Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Ever find anything "unusual" while wheeling?

2M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  PitStop 
#1 · (Edited)
I was out in the woods in northern Cali the other day and came across a huge USAF radar facility. This is nowhere near any military bases.

----Update 6-10-06, found this info about it on the interweb: http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/an-fps-118.htm /Update----

A friend of mine said he once found what he believes is an old missle silo inside a chain link and barbed wire fence out in the woods, also in northern Cali, but he couldn't remember how to get back to it to show it to me.

What strange things have you found?

#2 ·
Man I cant top that! We rolled up on some freaks in the middle of nowhere one night and they just had to be devil worshipers. My stupid friend wheels up right in the middle of them and kills the engine and is like "hey whats up?"!! We were all saying get the F outta here and they were acting weird. He turns around and floors it (blazer with 44's and a 454) and he didnt see the hump in the road to prevent washouts...well we launch into the woods screaming and WHAM..hit a tree and totalled the rig. The devil worshipers scattered luckily but then we were there all alone........luckily a drunk deer hunter rolled up on an atv and he went back to camp to get our buddies and our rigs. I never went anywhere with that ******* again!

I found a sweet vintage fire extinguisher in the woods, but it was covered in ants so I left it. We found 2 brand new coolers someone lost on the trail full of fresh food and everything. We never did see anyone so we kept em at the end of the day.

#668 ·
Man I cant top that! We rolled up on some freaks in the middle of nowhere one night and they just had to be devil worshipers. My stupid friend wheels up right in the middle of them and kills the engine and is like "hey whats up?"!! We were all saying get the F outta here and they were acting weird. He turns around and floors it (blazer with 44's and a 454) and he didnt see the hump in the road to prevent washouts...well we launch into the woods screaming and WHAM..hit a tree and totalled the rig. The devil worshipers scattered luckily but then we were there all alone........luckily a drunk deer hunter rolled up on an atv and he went back to camp to get our buddies and our rigs. I never went anywhere with that ******* again!

I found a sweet vintage fire extinguisher in the woods, but it was covered in ants so I left it. We found 2 brand new coolers someone lost on the trail full of fresh food and everything. We never did see anyone so we kept em at the end of the day.
We should hang out

#3 ·
one time i was meeting some buddies at a local wheeling spot, i got there b4 them, and down at the entrance, i see a 1990 Camry, so i just thought there must be someone fishing down there too.....well i turn my jeep around to face the car and i had my KCs on and there was a girl giving a guy, leaning over from the passenger seat, making her man happy..lol...i think i pissed em off a little.........she got up real fast, straightened her top out, and he pushed his little 4-banger camry to the max trying to get the hell outa there...that was great..lol

#4 ·
the only thing i've ever seen was a half buried pick-up truck... looked to be from the 50's and a shack out in the middle of the woods that kinda still looked like it might be inhabited.. that was kinda weird

#5 ·
i found a cooler with a 12 pack of old milwakee(sp) it was still cold ...figured it fell off a truck bed or somebody just left it behind....we took it and drank it...

also found a nice stash of old play-boys.....i mean oldies....there were also other mags mixed in with hard-core stuff in it....to bad we didn't find these with the beer otherwise it would have been a good day

#6 ·
A friend took me to an old hippie commune in the middle of nowhere once. It was weird, looked like they just up and left one day. There were some cool old buses and a truck like I had never seen before. The buses had additions built onto them and some even connect with hallways. Their magazines were still lying around on the floor. Mostly motorcycle mags from the 70's. There was even a tree with the inscription, "Bransford was here" on it. Coincidence...I think not!

#7 ·
Similar to the original poster's:

About 4 years ago in my dad's XJ, we were up north at our cabin just toolin' around on the old Wisconsin logging trails. It was just getting to be dusk, and we see something glowing further up the trail. We stumbled apon what appeared to be a submarine relay station. This place was lit up like a christmas tree, had super high fences with razor wire, and warning signs all around it. Not a soul in sight though, but appeared to be in some use (eerie, as someone put it...VERY eerie). One of the warning signs said something along the lines of "trespassers will be detained or shot" There were military vehicles in the base, but no people that we could see. I look at my dad, and we silently agreed that we should probably head home... :laugh:

#8 ·
Found 4 cases of really old leaky dynamite in the Arizona desert. Stayed way clear or it.

Found a 1906 tractor in a mine. The kind with a crank handle to start it. Brought it home and changed the oil. Put on a mag from a duce and a half and put fresh fuel in it and it cranked up. That thing had been in that mine for decades.

#615 ·
Found 4 cases of really old leaky dynamite in the Arizona desert. Stayed way clear or it.
Anybody else reminded of the movie Sorcerer when they read this? It is about these men who are hired to drive these trucks loaded with old leaky dynamite accross this almost unpassable mountian pass. Great movie, and def. worth watching. Offtopic I know...

#9 ·
Took my 15yo daughter mudding the other day, hear something going whack-whack-whack. Look in the pass mirror to see something attached to the tire or something.

Pulled a 1/4" dia, 2' long steel rod from my tire.

Does that count ???

#10 ·
jbrem04 said:
Similar to the original poster's:

About 4 years ago in my dad's XJ, we were up north at our cabin just toolin' around on the old Wisconsin logging trails. It was just getting to be dusk, and we see something glowing further up the trail. We stumbled apon what appeared to be a submarine relay station. This place was lit up like a christmas tree, had super high fences with razor wire, and warning signs all around it. Not a soul in sight though, but appeared to be in some use (eerie, as someone put it...VERY eerie). One of the warning signs said something along the lines of "trespassers will be detained or shot" There were military vehicles in the base, but no people that we could see. I look at my dad, and we silently agreed that we should probably head home... :laugh:
Oh yes, I bet they were watching you. There are some things best left alone.

We were riding dirtbikes once and got just a bit too close to the National Guard Armory here and were greeted by men with M-16's. Granted they were just doing their job so that was cool. Now one time across the border in Mexico riding dirtbikes we took a break and the military pulled up in a 3/4 ton suburban and 6 guys get out with full autos....we shat just a bit right there. They just kinda looked at us and went on. However later that night while ripping through the little Mexican town on dirt bikes and a bit too much tequila we got surrounded and arrested. It was nuts! They loaded our bikes up in trucks and took us to the local hospital (nasty, nasty place) for blood tests (?) to see how much we had drank..after an hour or so there the doc didnt show up (thank God) and they took us to jail. Ended up being one of those situations where we were begging how much could we pay to get out of this. It turned out to be the situation where they ask, "how much you got?"! They came up with a figure of like $300 and we had $298!!!! They almost didnt let us go! Anyway they drove us to the middle of nowhere whee our bikes were with BUNCH of villagers and we shat yet again. Our bikes were all screwed with and some flooded but we finally hauled *** for the border. A couple of the guys didnt save the $3 you have to pay to get back across and they had to plead with the border patrol, it was hilarious. Wasnt funny at the time but now its all good.

Off topic I know but ..............

#11 ·
FlaJeepin said:

Found a 1906 tractor in a mine. The kind with a crank handle to start it. Brought it home and changed the oil. Put on a mag from a duce and a half and put fresh fuel in it and it cranked up. That thing had been in that mine for decades.
Man that dynamite would have been a hoot with a high powered rifle!!!!

#1,028 ·
I actually think my grandpa pointed that out to me several years ago.

Anyways, I was out riding my quad today, and I found a kids truck that had gotten stuck out in the woods, so he left it and someone torched it. I know who's truck it was, and my guess was that with all the drugs he is in, he probably owed someone money, but luckily for me, his truck's leaf springs made a good anchor for my atv winch when I got stuck.

#13 ·
went wheelin at Rohwer flats and we found a new pick up truck that someone had left after rolling it. found a school id so we thought someone either stole it and wrecked it or took daddys new truck and wrecked it.

it was not stripped or anything so some of the guys decided to call it in once we finished.

#14 ·
i kinda came across something....have a nice wheelin area about 3 miles off the main road...went up there with a buddy and 2 chicks....thought we were alll alone...well as night fell we started hearing people moving in the woods all around us.....i busted out the spot light and saw the reflectors of vehicles way back in the woods....there were absolutly no lights on or around these vehicles/ people.....execpt for little red lights that you could barely make out.....we had no clue how many people were there but they were moving in the brush and woods all around the clearing where we were....freaked us out so we left....

thought it had to be military using night gogles cause those woods are dense...normal people couldn't make the ground they were covering in pitch darkness....this is one reason i carry a gun and extra clips with me whenever i go out in woods

#1,330 ·
one time at my cabin in northern Michigan we went out for a little night time 4X4 ( during hunting season) and we were going down a two tracker and could see a vehicle in the head lights about a mile up the trail, but they had no lights on. they backed up all the way back to the main road then we pulled out and they began to follow us we ended up losing them doing 90 down some dirt roads. then we turn of our lights and pulled down a two tracker shut off the engine and there was a small plane that kept circling around us, the plane must of had night vision or heat seeking bull****, so we went back to our cabin and we were sitting down next to the fire place suddenly somebody knocks on the door( our cabin is two miles back in BFE surrounded by state land) so we were like wtf there were no head lights, so we thought maybe it was our uncle playin a prank on us cuz we had the system bumpin when we pulled in. so my my cousin goes to answer the door and this dnr officer sticks his face in the window and scares the **** out of us we answer the door and one dnr officer came in while the other stayed in the shadows( to keep his night vision i think) then they searched our truck to see if we were poaching. then they left with no headlights in the dark, ya they had night vision, and a plane.

#15 ·
CraigAllen said:
I was out in the woods in northern Cali the other day and came across a huge USAF radar facility. It had three, mile-long, hundred-foot tall steel-and-wire antenna arrays with control buildings at the center of each of them but no fence around it (except wooden fences around the antenna structures) and nobody around. There was a sign that said "OTH-B Radar, Northwest Air Defense Sector, Segment 5 Recieve, Facility 15" (each of the three buildings showed a different segment or maybe facililty number, I don't remember, and the middle building had two giant sized satellite dishes pointing to the eastern sky). This is nowhere near any military bases. I would have at least thought there would be a security guard or something!

The place was kind of eerie out there in the middle of nowhere and apparently abandoned, but it was obviously well-maintained.

A friend of mine said he once found what he believes is an old missle silo inside a chain link and barbed wire fence out in the woods, also in northern Cali, but he couldn't remember how to get back to it to show it to me.

that is the coolest frickin thing, ever. :thumbsup:

makes me not wanna live in boring old CT...

#16 ·
I grew up in a airforce family, so I have seen a few of those remote places with warning signs. I will tell you they are not abandoned and someone is watching you, but if you drive off they leave you alone.
if you ever fly over some of the deserts in the southwest you see roads going out to square cleared areas with very small buildings and a square or circle by it. Take a guess, underground missle silo.

#17 ·
Not Wheeling but we found a fresh tapped keg in a lake. It was a good party spot and had gottin bust an hour before we got there. We turned around in the car and our headlights shined on the top with the tap sticking out of it in the lake. We jumped out and waded in and pulled it out. We loaded it up and took it home and had a hella party. Free full keg-o beer :D

#18 ·
CraigAllen said:
I was out in the woods in northern Cali the other day and came across a huge USAF radar facility. It had three, mile-long, hundred-foot tall steel-and-wire antenna arrays with control buildings at the center of each of them but no fence around it (except wooden fences around the antenna structures) and nobody around. There was a sign that said "OTH-B Radar, Northwest Air Defense Sector, Segment 5 Recieve, Facility 15" (each of the three buildings showed a different segment or maybe facililty number, I don't remember, and the middle building had two giant sized satellite dishes pointing to the eastern sky). This is nowhere near any military bases. I would have at least thought there would be a security guard or something!

The place was kind of eerie out there in the middle of nowhere and apparently abandoned, but it was obviously well-maintained.

Where oh where was that? I'm assuming it was somewhere on your reno-to-alturas geo-cache oddesy? Closer to Alturas? do you have gps coordinates or directions? gotta check it out. thanks :thumbsup:

#20 · (Edited)
LandRover said:
Where oh where was that? I'm assuming it was somewhere on your reno-to-alturas geo-cache oddesy? Closer to Alturas? do you have gps coordinates or directions? gotta check it out. thanks :thumbsup:
Here is a page with some pics I found doing research trying to find what this place is (Over The Horizon - Backscatter Radar).
http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/TuleLakeAFSCA.html This page only shows one of the facilities, but there are actually three there, about a mile apart in the woods.

#21 ·
LandRover said:
I found a recliner once. Too bad I was on my dirt bike and not in the jeep. also in eerie northern Cali.... weird. :D
I did too. We were riding along on dirt bikes and my buddy fouled a spark plug. I told him I'd ride to the truck and get one and be right back. When I get back he is all weird acting and showed me a recliner that had blood all over it. He was skeered.

#22 ·
I have seen lots of old refrigerators, freezers, washers, driers, stoves and other household appliances, but don't consider those "unusual." A dead body or a crashed WWII airplane, now THAT would be unusual!

#23 ·
tcourdin said:
I did too. We were riding along on dirt bikes and my buddy fouled a spark plug. I told him I'd ride to the truck and get one and be right back. When I get back he is all weird acting and showed me a recliner that had blood all over it. He was skeered.
That is why I always kept an extra one in my toolbag

#24 · (Edited)
Hmm... once we found a 33x1250 tire mounted & with pleanty of tread...

Another time we went out to our local wheeling spot & found 3 stuck pickup trucks... in group of VERY easy mud holes. The first guy was a stock height 2wd Chevy, and his buddy got stuck in a stock F150 trying to get him out. The 3rd truck barely made it where they were. I pulled them all out, and they shared some beers with us... turned out they had been back there all day drinking & shooting thier guns.... the next day the cops had our whole wheeling spot shut down & we haven't had the stones to go back there since :brickwall

#25 ·
Well, I wasn't wheeling, but it was still kinda cool, sorta. . .

Found an old TV circa sometime probably in the 60's or 70's or so, and also found a big old iron bar. Took a swing at the thing, and it bounced right off! Took another swing. . . SAME RESULT. . .

Finally, threw it at it like a Javelin. . . that worked! I swear the noise it made probably echoed for MILES. Sounded like a CANNON going off!

Anyway, that is about the best I have. . .

#26 ·
eagleno49 said:
That is why I always kept an extra one in my toolbag
Oh me too. Trouble is the putz that I took riding fouled like 3 plugs and I was out! He was a puzz. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.