Doomed trail rides - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Doomed trail rides

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #16
RockGnar

I found a new trail the other day, brought my girlfriend along...it started out cool, some rocks, all downhill, pretty fun...then it got hectic when we reached a dead-end, so I had to turn around and go back up the steep, rock, thin tral...I got about half way up it until I realized that 2 high wouldnt hack it...so I thought I just brake and pop it into 4-low...big mistake...becuase where I stopped there was a rock and tree on each side, keep in mind that the trail was probably only ever ridden by quads so its pretty skimpy...so I get it into 4-low, but it wouldnt engage until I get it rolling...so I rev it up, but the slope was 2 much and we rolled back about 3-4 feet, inches away from the tree...no big deal right...unfortunately it had rained about 2 days earlier so alot of the dirt was still a little moist, and my tires are gettin' a little worn...so ofcourse my tires are just spinning and I'm getting pissed and my girlfriends getting scared, etc...then I finally get out of the hole but dont make it all the way up this rocky obstacle, so I have to roll back, this time my back bumper is litterally resting on the boulder across from the tree...****ty...I finally get out and get some dry gravel and rocks to get some traction...it worked...my girlfriend doesnt like seeing me pissed...I probably woudnt have been so frustrated but I didnt want to have to get towed out while she was there or anything, I have too much pride, and I doubt we'd find anyone with a winch on the vehicle anywhere so...but we made it out fine and continued on a fun little ride...

RED JEEP MEMBER #355
RockGnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #17
jocww

shoulda popped in to 4 hi then you dont have to roll back

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #18
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

story

So this was when I was 16. I went wheeling with my brother and a freind. We were all in my jeep. I was showing them how bad *** my stock '80 cj 5 was.

We were coming down this hill when the shifter on that crappy sr4 broke. This sent my jeep into neutruel. I lost control and hit a tree. I only managed to bend the bumper and a head light popped out and broke. Now my jeep wouldn't go into gear and I was facing down hill pinned against the tree, with not anyone around.

I ended up walking out about 5 miles to my grandma's house to call home. My dad wasn't happy, but came to the rescue. He took the cover off the tranny and used a pair of vice grips to find reverse. Needless to say he got the jeep out, and I learned a lesson.

I still four wheel there and you can just barely see the scar on that tree from almost 15 years ago.

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #19
Tirith
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fun on the Rubicon

Here's the short, short, short version of my story. A buddy and I decided to run the Rubicon Trail back in Sep 2003. I was in my TJ with 3.5" lift and 33x12.5s, ARB up front. He's in a 95 Taco, 3" lift, 32s, locked front and rear.

He breaks his right front axle on the Gatekeeper, but decides to keep going in three wheel drive. We remove the broken half-shaft and let that side free-wheel on the hub. So 5 hours into the Rubicon, and we make it to the Granite Bowl.

Next day goes pretty well, even though the Taco is in 3WD. It bounces and scrapes over a lot of rocks, and in a few places, gets a tug, or has to winch a bit. But we make it to Spider Lake pretty much uneventfully (bypassing Little Sluice).

Day Three is not so good. While trying to fit the LWB Tacoma through a pinch on Big Sluice, the Taco snaps the left front axle. It's now in 2WD. Fortunately, Rubicon Springs is downhill. But we still have Cadillac Hill in front of us.

Against better judgement (caused by frustration and fatigue), my buddy decides to leave the broken half shaft in the axle. The next morning, we winch and drag his butt up to the top of Cadillac Hill. We make it all the way to the point where the trail lightens up, just past the last major obstacle, and the right front hub and spindle grenades. The wheel pretty much falls off. The broken shaft has pretty much ground the hub to pieces. So the Taco was done. We spent the next day trying to figure out how to get it off the trail. We can't do a field repair, because we need a bearing press. So we find a local towing company to tow him out. $600 and 24 hours later, his rig is at a local fab shop, where he decided to leave it for a front solid axle swap.

On the morning of Day 5, the local fab shop calls. Apparently the Taco was stolen overnight. Someone had been casing the rig (either an employee of the fab shop, or a neighboring shop, or the towing company), and came in with a flatbed, dragged it up, and hauled it off. So we spend the day with the CHP filing reports, etc. They tell us the rig is as good as gone. But we don't give up, and start hitting every off-road shop from Tahoe to Truckee, spreading the word to anyone who will listen to be on the lookout for the Taco and any parts it had on it.

That night, the owner of a nearby shop spots the Taco in the driveway of a vacant summer home in one of the Tahoe suburbs. He calls the CHP, who recover it and take it back to the fab shop. It's missing a Corbeau seat, the stereo and amp, and a lot of CDs and other personal effects. The ARB bull bar/winch was unbolted from the rig and thrown in the bed of the truck. But all in all, it was mostly intact.

This time, the fab shop locks up the Taco in their garage while they complete the SAS. Two months later, my buddy flies to Tahoe to pick up his rig, complete with a D44 front axle and 35s.

Oh, and my TJ made it through the whole trip with only a small ding in my oil pan.
walkershill16_web.jpg   yodarepair2_04_web.jpg   crownking_nov03_1.jpg   crownking_nov03_3.jpg  
Tirith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #20
blackxj99
1988 MJ Comanche 

A couple times a year I go down to Mexico with a group to build some houses while we are down there we camp a the beach which is about 2 miles from the town, but that two miles is across a flood plain with several dirt roads across it and some places with nasty mud.

Every trip down there someone takes the wrong road and ends up stuck. All week people are talking about how if someone gets stuck my buddy could pull them out with his Titan with 8" lift and 35s.

One night he was coming back to town to meet up with us to go get tacos, and he took the wrong road. It looks like a good road then you see a barbed wire fence and slow down then you start sinking into the mud.

While we are eating we get the call tha some one is stuck and they need me to bring my jeep 1999 XJ with 3" lift and 31s to help get him out. We get there and they have only managed to dig in deeper and nobbody wants to even drive close to where he is and the tow rope is back at the church which is locked up for the night. So we have no choice to leave ti until morning.

That morning we dig him out a little bit and i pull him out with th 100' tow rope.

Since we were done with opur build we were going to the Beach down by San Quintein. My friend was low on gas but thought he could make it to the gas station. But he didn't make it. He could have easily made it to the station in the other direction but did not want to go out of the way. He also had a full 5 gallon gas can sitttting in camp.

I get toi the gas station and fill up and he still isn't there so w go back and he is about 1.5 miles back sirring on the side of the road. So we connected him to the tow rope and i tow him to the gas station.

When we finally get to the beach i head out across the dunes and jump off the edge of a dune and loose momentum so he pulls around and pulls me out.
blackxj99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2006, 01:46 AM   #21
Jermy01
1978 CJ7 

doesn't look very stuck. lol

i've had a couple, first one i had my new BFG mud 31's before i lifted it (78 CJ7) went out with a K5 blazer on 38's, but only had rear end hooked up and had a locker. went to the river bed, where the blazer was getting stuck here and there and i easily pulled him out numerous times. we finally find a spot where there is a mud hole isolated and we can drive through (the rest was pretty soft sand). so i take a wide turn around it so i can line up, i was in 2wd at the time (rear locked) and all the sudden my jeep started slowing down, so i get on the gas but come to a stop. Open the door, get out to notice the ground is at the bottom of my door. we had hit a sink hole. so we get the blazer to come over around the sink hole and to line up for a pull. he's pullin but just spinning the rear tires, even with a snatch, we couldn't get the jeep to move. By this time my friend riding in my jeep w/ me calls all of santa paula, and next thing i know, the whole population of santa paula teenagers are in the river bed. A huge *** ford came down w/ 44's, but didn't want to drive through the river bed because he might scratch his paint. What the hekc?!?!?!?! so about 3 hours of shoving rocks in front of tires, someone shows up with a highlift and a shovel, we lift up each corner, dig out under the jeep, pile rocks UNDER the the tires and finally get to rock it back and forth, i dind't think it was gonna go, but i finally got the rock rythm going and floored it to the firewall and i popped out. on the way out, the blazer got stuck twice, after several attemps of pulling him out of a ditch, finally the big ford comes down to pull him (but wouldn't come down to pull me, that freaking bastard)

after that trip, i ordered my winch

1978 CJ7, front and rear locker, 31'' BFG mud Terrain, superior axles. RE 2.5" lift. 304 V8. Warn M8000.
Jermy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #22
blackxj99
1988 MJ Comanche 

He was sitting on his axles and that mud had turned his tires into slicks so even with asphalt shingles under his tires he didn't have any traction.

The same guy got stuck in that same river bed in ventura with his old Tacoma and burried it up to the frame in the sand.
blackxj99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
Jermy01
1978 CJ7 

haha, ya, those sink holes are nasty!

1978 CJ7, front and rear locker, 31'' BFG mud Terrain, superior axles. RE 2.5" lift. 304 V8. Warn M8000.
Jermy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.