Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Jeep Stories > Anybody have any embarassing mudding/wheeling stories?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 04-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #16
noshine4mine

Fun is not what I would call it.

Spent every dime I had getting my YJ prepped. Called the boss to see if he wanted to go wheeling that weekend for it's maiden voyage.
History:
Bought jeep for 3k with bad tranny.
Had tranny fixed 900.00
Spent 2.5k more in parts to make it worthy in my mind (tires, gears, springs, locker, M.O.R.E shock extension install, lower shock mounts attached) I spent 4 days putting it together(used vacation to finish).

10:00am on a beatiful saturday morning:

10:40 picked up boss.

12:00pm pulled into local offroad park (this is were the fun begins...not)

So being new to the park we ask...Were's the mud? Owner shows us a map of the property explains where we need to go (powerline trail) he procedes to tell us that there is about 3/4 of a mile worth of mud on the trail and that 1/4 of a mile down the power line road we would be stuck....hahahahaha...whatever you say dude I got a bad *** jeep.

We procede to the power line...granted this park is 2500 acres we went to all of 5 acres of it on the power line trail. We see the impassible swamp that is the Powerline trail. My boss is like HOLY ****!!!! thats deep, I agree and suggest that it would be in our best interest to see if the fookin 4wheel drive even works. The boss agrees that it IS in our best interest. :P so we drive around the area in what I would refer to as the kiddie pool of the trail. Everything is working perfectly...I'm soo stoked...(MY JEEP IS ALL WHEELDRIVE). So we see about 20 ATVs when we first go to the trail. Once we return from the bunny mud they are all gone. Well we start down the raised dirt trail to get further into the nasty. We pull up to a wash out and unanimously decide we cannot cross it as it is to deep and too sharp of an exit angle. Well on to the alternate route...if we could find one.

We drive parrallel to the wash out looking for where the ATVs crossed as they were gone already. I spot what looks to be a crossing with ATV tracks. I ease up on the edge and slowly start in. At this point all that is in front of us appears to be water. But surely if an ATV can cross it my 35s can make it too. As the front wheels go over the side I am surprised as to how far down it actually is. WHOA NELLY ITS DEEP AS ****, so deep that it made the whole vehicle slide into the water. I look to the floor board as the water is rushing in, and think holy **** this is much deeper that I expected. :P

At this point I look at my boss and say " Well we are fookin stuck, We got two choices get out and try to use the Hilift to pull it out or GO FORWARD!!!

Boss looks at me.... **** IT NAIL IT... of course I being from MS and love getting muddy thinks this is an excellent Idea. I stomp the gas....impressed by the traction the Boggers are getting I become overly optimistic...all the way up until it quits moving.

Well stuck is as stuck does...

I hop out to attach the chain and tow strap to the HIlift.... :X one problem the bag I picked up from my brothers house doesn't have the normal chain in it as it has for the past 5 years instead its full of tools he took to the junk yard to get some parts..... CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Ok I guess we are walking...

12:20pm and 1.5 miles later over hill over dale. we show up at the pavilion praying someone is there that can pull my jeep out...

OH mama there is a chevy 6X6 (extended cap, extended bed) with 60in rice tires on it and he is unloading with his mud bogging friends who also have these rediculous trucks with Unimog axles and custom suspension.

At this point my spirits are lifted....

Redneck one procedes to ask me... Do you drive a red jeep?

I reply: yeah how did you know?...

RedNeck: Oh the fellow at the check in told us he sent you to the power line trail and to be looking out for you because you would probably be stuck...

I'm thinking....WHAT!?!!?!!?!?

Ok fine whatever I just want my Jeep out of the mud, of course he procedes to inform me of what a poor choice in vehicle I made to be doing this sort of thing....I bite my tounge...I just want it out of the mud.

Well the rest you can guess, except for the old 3 speed tranny vent was submerged for the past hour or more.

Well for 20 min of slinging mud; my less than 300 mile transmission is toast as it has sucked up water like Paris hilton giving BJs.

The bastard is still in the garage with no oil pressure...

WHY ME!!!!!!!

:P

Be nice I have had a few too many while typing this...

Dana 30 4.56Gears + ezlocker
Ford 8.8 4.56 Gears + Lock Right
35x14.5x15
Atlas 9500
4x4 posi lock

Originally posted by jb_adams
:bowdown:
Oh great tire God, bless these tires for the mud they are about to receive. Let them strike swiftly with devastation to all those mudholes who oppose them!

Amen Brother!!
noshine4mine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #17
drummerwookie

yea..........i got stuck on a boulder at hooters once

gone, but never forgotten: 2006 rubicon, 1998 ZJ, 1995 YJ 4.0

metalhead jeep club #4
drummerwookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
that_1_guy

Here's mine in a nutshell. I was cruisin up this uncommonly smooth rocky hill. I was goin faster than I was permited especially since it was a very steap hill /\. I'm goin up at about 20mph (maybe slower, it just seemed fast). I hit a rock with the front passenger side tire just right and it sent my nose up in the air and over my head. So now I'm upsidedown sliding down this hill. It rolls a couple times towards the bottom of the hill and finally stops on its side. Total distance: approx 80 yds. My buddy bailed somehow and ended up in a mud pool (I hadnt noticed til I stopped) but I was still strapped in my seat holding my stearing wheel so tight my knuckles had no circulation. What suprised us all was after a couple minutes of pounding metal and cranking the motor, I was able to drive it off the trail. She was almost unrecongnizable. Another testimony of how you should wear a seatbelt when you wheel (used to not, but now I do.)
l---L 0lllllll0-
[COLOR=Black]()_) ()_)--o-)_)[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Red Jeep Club Member #318[/B] [/COLOR] | [COLOR="Navy"][B]Low Output 4-Banger Club Member #46[/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by that_1_guy; 04-25-2006 at 12:11 PM..
that_1_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Well, my story isn't my story, more like a story for a friend of mine. Well, we were out messing around sometime last year somewhere and we came across a narrow creek. Well, my friend decided to try crossing it in his lifted XJ. This thing is a beast, so he could have made it. But, he decided to take it slowly and carefully, inching his way little by little into the creek. Well, he got far enough in that the water just picked him up and carried him into the middle, where he sank up over his hood and windshield nose-down. He shut his engine off before his snorkel got under water, so no water got into the engine. He still towed it home, drained the water and took the seats out(they just now dried, and they stink). Was pretty funny, it was pitch black otherwise we'd have pictures of it.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM   #20
StuckInMud94

Quote:
Originally Posted by violatedppl
have 2, both related to the same puddle/lake. first one happend about 10 years ago. my family and some friends go camping on presidents day weekend been doing it for about 20 years (or my dad atleast) so its raining so we cant shoot so we usually drive around. we find some mud puddles to screw around in. than theirs this one doesnt look to bad about 20 ft long 8 ft wide. our buddy dave goes through it in a stock 4wd ranger. he gets stuck and comes out of his window in he tighty whites. well we forgot the chains at camp. so his ranger sets their for about 10 minutes. we pulled him out in our stock 4wd ranger. the water had to be up atleast halfway up the doors. now fastfoward about 6 years. another guy in a stock 2500 454 suburban, decides to have fun in the mud. we tell him take the first left youll be fine, well he took the second left, which we all go on video. as he makes the turn my brothers starts laughing his *** off cause he knows whats coming and me being the smallest know I would have to get the chains out of our f350 diesle says, " you want me to get the chains" my dad says know he might make hit. well the suburban prob hit the puddle going atlest 25, in about 10 he came to a dead stop. I go get the chains my dad strips down to his underwear and hooks thim out and we pull him out in no time. but the puddle now known as daves pond ownes the license plat off that suburban. we now know not to go through it/
sweet story, but where in hell did you learn your spelling and grammar ?!?!?!???!i could really care less though, im just busting your balls
StuckInMud94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #21
StuckInMud94

got a pretty good story for ya....last summer me and my buddy were wheelin' in our usual spot when we decided to explore this section of creekbed that was down a hill. so we get down there and we walked the area first, it was soggy, yet sold feeling mud/dirt. so my buddy decides to go in first saying that if he got stuck i could winch him out. he crawls down the rocky hill into the creekbed with his old stock blazer, only to bury himself in mud almost instantly when he got in the bed. so he wants me to winch him out. i decided to try and prove that my jeep could out do his blazer and i went down in there (jeep had 4" lift and 33" mud tires). i got about 1.5 jeep-lengths past him then i buried myself as well. damn. so now we're both stuck in this muddy creek bed. let the winching begin! there were no trees in front of me at all, only to the sides. i couldnt turn my steering wheel hardly at all. finally, after about 3 hours of winching side to side, i was able to get the jeep up onto land again, after breaking the "pinch unit" that holds the cable onto the winch drum. so we wrap the cable a few spools by hand and tried winching him out. the drum just spooled inside the cable and didnt reel it in, so i decided to tug him out of the creekbed and up the rocky hill lol. before this outing, my clutch was slipping real bad, so i could hardly pull him out, but i managed to do it. on our way out of the trail, my clutch completely went on me and he ended up towing me home. you can see a pic of my buried jeep in my avatar.
EDIT: heres a better pic
StuckInMud94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #22
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt know Ashton Kutcher had a jeep!
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
NotoriousWithag

Ok I have another one. This happened fairly recently.

I was with some friends and we were coming back from spending the day in Washington DC when were on our way to a friends house for a movie night and decide to take a detour and go wheeling for a bit.

Well we get there and I have it in 4lo and im kicking through mudholes left and right and going through river crossings when I notice that while im corssing through the river there are 3 guys on atv's behind me . As soon as I finish crawling through the river I stop on the side and let them pass then follow them.

As their stopped ahead they turn and se eme coming going through mudholes nd flingin mud everywhere. I finally meet up with one of them and one of them says "you look like yer havin fun!, you wanna find a real mud hole?, you should be fine you wont get stuck! "..After talking back and forth for a bit I thought about it, and at first my answer was no but I was reluctant and said yes.

So he leads me to the spot and at first glance it doesent look that deep and its not that wide. I go for it and once Im in I get caught on a ****load of soft mud underneath(even though I have mud tires. So im sitting there with my windows closed and those 3 guys on the atv's watching me, boy did I feel stupid, I was caught on soft mud(not stuck because I could move), and I didnt have my tow straps with me because i had washed them the night before..

after a little talk with my friends I said **** it and go for it. I spent a good 10 minutes trying to rock myself out as soon as got out I put her in neutral, put the brake up, jumped out and just gave a deep breath..

In the process of trying to get myself free I threw it from 1st into revers about 50 billion times, Im suprise I didnt screw up my clutch or anything and I also flung mud forwards and backwards for about 20 feet(according to them) and I even got them covered in mud..

The drive home was fun/embarrasing. After we got back onto the main road my red jeep was now completley covered in mud, there wanst a single spot on it that was red...all of my windows(my drivers side, pasenger side, and both rear plastic windows, and rear plastic window, and mirrors) were COATED in thick layers of mud so I had to drive to my friends house with both of my doors cracked open so I could peek out and look behind me to change lanes since I coudlnt use my windows or mirrors.

talk about embarrasing..
Unread 05-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
dell2028
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got one. I was on my way home one afternoon and passed by a favorite wheeling spot. I noticed there was a car stopped and people were standing around and started to try to get my attention when I drove by. So I turned around and went back to see what was wrong. Well, a guy in a YJ that had only a shackle lift and stock tires was going through a huge mud/water hole. I didn't know how deep it was, just that he was resting on frame when I got there. I got out my tow strap, but it wasn't long enough to get me to firm ground to pull on and I just spun my new 33x12.50 tires. So they said it was alright and they had already called a wrecker. The guy is stuck a long ways from the road and there is quite a lot of deep ruts and mild/thick mud. By the time we got back to the road to see if the wrecker was there the guys wife had already sent them down another trail that lead to the jeep. We looked over and they were already stuck less than 50ft from the start of the trail. They winched themselves out and we decided that they would follow us and I would try to stay on the highest parts of the trail so they could see where to ride with some speed. All was well until the last rut when their tire fell off into it. Now they were stuck to the frame too. Well, I hadn't had my jeep long and I thought it could do anything so I offer my Jeep as a winch point. That was probably the dumbest thing I have ever attempted on a trail. He kept pulling and then I started slidding back. I got out and a guy with a plumbing place down the street has a bulldozer (only 2WD) and says he'll be back. While he's gone we assess the situation and have the tow truck guys falling all over the mud when I notice my bumper brackets are pointed up from the tow truck pull, not good. The bulldozer finally arrives and the truck hooks up the winch and starts to pull while the bulldozer trys to pull him out. Then the winch cable on the truck breaks. Loud bang people ducking. I'm way out of the way at this point so I'm trying to keep a straight face since there is nothing I can do anyway. The bulldozer finally gets a chain and pulls the tow truck out. They then turn around and start to ride out on the three tires. Wait aren't there supposed to be four, yep. Blew a tire when they went in the rut. Bulldozer gets to the YJ and uses the chain to get the guy. After the hook flies off about 4 times into the bulldozer he finally starts to move. The guys gets out and we start to head out with the engine smoking from some water he got in it. We pass the tow truck on the way out from where it got stuck again. Bulldozer gets them unstuck again and everyone has a good laugh before we leave. Best ride home I ever had.

95 YJ, D30/8.8 w/ 4.88s, SOA, 35x14.50x16.5 Pit Bull Mud Dawgs, 101" Wheelbase, Custom Front Bumper, Winch, Custom Rear Tow Points, Traction Bar, Aussie Locker in front, 20 Gal. Gas Tank modification, Hurculiner Tub, Custom Rear Bumper, SYE and CV shaft, BTF Cross-over Steering, RCI 2191 fuel cell, BTF Rockers, RE 1.5" SOA springs up front and XJ springs in the rear

Down the line a bit...engine swap, the list goes on.
dell2028 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
PSUSahara

Story 1

Back when I had a WJ, my cousin and I go wheeln' don some power line trail in NJ. We come accross this swampy area and we figure we can go through it. Now all I has was a 2" lift with stock tires but I also had Quadradrive so I knew it would be hard to get stuck. So I gun it through the first part and I somehow manage to get throgh it and drive up onto the only part of dry land in there. It was either we go through some deeper stuff or go back the way we came which we be almost impossible since we really coulnt turn around. We drive up to the beginning of the water and with the dry land in sight, I gun it into the water. It was way deepr that I thought it was. There weres waves of water comn over the hood and splashing into the windshield. I just kept the gas pedal floored and let the V8 power us through. Well much to out amazement we made it all the way through but as soon as the jeep comes out of the water, it gets hung up about half way up on the center skid. F**K. So we have no way to get out. About an hour later some guys in a huge Chevy truck with 37' or 3's comes by and asks if we need help. I hook up my tow strap to the tow hooks and then to his hitch and he gives it a few hard tugs and then SNAP. The ripped ends of the strap were melted from the friction. He dug out some chain from his bed and got us out. Moral of the story: Never go wheeling alone.
[B]Black Jeep Club #85[/B]

Last edited by PSUSahara; 05-06-2006 at 12:54 PM..
PSUSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
PSUSahara

Story 2

Again with the same WJ. Me and my bro and friend are driving throug an open field and decid to go down a marshy lookn trail. Its about at ngiht so its kinda hard to see where we are going. After about 10 mins. the jeep just sinks and we are going no where. We call my friends dad and we leave it in ther overnight to come bcak in the morning to get it out. Well his truck is a 5.8L F-250 opn 33's and we figure that thing will never get stuck. So were riding down the trail, i'm in the passenger seat while my bro and friend are riding in the bed. All the of the sudden, BAM, we all get jacked out of our seat and the ones in the bed some some air lol. We get out and see the very large rock that my friends dad didnt see. The front tire is popped and off the rim halfway. This majorly sucks. We didnt have a spare so we all walk back and his mom picks us up and we go back to his house to get the spare. Once we get back the real run begins. Now this is in a SE. PA swamp in June during the middle of the day so its crazy hot and plenty of bugs to go around. So as payment for helping me, my friends dad tellms me I gotta change the flat tire off of his truck and put the new one on with some of his help. So I'm literally jumping up and down on the massive socket wrench on one of the very rusted 8 lugs on the wheel. After about 2 hours of that we get it off and get the new one on. With some straping and chaining we get the Jeep attached and pulled out finally. I get under it once we get back into the field to check it out. The entire rear driveshaft is completly wound up with grass and reeds. I was cutting it all out for about 30 mins with a little knife until it all came out. This stuck sucked.
Unread 05-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #27
PSUSahara

Story 3

Now this one was with my TJ. While in NJ we are going through some nice mud holes and this time I have a winch to back me up just in case. Well we get to this one trail which really looked like a huge swamp but i could see that quads had gone through so it looked fine. Against my bro's wished I went through anyway and never the less I got majorly stuck. I now had to winch myself forward enough to get to this drainpipe which had some dry ground on it. After about an hour of that, we somehow manage to get it turned around. Some kids in a stock TJ come by and watch and try to help by directing where to drive and such but no luck. Well I get about halfway back and guess what, the winch died. I was still too far in there to get pulled out by my cousins ZJ. So we stretch the winch line all the way out and he drove back to get some rope and still it wasnt long enough. Now I'm not religous, but I swear the Jeep Gods were watching us that day cuz for some reason the winch magicly came back to life and after we got out it died permanently and it never worked again. I have since gotten a new winch sinch I found that the solenoids were cooked. Makes me wonder how on earth it worked for that short time.

Unread 05-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #28
phydeaux
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousWithag
.......jeep was now completley covered in mud,....COATED in thick layers of mud ......

talk about embarrasing..
Embarrassing?
Dude! You should be proud!
Empty
Every
Pocket
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #29
phydeaux
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quite a few years ago, (I'm not telling how many) I had a 1960 Willys Jeep pick-up, 16x6" rims with the skinniest dang tires you ever saw. She wasn't fast, but with unbelievably low gearing, she could climb just about anything. In 3rd gear, low range, screaming at 3500 rpm, her top speed might've been 10 mph. Anyway, I was on a trail ride at a local old strip mining area with a bunch of CJ's and a couple of the old boxy Broncos and even an IH Scout or two. Everybody but me had big wide mud tires on. (Incidently, BFG Mud Terrains hadn't even been invented yet. Gives you an idea of how long ago this was.) I remember one guy had a Bronco w/ 44's and all the rest were pretty big too. We came across this place they used to call "The Project", a basin cutout with only one way in/out, sheer walls of rock on 3 sides, and in the middle, a puddle of mud so thick and sticky it could no longer be called a puddle. It had the consistency of pudding that had set out in the sun all afternoon. The other guys had no problem floating out over the top and flinging mud as far as the eye could see, spinning and dancing like a 4x4 ballet. It was great fun to watch. Well, it wasn't long before they all started goading me into driving through. I knew it would be waste as there was no way I could get through without sinking up to my frame, but eventually common sense gave way to testosterone and a few beers. "Besides", they said, "we've got plenty here to pull you out."
"Okay", I said, "I'll do it." and off I went. I backed up and got a good running start of about 200 yards or so to get to my maximum output speed of about 45 mph, straight on and gripping the wheel like the back of a rattlesnake's neck, I stopped dead in that thick mud in about 2 truck lengths. Who knew I would be testing G-forces that day? I whacked my forehead against that giant steering wheel hard enough to make me realize I'd been an idiot.
At this point, I should tell you the truck used to be owned by a garage and had been equipped with a snowplow. The motor and blade were useless, but I left all the mounting brackets on for off-road protection. Good for differential protection from rocks, bad for ground clearance. The lower bracket in front of the front axle acted like a plow and just pulled me down down down and pushed all that gooey silly putty mud right up into my engine compartment. I stepped out of the cab and found that this mud was so thick, you could almost walk across the top (as long as you kept moving). I threw up the hood and used a military shovel to dig the mud out from around the fan before I even thought about trying to restart. I got her started easily enough, but this baby was stuck more solid than anything I've ever seen. I couldn't budge her an inch, front or back. It ended up taking 2 CJ5's, a Scout, and big Dodge Power Wagon all hooked together to pull me out. No serious damage but I had chunks of iron ore mud and dirt falling off her for months afterward. To this day, anyone that was on that ride dogs me about that day.
Empty
Every
Pocket
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #30
ps3tv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My most recent embarrasing moment was on the day I bought the Jeep in my signature. I've owned a lot of Jeeps, and this was my fifth TJ, but I had not owned a TJ for almost a year when I bought this Jeep. It was a "magazine Jeep" and had been tricked out for a magazine project, so it was fully modified, but only had 4000 miles on the odometer when I bought it. I knew every mod that had been done to the Jeep, and test drove it before I bought it, and it worked great. But the magazine editor I bought it from had aired down the tires and put it in four wheel drive for me on the test drive. He had then aired up the tires for me afterward, while I had written the check.

On the way home I decided to try four wheeling in an area right next to where I live. I did not bother to air down, and after spending a second or two figuring out how to get the Atlas II into 4-low I did some hillclimbing and rock crawling. I was really impressed at how effortlessly the Jeep crawled up and over three foot diameter rocks, and could not have been more happy with how the Jeep worked. This Jeep was awesome.

Then after trying out the Jeep I drove home and decided to spray off the dust with a garden hose. While spraying off the front wheel I got an embarrasing reminder that this Jeep has locking hubs. All of that big bad four wheeling I had just done had been in two wheel drive, because I had not remembered to lock in the hubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.