a half lane chip and tar road. at one point there is a two story old farm house with an eight foot fence around it with razor wire and all the windows and doors boarded up, it also has so many lights around it that in the middle of the night it still looks like noon around the house. and the last time i was out there ther was a hog that looked to be about 500 lbs just wondering around in th fence. that place creeps me out

Last edited by skeeterbeater; 09-09-2009 at 12:02 AM..
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #1542
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

me and a buddy went to our favorite swimming hole on prebel county line road. pretty much in bfe ohio. while we were walking back we pass to guys carrying ar-15's. gave us a start but they seemed friendly enough. so we went back swam in the pond for a bit and then started pushing the canoe around in the pond a little bit. then we look up and see the guys again, still with guns, and not looking to pleased with our antics. so they ask us to come over to the bank. when we get to the bank they ask us who we are. after a short conversation they said good buy and left. i have never had a feeling like i was going to die like that day before lol
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #1543
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostINohiO View Post
well here are some of my stories... apologize if they are hardly related to jeeping...

near my HS alma mater there is a road everyone claims to be haunted....

Wehr road....

there is a dark rural stretch of the road that is curvy and creepy LOOKING.... this is the part everyone THINKS is haunted....

the other part of the road on the other side of a big intersection is a shorter straighter section with more houses on it....

in between is a big creepy cemetery...

I am a believer... i have had several experiences....

but this particular experience still gives me chills...

(we used to use the short benign LOOKING stretch of Wehr road to get from my friends house in 7mile ohio to middletown ohio where we had several friends while growing up)

one HALLOWEEN NIGHT... i was hanging with my friend Rick (NOT a believer)

we get a call from middletown and it was like 130 - 2 am ... our friends wanted to meet up...

so like so many other nights we took off through the rural roads towards the city of middletown....

we casually turned left onto Wehr rd... and immediately we were struck with the fact that a thick fog out of nowhere just filled up the road...

so naturally we slowed down...

the next thing i know... rick is stepping on the brakes...

in the middle of the road SO CLOSE to us... is a HUGE Grey Horse with a rider who is cloaked in grey wool overcoat...

we pulled right up behind it... the hood ornament on ricks mustang was about to this horses tail...

it was so close ...

the horse never spooked, or waivered...

just plodded along slowly directly down the center of the road...

we looked at each other ( will never forget loook on ricks face)

and then looked back...

watched the horse and rider move about ten yards and then it just dematerialized as if a mist...

my grandfather was a horse farmer as are all of my uncles... i have NEVER seen a horse behave like that one...

most horses in the road will spook or get startled by a car driving right up... some will give way and move off to the side...

the rider on the horse never turned around... we never saw above the mans shoulders!!!!!!!!!!

i have to stop talking about it NOW. looked exactly like the back of a rather large confederate officer...

once while i was hiking i found 3 cedar trees senselessly chopped down...

i sat down and meditated on it... the cuts were really rough... i decided it was kids....

i meditated more.... i decided that if it WAS kids then they probably borrowed the tool....

then i realized that if it was kids who stole a tool they probably left it there rather than take a chance on getting caught returning it....

i got down and dirty and within five minutes i had found the old rusted out maul that was the instrument of the death of the cedars so many years prior... it was directly under the carcass of the biggest tree i had to crawl in to get it...

i was way off trail once and alone and my mind must have been deep into that state of meditation/ alpha waves because i just suddenly got the feeling that something WAS THERE! so i stopped and i brushed the leaves aside at my feet...

i saw a ring of metal and almost walked away because my eyes passed it off as a mere can top...

but i did a dble take and realized it was a bracelet... i pulled it out of the mud and it is a solid silver bracelet from mexico...

i still have it...

another time more recently i was practicing some meditation techniques atop the highest indian mound in butler county ohio.... about 30 minutes into a meditation after leaving a tobacco offering... i had a sensation wash over me that i can only describe as... " a color descended on me" ... this color was a pale blue green and it filled me with warmth and peace...

after my prayer/meditation ended... i walked through the fields to get to my vehicle... and a tiny speck of that particular color caught my eye...

i walked closer and out of my way... until i picked up a fragment of a robins egg... thinking : "this must mean something"....

as i took my 2nd step away from that spot i tripped on something and almost fell down... i looked at my feet and to my amazement there was an entire OLD skeleton of a deer complete w skull totally bleached by the sun...

a color during a meditation led me there...

i asked if i could keep the skull and i did not hear a no... and it felt right so i kept it...

i ended up trading the skull away to my shawnee indian friend in exchange for some sessions with his medicine wheel.

ok you can all call me crazy now....

but for some reason i seem to be one of those folks who is good at finding things...

i have found money so many times i lost count....

i found a hundred dollar bill folded up in a tiny square in downtown columbus ohio just a few yards away from half a dozen bums begging for change...

finding objects is kinda like bird watching some folks just have a knack for it.

as far as strange places off road....

search for the Moonville tunnel in or near athens ohio... that place really spooked me out... as do the ridges, state mental hospital there...

too many weird experiences to post.

fantastic thread

and yes im serious... im not the only one out there who practices finding things....
Wow man, you really know how to stretch a story out...

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #1544
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviroberts View Post
it's full of lye. we have the same looking pond somewhere around me. they fill it with some byproduct that has lye i it and the dredge it out and give it to the farmers to put on the fields. its so blue becaus nothing can live in the water... and you couldn't get me to swim in it lol
Same here. Theres a similar one near me next to a gypsum/ drywall plant. Theres always excavators and barges in it dredging crap out.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM   #1545
skeeterbeater
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch View Post
JP Magazine pulled the track bar from one of their project rigs. They said it made the rear end "squirmy" but it was still drivable.

I could be wrong, it's been known to happen.
my track bar bracket is broken off of the axle... i would have no idea how that would happen

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.