Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling? - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Reply
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1486
Jeremy_C
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jacksboro Tennessee
Posts: 138
Went fourwheeling one night when I was in highschool. Around 99 or 2000. Doing some night wheeling, and decided to stop and make camp. We were all sitting around the fire talking, when we started hearing what sound like a baby crying waaaay off in the distance. Could just barely hear it, but we all got alittle spooked hearing this baby crying way out in gods country. Honestly, we didn't know what to do. Commen sense told us a baby wouldn't be out in the boonies screaming its head off, miles away from anything. We debated on trekking through the woods to find it, when all of a sudden it just stopped.

It was eerie how quite it had suddenly became, i guess because we were all concentrating on that baby crying when it stopped the silence was deafning.

So we stood around for alittle while still trying to figure out what was going on, when suddenly we started hearing what sounded like a woman screaming her head off. We just thought the baby crying was spooky, i swear to you, it sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. We all froze. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it. The way the sound carried and echoed off the ridges, we didn't know what direction it was coming from. Only thing we knew at the time was a baby had been screaming somewhere, and now a woman was screaming her head off close to us.

We got the heck out of dodge, went straight to a 24/hour store and called the police. The officer showed up and we explained to him what happened and he said it was a panther. He had no doubt in his mind, said he had seen one or two in that area before while deer hunting. That was my first, and hopefully last encounter with a panther.

__________________
1978 Cj7 360, Yellow.
Yellow Jeep Club member # 1982
Tennessee Vol Jeep Club # 1

Last edited by Jeremy_C; 09-01-2009 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Jeremy_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #1487
rpiereck
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_C View Post
Went fourwheeling one night when I was in highschool. Around 99 or 2000. Doing some night wheeling, and decided to stop and make camp. We were all sitting around the fire talking, when we started hearing what sound like a baby crying waaaay off in the distance. Could just barely hear it, but we all got alittle spooked hearing this baby crying way out in gods country. Honestly, we didn't know what to do. Commen sense told us a baby wouldn't be out in the boonies screaming its head off, miles away from anything. We debated on trekking through the woods to find it, when all of a sudden it just stopped.

It was eerie how quite it had suddenly became, i guess because we were all concentrating on that baby crying when it stopped the silence was deafning.

So we stood around for alittle while still trying to figure out what was going on, when suddenly we started hearing what sounded like a woman screaming her head off. We just thought the baby crying was spooky, i swear to you, it sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. We all froze. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it. The way the sound carried and echoed off the ridges, we didn't know what direction it was coming from. Only thing we knew at the time was a baby had been screaming somewhere, and now a woman was screaming her head off close to us.

We got the heck out of dodge, went straight to a 24/hour store and called the police. The officer showed up and we explained to him what happened and he said it was a panther. He had no doubt in his mind, said he had seen one or two in that area before while deer hunting. That was my first, and hopefully last encounter with a panther.
That would have freaked me the f*** out!
__________________

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #1488
ScreaminLJ
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 15
I really enjoy reading this thread

I would like to add a couple of mine even though they where on dirtbikes instead of in my Jeep.

I grew up in Southern West Virginia (Mingo County) and there is actually an abandoned burning mine in the mountains there as well. We always referred to it as "Devil's Breaks" because of the breaks in the trails that had hot air and gas coming out of them. We would always stop and stick our heads down in the holes. There was a story saying that some disgruntled workers set the fire back in the 50's but that was just here say. One time we found an entrance and threw a rock down inside. It sounded like it dropped at least 50 feet and then hit something metal. Talk about wheeling paradise down there. Miles and miles of old logging and mine roads. We also ran into tons of wild horses and dogs while on the trails.

Another place also in Southern West Virginia I stubled across is near my grandparents farm (Monroe County, WV). There is a trail that is actually labled as a state highway on the map that is strictly 4x4 access. One day around Thanksgiving, a few of us kids went out on the quads and stumbled across this house in the middle of nowhere way back in the woods. Like idiots we went inside and snooped around. Looked like an old hunting cabin but it just didn't "feel" right around there. We got out in a hurry because we just felt like we where being watched. When I asked my grand-pa about it, he said his neighbor told him that the house was an old pot colony house from the 70's. Story is that hippies settled in the area because they thought the law enforcement where dumb hillbillies but they all got busted. The house has just been sitting there ever since.

Good times!

Last edited by ScreaminLJ; 02-23-2010 at 03:29 PM..
ScreaminLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #1489
rpiereck
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreaminLJ View Post
We also ran into tons of wild horses and dogs while on the trails.
Wild horses in West Virginia, I would have never known! When I was there all I saw was really rugged terrain everywhere.

Not a wheeling story, but flying through the Mojave desert in California we saw bighorn sheep, mountain lions, and, surprisingly enough, packs with hundreds of wild donkeys.

The story goes that when the silver and copper mines when bankrupt in the desert of east California the miners went back home but released their now useless donkeys. The donkeys learned how to survive life in the desert and know all the water holes. There are packs and packs of wild donkeys roaming the desert.

Once we were following a donkey on this mountain with on an OH-58C helicopter, the donkey jumping from rock to rock like a mountain goat, they it went into this 30 foot deep, 200 foot long ravine and it was like donkey town in there! There must have been at least 50 donkeys of all ages there, all terrified of the helicopter, jumping around, all skitish. We had a good laugh and took off. This was back in 98, before I had a digital camera. I wish I had gotten some shots.
__________________

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #1490
mrcabinet
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 94
Over the years I've run across my share of abandoned cars, dead animals and old camps. But the creepiest thing I ran across was something we never saw.

One night back in the late 80's some friends and I loaded up a styrofoam cooler with beer and headed out to the desert to check out a place we'd been hearing about. On the map it was noted as Groom Lake. After a couple of hours wheelin' in our landcruisers we came out on top of a ridge and froze. In the valley below and coming in from the North were odd lights and these kind of wedge shapes that we could just barely make out in the moonlight. On top of that, the sounds coming from these shapes was just kind of a "whoosh" - no jet roar or prop sound.

Naturally, we decided to pull out the brewskis, climb up on some rocks and watch the show. After a couple of hours the lights just stopped, so we decided to leave the cans and coolers and started walking back to the rigs. As I got close to the driver's door, a deep voice from somewhere out in the dark said "You wanna pick up your trash and take it with you?" That freaked us all out. One of my buddies actually peed his pants! Someone had been sitting there the whole time watching us. Needless to say, we gathered everything up and scooted out of there.

It was the now infamous Area 51 that we were watching - which was still just a rumor back then. It wasn't until the first Gulf war that we figured out that the shapes we saw were the ultra-secret stealth fighters.
mrcabinet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #1491
rpiereck
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcabinet View Post
Over the years I've run across my share of abandoned cars, dead animals and old camps. But the creepiest thing I ran across was something we never saw.

One night back in the late 80's some friends and I loaded up a styrofoam cooler with beer and headed out to the desert to check out a place we'd been hearing about. On the map it was noted as Groom Lake. After a couple of hours wheelin' in our landcruisers we came out on top of a ridge and froze. In the valley below and coming in from the North were odd lights and these kind of wedge shapes that we could just barely make out in the moonlight. On top of that, the sounds coming from these shapes was just kind of a "whoosh" - no jet roar or prop sound.

Naturally, we decided to pull out the brewskis, climb up on some rocks and watch the show. After a couple of hours the lights just stopped, so we decided to leave the cans and coolers and started walking back to the rigs. As I got close to the driver's door, a deep voice from somewhere out in the dark said "You wanna pick up your trash and take it with you?" That freaked us all out. One of my buddies actually peed his pants! Someone had been sitting there the whole time watching us. Needless to say, we gathered everything up and scooted out of there.

It was the now infamous Area 51 that we were watching - which was still just a rumor back then. It wasn't until the first Gulf war that we figured out that the shapes we saw were the ultra-secret stealth fighters.
That mountain lookout used to be private land and you could see Area 51 from there. From what I gather the US Government has bought the land and made that hill inaccessible. That was the only point you could see Groom Lake from.
__________________

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #1492
fwlslyr
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 182
We had a wheeling spot in the 70's ans 80's called little mill. I was there when the cops towed out 16 stolen cars in one day. It was the sort of place where you stayed with your truck or else.

Those foundation shots from NJ are in Wharton State forest. There are several abandoned towns where either cannon balls or glass was made. They dug up a lot of pete bogs which later were turned into cranberry bogs.

Wharton is 125,000 acres of sand roads. We were wheeling in a very wet May when we came across a new Jaguar (Near High Crossing) about ten miles from pavement.What the ####! In it were a pretty blond, an infant and a pre schooler. She explained, with tears that her husband took the suburban with the older kids the long way but told her the short cut threw Wharton to get to the camp ground! These sand roads all start to look alike. We had her follow us back to pavement (Carranza Road) and on the way she proceded to beat the crap out of the car going threw very large puddles with water arching over the roof! Note we had five jeeps, one old bronco and a lot of mud on us and the trucks. I'm sure she was hearing banjo music.

WE had another famous spot called the port. Where they run the GreenBirar Enduro. I was out practicing in the late 80's by myself on a group of trails that were about 120 miles long. I hear all this growling and loud noise and thought some kind of wild animals were on my tail chasing me. Suddenly, a gorup of A-10's flew by at tree top level. Nearly #### myself. Further along the trail, the trees all turned to pine and were very close together with one tight turn after another. I come around another hair pin turn and all the trees are covered with xmas balls! Creeped me out!
__________________
75 CJ 5
AMX 401
Wrapped in Glass
Warn 8274, 34" LTB's, 4" Lift, Cheapo Aluminum Wheels, Home made Snorkel, Stainless Nerf Bars and airbox, Dual exhaust, fully locked 44's, CB, high lift, LCD tail lights, KC's.
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #1493
Canfourjeep
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canadian for now
Posts: 362
Wow

Everyone trying to out BS each other. HA HA
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #1494
1997_Sport
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Essex, Maryland
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_C View Post
Went fourwheeling one night when I was in highschool. Around 99 or 2000. Doing some night wheeling, and decided to stop and make camp. We were all sitting around the fire talking, when we started hearing what sound like a baby crying waaaay off in the distance. Could just barely hear it, but we all got alittle spooked hearing this baby crying way out in gods country. Honestly, we didn't know what to do. Commen sense told us a baby wouldn't be out in the boonies screaming its head off, miles away from anything. We debated on trekking through the woods to find it, when all of a sudden it just stopped.

It was eerie how quite it had suddenly became, i guess because we were all concentrating on that baby crying when it stopped the silence was deafning.

So we stood around for alittle while still trying to figure out what was going on, when suddenly we started hearing what sounded like a woman screaming her head off. We just thought the baby crying was spooky, i swear to you, it sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. We all froze. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it. The way the sound carried and echoed off the ridges, we didn't know what direction it was coming from. Only thing we knew at the time was a baby had been screaming somewhere, and now a woman was screaming her head off close to us.

We got the heck out of dodge, went straight to a 24/hour store and called the police. The officer showed up and we explained to him what happened and he said it was a panther. He had no doubt in his mind, said he had seen one or two in that area before while deer hunting. That was my first, and hopefully last encounter with a panther.
There are surprisingly a lot of animals that sound like women or children screaming. We have foxes here and when the cats get near there little ?cubs? they scream, normally its late at night while sleep and the scream wakes you up and you think its a little girl or woman getting kidnapped or raped.Then you turn the outside lights on it stops and you will see a fox running away and the cat is always at the door ready to go in. haha
__________________
1997 TJ with some stuff done to it.
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #1495
LKrux
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
middle of nowhere, CT

camp fock? hahah
LKrux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #1496
gmp211
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
Yum, why did you call the police? Are get the location and called when you got home? It could have been a girl who was raped and now other then finding her and possible getting evidence to get the person he is free to rape and kill others. If it was recent inform the police man.

Yeah its NJ and it could be the mafia and if it is nothing will happen but its better to just know that it was mafia then a 15 year old girl.
I did call the cops. I was talking to the chief of police and asked him if I could get in trouble. He said no so I gave my statement. He told me that someone else called it in and they didn't find the body yet. But there is some sciencey thing about a body floating so it gives some type of time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XbajaJeepX View Post
I'm sorry, but you are a ******.
When your 17 and wheeling illegally, you don't exactly think clearly. I called 2 days later. (I posted this the day it happened) You can't exactly judge until you've been in that situation. I still have flashbacks to that day and it freaks me out. I don't even like funerals...
__________________
2002 WJ - Forest Green
gmp211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #1497
98CherokeeLTD
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easton, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp211 View Post
I was wheeling at this sand pit that happens to have this lake that is 3 miles long. Well, me and a couple buddys stopped at the lake(its in the center of the pit). We were just looking at it and taking picures and stuff. Then I saw some shoes floating in the water. The first thing that came to mind is, "That sucks, dude had no shoes". Then we looked closer and it was a dead body floating in the middle of this lake.

We didn't call the cops or anything, but we left ASAP. I do live in NJ and my bet is it was the mafia.
I live in Jersey too, but I'm willng to bet it wasn't the mafia. Most of the time bodies found like that are a kidnapping ,or something along those lines, gone bad. Or a husband that got sick of his wife. I've been to enough places in Jersey to know that you gotta worry about gang activity more than mafia.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -XJguy- View Post
Damn pesky trees always jumping out into the middle of the road without looking.
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #1498
sb5551
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West Chester
Posts: 10
Could the Jersey Devil done it?
sb5551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #1499
gmp211
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb5551 View Post
Could the Jersey Devil done it?
No, it no were near the Jersey Devil. But thats another story in itself...

Going down a legal dirt road, me and a couple friends were doing some Weird NJ stuff. Then something just kinda flashed out of the woods on the bank of the road, starred at us, and by the time I put it in reverse to see who/what it was. It was gone. I didn't get a good look but a friend swears it was the Jersey Devil. The place is by the Gates of Hell, which is believed to be by the Jersey Devil and that the gates go straight into hell if you can move 2 giant swords out of the way of a cement door.

I love NJ
__________________
2002 WJ - Forest Green
gmp211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #1500
98CherokeeLTD
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Easton, PA, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,172
I've hit a bunch of the Weird NJ spots. I used to live about 1/4 mile from the Paulinskill Viaduct now I live about 10 miles from there. At times I hate Jersey, but for the most part I love it too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by -XJguy- View Post
Damn pesky trees always jumping out into the middle of the road without looking.
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.