Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 08-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #76
jaysway12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

enough said.

jaysway12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #77
njkeagle
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^^I don't see where the problem is
njkeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #78
IDK

One day I decided to take a little trip up a dirt road in the mountains. We had a good 3ft of packed snow on the ground. I took a right on a cutoff road and purposely ignored the "Road Not Maintained During Winter" sign. I was driving a Jeep, I wouldn't get stuck. I kept following the truck tracks that were already there, they ended about a mile up and were replaced by SNOWMOBILE tracks, I should've seen it there. But like a dummy I kept on pushing. The snow was welly packed and my Jeep drove on top of it, no big deal. I was behind a hill where there was shade when I emerged from the behind the hill it was sunny and flat, with deep snowdrifts. As soon as I started to drive over the biggest one, the sun had been there for a while, plop the Jeep sank down to the the axles in 6 ft of packed snow, ****! I tried all that I could to get out but the tires just kept digging deeper, it was high centered. I finally gave in and had to face one of my most dreadful fears, having to call dad to come rescue me with his 1973 Ford Bronco. His Bronco was ahead of my Jeep as far a recovery gear goes, winch, chains, shovel, and everything else. He just thought that seeing my Jeep sunken into the snowdrift was the funniest thing on earth, "didn't ya notice the snowmobile tracks back there? Good thing Ford created the Bronco to go rescue those poor little Heeps." Oh well, I've had to rescue him several times, that is the only time he ever got the opportunity to pull my Jeep out, I've pulled him out like 3 times already!
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #79
mudbogger4x4
2007 JK Wrangler 

About 2 weeks ago we got a terrible snow storm. I've been wheeling my Jeep through some nice mud holes, so my logic was 2-3 feet of snow won't be anything. After jacking around in a parking lot spinning the tires, drifting, and doing doughnuts, I went after a little 2 ft high bank. Up and over. No sweat. Ok let's hit the big one. This one was around 4 or 5. I get going, it's climbing, climbing, climbing, then BAM. I fell through it. Ok no big deal. It's a Jeep. I'll get out. Reverse. Nothing. Rocked it, nothing. I'm high centered. Ok 4low to the rescue! Yeah right. More like my shovel and dad's 02' Saturn to the rescue. I felt like an idiot. Thank goodness nobody saw. A Jeep, being tugged on by a passenger car. Sheesh. I should have my liscense revoked lol! Oh well he got me out. He still brings it up everytime I talk to him
mudbogger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #80
Archy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So a couple of my buddies and I decide to run down to the bottom lands by the river near my house three days after it had rained for three days straight in a 99 4runner w/ A/T tires. We are having a good time running through mud pits and climbing hills until another one of our friends decides he wants to take....wait for it...a stock jeep liberty through some of the stuff we were doing in the 4runner...? I told him it wasn't a good idea, but he insisted. So since i knew the trails i rode shotgun with him for a couple minutes. you know, telling him where to go. how fast to hit whatever- he didn't have much experience at all. anyways, when we got to this big mud pit we were distroying earlier i told him to hit it steady. he hits it sloooow. i tell him to tap his gas a tiny tiny bit- he floors it. gets stuck. the mud and water are so deep that it comes up 1 inch short of spilling into the doors. my buds and i try to get it unstuck w/ tools, cables, chains- the whole 9 yards for 6.5 hours, but our efforts are futile. Liberty ends up sitting in the mud for a day. after it gets unstuck a day later, my bud w/ a stock 03 jeep sport clears it no problem....and it had rained the previous night. moral of the story: stay clear of Liberties.
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #81
pokernaked
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was in Florida for some training and drove the "stock Rubi' down. A buddy of mine heard about some mud bogs near Lawtey so we go to check it out. We get there around 4pm and the guy at the gate says everyone starts to show up around 6pm. So we scope the place out and it looks to be dry. I walk out a little ways and it is as hard as a rock. So with a little help, I make the decision to drive around "on top" of the sand. All is going well and I decide to head back to the spectator area. This is where it begins to go downhill. All of a sudden the "rock solid" sand gave way and my tires sank to the bottom of the earth. I was sitting on the frame when I got out to check and there were four holes about the size of my tires. So I decide to see what the Rubi is made of. I pull forward all of 3 inches, back up 6, pull forward 9, and back and forth. I did this for about 5 minutes until the clutch started smoking. About this time comes the monster piece of machinery they use to pull out all the trucks. Well he pulled me out with ease.
I had to replace my throw out bearing about 3 days later. I am assuming that these two are connected. My buddy still gives me a hard time about getting stuck "on the beach".

Moral of the story is:
Lockers and 4 wheel drive do not do a thing if the frame is the only thing touching the ground.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so-you-want-tummy-tuck-942018/"][COLOR="Red"]SO YOU WANT A TUMMY TUCK..[/COLOR]..[/URL]
pokernaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #82
mkknaack
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I went to park on top of a snow hill at buffalo wild wings. Forgot I had my big drop hitch on. Started going up, hitch hit the ground, but i kept going up. All of a sudden it stopped, my back wheels came off the ground. I couldnt back up! So i was wedged on the snowhill in the middle of a parking lot. My buddy was right behind me in his zj so he gave me a quick tug. (It was about -5 outside, and took more than a little tug) So that just goes to show, dont be an idiot and try to show off. Took the hitch off and went all the way to the top, parked it there and went and ate!
mkknaack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #83
cheapjeeps85
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i got pulled out by a ford my jeep is in the mid of the other tj and the f150
stgjsruj.jpg  
cheapjeeps85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #84
furyfighter20

Ok here is one for you, but it does not involve a mud hole (16 years old at the time). I convinced my buddy to go trail ridding. He had a CJ5 with a 4” lift sitting on Mickey’s, no top, no doors. We where heading to the gas station on a paved road. All of a sudden my buddy swerves. I look at him and he said “snake, I got him” so no harm no foul right, wrong!!! About 30yards later or so I turn to the back to get a dew out of the cooler and to my surprise there was the wounded diamond back rattler sitting in the back sit it the “I’m about to bite you stupid) form. I yell at my buddy SNAKE. He looks in the back seat then looks back at the road. He went to the left lane of the road, Through the CJ in neutral and bailed in to the grassy ditch. So I’m alone with the snake and the jeep is now doing what it wants to. So I hit the lap belt and bail. in mid air I realized I don’t have a cushy landing area. I have asphalt, at about 30-35 mph. I was really banged up and had a lot of road rash. So after lying in the road for 5 mins or so I finally get up. I looked down the road and the jeep was in the ditch on its side. We Walked 3 miles to his house to get my bronco II and pulled the jeep up right. She started right up and drove here home. Only damage was the windshield and frame. So I guess the lesson is clear. Don’t hit critter in a jeep with no top.
furyfighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #85
ervinbrandon
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well gents i got a good one,
it starts out just another night out playing around with my wife and a buddy and his wife we decided to go off road and hit up some mudd and see how the jeep could fair because i just down graded to a jeep from a 05 F350 super crew long bed 4x4 on 38's wasnt much i couldnt do with it but now im in the jeep and its about 4 hours after i bought it we are out having a blast sliding it around splashing around you know he!! raisin. we went to a place i used to take the truck with some other buddies and try it out there big open strip mines gotta love them, one single mud hole in the whole place the rest was just hard packed mud we went for it 1/4 of the way though the hole i got stuck now this sucks but oh well i climb out and start looking for stuff to shove under the tires to get me out (no recovery equipment) step down in the hole to slide some branches and stuff under the tire and realize im in water up to my stomach. In the mean time i hear the girls in the back start hollering the heep is filling with water so i went around stood in the water again to help them out to dry land one of them was pregnant and didnt want her freaking out too bad. I stood in the mud and water for about 45 min trying to get it out using logs rocks whatever i could find while my buddy was trying to rock it out i even tried good ole D.A.C.B method and just lifting it up in the rear to catch traction in the front no avail broke down and called a buddy to come get us out we are out in the middle of no where so while steve runs the 3 miles back to the main road to show Jr where we were i stayed with the girls and the jeep trying to get it out still in the water oh by the way its winter time Dec i think and it was one of those rare cold NC nights so when Jr finally gets there we cant find any where to hook to the jeep nothing so me being frozen almost and the other cold we gave it a rest and went home. Came back the next day expecting to have to tow it home and rememberd my hooks get there put the hooks on and hook up the truck drag it out no problems figure what the hell ill give it a try fired it up and it ran fine no problems then i took it for a quick spin drove great till the second lap coming by my wife laughing at her because she said it would be messed up well the damn transmission gave out at that momonet and she moved no more so my wife got the last laugh on that one
ervinbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #86
theshaolin
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyfighter20 View Post
Ok here is one for you, but it does not involve a mud hole (16 years old at the time). I convinced my buddy to go trail ridding. He had a CJ5 with a 4” lift sitting on Mickey’s, no top, no doors. We where heading to the gas station on a paved road. All of a sudden my buddy swerves. I look at him and he said “snake, I got him” so no harm no foul right, wrong!!! About 30yards later or so I turn to the back to get a dew out of the cooler and to my surprise there was the wounded diamond back rattler sitting in the back sit it the “I’m about to bite you stupid) form. I yell at my buddy SNAKE. He looks in the back seat then looks back at the road. He went to the left lane of the road, Through the CJ in neutral and bailed in to the grassy ditch. So I’m alone with the snake and the jeep is now doing what it wants to. So I hit the lap belt and bail. in mid air I realized I don’t have a cushy landing area. I have asphalt, at about 30-35 mph. I was really banged up and had a lot of road rash. So after lying in the road for 5 mins or so I finally get up. I looked down the road and the jeep was in the ditch on its side. We Walked 3 miles to his house to get my bronco II and pulled the jeep up right. She started right up and drove here home. Only damage was the windshield and frame. So I guess the lesson is clear. Don’t hit critter in a jeep with no top.
If this is true, you are the dumbest human being I have EVER encountered. Brake first, then get out. Who the **** jumps out of a moving vehicle?!
1991 Chevrolet K1500 - 4x4 5.7L 5spd - For Sale (Cheap!)
theshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #87
Ih8Hondas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaolin
If this is true, you are the dumbest human being I have EVER encountered. Brake first, then get out. Who the **** jumps out of a moving vehicle?!
I didn't jump out but one day I got bored and put our ranger in first, took off, got out and walked along with it while I turned the wheel and made it go in a circle. Getting back in was kind of tricky. Not the smartest or most exciting thing I've ever done.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #88
phase888
2007 JK Wrangler 

About 1986 or 87 a friend and I were out exploring the woods in the winter in my CJ2a when we come across an 'authority figure' stuck in his state issued Bronco. I stop and ask if he's okay and we help winch him out then give him some coffee since he's obviously been out there for a while. He asks us to stay there for a sec while he goes to make sure he can get his rig started, then comes back and gives me tickets for improper land use, broken tail light, improper equipment, and trespassing. I guess that's 'cop speak' for 'thank you' in my area.

I did learn my lesson though and stuck to approved paths after that rather than just wandering around. This was before the huge push for 'tread lightly' and all that plus being a teenager sometimes gives you a false sense of entitlement. I also live in the country so there was a slightly different culture as to what was 'okay' for going off road. I agree I was in the wrong and deserved the tickets, but it's still something I can laugh about now. And, yes, I'll still stop and pull out a cop if he's stuck.
phase888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #89
Airborn_PMP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So new to 4x4 trucks (I had been rallying in subies for awhile) I just bought a used H3(stock)...my friend had one as well and we found a lil trail with holes we liked. Well after playing and being impressed i found a v shaped hole with water in it and decided to go through it....well I made it but it didnt want to...should have enjoyed the small victory. But the next day my friend who has never been wheeling says 'take me to your trail....alone... had some fun and water lever had droped alot. I wanted to show him how bad a$$ my hummer was...when in this v hole I got stuck...some guy in a jeep with huge swampers had rutted it up...So I call a friend with a jeep and huge swampers...to pull me out. He and my friend pulled me out with ease and just push my mistake jeep man pushed through the hole 4 times no problem...fml.. I got smart and bought a TJ and now have no problem with this vhole...video is my victory its the last lil bit of the clip..

Last edited by Airborn_PMP; 12-15-2011 at 09:32 AM..
Airborn_PMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #90
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i have one that doesn't involve mud. my 95 xj used to do a lot of heavy duty stuff, like haul wood up the side of a hill a ranger couldn't even make it part of the way up, go through BIG mudholes, and all kinds of other fun stuff. well, i was at my mom's house. she has ~40 acres, mainly wooded, with a "trail" cut around it that we would ride four-wheelers around. i get the bright idea to take my little xj(2wd) around the trail, but i started on a much narrower trail to avoid some debri that was on the trail right by her house. so i am goin on this little trail, havin a blast, and i finally get to the main trail and what do i see? a stump stickin up in the middle of the trail i am on. so i "stop", put my jeep in neutral, and start tryin to think of the best way around or over the stump. next thing i know,THUMP!! appearantly, my foot wasn't far enough on the break and i was barely moving, and that stump just happened to catch on my lower control arm. ended up callin a buddy with a 4wd lifted dakota. he had problems in 4wd tryin to get to where i was, we got my jeep unstuck and he goes," so how in the **** are we gonna get out of here?" he didn't like my response of finishing the trail. but i can say i have since made it past the stump with ease and took the trail around a lot further.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.