Cheap Jeep and instant karma - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Cheap Jeep and instant karma

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Fixins13
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Cheap Jeep and instant karma

A few years ago I had a 97 ZJ with a hole in the radiator. I was living in the city at the time and had no place I could work that was warm and dry. So I called a neighborhood mechanic who had great Yelp reviews and made an appointment to drop it off. When I arrived for my appointment, the shop was dark and no one was there. I called and left a message to please call me when they got in. They never called me back so a few days later I wrote them a bad Yelp review. The manager finally called me back and said he'd like to try to win my business back and would I take my review down. I said the only reason we are even having this conversation is because I wrote the bad review and no, I'm not taking my review down and no I'm certainly not bringing you my car. I found another mechanic who did a great job who I used for a couple other small things over the years. I sold that Jeep and moved out to the 'Burbs.

A couple months ago I went on Yelp and was looking at some of my old reviews. I decided I had punished the garage for long enough and deleted my bad review. I don't know if it helped them or not but I at least decided to let go of that incident. I have now found myself in need of another car. Having owned many many Jeeps over the years I searched Craigslist and found a Cherokee Sport right in my old neighborhood. Over about a week I saw the price go from $1500 to $1100 to $900. I contacted the seller who said the Cherokee was dead. I asked if I could try to start it and she agreed but offered little hope.

I did a bunch of research on here and I figured it was probably the starter, a relay, neutral safety switch or fuse. I brought some electrical stuff and a crappy digital multimeter with me. I put the jumper cables on it and tried the starter. Very slow cranking but cranking none the less. OK so it's probably not a bad starter and definitely not the relays nor the fuses. It's probably the battery. Well, let's let the battery charge on the jumper cables for a couple minutes. With the jumper cables on, I had 13/14 volts on the battery. Should be fine. Keyed it on and it showed 14 volts on the dash. I tried to start it and again had very slow cranking. I asked how old the battery was and she said it was recent and also she had recently had the battery terminal ends replaced (at the same garage I had the bad experience with). I looked more closely at the positive terminal and with two fingers and virtually no effort I pulled the 2 wires out of the terminal end. I borrowed her socket set, shaved the crud off the wires with my pocket knife and put the wires back in the terminal end and clamped them down hard. I let the jumper cables charge it for a couple more minutes, turned the key and it started like I had driven it that morning. I took it out for a short buzz around the neighborhood (no plates) and told her I'd be back to buy it today.

Lesson learned, be nice.

Unread 07-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
darth_kwan_doh

Hope you told her not to go to that same mechanic again.
darth_kwan_doh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.