Doomed trail rides - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Doomed trail rides

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
toplessjeep

Doomed trail rides

Ok guys time for a doomed trail ride thread. I know everyone has had one. A trial ride that has ended up ok but was doomed from the start. I will start. First off now that I look back on this ride I realize that what we did can probably be counted as illegal wheeling. However, before you flame me for this, I myself didn't know anybetter and I was only a passenger along for the ride. I do know about legal and illegal, and have never done illegal wheeling in any vehical I was driving. So on to the story.

This trip was doomed from the start. I lived in NC at the time, it was sometime between Apr 97 and Dec 99. A guy from my church decides to get a group of people to go off roading in the Uwharie(sp?) national park in NC. Its about a 11/2- 2hr drive from where we were. It was doomed from the start because it took way too long to finally get everyone to decided if they wanted to go, then even longer to get them all together. It ended up being a group of 4 vehicals. A ZJ, a Toyota truck, a Toyota land Cruiser, and Geo tracker. I at this time had a 92 isuzu amigo. Had a weber carb, jacobs ignition, 31x10.50 MT's and a really nice rear roll bar. However it was a 2wd, and based on this I opted to ride along instead of drive.

Little side story on that rollbar. It was similar to what you would put in the back of a pickup truck. I bought it to replace those stupid little seatbelt so-called rollbars. Looked better and was actually functional as a saftey device. Only one company made them, and they went under shortly after I bought mine. When I sold the amigo to my GF at the times parents. They took it out and just stuffed it in a shed . That rollbar was now a rare item and I coulda made some money on it. Oh well thats the past.

Back to the story. Some detail about the vehicals. The ZJ was tricked out. Big lift, wheels, whinch, lights, all the good stuff. This was the leader of the pack. The toyota truck I believe was an '86 stock. The land cruiser was an '85 stock I believe. Don't know anything about the Tracker. So we finally get to the trail, and the one we planned to travel has a gate across it closed. Don't remember why its closed, either the season, or it was almost dark or what. There was a discussion among the drives and they decided to drive around the gate. They decided that so much time was spent driving there that is shouldn't be wasted. The gate was at the top of a small hill at the beggining of the trail. The tracker decideds to stay behind and ride along in the other vehicals. So driving around a closed gate, downfall #2. The ZJ goes first, the the land rover, then the truck which is what I am shotgunning in. All three get up the hill past the gate and downfall #3. The truck gets a flat. Not even a yard into the trail. So we get the jack out, no highlift just factory jacks and wood. We try to drop down he spare tire on the truck. Downfall #4, the spare tire is rusted to the bed of the truck. On the upside the landrover has the same exact bolt pattern and tire size as the truck. So we use the spare from the land rover. At this point it has gotten late, so the tracker guys decided to head back to their ride and go home. Finally we get going on our adventure. Its going pretty well having a good time. It starts to get dark, we got lights all is well. At some point in time before it got dark we come across part of a tree that is sticking out in the path. Its about halfway out, and about headlight high on the toyotas. However with the lift the ZJ just drives over. The landcruiser gets out and moves it outta the way and we go on. We have a small creek crossing, a nice little bang on the truck bumper from the rocks but nothing big. Then we get to this hill, rather steep and quite a long drive. Nothing I would call major but not the simpilist hill out there. It was pretty tough just to walk up, which if things went well I wouldn't have found out. So the ZJ goes first. Half way up the straight part of the hill he losses traction and can't make it. He keeps trying but nothing is working. I notice that only his rear wheels are spinning and figure something is wrong with the 4wheel. He says no everything is find, so we listen to him, the leader. Finally we give up and he whinches the thing up the hill. Not an easy task. It took at least 3 different winch points due to the length and turn in the hill. At this point its night, and we try to call family to let them know we are ok. No cell service on the mountain. Finally we get through to one of the guys wifes and she makes the call to everyone elses families. So while we are winching the ZJ the toyota owners are worried. They figure if this modded Jeep can't make it how can they. When the Toyotas get the chance to drive up they go right up the hill no problem. So now we know for sure that something is wrong. After we are all three at the top a few of them climb under the Jeep. I had the most mechanical experiance of any of them. They are under the Jeep I don't fell like getting dirty so they descripe to me what it looks like. The U-joints are busted, he busted them when he drove over that freakin tree branch. I ask them to descrive to me how the shaft is attached. I knew nothing about Jeeps then but knew that some driveshafts could be unbolted, and where not slipjoints. Based on their descriptions it was deemed best to keep the shaft on the Jeep. So they drove it that way to the end of the trail. We get down the trail aways and discover that they had left the winch gear behind. So the truck being in the rear we have to turn around and go back. Not so bad at that moment but we get back, get the gear and when we try to turn around, we find that we have a incline to one side and decline to other. Not much room to do a three pointer. We manage it somehow and get back on our way. Takes us a while to catch up too them because they decided to keep on moving. Finally we make it safe and sound off the trail and on the road. After going down the road a little we stopped because the banging of the shaft was too much for the ZJ owner. They decided this time to read the manual and found out they could remove it like I said it should be able to. Then we headed home. While this trip was doomed from the start, and alot of stupid things happened that should have been avoided I don't regret this experiance. I learned alot of what not to do's from this.

Ok so that was a long story. Now your turn, cough'em up I wanna hear them.

toplessjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
webdr

sounded fun except one part....never leave a man behind!
I wonder why they kept on truckin instead of waiting for a fellow wheeler to return......
webdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
jocww

remind me never to go wheelin with that owner

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

My doomed trail ride lasted all of 5 minutes. After a week of planning a run that I wanted to trailboss, we came down to the day before the run and I went out to scout one of the two trails we could have done. I went with another club member in his XJ lifted LA suspension on 33's, figured he'd be able to pull me out of whatever I got stuck in being stock height. Well, we get to the trailhead and look down, see nothing but snow, laying flat. Now, this trail is usually flat, so we didn't think much of it. We walked down a little bit and it was really hard snow, so we also figured it was beaten down by snowmobilers and dusted lightly the night before. So, the XJ goes first to break whatever needs to be broken(trail, that is) and I follow. He gets a good 60 feet in and stops. All 4 wheels spinning, he's turning the wheel every which way. He's done, hung up on his diffs by just hard-packed snow. I try to back out and see if I can tug on him, but it's uphill and slick. So, 5 minutes of run, no winch, no way out. he calls his friend who is also a club member and he came out with his big 2500 Dodge and 150feet of winch line, stayed up on the trailhead, and winched us out. Worst stuck I've had, shortest trail run I've been on.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
jocww

hahahhahaha that last sentence was hilarious tj hahahhahahahaha

Bay Area wheelers click this link
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Wheelers_...&#entry1565069

TvisXJ Did he just pull a Woo Wong? Chevelle Yea... he just pulled a Woo Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJIceQueen98
Real women don't drive hummers... they give them
jocww is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
just enough
1980 CJ7 

my very first wheeling trip with my 2nd jeep. I went to UNF with my wife. 1 Jeep and no tools.

We camped the night before and were going to wheel wolfves den and falls damn and go home. About half way down falls damn, just past poser rock I drove over a little log instead of driving through a mud puddle.

My tire must have hit the log just right because it shot up and lodged itself between my tc skid and the front axle. When this happened, the exhaust got pushed into my clutch linkage which broke the pivot point for the clutch in the bellhausing.

Because we were alone and the Jeep was full of gear, I went walking to find some help and left my wife with the Jeep and a gun. 3 hours later a guy in a full size dodge agreed to pull me to the trail head where my father in law came to pick us up.

That was the first and last time I have wheeled alone.

www.webwheeling.com
just enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
got4-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by just enough
my very first wheeling trip with my 2nd jeep. I went to UNF with my wife. 1 Jeep and no tools.

We camped the night before and were going to wheel wolfves den and falls damn and go home. About half way down falls damn, just past poser rock I drove over a little log instead of driving through a mud puddle.

My tire must have hit the log just right because it shot up and lodged itself between my tc skid and the front axle. When this happened, the exhaust got pushed into my clutch linkage which broke the pivot point for the clutch in the bellhausing.

Because we were alone and the Jeep was full of gear, I went walking to find some help and left my wife with the Jeep and a gun. 3 hours later a guy in a full size dodge agreed to pull me to the trail head where my father in law came to pick us up.

That was the first and last time I have wheeled alone.

damn jesse... call me next time i would come to help ya out...

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
kkkustom

A while ago I had a 86 F250 with 33’s and went wheeling with a bunch of people at this lake. Every year the water dropped so far that trucks, quads, bikes anything could go out and wheel all over the bottom of the lake. I was with a bronco welded rear diff, lifted and 38’s, a f100 locked and lifted on 38’s and my friend jim in his 2500 with tires and his quad in the back.

First 5 mins, I got buried to the frame. As I was getting un stuck… jim unloaded the quad. I got un stuck and the quad would not start. We loaded the quad back up into my truck, jims truck was left parked and did not want to get it dirty or anything.

30 mins later the bronco blasts threw a mud pit, hit the hill on the other side, front end jumps 3 feet and the coil spring flies out like a rocket, and into the water! We find it, pry it back in and we are off.

20 mins later a rock wedges it self in the F100’s caliper/wheel and slices the wheel inside out until the rim splits.

While they fix that, the quad decides to start, we unload it. Jim rides for a little while and decides to pond skim it. He tries, he sinks and gets all wet. Load the quad up and he rides with me.

Now we are about an hour into the trip, I go threw a mud pit, truck jumps a bit, land the back bumper on a rock and sends the bumper into the air like a lawn dart and spears it self into the mud. Pick it up throw it into the bed and keep going.

F100 decides to chop off half the exhaust on a down tree. Figure we cant put it back on, might as well remove the other side! Open headers are sweet!

Decide we have enough and we head out. Of course now I blow a bead on the front. We change the tire and we head for the road. Jim get into his truck, decides that his wet and muddy pants and shirt will mess up the interior… he decides to drive home in boxers! Bad idea.

On the way out, the lead trucks get too far ahead, and jim in his truck and me in mine get buried. The lead truck keep going, and going… Jim and I jump out and start digging… Jim in his boxers! A plane driver over head… once, twice and three times. A guy on a quad comes out to laff. He said he will go back for help. Well help returns in the form of 3 quads, beer and a shovel. They just sit around and watch us dig. Buddies finally realize we are not behind them and they head back and yank us out.

We make it to the road, my front spare is a bit smaller than 33 inches, and kills my hub (we left in in 4wd and figured that that tire would spin enough in the mud and dirt to make up for the roll out difference) Beat on that for a few minutes and un freeze it and go home.

A few days later… in the paper is a nice aerial shot of 2 trucks stuck at the lake, and Jim in his boxers shovel in hand, front page!
kkkustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
WVSilverXJ01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok here goes...

Me an' R.J. an' the kids was on a camp out in the mountains, an' we had us one a' them U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep cars which we had rented from a fella by the name a' Kuboske for thirty bucks a day, buy yer gas along the way, take a rabbit's foot, an' leave a pint a' blood for a deeposit. An' he'd 'splained it all to us how we's 'sposed to git to Telluride, which was fifty miles away by way of the regular highway, however there was a short-cut, BUT, unless we had drove the Black Bear Road before, we'd be, well, we'd be better off to stay in bed an' sleep late. Well we took up off'n th' highway, an we come upon a sign sez "Black Bear Road - You Don't Have To Be Crazy To Drive This Road, But It Helps", I sez to, R.J. this must be the short cut road Kuboske's a talkin' about. She didn't pay no mind 'cause she's busy makin peanut butter sanwiches for the kids in the back seat, throwin' rocks, an' drinkin' KoolAid, an' playing "Count The License Plates On Cars", but they wasn't a havin' too much fun playin' Count The License Plates On Cars, well 'cause there wern't no other cars. Went about a mile an' a half, in about four hours, busted off the right front fender, an' tore a hole in the oil pan on a rock as big as a hall closet, went over a bump an' spilt the Kool-Aid, an' Roy Gene stuck his bolo knife right through the convertible top, an' the dog threw up all over the back seat (peanut butter don't agree with him see.) So we had to stop, an' take off the top, an' air everything out, an' clean it up. The dog run off, an' R.J. sez she felt her asthma comin' on. I's settin' there wonderin' what to do, when the en-tire scenic San-Gee-Juan U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep Car sank in the mud (at thirteen thousand feet above sea level!) Well we shoveled it out, an' ate our lunch, the dog made a yellow hole in the snow, an' Roy Gene got out his Instamatic an' took a snapshot of it. Mary Elizabeth drawed a picture of the road. It looked like a whole bunch of Zs an' Ws all strung together, an' R.J. took one look at that picture, and said the only way she's goin' down that Jeep car road 'as over her dead body, an' then a rock slipped out from under the wheel, and the U-Drive-'Em Army Jeep Car, well it went right over, right over the edge of a cliff. Doggonit Roy Gene, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I mean ROCK, now look at that what you had there ain't no bigger than a grapefruit !

Ok, I admit that didn't happen to me, but a thread about doomed off road trips just isn't complete without this classic story from the great C. W. McCall.
WVSilverXJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSilverXJ01
Ok here goes...

Ok, I admit that didn't happen to me, but a thread about doomed off road trips just isn't complete without this classic story from the great C. W. McCall.

Hahaha, man I was starting to worry for a minute... The grammar was grreeaaat!

Heres my story... Jeep was still stock. My freind just got a stock Z-71 with some mud terrains, and my buddy had a 91 Blazer that was lifted with 31's, but 4wd was busted at the time.

So anyhow, we go to this spot off the side of the highway that is just a road and a mud pit, and mauled down trees. We were messing around pulling downed trees in the Z (trying to act out Chevy commercials, lol) and then they started to hit the mud pit.

The Z took the pit like a champ (big trucks, lots of power) made it look easy, so my freind takes his Blazer through a few times, get stuck twice or so at the very end of the hole, no biggy.

So I didnt plan on taking the Jeep through the hole, cause I knew I couldnt make it through the nasty clay that it was... anyway, after some peer pressure about 5 mins later I locked it in 4-lo and went on the outside-ish part of the hole... No problem!!! I was pretty proud of the Jeep, so I decided to grow some balls and hammer through the straight middle of the hole (exactly where the Z had been)... So I nail it, hit the hole... get about halfway through and just stop. Both axles collected enough clay to just stop me dead in my tracks, and I was bottomed out on the gas tank and crossmember... WOOT!

So after some quick digging and some throttle bursts, I can get it to rock... but there is literally nothing left under my tires to grip to. OK, so im done for... bust out the big guns. This is where I got up sh*t creek without a paddle.

My XJ doesnt have any recovery points on the front end, but I have two D-shackles on the rear. So I asked him to pull me out from behind for several reasons, but one thing lead to another and before I knew it (or could stop it) a chain was hooked to my front bumper and the Z roared to life... ...oh sh*t... SNAP is the next thing I heard, saw my bumper cap FLY through the air (probaly about 10 feet high, 20 feet away from Jeep), then I noticed I had something sticking up past my grille... ah, its my bumper! So yea, no one listened to me and they ripped my bumper totally out and up on the drivers side.

So after much cursing and spit flying, they pulled me out from behind... went to my buddies house and straightened the bumper out pretty well. That wasnt so bad was it? Ahh... it gets better.

A few days later I was hanging out with this chick I had a thing for at the time, and we were heading back to my house to grab something before we went out... So I got home and smelled a nasty burning smell coming from the Jeep... After a few mins of walking around I noticed my calipers were radiating a TON of heat. Even though I washed them off, enough clay had gotten in there to straight seize them up... So in turn, that killed the pads, calipers, brake lines were old and shot, and the drums had filled with the sh*t also.

Big $$$ for that little excursion...
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #11
just enough
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by got4-Lo
damn jesse... call me next time i would come to help ya out...

Yeah, That's before i ever met any of you guys. I've never gone wheeling alone since then thanks to the webwheeling crowd.

www.webwheeling.com
just enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
jeeptj00boy

Ok so here is my story. This was about two years ago when I had just turned 16 and went out and bought myself a tj. one of my friends had a cj7 and he said we should go dune crawling at pismo beach. So we get the trip together and start on our way. Damn thing was doomed from second one. his cj had the stock 304 and the three speed transmission from 1970 whatever. A trip that should of taken three hours took about six because that pos kept breaking down, and even when it did run it could only go about 45! well anyway eventualy we get there and we get camp set up. we decide to go up to the dunes. I let a friend of mine drive a third car we had with us a 94 chevy taho and lo and behold the 4wd is out, he drives the thing into high sand and it took us about 20 minutes to get back out. so we eventualy continue up to the dunes. We have a good time for about half an hour untill I go up a hill attempt to step on the breaks as to not go over the other side and die, and there is a shoe under the break pedal! I had to stall the jeep to stop it from going over. Then I get my jeep stuck in a hole. cant get it out just dig her further in. eventualy all the locals come and laugh at me and my friends as we attempt to get the jeep out. we didnt know anything about wheelin so we had not aired down our tires. Eventualy some kindly toyota drivers tell us to air down to 15 psi and we get the jeep out finaly. After this we go to sleep, get up and call it a done trip. Worse wheelin experiance ever.
Unread 03-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #13
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ive got another.

It was my Jeep (still stock at the time) My freind Blazer (in my other story), another stock XJ (2000 I think), and a pre-runner Ranger. We were all hitting holes and sliding around having fun, when the Jeep went into this deep pit filled up with water... well, he ended up sucking some water in the intake, the noise that thing made sounded like instant death of an engine... He let it sit for a while, and it cranked right back up to our suprise.

So they decide its time to leave. This is where it gets bad... The entrance and exit (same spot) to where we are at is just wide enough for a full sized truck to get through without trouble, and to each side is a 5-10 foot deep ditch.. almost straight down. So the Jeep goes out first, flyyying across the extrence... then the Ranger decides he's gonna one-up him by going even faster... Well, he was moving pretty good when he hit a nice sized hole. Launched the front end of the truck up in the air, and when it came down he was about a foot away from the ditch, still doing 20-25mph... So he ends up plowing straight into it. Luckily it didnt even scratch the damn thing (just muddy water, no sticks or rocks) and it took about an hour or so before we got another Ranger with a winch to get him out.

A few more trucks had shown up by then so we all went and hit the holes some more, lol... luckily no one wrecked that time.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
jeeptj00boy

oh yea I have another one. My friends and I went to azusa canyon. At this point my jeep was lifted and moded and I knew what I was doing with some degree of proficency so did my friend with the cj. my other friend however had a yj with a dinky little 1 inch suspension lift. So we went through the first river crossing just fine. But then there was a second crossing with two steep banks. I went through it fine, the cj went through it fine but then the yj went down the bank. my friend said he hit a rock and pressed down harder on his accelerator and water locked his engine. Eventualy we towed his yj back to the starting point but at this point this guys dad (who is a cop) had freaked out and called the forest service and local police and whatnot. Well anyway we got it all cleared up and triple a towed his jeep back to my house (it being within the range of the triple a truck) we get there, dry out his filter, pull the spark plugs, etc get all the water out of the engine. so eventualy we get the yj back up and running. He hops in it puts it in reverse, gets out of my drive way puts it in first starts to drive off. goes to put it in second, and throws a rod right out of the bottom of his oil pan. beat that one
Unread 03-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
jcook793
Hi Mom

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The first time I went offroading was the worst. I'd had my TJ for a few months and went with a small group to Haspin Acres in Indiana, famous for being really muddy. It was December and cold as hell. My big mistake was that I had managed to get my new winch mounted but not wired up (I wanted the solenoid to be under the hood).

I had been impressed all day what my little stock Jeep could do. Hadn't gotten stuck at all. It was about 4:00 and we were about to leave when someone said those infamous words -- "hey let's just do one more trail".

We went down a hill to a small clearing. It was all goopy in there and turned into a winchfest. One guy with a nice Rubicon had slidden sideways within a hair of hitting a tree. That took some careful winching to get him out without getting all dented up.

One guy had managed to make it over the other hill but got pretty stuck, so he walked back to where we were and asked for some help. My wife said she'd stay with my Jeep and I hopped in with the Rubicon guy and we left to help out.

It took us longer than we thought it would. We got done and drove back to where everyone else had been and they were gone. Crap. More driving, yelling, walking around the woods... finally we topped a hill and found the other 2 vehicles trying to get my Jeep unstuck. I got over to my Jeep and my wife was pretty mad. The group wanted to try to find the way out before it got dark, but she wanted to wait for us (smart girl!). Finally they talked her into it. She followed them until they came upon a spot that looked too difficult for my stock rig.

One of the guys volunteered to drive through it for her. He got in and got it real stuck. That's when we finally found them, and by then it was almost completely dark.

We spent about an hour trying everything to get my Jeep out, but it was just too stuck. It really needed to be winched from the front, but there was a steep incline there and nobody could get in front of me to do it. I decided to lock it up and return in the morning since it was freezing cold, pitch dark and getting late.

We piled in and headed out but for the life of us could not find the main road. We started radioing for help, someone managed to get a cell signal and we heard back that one of the workers in the park would be out with his tractor.

After about an hour and no tractor in sight, I decided to take a flashlight and find the exit. I ran for a while and eventually saw the lights of the tractor. It looked like he was leaving! So I ran with all I had and after about 20 minutes caught up with him. I jumped in and we got back to where the group was.

He couldn't get back to where my Jeep was (to narrow for the big tractor) so I asked if I could return in the morning. He agreed and we got a lift home.

The next day it was even colder. I got to the park at about 9am and right away met some friendly guys on quads. They volunteered to help me out, so we ran out to my Jeep, did a hack wiring job on my winch and after a few tense moments when I was certain my line was gonna snap, I was unstuck! I offered to buy them some beers but they said no thanks, they were just glad to help. What a great bunch of guys.

So it all worked out and is fun to think back on now, but at the time it really really sucked.
jcook793 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.